Menu

Best east coast theme park?

We're driving from Georgia to Cape Cod mid-June and are thinking of stopping at a theme park for a day or two on the way up. My first thought was Busch Gardens, but then I started thinking about Hershey Park, and then I started wondering what else I was overlooking, and decided to start a thread so that I could be even MORE overwhelmed with options :D.

My main hesitation about Busch Gardens is my 46.5 inch tall, fearless five year old. It looks like there are a lot of kiddie rides he can do, and then a lot of big coasters he can mournfully watch his big brothers go on, and not a whole lot in between. It seems like Hershey might have more mild coasters he could do.

Thoughts? Anyone want to sell me on your favorite park? Kids will be 5, 8, and 10, and are mostly up for trying anything; they've done several Disney trips, but not much else, amusement park-wise. And we pretty much are looking at stuff that would be along our route--or at least wouldn't add more than an hour or two to the total drive time.

Well, in mid June there is water country. Your kids would be able to ride everything. There is also Kings Dominion.

As far as Busch Gardens, there are other rides in-between but you're right about the coasters. My dc don't ride coasters and they still love BG. Your 5 yr old would probably love dragonland.

These are the 3 theme parks that I know best, but I'm sure there are others.

I agree, Hershey or Busch Gardens, but not King's Dominion.

Haven't been to BG in years, and not with a young child, but it has great rollercoasters for the taller/older people; younger kids might be able to ride some of them too. We have taken kids to Hershey at 2, 3, 5, and 6, and that has a lot of stuff for little kids. Our DD was able to ride several coasters (including one that goes upside-down) at 5. (And if you go there, you can also see ZooAmerica, which is small, but cute, and Chocolate World, which the kids always love.) Assuming you're driving via 95, Hershey is going to be a bit off of your route, but not too terrible; you can catch 83 around Baltimore and head up past Harrisburg to Hershey, and then catch something back to 95 (maybe the PA Turnpike -- not sure, but if you're interested, I can see what DH would recommend).

Thanks everyone! I've been looking at amusement park websites all day! I think what we're going to do is get a season pass to Six Flags....it's good for every Six Flags in the country, so we can use it at the Atlanta one and stop at the NJ one on the way up this summer AND it will be about $10 cheaper per person than ONE day at Busch Gardens. I'm sure Busch Gardens is prettier, but this seems like a much better deal (and we can see pretty when we go to Disney this fall :)). Also, surprisingly, it looks like there are quite a few coasters DS5 can do at Six Flags in NJ; they have several with a 44 inch height requirement instead of that no man's land for kids who are almost 48 inches like a lot of other parks seem to have.

• 11 months later...

Light water Valley Theme Park is one of my favorite parks. To visit this park is like discovering the excitement of a day bursting with thrills, chills and adventure. The theme of park is really awesome and it is basically design to keep the kids in mind. So just visit there and have fun with your kids.

We drive past Kings Dominion (less than an hour from our house) to get to Busch Gardens (2 hours from our house). It's just sooo much nicer!

The main entrance at Kings Dominion has trees but after that it's like an asphalt jungle.

Busch Gardens is just lovely! My older kids love the roller coasters...my youngest (who has special needs) is still enjoying the kiddie rides.

There's a Sesame Street section with probably 5 or 6 kiddie rides and all the characters are there in costume for dancing and picture-taking. Then there's a Land of the Dragons section with 5 or 6 kiddie rides.

And then there are the rides everyone can enjoy - a carousel, a steam locomotive that takes you all around the park - a skyride that takes you to various sections in the air. And lots of shops and little eat-in restaurants.

And if you're there in the summer, from July 1st through mid-August, they have a fireworks show every night around 9:30.

I haven't been to Six Flags in years (when we lived in Maryland, we went for their Homeschool Day in late May...usually it's a weekday prior to Memorial Day weekend)...and I haven't been to Hershey Park since I was a kid.

So there you have it. :) Happy vacation planning!

Busch Gardens is probably the best amusement park.

We had season passes to Six Flags for the last two years (this year we used the money to go to Legoland and Universal IoA in February instead... we'll get SF season passes again next year). There's a Six Flags in Maryland (Six Flags America) not far from us. It's definitely not the best theme park, but it's generally not too crowded and it's good enough. We rarely had to wait very long to get on rides, even in the middle of the summer. Because it's not very crowded it had been super fun for all of us, even the little guys (who were very little when we started going).

We've been going to the Six Flags in Agawam, MA (Springfield area) for a while. Normally we get season tickets.

It's about 2.5 hours NW from Cape Cod.

I haven't been to the NJ one or to Lake Compounce - so I can't give a comparison of parks in the area.

But I will say that in Agawam the place it kept very clean, the staff is very nice and helpful and it is set up well that you are not walking forever (I grew up going to the Six Flags in TX that is really spread out!).

The biggest plus is the water park is included in the tickets.

Enjoy!

Just a quick vote for Busch Gardens - hands down the best on the east coast. We went to Six Flags NJ last year with free passes and left early because it was so disgusting and a bit scary, quite honestly, for us. We haven't bothered with King's Dominion in years also because it is just an asphalt jungle. HTH!

Disclaimer: I live 15 minutes from my choice of Disney/SeaWorld/Universal. This colors my view of all other amusement parks.

We did Hershey Park last year and found it to be completely boring and unattractive.

Hershey reminded me of all the things Disney does well. Even little things like dining areas being mostly in more enclosed areas so that children are safer. There's lots of things I hadn't "seen" as big deals at Disney until I was at Hershey.

My girls thought it was "ok" but liked the free chocolate kiss the best of the day, I think.

There was absolutely no magical experience for them like Disney at all though.

Did I have a point? I don't remember! Sorry!

Cedar Point is in Sandusky Ohio. It is known for it's coasters. I haven't been there since I was a little kid so can't say much about it.

It's a great Coaster park. Eastern Time Zone? Yes. But East Coast? No! :D (Says the woman who is 2 blocks from where the water meets the land on the East).

In VA NOT King's Dominion. I think it is nasty. Do Busch instead.

You know, we lived in VA when I was a little girl & went to King's Dominion once. I remember my mother saying the same thing about the place 20 years ago that everyone is saying today.

Cedar Point is in Sandusky Ohio. It is known for it's coasters. I haven't been there since I was a little kid so can't say much about it.

I love, love, love Cedar Point. But it's definitely not on the East Coast.

I think it's funny that so many people hate KD! I can't stand BG! :lol:

BG is a lot of walking. Not much to do. A lot of like, shows and theme-y stuff. I think I remember them having just a handful of coasters there when we went (which I think was in 2005?), and only one of them was any good. It was a lot of walking...oh wait, I already said that. :D It's a very park-like setting, where you walk forever to get to the next thing that looks remotely interesting.

Granted, I didn't go with my kids - I only had a 1yo at the time. I do remember thinking that MAYBE it would be a little better with kids, but we honestly haven't tried it because it's ridiculously priced.

Also, I go to these places for the coasters. I love Cedar Point. I like KD, and we've had season passes a couple of years - including the last time we got them, when we got passes for us and both boys. It was worth it. The whole 'asphalt jungle' thing doesn't bother me - I just prefer it to BG. YMMV. :)