Menu

Scholastic Dollar Deals

MelanieM

I would assume that there was an ongoing addition stream going on -- like an adding machine. That's really sad that college students wouldn't understand that. I must just be on the brighter side of things. ;).

I have no idea if college students would understand it. Or that it's a sign of intelligence or math skill to understand such badly written stuff. Since 1+1=2+2=4 is meaningless at best and confusing at worst, no math book should be putting it forward for 1st graders to puzzle out, where it was not phrased like this. It was brought up earlier in this thread by nansk, who disliked it in a book for 1st graders. My reference to college students was in regard to the dangers of not teaching childen from a young age that equations must balance. The college students I taught had massive math errors resulting from unbalanced equations of the sort encouraged by this writing. Therefore I would not personally purchase something so poorly and unclearly written. For me, i need look no further to know it's not a book for me. MEP has tons of adding on problems, with all correct notaton.

That being said, I did spring for a few more $1 items!

...The second worksheet in this book had an Algebra-type problem which involved negative numbers. I was surprised to see it.

2 + 0 = __ + 3 = __ + 4 = __

And then there were the seemingly less useful problems like: 2 + __ = __ + 2 = __ + 2 = __

I just came back to this thread today and saw the subsequent posts on this topic.

It is definitely a series of equivalences, not a series of additions (that would be mathematically wrong, as 'stripe' said).

I'm attaching the two pages in question.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm posting here as a cautionary suggestion for others.. create your account before these sales happen. Many WTMers probably already have their Scholastic account already, but for those who don't..

I didn't have an account, and I created one during check-out. Their servers must have really been hammered because everything was slow, but I eventually got an emailed receipt from Paypal.

The next day, I tried logging in and they didn't recognize my username. I emailed customer care, and they said they were working on it. 3 weeks later, after many emails, I was asked to create my account again. I did, but it still took a few days before they were able to re-instate the downloads into my account.

Now all is well, I can see the downloads but it did take an inordinate amount of time and pestering to get here. :lurk5: So if you are considering the Dollar Deals sales, I suggest you create the account before they get too busy, and login before buying. I don't usually create an account at every website I shop, but this was one place where the system just worked better with it.