Menu

What should DH bring us from China?

Dh will be in Hong Kong and Shenzhen for several days. What kind of gifts should he consider for the kids and me? Any ideas? Thanks.

We had great fun at the Jade Market. They have lovely carvings of the animals in the Chinese zodiac, necklaces, bracelets. I ended up with several glass bead necklaces that I get lots of compliments on. I also bought some "watermelon jade".

I wouldn't suggest he spend a lot of money, because it's easy for what you are buying to be of lower value than it is being presented. The "watermelon jade" is a good example. It is pretty, but it is actually white stone dyed pink and green. So I'm glad I only spend a few dollars.

My son got a cool little clock. DH bought a Mao watch (Mao waves along with the second hand).

We also got some nice pillow covers in silk.

I have several silk art wall hangings that I love. I also have chopsticks that are very nice. But my favorite thing I got was an etched carving (on stone) of my kids. I had a picture with me and left it with the store and came back in an hour or so and picked it up. I wish I had gotten several for extended family for Christmas. I have a very nice picture on my wall of two small Chinese children that I love.

I did get several jade carvings for necklaces and cell phone jewelry as well.

The hard part is to find things that you can't just get locally at a Chinatown or Chinese store.

Dawn

But my favorite thing I got was an etched carving (on stone) of my kids. I had a picture with me and left it with the store and came back in an hour or so and picked it up.

We have one of these too, and I LOVE it.

When I was on an international flight a few years ago, one of the flight attendants was showing all the other flight attendants what he had bought. He had the most amazing curtains and sheets and other stuff. Quite . I think they were embroidered. Anyway I was pretty impressed. They were totally gorgeous. I asked him and he said he got them in India. I suspect you would be able to find something like that in China too.

Chinese people like high carat gold. That's always a nice gift. Heh.

Edited by stripe

As someone who has lived in China (from July 2007 to December 2010) and spent a semester in Hong Kong (in 1997), please don't buy electronics there unless you're okay with a fake.

It is too hard as a westerner on the ground for only a few days to distinguish between fakes and reals and it really DOES make a difference if you value your money and don't want to buy a product that will break and leave you with no warranty. Not to mention that the price of authentic electronics is generally about the same as the price of authentic electronics (or more!) in the US. I taught photography and we were frustrated with the pricing of Canon Rebels- it was much much cheaper on Amazon than it was in the local Chinese market.

I have a hard time coming up with suggestions for people of what to bring back, because we're not really souvenir people. We *lived* there, and didn't see it as a tourist site. My favorite thing I brought back from China is my Starbucks China mug. *shrug*

It isn't Chinese, really... it's just... something I love.

We have scrolls with our Chinese names painted on them. And we have chops (the little carved stamps) with our names on them. And some beautiful embroidered silk things.

And I have a few carved wooden Christmas ornaments but those weren't things you could just get easily in China- they were from specialty vendors near Beijing.

Anyway, I hope he is having fun! China is a beautiful, challenging, and wonderful place to visit!

oh, one more thing.

A lot of people have this idea that "everything in China is cheap".

With inflation over the last couple of years, prices have skyrocketed. It is still a bit cheaper cost of living, especially in rural China, but in the cities, stuff is expensive. The only stuff cheaper than it is in America is junk. Really.

Good stuff costs $$.

I know people had expectations of us buying armfuls of high-quality stuff at rock-bottom prices when we lived there... um, not so much!

In touristy areas, you can still get good prices on lovely qipaos (the traditional straight Chinese dresses) if you have daughters who have the figures to wear them (my older daughter is too "thick" to fit in them- she's age 8 but a size 12 girls and just can't fit in them proportionally anymore). It won't be high-quality silk or anything, but they're pretty!

Kimberly

Something else that's really fun and unique, but may have to be ordered a day or so in advance, is to get chops made for each person. The name is translated into Chinese characters and carved into soapstone. Then the chop is pressed into an ink pad - usually red - and stamped onto paper. You'll have you're own unique chop which serves as your legal signature in China. :) Or you could get one for your family name, and use it on the back of Christmas card envelopes.

Things related to the kids year - year of the tiger, rat, etc. - are cool. Could be a tea cup or even the chocks come with a "statue" of the animal on top of the chock.

Edited by Teachin'Mine
I realized they're called chops! lol

I don't know if you can get these at Chinatown, but I can tell you what I appreciated my dh brought us. The thing I loved the most is a set of silk PJs, then a pair of Chinese opera masks have been great for the kids. We also use a family set of chopsticks. My dh also bought me a ladies' Chinese dress because I am petite and slim so it fits well, but I have to say I have not had much use of it although it is lovely! He also brought a couple of ornaments that while beautiful just don't go with our decor, so they are in storage.

My father was in the military and traveled a lot. Some of the things that he brought my brothers than they always like was money from each place he visited, just small bills and coins but they collected them and liked them. We all got postcards sent from where-ever, mailed with a local stamp and postmark. My father always brought me a doll from each locality and I got some for my oldest dd when we were overseas. Perhaps martial arts weapons or clothing items if they are interested in that. The chocks sound like a really neat idea as well.

ETA: Oh, I forgot to mention, I am not a jewelry person myself but I did get a set of pearls in Japan that I absolutely loved until they were lost in a move. They had sentimental value and was an item I really would have liked to pass down to my girls.

Edited by KidsHappen

A purse! I have a Chinese purse that I actually bought here, but I get compliments on it all the time. Total strangers stop me to comment on it. The girl working in the Starbucks drive-through saw it in the seat next to me and commented on it. Seriously, every stinking time I carry it, someone says something. It is the coolest thing I own. I have a friend from China who is going back this summer and is going to bring me another one, so I will have a spare. Mine is black and red, zippered, shoulder handles, with Chinese symbols woven into the fabric.

I have been to China, and besides a baby, we brought back folk art, jewelry (jade, pearls and cloisonne--but don't pay more than you would pay for costume jewelry in the US) and a very cute ( but uncomfortable) pair of embroidered shoes for me. The t-shirts we bought shrunk to the size of a Bitty Baby, so I don't recommend them!

Terri

Here were my favorite souvenirs:

Jade necklace (well, the $10 version. But it looks nice and is real stone).

A couple inexpensive small paintings.

A wall hanging with Chinese characters.

A bamboo tea tray and small tea set.

Tea.

Dresses for the kids.

Cheap mini-replicas of the Terracotta Warriors.

Bilingual children's books.

:001_smile:

I just came back from Hong Kong. I don't know if you like something that hand-engraved your name on it.

I bought a pair of chopsticks for my friend. I told the man his name and he can write one chopstick with English and another with Chinese translation right on the spot. He has others stuff that you can tell him to put your name on. The pair of chopsticks are not expensive, only about $5 US.

This is not something you can easily get anywhere.

If you are interested, send me a PM. I can tell you exactly where it is.

If he can get to a pearl market (the really huge ones), beautiful necklaces of pearl, jade, coral, etc. along with earrings and bracelets can be custom made.

Embroidery is also beautiful. There is some that looks the same on the front and back - astonishing. Also, paper cuts of pandas, trees, etc. are inexpensive and look great when framed together once he gets home.

If he can get to a pearl market (the really huge ones), beautiful necklaces of pearl, jade, coral, etc. along with earrings and bracelets can be custom made.

I was going to say pearls! They have some beautiful ones there! Also, cashmeir (Sp?) shawls... I have a few that I love! Also DVD's. :) Make sure he asks if they are good ones!