Menu

So what would the new term be?

I just realized something in the dumbing down thread. Many of us who "homeschool" and the new ones that everyone seems to think are so terrible don't really want to homeschool as it was originally defined. Homeschooling seemed to be born out of a very conservative Christian home needs to be the center of all things kind of idea. Home is the best place to teach everything.

I agree to a point. A lot of us newer homeschoolers just want the best education, period. I want it to be unique to the individual student. That may mean everything at home with mom designed courses, it may been CC, online, etc. For my daughter who loves music, drama, etc It may mean a lot of time outside the home with violin lessons, piano lessons, choir, drama/community theater things, etc. It won't be the same.

Several moms on here are so upset at the fact that it is not the mom teaching everything, but I really don't think that is a bad thing necessarily. So what are we? What is our new term. I'm not a homeschooler. I'm a best education for each of my children for each subject kind of mom. Im a .....

Christine

Here is the post that got me thinking:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beth in Mint Hill viewpost.gif

:iagree:

It saddens me so much to see the way "homeschoolers" do it these days! THey should be called "runaround schoolers"--out of their insecurity to teach they run around seeking others to teach everything. If only they knew how empowering it was to learn so that you can teach.

MY advice to young homeschoolers with little wiggly 8yo students. Let them play a little more in the woods while you do your teacher training. It goes on in the "real" schools all the time. The value that this will be to your kids when they are 10yo s will be immeasurable.

The catch is that you have to be committed to it long term this way. Too many moms are doing it on a year by year basis and so they are paranoid of getting 2 months behind!! Oh me, oh my!

:tongue_smilie:

Well, part of it may be that a lot of homeschoolers are like me. Basically I want the BEST education for every subject, so I search and search to find the best wherever it may be. We don't think ps offers the best... I don't think home offers the best necessarily..it depends on the home. I've enjoyed educating myself over the last few years. TOG has helped a lot with that but my homeschooling co-op finds me intimidating in creating my own materials all the time because I never, ever use anything exactly as written. I love tweaking, but tweaking is also exhausting and I am just very, very, very tired and the boys are so old. I'm ready for someone else to do it...at least part of it. ( Especially since the 14yo thinks I'm not the smartest cookie. Part of him is tired of mom as the teacher. I'm not man enough.) I'm probably rambling, but to many of the new homeschoolers it is about education..the best education, not about home. Maybe we need a new word... but I'm not sure what it is.

I'm the only homeschooler in my church. I tell them as well as anyone else: homeschooling isn't for everyone. There are pros and cons to every form of education you choose. There are great ps students and teachers. There are awful ones. There are fabulous homeschoolers. There are atrocious homeschoolers. Most of us fall somewhere in between. All forms of education have gaps.

Christine

progress.gif

I think that if you think of the qualifier - home, public, private, prep, or whatever - as the origin of the educational decisions rather than the location of the work, then the term homeschool still works.

But if you can't live with that, then I think something involving the word independent or individualized would be nice. How about indischooler? Or indyschooler? It has the same connotations as an indy film or an indy bookstore. : )

-Nan

Homeschooling seemed to be born out of a very conservative Christian home needs to be the center of all things kind of idea. Home is the best place to teach everything.

Im a .....

Christine

1. First I disagree, respectfully, with the birth of the movement. John Holt ( I doubt very much that he was a "conservative" Christian!) was really the very first advocate for homeschooling, and this grew out of his own teaching experience and association with Summerhill (in England). Of course, there were other homeschoolers at the time, but he was the first published, vocal advocate about it, closely followed by the Moore's and others.

2. I am an intentional parent. I homeschool and outsource when it's appropriate and fits with my greater, overall vision.

We're finding that we love The Potter's School and plan to use them more as the kids get older. My ps friends still consider us homeschooling, but my homeschooling friends don't necessarily think so. (BTW, Potter's School is clear that they still consider us homeschoolers, and parents are still very involved!) Most can't imagine why we'd choose this kind of hybrid method over their own choice.

It reminds me of when I went to part time work after my first baby was born. My stay-at-home mom friends couldn't believe I was still working, and my full time friends didn't understand why I was allowing myself to become more dependent on my husband's salary. I didn't make either happy then either!

2. I am an intentional parent. I homeschool and outsource when it's appropriate and fits with my greater, overall vision.

:iagree: For me, it's not about parents teaching everything -- and, in my case at least, limiting my kids to how deeply I can learn and discuss and calculate and teach three kids their school work with all the other balls in the air. Also, I'm not willing to send my kids off to their rooms with workbooks for every subject just so I can say that we are homeschooling 100% at home with no outside teachers. (And, I don't mean that in a snotty tone, but, I suppose, having gone to an ACE school for some of my own education, I do have an opinion on workbooks for every subject.)

Cheers! :D

Edited by profmom

I like indy schooler. It sounds hip.

And I agree - there's definitely a segment of the homeschooling population who thinks that everything should be done at home by mom (possibly dad). I've had people tell me that I could do speech therapy with my dc instead of hiring a qualified therapist who knows what she's doing. that might work for somebody who's got a little problem, but I have four boys with severe problems. Um, right. I've had it suggested that I could watch DVDs for my physical therapy. And on and on. Home birth, despite the fact that I'd rather go to a birth center. Etc.

I just ignore it now. :lol:

... homeschooler. :D

The one definition is way too narrow for who we all are. :)

I take a very broad definition. If your child isn't attending public or private school, and you've not got them locked up in the basement and they're learning, :001_huh: you're homeschooling.

Something about customizing. I custom knit my children's education to fit each one of them and their very different needs.

My older DD discusses everything to the Nth degree - my ears get tired. I put her in Veritas Press Scholars Academy and Classical Conversations. It hardly feels like outsourcing when I'm usually sitting with her (being the peanut gallery) and then we discuss the class discussion when it's over! LOL!

For DD11, I felt guilty that I was terrible about doing science labs with her this year. She joined DD14 for a few of her labs, but doing science labs is just like cooking. I'm happy to teach science and do labs for a group of kids, but it's not as fun to do it for only 1. This fall I'm outsourcing her science to a paid class so she gets the labs and then the next year I'm planning to offer science at our mom-led co-op so I can teach it to a class of children.

Another example I hear criticized is Teaching Textbooks (putting kids in front of a computer instead of mom teaching it). I love math and DD11 and I get along just great doing math together, but DD14 is not able to receive math instruction in the style that I teach it. It's like an accountant teaching math to an artist. Teaching Textbooks works for her. DD11 dislikes TT, and that's just fine with me. I try to meet each of my children where they are, and customize their curriculum accordingly.

It's amazing to me that people would look down their nose at me for outsourcing some of my children's education. It allows me to focus on the areas that I want to prioritize at home each year (and this varies each year). For our family, I think it's good for my kids to get different perspectives - even if they're a little different (or very different) from mine. It leads to more discussion and I'm able to better prepare them to live in the world, not of the world.

I guess this topic struck a nerve for me...

Edited by amtmcm

We're finding that we love The Potter's School and plan to use them more as the kids get older. My ps friends still consider us homeschooling, but my homeschooling friends don't necessarily think so. (BTW, Potter's School is clear that they still consider us homeschoolers, and parents are still very involved!) Most can't imagine why we'd choose this kind of hybrid method over their own choice.

It reminds me of when I went to part time work after my first baby was born. My stay-at-home mom friends couldn't believe I was still working, and my full time friends didn't understand why I was allowing myself to become more dependent on my husband's salary. I didn't make either happy then either!

Oh yes -- I've been there too!! There are so many strong opinions out there, and it frustrates people when something doesn't fit into their black and white definitions!

I like everyone's terminology. Indyschooler, intentional parenting, educational facilitator. I like Nan's explanation that the decisions are parent based, therefore it is still homeschooling.

If I may digress a bit. I'm with Laughing Lioness in looking to John Holt as the founding father of homeschooling, and it is his relaxed and gentle approach that still guides me. It isn't that I don't want my children to have an excellent education, but I don't see that education as solely coming from the BEST materials and curriculum. The material isn't what matters, it is the process of reading, thinking, discussing and questioning. This happens to be how we live life as a family -- thinking, sharing and discussing, and I've come to realize that it is the most important factor in the success of my children's education.

We are all moms (well, mostly, I assume:tongue_smilie:) who love our kids and are trying to do the best we can. And we are homeschoolers, women who have taken control of our children's education. Rock on, ladies!

1. First I disagree, respectfully, with the birth of the movement. John Holt ( I doubt very much that he was a "conservative" Christian!) was really the very first advocate for homeschooling, and this grew out of his own teaching experience and association with Summerhill (in England). Of course, there were other homeschoolers at the time, but he was the first published, vocal advocate about it, closely followed by the Moore's and others.

I don't think the terminology can be changed. It is just a catchall term meaning the local school district is not directing the child's education. If I want to be sarcastic I would say the new term is "parenting" but I never really cared how anyone accomplished their educational goals.

I think the idea of educating your own children has become mainstream and homeschool is just the word people are using - kind of like saying Kleenex instead of facial tissue or something else more specific. Everything else just sounds awkward and formal.

I also think the idea of educating your own kids is going through some changes and growing pains and it will all settle out in a few years.

Guest Dulcimeramy
Old Fart?

But only if I'm complaining and lamenting about how the "new" homeschoolers do things. Otherwise I'm still just a homeschooler.

:gnorsi:

I am a newbie - just completed year 1 of homeschooling DD7. I too have found I don't fit into the traditional categories of homeschooling. But one day I was talking to a friend and she said "You've never fit in. You've always gone off on the path less taken." Finally I felt like I understood WHY I don't fit-I'm too busy doing my own thing.

Life is not "one size fits all". I wonder how many of us homeschoolers have always been independent and never followed trends. There are many misconceptions about HS and as more of us choose to control our childrens' education, there will be some new "normals" to evolve. But for now I'm content to say "We're homeschooling." and see the shock on the faces of people (we live in small town where few HS). HA!

I like IndySchooler. I like the comment about "customizing" your child's education. Maybe by the time my 7 yr old is in high school, we'll have a better term. So come own gang, what other names can we come up with? We're a craft and creative crew! We can do it!

I don't like being divisive, but I don't think it is necessarily a good thing when every option outside of full time public and private school is called homeschooling. At the same time, it most certainly is divisive to say that certain people don't count as homeschoolers because we say so. Hmmm

We called it hybrid-schooling because we did plenty at home, but we did use other resources (college, co-op, online, etc) also.

I think that there is an issue when people are running around nuts, especially with 5 and 8 yr olds. But for high school, I think there is MORE of an issue if people don't use ANY outside lessons of any sort.

(BTW, when my kids were little, we called it Kimyschooling and Tyschooling because though we did everything "from" home, we didn't subscribe only to one style of homeschooling)

Edited by 2J5M9K

I just realized something in the dumbing down thread. Many of us who "homeschool" and the new ones that everyone seems to think are so terrible don't really want to homeschool as it was originally defined. Homeschooling seemed to be born out of a very conservative Christian home needs to be the center of all things kind of idea. Home is the best place to teach everything.

I think that's a false dichotomy. I teach all of my dc's subjects, but I am actually quite opposed to the "home as the center of our world" Christian model (and don't think that goes over well in my conservative Christian circles. ;)) I don't know that one goes with the other always. We are out and about voluteering, participating, etc. But I don't outsource subject areas (unless you want to count music and art.) I can teach them myself quite well, even if it sometimes means I have to learn them first or pull in resources to hep like a DVD.

I didn't really get into that end of the other conversation, because I don't see it as a bad thing that people use outside resources to teach. I do agree that the sometimes-accompanying implication that "moms can't do it" is dangerous. There are now entire companies built up to convince homeschool moms that they need outside help or they are failing their dc. That runs contrary to the fight to get to the point where people don't say, "But how can you teach your kids without a certification?" :D

ETA: I also think there's a difference between those who outsource some high school classes and those who outsource out of fear or mom's need for approval. I know some women who seem to think it doesn't count as homeschooling (or parenting) unless it is done in public or with an audience. Everything has to be a group project, done with everyone else's attention on them, done with others to validate that it is the right thing, etc. I can't even begin to lump them in with the mom who uses a couple of online high school classes.

Edited by angela in ohio

I didn't really get into that end of the other conversation, because I don't see it as a bad thing that people use outside resources to teach. I do agree that the sometimes-accompanying implication that "moms can't do it" is dangerous. There are now entire companies built up to convince homeschool moms that they need outside help or they are failing their dc. That runs contrary to the fight to get to the point where people don't say, "But how can you teach your kids without a certification?" :D

ETA: I also think there's a difference between those who outsource some high school classes and those who outsource out of fear or mom's need for approval. I know some women who seem to think it doesn't count as homeschooling (or parenting) unless it is done in public or with an audience. Everything has to be a group project, done with everyone else's attention on them, done with others to validate that it is the right thing, etc. I can't even begin to lump them in with the mom who uses a couple of online high school classes.

I agree that parents should not be required or made to feel like they need a certificate, and I don't want anyone, including myself, to make decisions out of fear. In our case, the Classical Track program at The Potter's School fits this particular dd perfectly! So, this is what we're choosing for her. I can't say whether we will take this path with our others.

How about delusional? :tongue_smilie:

There are plenty of days when I just feel like I'm kidding myself about accomplishing anything.

If we had opportunity and money I'd probably be outsourcing a few things next year. Alas, both are in short supply, so it's all up to me to plan and him to appreciate. Somewhere along those lines we'll meet up together and plunge back into the forest of this thing that's supposed to be an education.

My son, on one of his college apps, gave me the occupation "rabble-rouser". So does that make me, in terms of my homeschool, a rabble-raiser?

There was a blog button going around (I think it's still on mine) that says Educational Anarchist. I like that as well. :D

There was a blog button going around (I think it's still on mine) that says Educational Anarchist. I like that as well. :D

I have that t-shirt. I usually wear it on the first and last days of school. I could wear it while planning, I wonder if it's clean? :lol:

My son, on one of his college apps, gave me the occupation "rabble-rouser". So does that make me, in terms of my homeschool, a rabble-raiser?

Hmm, let's see, my son calls me a Dictator, so how about Dictatative Directors for my section of the homeschool world?

And then Jane helped me come up with Domestic Didacticist a few months ago, but I don't think that fits, because I think the implication is educating oneself, as opposed to coordinating your children's education.

Cerebral Coordinators?

I agree to a point. A lot of us newer homeschoolers just want the best education, period. I want it to be unique to the individual student. That may mean everything at home with mom designed courses, it may been CC, online, etc. For my daughter who loves music, drama, etc It may mean a lot of time outside the home with violin lessons, piano lessons, choir, drama/community theater things, etc. It won't be the same.

Several moms on here are so upset at the fact that it is not the mom teaching everything, but I really don't think that is a bad thing necessarily. So what are we? What is our new term. I'm not a homeschooler. I'm a best education for each of my children for each subject kind of mom. Im a .....

Christine

LOL.....our local "we'll teach your kids everything for you" co-op refers to it as "parent-managed education" vs. homeschooling. :lol:

FWIW, I have no problem w/the term homeschooling when parents are involved. My concern is about moms who think they aren't qualified to teach anything, even primary grades. :tongue_smilie: My concern is just how did we as homeschoolers end up accepting the idea that we can't do b/c we don't have specialized training. It is the acceptance of the arguments against the right to homeschool that leaves me :confused:

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

LOL.....our local "we'll teach your kids everything for you" co-op refers to it as "parent-managed education" vs. homeschooling. :lol:

Yep. I was all excited a few years ago to find that a group in a nearby city does a big "How to Homeschool High School" night once a year. I registered and went for the evening, all excited. Everything was about the "transition to mom-facilitator instead of mom-teacher." They gave out lists of umbrella organizations, information about middle college and the community college, and brochures for co-ops and online classes. When I asked about picking out curriculum and creating transcripts, they looked at me like I was so naive. :D

FWIW, I have no problem w/the term homeschooling when parents are involved. My concern is about moms who think they aren't qualified to teach anything, even primary grades. :tongue_smilie: My concern is just how did we as homeschoolers end up accepting the idea that we can't do b/c we don't have specialized training.

This is how I perceived your "rants" on the "dumbed-down curriculum" thread. It's why I-the-inexperienced-and-uneducated am always encouraged by your posts. You're awesome to come here and explain yourself.

Oh well I went to a homeschooling group once. My husband was all excited that I could get curriculum advice and 'talk shop' as it were. I had to break the news to him that most of the participants were unschoolers. I am not sure what to make of people who ask me about co-ops and group classes. (Mind you, some of this was when my oldest was 6.) So yeah I am not sure it's homeschooling when the child is in a group setting, taught by a non-parent for every class, for a fee. There's a group like that near me. To me, that's a private school or tutoring or something. However i really think the term is probably loose enough to include the sorts of things most people talk about here.

LOL.....our local "we'll teach your kids everything for you" co-op refers to it as "parent-managed education" vs. homeschooling.

FWIW, I have no problem w/the term homeschooling when parents are involved. My concern is about moms who think they aren't qualified to teach anything, even primary grades. My concern is just how did we as homeschoolers end up accepting the idea that we can't do b/c we don't have specialized training. It is the acceptance of the arguments against the right to homeschool that leaves me

I totally agree with this. We really don't need experts or retired homeschooling parents telling us how to educate our children. We're not teaching curricula, we're teaching our kids.

Unfortunately, so many parents are afraid or overwhelmed or overtaxed by life that they need help. And that's okay too.

We participate in a co-op because of my daughter. I live in a neighborhood devoid of children. I attend a church full of pre-teens and toddlers. I have one teen daughter, and no nieces her age. If we didn't join a co-op, my daughter would have no girl friends her own age--not one.

For me, it's definitely worth it to attend one day a week.

But there's no way I would give over control of my daughter's education. That's the reason I homeschool. Hopefully, more homeschooling parents will feel empowered to decide what's best for their children rather than making decisions out of fear.

It sounds to me like some of us are allschoolers or maybe everyschoolers?

But those sound kind of like we're trying to put everyone in our schools so I'll just say I like the indyschool idea.

My oldest used Keystone online school for her freshman year last year. It definitely felt like some of our local homeschoolers thought I'd given up homeschooling. I just felt she needed an outside opinion on grades as I'd been very busy and unable to keep up with her grading. Next year she's doing more classes with me at home, so maybe they'll be a bit more accepting.

I am an intentional parent. I homeschool and outsource when it's appropriate and fits with my greater, overall vision.

Call me out-to-lunch, if you like, but I thought that this is what people, in general, do. There is nothing "magic" about me being a teacher. I don't even see it as a religious requirement. In Biblical times, parents in Israel "outsourced" the academic/religious education of their sons routinely.

With an 8" steel rod in one leg, I'm hardly going to teach my dd ice skating. Although I studied a great deal of Russian in graduate school, I couldn't say "no" to having a bilingual educator teach one ds Russian for his high school language component. I played viola very well in high school and college, but my ability pales before the talent of dd's concert violinist teacher. Etc.

Having a non-parent as the teacher for certain subjects teaches children a respect for the abilities and authority of other adults. Good early exposure to skills needed in the workplace, too.

No matter who teaches what to my children, I'm still the Principal and Lead Educator who coordinates everything and makes decisions.

Christine

homeschooler.

I didn't really care for that other thread. And I don't even outsource. I don't know why it struck me wrong and upset me alot. A lot of decent options or only options got dragged through the mud and made to sound so inferior.

And I'm grumpy about life at this red hot moment so :tongue_smilie:

keep homeschooler.

hard work!

There are subjects I have little difficulty teaching on the fly (history and lit), then there are subjects that require I learn along with dss (math & science). I chose to oursource science this year for three reasons. 1) I simply didn't want to do the work necessary to do justice to the topic. 2) I felt a teacher with a background in the subject would provide an expertise I couldn't. 3) And, I wanted ds as a soon to be high schooler to experience accountability to an outside source. I outsourced composition this year as well. We loved the detailed critique ds's instructor provided - a critique I wouldn't have been capable of providing under any circumstances.

Our experience was exactly has I had hoped it would be. We used Potter's School and Laural Tree Tutorials.

I'm sure that many homeschooling parents are fully capable of teaching 100% of their children's courses. I don't see using other resources as a failure or a negative but as one option among many.

I like hybrid homeschooling...which is what we do for high school. I am still in charge of the education, I teach most of the core subjects...BUT, I have no qualms about farming out some courses such as logic :tongue_smilie: bleh....

Or music theory....or burner controls.

I think the OP that is on spun off lost it's original purpose...which was talking about the quality of homeschool curricula. I bowed out when it made the left turn. :D

I think as a homeschooler, we need to be aware of our goals and keep them firmly in sight. Some of us focus on academics, some on family closeness, some on family independence from the "system," some on spiritual development, some on bringing their sn kids along, some providing a challenging program for their gifted/talented kids, etc. Most of us a combination of these.

Anyway, hybrid homeschooling is my choice of terminology.

Faith

I think I like 'Indyschooler' the best. The other terms, Intentional Parent etc., sound so.....uppity and snotty. Sorry! But have run into too many homeschooling parents here that play that type of name game........

Me: 'My husband and I are 50/50 in our house and relationship' ;)

Stuck Up Homeschool Parent: "WELL---WE are each 100%"!!

Okaay, thanks for the put down! I don't think ALL homeschool parents can teach it all perfectly, but for us, Potter's School, CC courses etc. are FINANCIALLY out of the question! I think in a way, homeschooling is turning out a lot like Private Schooling in that it gets to be a 'Look at Me and How Much we Can Afford to Give our Children' game, making those of us who are less financially well off and not able to provide the expensive distance learning or CC courses feel like...well....less 'rigorous' homeschoolers. So instead of driving up in the Mercedes or Acura to pick up little Johny or Sally from the expensive private school to drive them to their expensive after school sports or activities, it's sending little Johny or Sally Homeschooler to various and sundry expensive online schooling or expensive CC courses or many and various expensive extracurriculars. I guess I too would love to sit back and not have to plan and schedule our 100% At Home Homeschool curriculum for hours on end during summers----with my butt going numb from sitting on the floor erasing and whiting out and planning while I hope and pray that my Home Designed curriculum on a shoestring budget is 'rigorous' enough-----reusing old schedules, erasing old workbooks, printing off free schedules for this and that online and 'send' my son to Potter's School or just 'facilitate' their learning with 'real teachers' with my checkbook. But we can't-----so we do pretty much everything.....at Home. :001_huh:

:lol:

Really though, I don't see the point. If some one disagrees with you and how you parent/educate, what difference does it make? There are always going to be people that disagree with you, there will always be those greater and lesser than yourself.

Wasting energy worrying and complaining about the beliefs of those that disagree is so pointless, unless you like that sort of conflict. I've met too many NEW homeschoolers who think they have it all figured out and that we older ones are doing it wrong....hmmmm, kind of reminds me of the rebellious youth teens. Wow, I feel old.

Really though, I don't see the point. If some one disagrees with you and how you parent/educate, what difference does it make? There are always going to be people that disagree with you, there will always be those greater and lesser than yourself.

Wasting energy worrying and complaining about the beliefs of those that disagree is so pointless, unless you like that sort of conflict. I've met too many NEW homeschoolers who think they have it all figured out and that we older ones are doing it wrong....hmmmm, kind of reminds me of the rebellious youth teens. Wow, I feel old.

:D. :iagree::iagree:

From another old fogey,

Faithe

Me: 'My husband and I are 50/50 in our house and relationship' ;)

Stuck Up Homeschool Parent: "WELL---WE are each 100%"!!

I know a handful of homeschool moms like that. I try to avoid them, but sometimes I have no choice but to have conversations with them, and it always leaves me feeling battered. :glare:

I think that there is an issue when people are running around nuts, especially with 5 and 8 yr olds. But for high school, I think there is MORE of an issue if people don't use ANY outside lessons of any sort.

Why?

There are plenty of days when I just feel like I'm kidding myself about accomplishing anything.

If we had opportunity and money I'd probably be outsourcing a few things next year. Alas, both are in short supply, so it's all up to me to plan and him to appreciate. Somewhere along those lines we'll meet up together and plunge back into the forest of this thing that's supposed to be an education.

Exactly----$$$ + Opportunity=21st Century Rigorous Homeschooling. I guess our family is just too 20th Century...or maybe 19th? Oh well, I guess we'll just take our chances with the way our personal economy is going ;)