Menu

how to treat eczema in 5 week old, naturally?

I haven't been on here for a long, long time.....so I kind of feel bad like I "using" you all for your wonderful knowledge, but I just got off the phone with my sister and heard the baby crying in the back ground....

My sister just had her first baby! He is 5 weeks old and has eczema all over his face, head and ears that bothers him a lot.

What works?

My sister has struggled with it her whole life, but had it cleared up for the few years before pregnancy, but then it came back during pregnancy.

thanks so much.

e

Get it under control with steroid cream, then try to keep it moisturized to prevent it. But she needs to get it under control so it doesn't scar his delicate skin. I'm a peds nurse and my own son had eczema at that age. A couple days of Cortaid won't cause him problems. If she lets it go....it'll be harder to deal with.

First of all, she's sure it's not just a form of infant acne, caused by the leftover hormones from mom's system?

Eczema is often caused by food allergies, dairy being a common culprit. If mom is breastfeeding, she would want to eliminate all dairy from her diet; it might take up to two full weeks for it to clear her system once she stops consuming it. (Soy might also be a culprit.) If formula-feeding, she should talk to her doctor about switching to something else.

I'd also see if she's using anything harsh on his skin -- lotion, powder, shampoo, baby wash, etc.? Babies really don't need any of that; water works just fine to clean them the vast majority of the time. I have heard of people doing well with Aquaphor and Eucerin as lotions for eczema, so maybe one of those will help.

I would also try an elimination diet to see if she can get to the source of what is causing it. That should help a lot, but it may be difficult to pinpoint what it is (or it may be multiple sensitivities/allergies).

I know several people who have suffered through this and getting to the source and taking out the allergens is the only thing that got the eczema under control.

I'm sorry your sister's baby is so badly affected. :grouphug:

ETA:PP have recommended cutting out dairy but that may or may not be the only thing that needs to change. Other things my friends have had to cut out until baby was weaned were gluten, citrus fruits, oats (even the non gluten ones), white rice, peas, nuts (almonds, peanuts) and strawberries. There were a few others but those are the ones I remember.

Edited by plain jane

thanks for the quick replies.

Yes she is exclusively breastfeeding.

Yes, we are pretty sure it is eczema, for he is so itchy and bothered by it...also she has struggled with it so she knows what it looks like.

I love the coconut oil idea.

She is planning on trying a 3 day treatment of cortisone, but very hesitantly....steriods on a 5 week old seems iffy.....

What about tea tree oil?

Eczema is often caused by food allergies, dairy being a common culprit. If mom is breastfeeding, she would want to eliminate all dairy from her diet; it might take up to two full weeks for it to clear her system once she stops consuming it. (Soy might also be a culprit.) If formula-feeding, she should talk to her doctor about switching to something else.

I'd also see if she's using anything harsh on his skin -- lotion, powder, shampoo, baby wash, etc.? Babies really don't need any of that; water works just fine to clean them the vast majority of the time. I have heard of people doing well with Aquaphor and Eucerin as lotions for eczema, so maybe one of those will help.

:iagree:

Also, if she eliminates dairy and this still doesn't help, she might want to try the Dr. Sears Elimination diet. My dd has eczema which started to manifest around 3-4 weeks. The elimination diet cleared it like a charm. If we used formula, it was always the hypoallergenic kind.

After any bathing with a gentle cleanser, grease the baby up with moisturizer, and only use cotton clothing -- no polyester jammies.

hth!

I'd make sure there isn't an issue with the laundry soap. And then I'd do an elimination diet (for mom) for the top 8 food allergens, starting with dairy.

For the bath, I'd bathe every other day, using a little Dove sensitive skin bar soap (being careful with the eyes, of course). Then steroid cream (until the eczema is under control) and lots of Aquaphor.

I would put a humidifier in the room where he sleeps at night, and use CJ's BUTTer on him 2-3 times a day. I would refrain from using soap on him at all, and I'd use a very gentle laundry detergent on his clothes.

My daughter's much older but you can see how her eczema got TONS better by taking these steps (although I did initially use a steroid cream and zyrtec to get the worst of it cleared up and to stop the itching. Once it was cleared up, we basically just use soap free cleanser, the CJ's BUTTer and a humidifier and her skin looks fantastic).

Pics, links, etc here:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/160161.html

I haven't been on here for a long, long time.....

e

No advice, but it us so strange. Last night I stumbled on an old tread (and really appreciated what you wrote in a post there) and was wondering what had become of you.

I hope life is treating you well! :001_smile:

Bill

I wouldn't do any tea tree...it's easy to spread to the eyes or mouth... seriously... I would know :) Coconut Oil... NO soap, clear detergent (allergen free from a good source) and also... try one day of a bit of crisco before the steroids, if it's not too bad. Also, humidifier is good... BUT, I produced a mushroom (baby) by having it on... and it actually spread her problem. She had a weepy neck... that would literally be wet... and the Dr (who says they're smart??) told me to put baby pwd on it. YUCK!! I'd make sure not to eat peanut butter, or products that are high allergens... while nursing. (Also, I'm pretty sure .... but make sure she knows that she should be careful about not feeding peanuts or soy to the baby because of the excema)

Hmmm... I would:

Have mom eliminate all dairy and soy (read labels carefully) - it can take a couple of weeks to get it out of her system.

Stop using any soap at bath time. My LO is 11 months old, and I've never used body soap/shampoo on him. He's plenty clean with just water.

Only bathe him every few days.

Use a free and clear detergent (which I'm guessing she's already using) with no fabric softener or dryer sheets.

Use coconut oil as moisturizer.

No advice, but it us so strange. Last night I stumbled on an old tread (and really appreciated what you wrote in a post there) and was wondering what had become of you.

I hope life is treating you well! :001_smile:

Bill

Thanks Bill....life is well.

We have recently re-entered American living from a 6 month "sebatical".....we were mainly in Morocco. It has been a challenging adjustment that we are just now coming around from......

and you?

e

I agree with what everyone else has said about diet and washing.

In addition...

Adding a probiotic may help if dietary changes aren't adequate. There are some that are specially formulated for babies.

If she's bathing the baby more frequently than about twice a week, she may need to cut back on the washings. Bathing dries the skin out, and new babies just don't get that dirty - a bath once or twice a week along with spot washing during diaper changes, after spitting up, and the like should be adequate. And most bathing should be just with plain water.

My son had pretty bad eczema when he was about 5 or 6 weeks old... His naturopathic pediatrician recommended that I go on an elimination diet to cure it. I took out all dairy, eggs, soy, nuts, wheat, gluten, acidic fruits and tomatoes. Basically I could eat rice, quinoa, beans/legumes, meats, fruits and veggies. But I had to be really cReful with sauces and marinades... MSG contains wheat, sometimes tocopherals (vit E) are derived from soy, soy lecithin is in a lot of products as well. While on the diet, I used a tiny bit of hydrocortisone on the weepy eczema spots to keep it controlled. Once it cleared up,I reintroduced the foods one by one (in reverse order of how I listed them) very slowly... 4 days each. I kept a log of everything i ate, and when there was another flare up, I would try to figure out what it was that could have triggered it. It took a long time and a lot of trial and error, but in the end, it seemed to be eggs and milk. After a while, as his digestive system improved, he seemed to tolerate things better. It usually coincides with his starting solids too. He is 1 now, and I am still nursing & can now eat anything without causing a flare-up.

It takes patience and a lot of sacrifice in terms of food, but tell your sister to hang in there. Babies often outgrow this.

Eczema is often caused by food allergies, dairy being a common culprit. If mom is breastfeeding, she would want to eliminate all dairy from her diet; it might take up to two full weeks for it to clear her system once she stops consuming it. (Soy might also be a culprit.)

It could take upwards of a whole month for dairy issues to be completely cleared up.

My son had eczema on his face pretty bad when he was an infant. I tried eliminating food, but didn't notice any change. I used the steroid cream as little as possible. What helped the most was taking my little guy out into the sunshine. Letting the sun shine on his face for at least 15 minutes a day helped keep it under control. It totally disappeared from his face later in infancy and took over his arms. Now at age 7 only occasional spots flare up. So try the sun, maybe it will help.

To this day he has no known allergies although he is a very picky eater :)

First of all, she's sure it's not just a form of infant acne, caused by the leftover hormones from mom's system?

Dead right.

Eczema is the outward expression of an inward problem.

The biggest problem is if she is formula feeding the culprit may be corn and you can't avoid that in formula. :(

For skin care - earthmuffin.com Stay away from paraben (petroleum based) lotions. Don't use soap, cleansers, etc. Babies can be cleaned sufficiently with water and a washcloth. The fewer baths, the better... It will remove the natural oils.

It could take upwards of a whole month for dairy issues to be completely cleared up.

If you are eliminating dairy, be sure to read labels for whey protein as well. I found it to be in many foods that one would not normally consider as dairy.

Lots of good suggestions here. Good luck, hope the little guy feels better soon. :grouphug:

I agree with everyone else--cut out the dairy, wheat and SOY has always been really bad with my babies while breastfeeding. :glare: Cut out the offending foods and it should heal up. My middler had eczema BAD as a toddler, when he started eating solids, but I cleared it up with a bar of soap I got from a frontier co-op called Wise Ways Herbals Eczema soap. Literally the first time I used it, it cleared up and never came back, even after the soap bar was gone!

Personally, for a newborn, I would wash with warm water only until the eczema is under control, and use the coconut oil (or some people use olive oil :confused:) to help heal the current eczema.

Also, 5 weeks is prime time for Baby Acne and my babies always look AWEFUL during their second month. :) Hopefully its just hormones!

Edited by rootsnwings

If you can find Alba's Un-Petroleum Jelly (link to Vitacost), it's supposed to work really well. I have not been able to find any locally and haven't gotten around to ordering any yet, but a friend of mine here said she cleared up her son's eczema using it. He has really bad allergies. I'm hoping to use it on Em and get rid of her steroids. She has prescription ones as the cortisone doesn't work anymore.