Menu

My 6th grade dd has finished Singapore 6B and I'm trying to decide where to go from here. We've used Singapore exclusively since 1st grade and she's done very well with the curriculum.

What are others doing after Singapore? What are some things I should be considering when making a decision? Thanks for your advice!:)

I did it differently with each of 4 kids. One went to Lial's Introductory Algebra, one did Algebra 1 A Fresh Approach, one did NEM, and the youngest did LOF/AoPS/NEM2 and is now using NEM 3

There are lots of options. My personal favorites are NEM and AoPS. If your student is doing well with Singapore, I would suggest sticking with it and maybe adding in Art of Problem Solving. I believe there is another high school level in Singapore that is a little less rigorous than NEM and offers more teacher helps.

I've gone two different paths after 6b with two different kids.

For one, I've gone to Singapore Discovering Mathematics for a year, then we're heading into AoPS Algebra I next year.

For the other, this year we've done Lial's Prealgebra, and next year will do Lial's Introductory Algebra.

I have to say I really like the DM/AoPS route (and if AoPS prealgebra had been out, I might've considered that, but I do really like DM - esp. the extra tough stuff in the workbook). I like doing it along with dd, I like the brain-stretching.

For my other dd, though, she was feeling like she didn't like math after 6b. The Lial's has made her feel successful at math again. And she can do it more independently (we were knocking heads about math). Her dad now goes over her work periodically to make sure she's on track.

We've also used LOF through Prealgebra, but as a supplement over the summer. I had thought about doing LOF Algebra with the dd who's doing Lial's, because I thought she might like the more verbal, story approach. But she has declared herself done with it, and prefers the Lial's, so I guess that's that...

Edited by matroyshka

How did you do NEM and AoPS? Concurrently? One after the other? The "new" NEM is SM Discovering Mathematics (DM). Matroyshka is using it.

For a short time he did both NEM2 and AoPS (algebra). He is now just doing NEM 3 however I intend to have him do some AoPS (intermed. Algebra) this coming year.

DD 14 went from 6B to AoPS Algebra. AoPS has been a great fit for her. DD 13 started on AoPS Algebra and it didn't go too well. She loves to be challenged in math, but AoPS was a bit too much for her. She switched over to NEM part way through the year and is really enjoying it. Both girls also do some LoF.

I'm hoping my younger kids will do either AoPS, NEM, or LoF since they are the only math curricula I really like. :001_smile:

I got Horizons Pre-Algebra to try with my DD after she finishes Singapore 5A. It looks like it would be a good option for a kid who needs a review of the material in 5B-6B plus there are some additional concepts covered. I also liked that it is a workbook format that doesn't require copying the problems onto separate paper like a textbook (writing is an issue with my DD).

After Horizons Pre-Algebra, I might try her in AOPS or perhaps the online math classes run by Courtney James at MathPerfect.

How user friendly is Aops for the math afraid (me being the math afraid person)?

I think it's pretty friendly. DD 14 does it mostly independently and then we go over her work together. I absolutely love the Solutions Manuals. They really do provide complete solutions to every problem and have been very helpful to me.

Thanks for all the responses! It seems that DM is more broad-scoped and covers more than just algebra where AoPS is more topic focused (i.e. a separate book for Algebra, Geometry, etc.).

To those that have used both, do you think a year of DM is enough pre-algebra to move into AoPS?

Thanks for all the responses! It seems that DM is more broad-scoped and covers more than just algebra where AoPS is more topic focused (i.e. a separate book for Algebra, Geometry, etc.).

Yes, I think that's accurate. If you do all 4 years of DM, you get integrated AlgI, II and Geometry. From the Singapore Math FAQ, Singapore Secondary programs (including DM and NEM) cover roughly these topics:

Secondary 1: pre-algebra, some algebra 1 and geometry

Secondary 2: algebra 1 and geometry

Secondary 3: some algebra 2, geometry, some trigonometry

Secondary 4: some advanced topics and review

To those that have used both, do you think a year of DM is enough pre-algebra to move into AoPS?

I think it's excellent preparation for AoPS. DM1 goes even beyond what a traditional prealgebra covers, and is really strong in problem-solving.

My oldest went to ps and took prealgebra there. When she returned to hs, she used Jacobs Algebra, Jacobs Geometry, Kinetic Books Algebra II, Larson's Precalculus, and Lial's Trigonometry.

My middle dd worked through Math Smart Junior over the summer after she finished 6b. Then she worked through the first 2/5 of both Kinetic Books Algebra I and Jacobs Algebra during 7th grade. She spent 8th grade working through just Kinetic Books Algebra I. Then she did Jacobs Geometry and now Kinetic Books Algebra II. We'll be using Lial's Precalculus next year.

I've done three different things(With 3 kids). NEM, Keys to Algebra(didn't like that option)and then NEM, Russian Math.

I love what I am doing right now with my 7th grader, though I will confess he did Russian Math in 6th after completing Sinapore 6B in what was then 6th grade but then we decided to hold him back to be in the grade his agemates are in. So I got an extra year with him. That said, I may do this with the next child also directly after Singapore 6B. (or its equivalent)

I'm doing Algebra I in 7th and 8th, taking 2 years to do it. I don't see any reason to finish Algebra I in 7th and this way I can give my child a really solid foundation. We are able to do more(all!) of the word problems and more of the challenging problems and not push or stress, and also take time to review concepts more thoroughly. I have been combining NEM and Foerster Algebra I for this. I'm using Foerster for our "spine" and NEM for additional challenging problems(I'm tempted to buy AoPS, too!).

I love this approach and wish I had thought of it years ago. My oldest is an above average math student so what I used for him has served him well in college(just got an A in Calc 3:)) but my 2nd son could have used a longer time in Algebra I. He does okay, but isn't rock solid.

Kendall,

I am taking the same approach to use both Foerster and NEM 1 for 2 years (7th and 8th) and haven't figured out the logistics. What does that look like on a weekly basis? Do you do both everyday? Or do you rotate between the two? Do you skip the geometry section in NEM? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My 6th grade dd has finished Singapore 6B and I'm trying to decide where to go from here. We've used Singapore exclusively since 1st grade and she's done very well with the curriculum.

What are others doing after Singapore? What are some things I should be considering when making a decision? Thanks for your advice!:)

My older finished 6B last spring. We did NEM 1 this year (the pre-alg/algebra portions). This fall I am thinking of doing AoPS Algebra. We were going to do BCM next after 6B (I have it here), but it seemed so lightweight after Singapore.

There are topics not covered in 6B that are needed to get into AoPS. Some kids could make those leaps, but I didn't think my young kid could, so we took a year with NEM. For him it was also about learning to write out problems (still working on it!).

It was really good for me that you asked this because I didn't keep the assignment sheets and I’ll need this info when I do this for the next child. I think it is fresh enough now that I can roughly recreate it.

We did Foerster Section 1-1 and then did NEM Chapters 1-3. I did not come close to assigning every problem in these sections. It covers pre-algebra topics. Some of it was review and lots of it was time consuming arithmetic and arithmetic is what he had been doing the previous 6 years of his life. I think we did do most of the word problems. We did do the problem solving and challengers.

I think after that I used Foerster starting at chapter 1. When he finished a chapter I would assign problems(not close to all) from NEM(chapters 4-6) that covered the same material.

There might have been a few sections in NEM that had things that hadn’t yet been covered in Foerster, when that was the case we skipped them in NEM. After Foerster Section 5-3(multiplying binomials) I had him do NEM Ch 7 and 8. I also had him multiply binomials daily (1 or 2). I wanted to sit on the multiplying binomials before moving on to factoring in Foerster Section 5-4 +. After NEM Ch 7-8 we finished Foerster Ch 5 and Ch 6, skipped 7(on BASIC computer programming) and we are currently in the middle of chapter 8. I won’t be able to go back to NEM until after Foerster Chapter 9 because of a difference in order. At that point it will be NEM 2 and yes, I will not do the Geometry chapters in NEM (at least not until after Alg is finished).

That is all the farther we have gotten. I am not doing tests. I may have him work slowly through the chapter tests in the book this summer so that we don’t lose ground. With a student that struggled more I might assign more problems in Foerster(we did only odds or even every other odd) and fewer in NEM.

HTH-feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about it.

You all are very, very bad for my budget. :glare:

I was basically happy with my preview of the Horizons Pre-Algebra I just bought until this thread prompted me to take a look at Singapore Discovering Mathematics 1. I'd ruled out NEM1 because frankly it intimidated me. But DM1 looks very much like Singapore Primary Math. Very tempting! One of nagging concerns I had about Horizons was if it did a thorough enough job on explaining the underlying concepts. But I like the "spiral" reviews in Horizons to make sure she absolutely, positively has the math down pat before she hits Algebra I. So I don't want to return the Horizons for a refund either.

Now I'm seriously considering stretching out pre-algebra over 2 years and using a combo of Horizons, DM1, and the Singapore Primary Math 5B-6B Intensive Practice books. I think there would be enough material to do that while maintaining a high intellectual challenge level.

We've only used Singapore math. Last year, my daughter used NEM 1 but didn't like the conceptual leaps it made even though she's strong in math. This year, we switched to Discovering Math 2 and she likes it much better, especially the geometry. I think the explanations are clearer and it, certainly, is more appealing visually. As of today, we will be using DM 3 next year.

Ann

We've been using NEM after SM6. We are only in chapter 5, but some sections have been easy and for some sections I've had to find addition teaching resources. It feels to me as if there is a gap between the primary series and NEM, and I suppose the teacher is supposed to elaborate the lessons. The teacher supports just aren't as good as they are for the primary series.

I think we're going to move into AOPS Intro to Algebra soon and see how that goes. I

I've also considered Dolciani, Thinkwell, Gelfands (not enough for a full program)

We're using DM and I'm loving it. I was all over the place about what I'd do once we were done 6B but I finally just decided to stick with a good thing and I'm so glad I did. My daughter is finding it challenging but fun.

I did feel the temptation to look for something else but frankly I think it's a bit like marrying Hugh Jackman* and then going to a Hollywood party and lusting after George Clooney, Will Smith, Ryan Reynolds et all. At some point you just have to realize, "Holy Crow. I'm married to Hugh Jackman! Hugh Jackman!."

Singapore math is Singapore math. If you're doing it you're already pretty much at the top of the math pile.

*Because we've all had that experience, no? :D

We've been using NEM after SM6. We are only in chapter 5, but some sections have been easy and for some sections I've had to find addition teaching resources. It feels to me as if there is a gap between the primary series and NEM, and I suppose the teacher is supposed to elaborate the lessons. The teacher supports just aren't as good as they are for the primary series.

I think we're going to move into AOPS Intro to Algebra soon and see how that goes. I

I've also considered Dolciani, Thinkwell, Gelfands (not enough for a full program)

I've found DM doesn't suffer from that gap.

I did feel the temptation to look for something else but frankly I think it's a bit like marrying Hugh Jackman* and then going to a Hollywood party and lusting after George Clooney, Will Smith, Ryan Reynolds et all. At some point you just have to realize, "Holy Crow. I'm married to Hugh Jackman! Hugh Jackman!."

:D

Thank you for this mental image. This is now officially my favorite math curriculum thread. Ever.

Singapore math is Singapore math. If you're doing it you're already pretty much at the top of the math pile.

My Aunt live in Singapore and I remember she told me that at very very young age, the school start to separate the kids. the top, middle and bottom. and kids are taking different level of textbooks. The top kids taking difficult lessons and expected to go to college and bottom kids taking less difficult lesson and expected to go local college or technical school. So I suspect that the different SM text are because of that. So just because they are SM, doesn't mean they are he same

I LOVE IT!!! And it's very true!!!!

I am considering Discovering Mathematics. It is by Singapore. I will be so sad to leave Primary Math. It has been good to us.

I might take a year and have my son work his way through both of the LOF pre-algebra books though. I haven't decided yet.

Ds finished PM 6B a few months ago. He then completed LOF Pre-algebra 1 in 8 weeks, working from 25-45 min a day. Which he enjoyed immensely. LOF P-a 2 is on orde, and I expect him to finish that this summer. I think we'll pick up NEM 1 in the fall.

*Because we've all had that experience, no? :D

ROFL - thanks for that mental imagery. It's so true.:thumbup1:

We were using NEM, but I kind of wish I had considered DM as an option for my young math kid. NEM is hard to use as a homeschool curriculum independently IMHO (at least for young kids). And my kid did 90% of his Singapore through 6B on his own.

• 2 months later...

Which of the high school math programs have instruction on dvd or computer to go with them? I hear many of you talking about Aops, Lials, Jacobs, etc but not Teaching Textbooks. Why? I am currently using singapore with all of my children and my daughter is in 5A. I want to switch her to another program that will have some instruction so I gave her a placement test of math 7 in Teaching textbooks. She aced it, so I will have to look into a more challenging program I think. I like teaching textbooks because of the ease of using it and the kids learning on their own, however if it is not very challenging then I want to go another route...

However, I have also heard that we should have a certain math plan for 8th grade so that she can get credit for high school.

Can anyone show me a neat and easy path for a challenging high school program for a mom who does not have time to relearn math in order to teach it?

This is a little off topic but would love to know - if you do Algebra 1 in 8th grade do you get a credit for it towards high school graduation?

Probably a silly ? but I'm from the UK and not familiar with high school credits etc.

TIA

Trenna