Menu

Scholastic Dollar Deals

MelanieM

Oh man, I am a sucker for these dollar sales. :glare: Gotta go look...:lol:

Me too! I bought a bunch of stuff last time, and just checked out with another 8 items today. But you can't beat the price, so I'm thrilled when these sales come along!

I've tried to order. When I put it in my cart it shows up as full price.

Has anyone else had better luck?

This happened to me last night. I went back this morning and it was fine. I'm thinking it's a glitch on Scholastic's end and will maybe self-correct again?

They are $1 in my cart right now. I know the last couple of sales they have had some glitches in the beginning. Especially the first couple of days of the sale. There are also times when the site will run so. very. slow. But it usually works out in the end and is definitely worth it!!

Darn these sales. Just when I "have everything I need" they have to go and do one of these things. :glare: Now I am obligated to go check through their inventory.

Anyone know of any must-haves from here. Some look really good but there are over 500 to sort through. Considering I don't need anything- anyone know of something pretty cool?

Guest jab300

Just got done ordering 10 books! I highly recommend the Easy Make & Learn Human Body book, we used that this year with our human body study and it was fantastic. Sigh, money never sits for long in my Paypal account lol.:)

Guest jab300

ACK! I'm trying to download my books, I click the download icon in the pdf but nothing happens. However, the Scholastic site says I only have 2 downloads left (instead of three.) Anyone have this happen?

ACK! I'm trying to download my books, I click the download icon in the pdf but nothing happens. However, the Scholastic site says I only have 2 downloads left (instead of three.) Anyone have this happen?

This is what happened to me last time. Try right clicking on the link and chose "save target as...".

Guest jab300
This is what happened to me last time. Try right clicking on the link and chose "save target as...".

That worked! Thanks so much. :001_smile:

I am so frustrated with Scholastic. I just ordered 15 downloadables and tried opening two of them several times--I am getting some kind of "no plug-in" response? Because I tried multiple times for each one, it looks like I have no more chances to download them, even though I paid for them! I wrote to customer service but can't even try to download the rest now. Anyone know what is wrong?

Darn you people, seducing me with your $1 sales! :glare:

:lol::lol::lol:

:tongue_smilie: I know...I was thinking the same thing! But the Shakespeare folders look like they will be a nice addition to our Shakespeare studies. Can't go wrong for $1 each!

I was just hoping for an announcement of a new sale.

JessyC, that happend to me, my first time ordering. My iPad glitched up and I didn't know what I was doing and lost 2 books. Customer service never responded to me, but I know they have responded to other people and reset the downloads for them.

Anyone know of any must-haves from here. Some look really good but there are over 500 to sort through. Considering I don't need anything- anyone know of something pretty cool?

:iagree:

Someone already mentioned the Easy Make & Learn Human Body book, so that's on my list to check out. What other stuff are you guys buying or have you bought at past sales? I don't NEED anything, but these printables look great. I just have zero time right now to browse!!!

:lurk5:

I always have to browse in little increments of time. If I save something to my cart, will it be there the next day?

I don't know how long before the cart refreshes, but I did lose my contents the other day so it won't stay there forever. But they do have a wish list feature, so if you register/login first you can use that.

15 Fun and Easy Games for Young Learners: MATH

by Susan Julio

Some of them could perhaps be improved, by for instance, using more cards than specified. Some are better than others. Take advantage of the ability to see the entire inside before buying.

I am new to this sale, are there any must have's that people have ordered before and really loved. I have a 3rd and 4th grader. Thanks...

I'm new too, but from browsing the Dollar Deals section, I like what I see of Donald Silver's books. He's the author of the One Small Square.. series.

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=price&price=1%2C10&q=Donald+Silver

I'm strongly considering the "Instant Habitat Dioramas" and "Easy Make and Learn Projects: Human Body" from this sale. Now, I'm art-challenged (and DS is too young for cutting these) so if every project turns out a sticky mess, I'll come back and update this thread. :lol

I don't know if these are inculded in the sale, but we bought them at the last sale and liked them:

Funny Fairy Tale Math

Dazzling Math Line Drawings -great fun

2nd Grade Basic Skills-great for just double-checking your kids knows his/her basics. We use this for my K-er, so grade level seems a bit off. They also have a First Grade Basic Skills which seems suited for a preschooler or K-er.

The Reader's Theatre books are great! There are many that go perfectly with the topics in sotw.

Do you mind sharing some of the book titles? I did a search using the words "reader" and "theatre" and I'm not finding anything. Thanks!! :001_smile:

Do you mind sharing some of the book titles? I did a search using the words "reader" and "theatre" and I'm not finding anything. Thanks!! :001_smile:

Here is the Egypt one.

The Middle Ages

Explorers

Here is the page with "World History". The Greek Myths mini books one is sort of cool (though I haven't read it yet to see how/if they butchered the myths themselves...)

Heather

2nd Grade Basic Skills-great for just double-checking your kids knows his/her basics. We use this for my K-er, so grade level seems a bit off. They also have a First Grade Basic Skills which seems suited for a preschooler or K-er.

Did he really like the 2nd Grade Basic Skills?

I printed the First Grade Basic Skills and dd found it boring, although that is where she is in Math. The Reading Comprehension questions were rather below her level.

The second worksheet in this book had an Algebra-type problem which involved negative numbers. I was surprised to see it.

2 + 0 = __ + 3 = __ + 4 = __

And then there were the seemingly less useful problems like: 2 + __ = __ + 2 = __ + 2 = __

(BTW these questions caused a meltdown initially, because, although she knows negative numbers, she still needs help with interpreting the equal sign correctly in problems like 5 + 3 = __ + 2. Without help, she will write an 8 in the blank box. She can do 5 + __ = 8. We are working at getting her to see the complete problem before attempting to solve it.)

Did he really like the 2nd Grade Basic Skills?

I printed the First Grade Basic Skills and dd found it boring, although that is where she is in Math. The Reading Comprehension questions were rather below her level.

The second worksheet in this book had an Algebra-type problem which involved negative numbers. I was surprised to see it.

2 + 0 = __ + 3 = __ + 4 = __

And then there were the seemingly less useful problems like: 2 + __ = __ + 2 = __ + 2 = __

I'm pretty sure that these are supposed to be serial additions, not a long set of equivalences. Negative numbers is definitely not a normal first-grade skill, and there'd be no rhyme or reason to the second problem quoted.

I'm pretty sure that these are supposed to be serial additions, not a long set of equivalences.

Then there's a reason not to use it.

It is mathematically wrong to present that as acceptable:

1 + 1 = 2 + 2 = 4 + 2 = 6

What baloney.

The stationery things are cute if you want some writing paper templates.

I'm new too, but from browsing the Dollar Deals section, I like what I see of Donald Silver's books. He's the author of the One Small Square.. series.

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=price&price=1%2C10&q=Donald+Silver

I'm strongly considering the "Instant Habitat Dioramas" and "Easy Make and Learn Projects: Human Body" from this sale. Now, I'm art-challenged (and DS is too young for cutting these) so if every project turns out a sticky mess, I'll come back and update this thread. :lol

I bought the Instant Dioramas for my 6 year old! They look really fun and she is always trying to make her own, this will be right up her alley. Hope he likes them too.

Thank you! I highly recommend the Hands on History and other time period resources. The science units are fantastics as well (frogs, sharks, etc). I also love the Science Manipulatives ones.

I pretty much like all the science and history. I have used them for years.

Oh, the mapping books are fun too. I don't end up using the math or language arts ones as much though I am getting the poetry organizers book. The math ones are well-done, but I have found enough practice in our math text. The punctuation and capitalization could be a fun review/prep for annual testing.

Oh, the Hands on History Explorers is just fantastic. You can make a really cook lapbook/notebook out of it.

Edited by nestof3

Then there's a reason not to use it.

It is mathematically wrong to present that as acceptable:

1 + 1 = 2 + 2 = 4 + 2 = 6

What baloney.

The stationery things are cute if you want some writing paper templates.

huh? :confused:

huh? :confused:

1 + 1 = 2 is true

1 + 1 = 2 + 2 = 4 means that 1 + 1 = 4

You cannot change only one side of the equation. That, by definition, eliminates the equivalence.

This is a major problem with math errors in my experience. Including college students. So I hate this sort of thing. It teaches horrible habits and I am shocked it's in a book!

1 + 1 = 2 is true

1 + 1 = 2 + 2 = 4 means that 1 + 1 = 4

You cannot change only one side of the equation. That, by definition, eliminates the equivalence.

This is a major problem with math errors in my experience. Including college students. So I hate this sort of thing. It teaches horrible habits and I am shocked it's in a book!

I would assume that there was an ongoing addition stream going on -- like an adding machine. That's really sad that college students wouldn't understand that. I must just be on the brighter side of things. ;)

Saxon does it like this in the text:

20 + 1, divided by 3, + 1, x 3, divided by 2

I agree this is better mathematically.

We liked both of these.