Menu

How did they miss THAT?

I remember watching reports on the tsunami in Indonesia. The CNN commentator had the words “Tsunami hits Indonesia” superimposed over the Indian flag. This stayed up there for 2 hours!

Products of the ps system, in both cases, I suppose.

There's a huge sign at a used car place I pass at least a couple days a week that says "Satisfaction Gauranteed" Whenever I pass it, I wonder why no one bothered to check the spelling at either the car dealership or the sign making place.

Well, it's not exactly a misspelling, though. "Get your just deserts," as a standard phrase, is spelled correctly: a "desert" (not pronounced like the hot, dry place, but as deh-ZERT) is a thing you deserve. The problem is they're trying to pun on "dessert," and for the pun to work in a written form, you have to pick one spelling or the other. I suppose they could have written "Get your just des(s)erts," but that's a little like explaining the joke, and makes it not funny.

Not that it was all that funny to begin with; it's a pretty hackneyed pun.

That is not incorrect.

At the risk of sounding like a loon, how is it wrong?

I was wondering this too. That's the correct spelling of the phrase. The pun comes in because it is pronounced like "desserts." (e.g. ice cream)

Well, it's not exactly a misspelling, though. "Get your just deserts," as a standard phrase, is spelled correctly: a "desert" (not pronounced like the hot, dry place, but as deh-ZERT) is a thing you deserve. The problem is they're trying to pun on "dessert," and for the pun to work in a written form, you have to pick one spelling or the other. I suppose they could have written "Get your just des(s)erts," but that's a little like explaining the joke, and makes it not funny.

Not that it was all that funny to begin with; it's a pretty hackneyed pun.

Aha! Now it makes sense. Thanks for explaining it!