Menu

PSA-slightly late but better late than never.

:iagree:

The only thing that saved it for me was that the guys were funny.

Otherwise it was just horrid - a lot of the actors were very unattractive - I did not enjoy looking at them for all those hours :lol:

I did like the Dancing Queen scene :D

Oh, where's your sense of fun? I loved the movie- I think it was meant to be ridiculous and it was light hearted and fun because of it. :lol: Not meant to be a deep and meaningful!

:iagree: It was so bad, you couldn't not like it, or sing along with it.:D

I thought I was the only one! So many of my friends love it. It just seemed to drag on and on and on and on. Everytime someone started singing I was groaning. I even fast forwarded it through some parts. I didn't think it was funny at all.

And I love musicals. I love Pierce Brosnan. Abba music is ok. But really.

The only redeeming thing, in my opinion, was the setting- the brilliance and color of the Island. I wished I was there.

Oh, where's your sense of fun? I loved the movie- I think it was meant to be ridiculous and it was light hearted and fun because of it. :lol: Not meant to be a deep and meaningful!

It is one of my very favorite pick me ups. I grin from ear to ear the entire movie and we love to watch it in sing a long mode and bounce on the bed the whole time. :D

Meryl Streep is sublime and who cares is Pierce is not singer, he is so pretty.:lol:

Maybe is is because I was a huge Abba fan and they are in it too, Christine Baranski slayed me in her big number and Mrs. Weasley is fabulous. It takes me back a little and it makes me smile.

It is one of my very favorite pick me ups. I grin from ear to ear the entire movie and we love to watch it in sing a long mode and bounce on the bed the whole time. :D

Meryl Streep is sublime and who cares is Pierce is not singer, he is so pretty.:lol:

Maybe is is because I was a huge Abba fan and they are in it too, Christine Baranski slayed me in her big number and Mrs. Weasley is fabulous. It takes me back a little and it makes me smile.

:iagree: It is a movie to watch just for fun and singing along. It is also fun to see some of those actors doing parts that are so "out of character" for them.

My boys flipped across it last night. It had just started. I've never seen it, but I knew some people really liked it.

Then the singing started, the dialogue between dh and ds was hilarious.

dh: They're singing

ds: Ugh!

dh: Is this a musical?

me yelling from the dining room: YES

ds: really?

dh: I didn't think they made musicals anymore.

ds: (laughing)

dh: Let's see what else is on.

:lol::lol::lol:West Side Story and Sound of Music will now get put on the Netflix queue, in between Godzilla movies.

:iagree: I love Mamma Mia! It is SO not my typical movie, but I love ABBA! Oh, and location, location, location. What a beautiful Greek island!

But it is FUN!!!! And the turquoise sea makes me want to go to a Greek island NOW! And Streep, Long Legs and Molly Weasley look like they are having a blast! This is the go-to fun movie for 17-yr-old dd and I.

Party-pooper!:tongue_smilie:

I think the poor singing by some of the characters represents Regular Folks like us - if Pierce can gargle out a tune ( or Mr. Darcy!!!) w/o falling through the floor in embarrassment, so we I!

Dancing Queen!

Edited by JFSinIL

:iagree: Oh, yeah! It was such a fun movie. Don't watch it intending to be serious about it.

I caught the tail-end of it on cable yesterday and had to pull out my dvd (finally found it in oldest dd's room) and watch the whole thing. The little guys came out and danced with me whenever a song was on. :D

I will admit the first time I saw it was in theatres and the first time Pierce Brosnan sang, the whole theatre got quiet and then you slowly heard giggling, that gradually grew to fill the whole theatre. I think they remixed his singing for the dvd, or the Dolby surround sound in the theatre just made it worse.

That was a fun evening. A bunch of mostly middle-aged women laughing and singing along and even getting up dancing for the closing credits.

:iagree: I loved it, have the soundtrack on my iphone, and even got the dvd for Christmas. I know, Pierce Brosnan can't sing, but I do so love him.

I thought I was the only one! So many of my friends love it. It just seemed to drag on and on and on and on. Everytime someone started singing I was groaning. I even fast forwarded it through some parts. I didn't think it was funny at all.

And I love musicals. I love Pierce Brosnan. Abba music is ok. But really.

The only redeeming thing, in my opinion, was the setting- the brilliance and color of the Island. I wished I was there.

My friends chose to go to the movie in a theater on a girls' night out. I really wish I could have left and got my money back.

Well dh shut down when Streep started in before the wedding. That was the worst movie ever, but it was fun watching Firth and Brosnan sing and dance. The only description I can come up with is a middle aged romp. :D

I think I need to watch me some P&P and a little Bond to cleanse my mind. :tongue_smilie:

All this talk got to me, and I had to put it in tonight. :D It's such a beautiful movie, I think the first I saw on Blu-Ray.

At least everyone sang their parts, it could have been worse with bad voice-overs. I hate when they do that.:tongue_smilie: