Menu

Canada's money got even funnier

Oh, for pity sakes!

Like the government doesn't have better things to spend on than this?! :glare:

I worked cash a few years (Ack! more like 10. Garsh) and was counting up the cash when I noticed a fake five. I caught it by feel but in the stack of fives it also looked obviously fake. I would have caught it if I'd had it passed to me but we had a newer cashier that didn't. I was sort of stunned she thought it was real.

Anyway, point is, even with all the security features of the last bills people were still able to do passable fakes. These new ones look darn near impossible to fake.

I keep wishing that the Americans would add some colour to theirs so I can tell them apart without having to check the numbers.:tongue_smilie:

U.S. bills have got to be some of the most boring in the world. Plus it's so much nicer now in Canada to have coins rather than notes for $1 and $2.:)

When did the Queen come off your currency?

She didn't. The Queen is on coins and on the $20.

As noted in the article:

Laurier is on the $5

MacDonald is on $10

Queen on the $20

Mackenzie King on the $50

Borden on the $100

They're rolling out the $100 bill first. That's why there's no Queen on it.

Edited by Audrey

When did the Queen come off your currency?

She's only on the $20 and the coins. The other bills have former Prime Ministers on the front and different scenes regarding Canadian heritage and history on the back. That's how it's been for as long as I remember and will likely remain that way until someone else takes the throne.

I love the five. It has kids playing hockey and a quote from Roch Carrier's The Hockey Sweater.

Each time I go to the States I meet people that tell me Canad's money is weird because it's in colour.

Well, we are getting new money, and it's even weirder!

Check this out!

http://www.montrealgazette.com/secure+plastic+bank+notes+unveiled/4976595/story.html

Yup, plastic bank notes!

The new birth certificates are similar. I think they're really cool.

Aussie and NZ has had plastic money for YEARS. You guys are sooooo like last century.

Actually Imp, plastic money saves money for the govt as it lasts a lot longer so reprint costs are lower.

And just a FYI for the newbies to the plastic currency, don't iron a garment with plastic money in a pocket. It doesn't end well.

Aussie and NZ has had plastic money for YEARS. You guys are sooooo like last century.

Actually Imp, plastic money saves money for the govt as it lasts a lot longer so reprint costs are lower.

And just a FYI for the newbies to the plastic currency, don't iron a garment with plastic money in a pocket. It doesn't end well.

Any idea how it comes out when it goes through the dryer?

Well about time :tongue_smilie:

When I was living in Canada I though the money was so awful after having used plastic notes for years. Even my Canadian DH thinks plastic is better.

I can't stand using paper money now -it's so grungy :tongue_smilie:

We have the gold coins for the $1 and $2 too but we no longer have 1 cent coins or pennies - the smallest we have is 5 cents -so everything gets rounded to the nearest 5 .

FYI, don't iron. :lol:

It's ok to put the plastic money through the washing machine. It's not something to do deliberately, but you will still have it at the end of the cycle.

:)

Rosie

I know Australia had plastic money, but is it as cool as ours? Does it have transparent windows on it? Does it have colour changing schemes?

Yep.

http://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+australian+notes&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=qw0BTr2cPIH3rQf02MyvDQ&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=830

:)

Rosie

I'm not seeing the cool transparent band we're getting though. Nor the colour changing according to the bill's position

4977341.bin

That building at the lower right actually changes colours when you wave the bill.

(and just let me brag about my country for once! :tongue_smilie: )

We don't have the transparent band, only windows, but I think we have that hologramic (that's probably not a word) type thing on one of the notes. I've only got a fifty on me at the moment and that doesn't have it. So go on, feel cool. Wave that little flag of patriotism.:tongue_smilie:

Rosie

Personally I think that the U.S. should give everyone a bank type card and load all money on to it. Sort of like Paypal, were if someone owes you money, it would just roll into your account. We waste so much paper on money and now Canada is wasting plastic?!

Because everyone would have to have some sort of card reader for every single transaction.

Personally I think that the U.S. should give everyone a bank type card and load all money on to it. Sort of like Paypal, were if someone owes you money, it would just roll into your account. We waste so much paper on money and now Canada is wasting plastic?!

I'm thinking that kind of system would do quite well until the first power outage. :)

Can you fold it up like paper?

It looks really cool. :)

Yep. It's not quite as soft, but still very foldable.

I know Australia had plastic money, but is it as cool as ours? Does it have transparent windows on it? Does it have colour changing schemes?

I bet our money will be ironing-resistant ;-)

Yeah, yeah, we get it. Canada, greatest and most free country in the world :D

Yep. It's not quite as soft, but still very foldable.

Yeah, yeah, we get it. Canada, greatest and most free country in the world :D

If it were free we wouldn't be needing the money now, would we? ;)

She's only on the $20 and the coins. The other bills have former Prime Ministers on the front and different scenes regarding Canadian heritage and history on the back. That's how it's been for as long as I remember and will likely remain that way until someone else takes the throne.

I love the five. It has kids playing hockey and a quote from Roch Carrier's The Hockey Sweater.

I am in the US and currently have about $25 -$35 Canadian in my purse that I never had exchanged back after my last trip to Canada. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the little hockey poem on the 5s!

I am in the US and currently have about $25 -$35 Canadian in my purse that I never had exchanged back after my last trip to Canada. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the little hockey poem on the 5s!

It's a quote from a classic Canadian short story, The Hockey Sweater by Roch Carrier (based on a childhood memory. The National Film Board made a short about it that became just as famous. Here's

, it's a must watch for any Canuckophile.

Basically it's about a young francophone boy in Quebec who LOVES the Montreal Canadiens. He needs a new jersey, his mother sends away for one and gets *gasp* a Toronto Maple Leafs sweater. She insists he wear it.

Edited by WishboneDawn
Forgot the link!