Menu

Why is it . . . (vent)

LOL,

My husband was at home with the kids for a couple years while I worked as a travel nurse. I loved it, he was so stressed out that he begged me to come home so he could get a job and go back to work. Since then we have added one more child, and when I tease him about trading roles again he shudders and his eyes get big. He admits that at first when we decided he would stay home he thought it would be pretty easy........because it looked easy to him. Now he knows better, and he tells me all the time that I am amazing :lol:

. . . that husbands always ask or hint that we get a job and they'll stay home and school the kids? At least, this is a frequent occurrence at my house. Does this happen to you?

Doesn't happen here, either. I'm usually the one whining after a hard day that we should switch. Dh just smiles and hugs me. We both know the other works hard and neither of us would seriously consider switching our roles.

DH had some time off from his job and "did mine" while I was away. Well, the house got really clean. Too bad kid didn't learn anything.

This. I went back to work once when dh was laid off a short while. The house was spotless. School and dinner? You mean that has to et done too?:lol::lol::lol:

Danielle

Whenever I get a bit, ah, frustrated, I suggest DH stay home and HS (and do all the cleaning, cooking, and laundry) and I'll go to work.

He gets a panicked look on his face and grabs a glass of wine for me:tongue_smilie:

Exactly how it works at our house.

I actually had a part time job out of the house that I got during dh's unemplyment stint but which I kept once he was back at work (a typical 8-4:30 office environment) That lasted not even 5 months. He was in charge of cooking supper...think hotdogs, hamburgers, and chicken nuggets...cleaning that up and straightening up the downstairs which the kids & I straightened before I left for work at 4pm. His only schooling responsibility was to make sure the big kids practiced their instruments. We did have an infant at the time on a bottle. But he was not a high maintenance baby at all. We had family devotions when I got home at 8 and then we both put the kids to bed.

Well, without going into any details, the great experiment was awful, awful, awful. It's funny that I could homeschool all day and work a 1/2 day every evening. But he couldn't work a full day and come home and be Mr. Mom for a few hours. The kids were so miserable. I quit my job as soon as I got my wake-up call.

I saw my old boss the other day. He said they were hiring. wink, wink.

Uuuggghhh!!! I would love to, but I can't. I seriously loved my job. It was in a library. Surrounded by books. Sigh..............

:iagree: My husband really appreciates what I do, but prefers not to do it himself!

Yes, that's true for us too. My husband knows he could never do the job I do. And I know I could never design computer software with lots of calculus in it, so we're both pretty happy.

. . . that husbands always ask or hint that we get a job and they'll stay home and school the kids? At least, this is a frequent occurrence at my house. Does this happen to you?

:grouphug: For a while DH thought he'd like to be home. Before my DD was born, he'd stay home with our son on the two mornings I taught, and they'd have a really nice time together for a couple of hours. DH thought he could get used to it.

Then along came DD, and suddenly he was trying to keep DS involved in constructive activities while caring for a baby, and that was much harder. And he didn't even have to worry about doing school or housecleaning--if I came home and the house wasn't a total disaster, things had gone well. And we've got a third on the way this summer, so at this point DH is not at all eager to switch places.

In fact, he's very glad I'm not teaching any classes this fall (we're going to wait and see when it makes sense for me to go back to part-time work), because he wasn't loving the idea of being home with three kids, two under two, by himself on a regular basis.

Love this thread! My husband is definitely in the "glad he gets to escape the chaos and go to work" club! His job is relatively low-stress and he knows he's got the easier daily duty.

He has an hour commute and loves driving, so he comes home refreshed. Which is great, because by the time he walks in the door, I am SO done...:lol:

Now if I could just get him to help more with the cleaning, etc. in the evenings, that would be grand. I work about 20 hours a week, as a freelance writer and some weekends as a cake decorator/face painter/party planner. He always says he doesn't know how I do it all, and I don't, either. I am just tired all the time!

My husband has never and would never suggest such a thing. He could not handle the emotional needs of the kids and he knows it. He would crush their little spirits within 3 days flat. He would drive himself and them crazy, plus he would be constantly hoarse (sp??) from yelling! He has done a few half days here and there but that's the maximum of his capacity. Furthermore, *I* could not handle handing this over to him. I like it done MY way, thank you very much! Fortunately he appreciates what I do very much and fully supports me homeschooling. When I have the occasional stressful day and want to consider other options, he typically says no way, it's going too well!! It would really bother me to have him making comments like OP's husband; it might feel like he things your job is a vacation or something? Maybe it's just about him having a rough patch at his job and needing to make a change there.

OP, I look forward to hearing how things go during your week away. Don't go easy on him, make sure it is a busy week and leave a few extras on the to-do list like "research learning styles and teaching methods, purchase and plan lessons for new math curriculum". :D

I've been looking, mind you, thinking he'd stop asking. He hasn't. But I'm looking in a very specific field that is also very competitive.

The long and short of this, however, is that I'm TIRED of the requesting. I'm tired of the looking and getting nowhere.

It's not like I don't have a job already! :glare::tongue_smilie:

Mine did that. I called his bluff. I have 3 part-time jobs now, not including mom & farmwife. :tongue_smilie:

He has to do lessons with ds 2 days a week. There is hardly a week goes by that he wants to know if I'm going to be home an extra day that week so he doesn't have to have TWO WHOLE DAYS of being teacher/dad/farmer because it's SO HARD TO DO IT ALL.

Apparently, it's not hard to be a coordinator/librarian/community-resourcer/teacher/mom/farmwife. :001_rolleyes:

Tell him he'd better be careful of what he asks for or he just might get it!

My dh would love to stay home and have me work, but I've got no skills. Truth be told, he's a much better teacher than I am. The Saturday mornings when we don't have other commitments he does Saturday School with the older 3. He teaches everything from theology to advanced maths to political systems to robotics and computer programming.

My husband thinks that it is amazing and wonderful that I am staying home with our kids and homeschooling, but he also thinks that I am completely insane for wanting to do it. He wouldn't want to switch in a million years.

However, he also has a job that he loves and that allows him lots of flexibility with his time, and I think that makes all the difference.

I went to visit my mom for an extended weekend a few years ago. The kids had a couple of birthday parties and a couple of church activities that we found out about after tickets were booked. I decided not to purchase presents, pick out clothing, or prep meals before I left. No school happened, but he did get a wake up call. :lol:

Dh does "sub" for me every year, though. I plan the curriculum and make a pretty general schedule. Then if I'm having trouble making it flow or having major discipline issues, then he will take off work and sub. Neither he or the kids want to make that a permenant thing. Both are a wee bit more appreciative of me after that. :D

When we first started with our older in K he always said he would trade places with me in a second. Now, five years in with 3 kids he admits it would scare him to be responsible for everything that I do. We make a great team!