Menu

Tell me what to drop! No hard feelings!!!

O.K. with a new baby in the house and the first year of teaching two at once I am going CRAZY! I feel like we are just zooming through to get things done and not encouraging a love for learning at all.

Please look at my signature line and tell me what to drop. I know I am doing overkill in the LA section... especially with the first grader. I am leaning towards dropping AAS even though we just started it. I really think it isn't teaching my kids anything they don't already know. I am also thinking of switching my first grader to horizons since that is what I am used to and I think it takes less time than singapore.

So... anyone willing to help me decide?

At 1st and 2nd grade, I would only worry about the reading and math. The rest is just icing on the cake. Do the math with each, let the younger do OPGTR and have the older read from his SL 2 advanced readers outloud to you.

You can get library books for science and history to read aloud IF you have time. The weather is getting warmer, so put the baby in the stroller and go for nature walks; talk about what you see. If the 2nd grader is ready and wants to, have him draw a picture and write one sentence about what he saw.

The baby will grow and the olders will learn to read better and will be able to do science and history later.

Linda

DS7-2nd grade. Adventures in MFW, Horizons math 3, PLL first half, AAS 1,

DD5-1st grade. MFW 1st, Do the program 100%, and maybe even cut her some slack, depending where she is developmentally. I know my daughter would have never been ready for MFW 1st at age 5. This program goes quite quick, so if you think she's having a hard I would either go very slow, or go back and make sure she has her K level phonics in concrete.

This is coming from someone who tried to advance her kiddos quite quickly and it blew up in my face later on down the road. I wished that when they were younger I would have placed them in the grade level they would have been in PS, and let them go with the flow, and let them play, and be a kid.

For your oldest, I would either drop Explode the Code and continue with AAS or finish Explode the Code and hold off on AAS until then. I'm pretty sure it is recommended in the WTM to complete phonics before beginning a spelling program.

For the child doing MFW 1st, isn't there already a lot of phonics in that program? If so, I would only do AAS OR Explode the Code if he is really struggling with what he is learning in MFW.

Otherwise, it looks like a reasonable schedule, though you could stretch out Adventures and finish it up over the summer. Frankly, if your children are enjoying Adventures, I wouldn't drop it unless you are doing a lot of other read-alouds with them. I think reading aloud to them at this age is one of the best things you can do for them.

Lisa

ETA: And I just noticed you are also using OPGTR with your middle child. If MFW 1st really does cover phonics like I think it does, you are using 3 different phonics programs with this child, plus a spelling program that is based heavily on phonics. I would pick the phonics program you think fits him best and drop the others and then hold off on AAS until he is done with phonics.

Edited by LisaTheresa

For your oldest, I would either drop Explode the Code and continue with AAS or finish Explode the Code and hold off on AAS until then. I'm pretty sure it is recommended in the WTM to complete phonics before beginning a spelling program.

For the child doing MFW 1st, isn't there already a lot of phonics in that program? If so, I would only do AAS OR Explode the Code if he is really struggling with what he is learning in MFW.

Otherwise, it looks like a reasonable schedule, though you could stretch out Adventures and finish it up over the summer. Frankly, if your children are enjoying Adventures, I wouldn't drop it unless you are doing a lot of other read-alouds with them. I think reading aloud to them at this age is one of the best things you can do for them.

Lisa

ETA: And I just noticed you are also using OPGTR with your middle child. If MFW 1st really does cover phonics like I think it does, you are using 3 different phonics programs with this child, plus a spelling program that is based heavily on phonics. I would pick the phonics program you think fits him best and drop the others and then hold off on AAS until he is done with phonics.

:iagree: here....drop AAS for both. For your middler either do MFW 1st OR OPG/ETC. My oldest did MFW 1st and after we finished I took him through OPG to check for any "holes" in his understanding (he also did some ETC when we ran through OPG).

AAS is pretty incremental and a lot of kiddos just don't need it. I'd wait a bit and see if it's a need....

DS7-2nd grade. Adventures in MFW, Horizons math 3 w/RS games, PLL first half, explode the code 8, AAS 1, SL 2 advanced readers.

I would drop explode the code for the 7yo.

DD5-1st grade. Tagging along in Adventures in MFW with brother, MFW 1st, Singapore 1A, & OPGTR with explode the code and AAS 1.

I would consider this kiddo K. Drop MFW 1 and AAS 1 until she is 1st grade age. I would continue OPGTR and explode the code. I would continur Singapore if she is doing it easily and it takes less than 15-20 min or switch to a K friendly math program. If she is enjoying OPGTR I would not add in MFW 1 back into the schedule. No need for multiple phonics programs.

DS 4 months. Learning how to get what he wants by smiling and laughing at every person who pays attention to him

Enjoy the baby!

At 1st and 2nd grade, I would only worry about the reading and math. The rest is just icing on the cake. Do the math with each, let the younger do OPGTR and have the older read from his SL 2 advanced readers outloud to you.

You can get library books for science and history to read aloud IF you have time. The weather is getting warmer, so put the baby in the stroller and go for nature walks; talk about what you see. If the 2nd grader is ready and wants to, have him draw a picture and write one sentence about what he saw.

The baby will grow and the olders will learn to read better and will be able to do science and history later.

Linda

:iagree:

In fact, I would go as far as saying I wish I'd done that with my older two. So much can be learned just by observing and discussing things. I think my first few years of homeschooling would have been a lot less stressful if I'd done that!

Edited by funschooler5

Definately dropping AAS for both. I was worried it was confusing my beginning reader anyways. Do you think I can get away without doing any spelling with the 2nd grader until september?

I am having the hardest time deciding for the first grader. I could go one of two ways.

OPG & Explode the code and Horizons math

or

MFW 1st all the way ( I just worry this would be too much prep time for me)

Keeping in mind that her brother is doing adventures so she is picking up Bible, history, and science with him. I like the idea of stretching adventures out over the summer... but I also like the idea of just doing math and reading and getting history from occasional read alouds and science from outdoor activities for the summer. Hmm. My oldest is reading a magic treehouse book every day anyways so we could just learn history along with those.

I would drop ETC, and possibly AAS. I do not think Horizon 1 is any faster than Singapore 1. I have used both.

You don't think that singapore takes more of your time? It seems like with singapore I have to be right with her while doing the activities in the IG and then also with the textbook and have to help her on some of the workbook pages too. With horizons I explain the concept with manipulatives (if needed) and then they do the workbook pages on their own.

Definately dropping AAS for both. I was worried it was confusing my beginning reader anyways. Do you think I can get away without doing any spelling with the 2nd grader until september?

I am having the hardest time deciding for the first grader. I could go one of two ways.

OPG & Explode the code and Horizons math

or

MFW 1st all the way ( I just worry this would be too much prep time for me)

Keeping in mind that her brother is doing adventures so she is picking up Bible, history, and science with him. I like the idea of stretching adventures out over the summer... but I also like the idea of just doing math and reading and getting history from occasional read alouds and science from outdoor activities for the summer. Hmm. My oldest is reading a magic treehouse book every day anyways so we could just learn history along with those.

If your ds is doing ETC that is enough phonics rules which spelling is based on. Or, if it worries you about not doing spelling, get a simple open & go book that he can do pretty independently. OPG is a really thorough phonics program that requires no supplements, so you can drop ETC for your dd as well. I was just sitting here looking at the MFW catalog, and though I have never used MFW, it says there is a complete phonics program. I would drop AAS with ds, and only do OPG + an easy math for you (apparently Horizons) and let her get the rest with her big brother. We are expecting a new addition in the fall & I am revisiting my curriculum choices for 1st to simplify for us!

Edited by PentecostalMom

DS7-2nd grade. Adventures in MFW, Horizons math 3 w/RS games, PLL first half, explode the code 8, AAS 1, SL 2 advanced readers.

I agree on dropping AAS and just doing ETC. When you finish that, you could do a spelling program in 3rd grade. A lot of people don't start one until then anyway.

DD5-1st grade. Tagging along in Adventures in MFW with brother, MFW 1st, Singapore 1A, & OPGTR with explode the code and AAS 1.

I would pick ONE phonics program. If ETC would be enough for this child, go with that (since it's more independent). Or if she needs more help, OPGTR would be good. Drop AAS for sure.

If you like Singapore but want it to be more independent, have you looked at Math Mammoth? It's the same method, but the text is written to the student. It's quick and easy to teach, because there is no "lesson" to teach beforehand. You just go over a section, then let them practice that concept, then go over the next section, etc. It doesn't require manipulatives (though you can use them if your child needs them). Obviously, in first grade, and especially at 5, no math will be truly independent, but I can walk away for a minute and tend to other children or laundry or whatever and come back when my son needs me. I don't have to teach a whole lesson. The actual instruction is pretty quick and easy.

Since this child is tagging along on MFW Adventures, I'd probably drop MFW 1st unless you're specifically using their phonics program (in which case I'd drop OPGTR, ETC, and AAS). She's K age, so I'd just worry about reading and math. History and science are gravy. Consider thinking of her as "K" even though she's doing first grade work. My son is first grade and doing a lot of second grade work. I'm still calling him first grade. My next son is 4 (school-wise, would be considered PreK3), and he will very likely be doing K level work next year (he's doing a tiny bit now, but not enough to really call it "K"). I plan to call him "K" when he's supposed to be in K, even if he's doing first grade (or higher) work by that point. It takes some pressure off to think "Wow, he's only preK, so it's ok that we don't do anything for a month." :lol: You could pretty much do the same thing with your DD... If she's supposed to be K (per public school system), I'd consider requiring the amount of K work, even if it's at first grade level. That puts less pressure on you. There's no hurry to get to the end. And even if she accelerates, it's probably a bit easier to do it another year or two from now when she can read and write more easily.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing what you decide and how it works for you. I'm only officially schooling 1 and just occasionally schooling the 2nd one. I'm glad that by time #2 is *supposed* to be schooling, my youngest will be almost 3.5. That should be easier than now, when he's not quite 2. Toddlers make life difficult!

For ds7: MFW, Horizons (no RS games), PLL

For dd5: Singapore 1A and OPGTR, tag along with brother in MFW

That's it. No AAS, no SL readers, no ETC, no RS games

2nd grader rotate between Horizons and games (who cares if it takes more than a school year to get through 3). Drop AAS. Cut back to minimum in MFW and continue the reading.

1st grader - Don't give any work from Adventures; drop OPGTR and AAS1 and work through ETC.

Follow a loop schedule, so if you don't get something done on one day, you pick up with it the next.

DS7-2nd grade. Adventures in MFW, Horizons math 3, PLL first half, explode the code 8, SL 2 advanced readers.

DD5-1st grade. Tagging along in Adventures in MFW with brother, Singapore 1A, & OPGTR with explode the code (keep both, but alternate)

I'd drop AAS, but take that with a grain of salt as ETC is all it's taking for my 7 yo to learn to spell. I'd keep the SL readers as they really don't take long, and if your child is willingly reading out loud with you, that habit needs to be encouraged.

I'm also going to agree with Linda here and say that history is just not that important right now. Maybe get SOTW on cd and let them listen.

DD5 - Choose OPGTR *or* ETC and drop everything else. EVERYTHING else. Do some real-life math for a while...let her play with math manipulatives while you do math with big brother. Let her be "on mommy's team" when you play RS games.

DS7 - Choose ETC *or* AAS, Keep up with the math-maybe slow the pace, PLL, and then drop the scheduled aspect of all the reading...just read daily.

So for sit-down seatwork:

dd5 - phonics

ds7 - phonics/spelling, math, PLL

This is what I would do, but I admittedly have an aversion to scheduled readings...so dropping MFW and the SL schedule would be 1st to go. I schedule in the time to read, but not so much the books and/or chapters. I'd definitely have ds7 read for 30min-hour each day, but I'd just relax on required reading selection.

DD5 - Choose OPGTR *or* ETC and drop everything else. EVERYTHING else. Do some real-life math for a while...let her play with math manipulatives while you do math with big brother. Let her be "on mommy's team" when you play RS games.

DS7 - Choose ETC *or* AAS, Keep up with the math-maybe slow the pace, PLL, and then drop the scheduled aspect of all the reading...just read daily.

So for sit-down seatwork:

dd5 - phonics

ds7 - phonics/spelling, math, PLL

This is what I would do, but I admittedly have an aversion to scheduled readings...so dropping MFW and the SL schedule would be 1st to go. I schedule in the time to read, but not so much the books and/or chapters. I'd definitely have ds7 read for 30min-hour each day, but I'd just relax on required reading selection.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

This is my favorite idea yet!

You don't think that singapore takes more of your time? It seems like with singapore I have to be right with her while doing the activities in the IG and then also with the textbook and have to help her on some of the workbook pages too. With horizons I explain the concept with manipulatives (if needed) and then they do the workbook pages on their own.

I would drop Singapore in favor of a less intensive teaching math. I would keep AAS because for us that is what really got my son reading. The beginning of AAS wasn't helpful because it just reviewed the letter sounds but once we moved past that it became invaluable. I also use AAS for dictation, I state the sentence, he repeats it orally and then writes it, and it can take the place of handwriting if you require that every sentence be written nearly perfectly. It also doesn't have to be time intensive. I only use the tiles in the beginning of the lesson to cement the rule and then DS writes the practice words on the white board. Once he finishes the practice words I give him his comp notebook and he does the phrases and sentences as dictation. On really streamlined days when we have a lot going on, I will ask him to circle all the "part of speech" in his sentences. (Whatever we are working on in grammar) If you can't tell I am a huge fan. :tongue_smilie:

Regarding first grade math:

We use Singapore and supplement with Horizons so I'm familiar with both programs. And I used to teach math, so am comfortable with the subject. I would not use Singapore 1A with a 5 year old. The real benefit of Singapore is how it builds mental math skills. To do that the child has to be able to hold information in her brain while manipulating it. I'm thinking of skills such as adding 27+6 by making a 10--"what do you need to add to 7 to make a 10? 3. If you take 3 from the 6, how much is leftover?" This is a really sophisticated skill and one that they would be teaching in Singapore at age 7 I believe. But it is also a very powerful technique that will serve your child well down the road. And she will never learn it in Horizons. We supplement with Horizons because it is great for review and has a wide variety of problems that is good for standardized test prep. But it does not *teach* how to think about math. It doesn't compare with Singapore for conceptual thinking.

In your situation I would back off on math for your dd and wait until next school year for 1A. Or do Horizons K first, or play RS games, or check into other programs often mentioned here. I really don't like what Horizons alone does for learning double-digit addition in first grade--line 'em up and add with no discussion of place value or what you are really doing.

Just my two cents.

No I do not think Singapore takes more time especially for 1a. Horizon worksheets are quite packed and took my ds longer even though it was mainly independent. Now I work through the textbook examples with them, and they do the workbook pretty much on their own. For me we didn't use ETC as our actual Phonics instruction, so it became mostly busy work for my ds this year, and I quickly dropped it. My ds was reading well at the beginning of 2nd, so he really didn't need it anyways. Dd does ETC whenever she feels like it, but I don't really require it. I also started to use PLL this year with my ds, but I pretty much dropped that part way through the year too. I felt like either the assignments were too hard(as in dictation from passages that were too hard for him to spell), or just wasn't teaching him much of anything he didn't already know. I personally would not drop daily reading for your son. My ds has improved in his reading so much this year through daily reading from real books. Having ds read to me is easy because he can do it anywhere even while I'm cooking, cleaning, or driving.

I totally missed that your dd was 5. My dd turned 5 October 31st, and I started out the year with her doing SM 1a. While she could do it I decided to chill on that. Handwriting was a big struggle for her at the beginning of the year, and looking ahead to 1b the concepts get pretty hard. I put 1a away after taking my dh's advice, and got her the SM essentials K. She loves math, and loves the essentials books. I'm really glad I made that decision because her writing skills have greatly improved, and so has her number sense. She will be more than ready fro 1a/1b when we get to them, and really be able to understand the concepts. Also the essentials books are pretty much independent for her.

Thank you for your comments. I think I have gotten some great advice. I am pretty sure I have made up my mind to drop AAS for both kiddos. I will also be dropping formal math with my 5yr old. She already plays a ton of the RS games with us on "Mama's team" as someone mentioned. So that should cover it for a K'er. I think I was trying to accelerate her too fast. She is keeping up pace in MFW 1st so far but we are only two weeks into it. At first glance singapore 1 seemed easy enough for her but I think you are all right that it is for older students. I think if I stick with Horizons and add in the RS games for mental math tricks that should help... but not until next year. When she is six. So now I just have to decide if I should do OPG, ETC, or MFW 1st with her. Only one of those not all lol. I can't believe I have been putting her through that. Poor child. Good thing she is so good spirited.

2nd grader 7yr old- MFW Adventures (maybe or maybe drop that too) :(

ETC, PLL, Horizons (RS games because we skip Horizons on the days we play the games), and SL readers (because he really enjoys them and it is easy to listen to him read while nursing the baby)

K'er 5yr old- ETC or OPG or MFW 1st???? And math games with Mama and Brother or if doing MFW 1st just follow that for math (for those of you not familiar with MFW it is built in through real life activities and math literature)

The reason I am having such a hard time with the 5yr old is because I know she would really enjoy all the activities in MFW 1st for math. I would basically just be doing the math and LA portion with her. I feel that for three years now the focus of school has been on her brother and that she would love for some of that attention to be on her. It would make her love learning and feel special to do MFW 1st, but do I have the time for it. I guess I could try dropping everything else and just see how it goes with using MFW 1st with her. We can always drop it and pick up the others at that time since she is so young and it wouldn't make her behind.

Thank you all so much for helping me through this decision. It is so great to have this forum for support and encouragement.

I just realized that we don't have to do EVERYTHING EVERY day. Why couldn't we only do some things a day a week, or twice a week. Especially with the 5yr old. She could do math games one day and phonics the next. I think that would make it more enjoyable too. O.K. I am going to bed now. lol I can't be that warm fun-loving mama I crave being if I don't get any sleep ;-)

I just realized that we don't have to do EVERYTHING EVERY day. Why couldn't we only do some things a day a week, or twice a week. Especially with the 5yr old. She could do math games one day and phonics the next. I think that would make it more enjoyable too. O.K. I am going to bed now. lol I can't be that warm fun-loving mama I crave being if I don't get any sleep ;-)

You're right! We don't and it makes a HUGE difference in our enjoyment levels!

Thank you for your comments. I think I have gotten some great advice. I am pretty sure I have made up my mind to drop AAS for both kiddos. I will also be dropping formal math with my 5yr old. She already plays a ton of the RS games with us on "Mama's team" as someone mentioned. So that should cover it for a K'er. I think I was trying to accelerate her too fast. She is keeping up pace in MFW 1st so far but we are only two weeks into it. At first glance singapore 1 seemed easy enough for her but I think you are all right that it is for older students. I think if I stick with Horizons and add in the RS games for mental math tricks that should help... but not until next year. When she is six. So now I just have to decide if I should do OPG, ETC, or MFW 1st with her. Only one of those not all lol. I can't believe I have been putting her through that. Poor child. Good thing she is so good spirited.

2nd grader 7yr old- MFW Adventures (maybe or maybe drop that too) :(

ETC, PLL, Horizons (RS games because we skip Horizons on the days we play the games), and SL readers (because he really enjoys them and it is easy to listen to him read while nursing the baby)

K'er 5yr old- ETC or OPG or MFW 1st???? And math games with Mama and Brother or if doing MFW 1st just follow that for math (for those of you not familiar with MFW it is built in through real life activities and math literature)

The reason I am having such a hard time with the 5yr old is because I know she would really enjoy all the activities in MFW 1st for math. I would basically just be doing the math and LA portion with her. I feel that for three years now the focus of school has been on her brother and that she would love for some of that attention to be on her. It would make her love learning and feel special to do MFW 1st, but do I have the time for it. I guess I could try dropping everything else and just see how it goes with using MFW 1st with her. We can always drop it and pick up the others at that time since she is so young and it wouldn't make her behind.

Thank you all so much for helping me through this decision. It is so great to have this forum for support and encouragement.

Based on this, for the 5 year old, I'd drop everything but MFW 1st. If you continue doing MFW Adv, then I'd not do much else in MFW but the LA and math. My 6 year old is doing MFW 1st and it's plenty by itself for a kid learning to read (in my opinion, unless she needs more practice). There are games on literactive.com and starfall.com (both free) that we like to reinforce our lessons with. More practice and it's fun!

For your 7 year old, he'll be fine with or without MFW Adventures. You could just put all the books in a basket and read them as you can (unscheduled, keep it light!).

Hope this helps.

Everything.

Go play outside. It's spring. School will be here in the fall, and your baby will be enough older that things will be sane. Nothing will happen if you drop everything, chase butterflies, and dig up worms. If you feel compelled, do math daily. Put on audio books. Let them watch Mr. Rogers, Magic Schoolbus, and Little Bear. Go to the library. That's all. They're 7 and under, not high school. The world will not end. :)

Everything.

Go play outside. It's spring. School will be here in the fall, and your baby will be enough older that things will be sane. Nothing will happen if you drop everything, chase butterflies, and dig up worms. If you feel compelled, do math daily. Put on audio books. Let them watch Mr. Rogers, Magic Schoolbus, and Little Bear. Go to the library. That's all. They're 7 and under, not high school. The world will not end. :)

I just love your posts OhE. :001_smile:

Everything.

This is what we have been doing today! Thanks for great advice! The day so far has gone extremely well. We are enjoying eachothers company, the baby is actually REALLY happy instead of fussy... and to top it off the kids have learned about the way the greeks and romans dressed (because my son is reading a book that he picked about the greek myths right now), why chickens molt (because our chickens just got done molting and the kids commented on it while we were outside), and how to spell some new words (becuase while writing in his journal by choice my son wanted to know how to spell certain words).... all interest led.

I wish we could do this ALL THE TIME! I just am too nervous to do it like this every day. Maybe there is a happy medium. Maybe we take two days a week and just do interest led school and the other days we can do our cut down version of formal schooling. I am going to take today and give this some serious thought and prayer.

I wish we could do this ALL THE TIME! I just am too nervous to do it like this every day. Maybe there is a happy medium. Maybe we take two days a week and just do interest led school and the other days we can do our cut down version of formal schooling. I am going to take today and give this some serious thought and prayer.

The Baby IS the Lesson. If you've never read this...check it out.

If you can't totally let go (loved OhE's post!) then stick with math, handwriting, and reading, and a bedtime story/read-aloud. Skip history, science, spelling (and I LOVE AAS!), and all the rest. If you want a tad more than that, then I might add spelling back in for your 7 yo but not your 1st grader--though honestly my inclination would be to just wait until fall on that, fast track your kids through to just fill in any gaps and get to the point where there is new information rather than doing every last bit of AAS 1.

You can also do lighter weeks of just these basics--3 days a week will keep them from forgetting their skills but still give you some breaks, and doing JUST the basics will make it not seem so rushed. Continue a lit. read-aloud for bedtime stories, or read some fun picture books--whatever strikes your fancy. When I have needed to drop EVERYTHING else, I still tried to send my kids to read and read aloud to them.

Leave books around if you want and let your kids beg you to read them. You'd be surprised how much they can learn even just paging through science books and looking at the pictures.

Science & history at this age is total gravy, icing on the cake, you get the picture. It's ok to drop these for now and pick them up later.

Another thing I used to do when my kids were younger was to have two types of schedules/routines. My dh is disabled & we had some really rough days back then. I put asterisks by the "essentials," so that on a rough day I knew we were doing what I felt had to happen (meals, play time, read-alouds, my quiet time etc...), and then when we had a rough day, I just went to that routine instead of a full school routine.

I also liked to keep a schedule-journal, and I would do things like write down what the kids learned in a subject area--so from your day I might write by science--"molting chickens" and so on. That's just as legitimate as a book or curriculum and more memorable. That's "doing school" and fed my box-checker type needs when I was concerned about how things were going.

Hang in there and enjoy your 4 mo!!

Merry :-)

Edited by MerryAtHope

Well I didn't say drop everything FOREVER, lol. But I will say 6-9 weeks, a couple months can be HUGE with a baby. Do you normally take the summer of? Take it now! 13 weeks of nothing but chicken poop and interest-led science and library books and worthwhile videos or audio, time outside, and their daily math. At the end of that things should be more comfortable, and you can start adding back in subjects, one at a time.