Menu

Please, please, please pray for my friend Audora

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, there's more!!! She's moving ALL her limbs. ALL of them!!!!! She tells them when she's thirsty.

She squeezed my husband's hand when he anointed her. She knows what's going on!!!!

My heart is SOOOOO happy now!!!!!!

I need to quote this as some are missing this amazingly good news!!!!

:) God is good!!!!!!!!!!

Don't ever give up on her, even if she ends up with disabilities after her stroke. Neurologists have learned so much more about the brain than was known even ten years ago. The brain can "wake up" and also re-learn so many things over time. I know... my husband had a massive stroke 10 months ago. He was not expected to live. You can read my daughters' blog on him at http://www.geoffhathaway.blogspot.com. I think it sounds like your friend is doing great:001_smile:.

WOW!!! I'm so sorry to hear about your dh. I'm off to read your daughter's blog.

Don't ever give up on her, even if she ends up with disabilities after her stroke. Neurologists have learned so much more about the brain than was known even ten years ago. The brain can "wake up" and also re-learn so many things over time. I know... my husband had a massive stroke 10 months ago. He was not expected to live. You can read my daughters' blog on him at www.geoffhathaway.blogspot.com. I think it sounds like your friend is doing great:001_smile:.

Oh wow - it sounds like he's been working hard on his recovery and is doing great! Sounds like a great Easter is planned!!! I agree that that the brain is capable of so much more than ever thought possible. :)

She was my best friend in high school and we're still friends. She is now really good friends with my mom.

She had what they thought was a sinus infection all week last week. Then, early this morning, she had a massive stroke. They now think that she was having mini-strokes all week. Anyway, she's in critical condition and has not regained consciousness. They are life-flighting her to a hospital near me and I hope to visit her, if they'll let me.

My friend is 40 and has three young children - 18, 10, and 7. I am just devastated. Please tell me she can still be alright? And, please pray!!!

ETA::The news keeps getting worse and worse. I can't go into all of it right now (I'm just too exhausted to type it all out), but things just don't look good.

AND, she had slurred speech on Friday and she went to the doctor. He told her that it was a sinus infection and didn't send her for any further tests.

ETA:: 10:02 SHE'S RESPONDING!!!!!!!! My husband just called so I could talk with her husband. She's opening her eyes, lifting eyebrows, and smiling!!!!!!!!! Seriously - we were told she needed a miracle and it sounds like we might have one!!!!! I'm crying tears of joy right now!!!!!!

ETA: 10:08 after speaking with my husband who visited her: And, there's more!!! She's moving ALL her limbs. ALL of them!!!!! She tells them when she's thirsty.

She squeezed my husband's hand when he anointed her. She knows what's going on!!!!

My heart is SOOOOO happy now!!!!!!

ETA : 8:17 am Her brother just wrote that he talked to her on the phone and she said, "I love you!" Can you believe it????? She may actually come out of this. What they found is that she has multiple blood clots in her neck and brain. Please pray that they resolve without brain surgery.

Still praying :001_smile::grouphug:!

Amazing! I'm continuing to pray for her and all of you. How's Meg today? You would think I would expect it by now but I'm regularly amazed at anointing and how people that are alert feel something tangible or those that don't appear to be alert respond in some way to the Holy Spirit and God at work.

Great news, praying for more right now!

Re. hearing during a coma, I had a very rational, liberal, almost skeptical campus pastor tell me this story: When he was in the seminary, the students had to do field work in local ministries. He and a buddy visited the sick in a local hospital. There was a man who was in a coma there, and the buddy would go in every time they visited, sit with him, tell him what was going on in the world, read some Bible passages, and pray with him and then leave. No response, ever, but he kept it up for weeks or months (I forget how long). Anyway, one day they found the man's room empty, so they assumed that he had died, but a nurse ran into them and told them that 'someone' was looking for them. It was the man in the coma. He recognized the buddy from his voice only. He thanked him for visiting and told him that for a very long time he was the only one who ever talked to him. He remembered even though he had been in a coma and completely unresponsive.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Re. hearing during a coma, I had a very rational, liberal, almost skeptical campus pastor tell me this story: When he was in the seminary, the students had to do field work in local ministries. He and a buddy visited the sick in a local hospital. There was a man who was in a coma there, and the buddy would go in every time they visited, sit with him, tell him what was going on in the world, read some Bible passages, and pray with him and then leave. No response, ever, but he kept it up for weeks or months (I forget how long). Anyway, one day they found the man's room empty, so they assumed that he had died, but a nurse ran into them and told them that 'someone' was looking for them. It was the man in the coma. He recognized the buddy from his voice only. He thanked him for visiting and told him that for a very long time he was the only one who ever talked to him. He remembered even though he had be in a coma and completely unresponsive.

This is an amazing story!

Still praying for your friend, Jennifer. :grouphug:

Thank you all again! I updated in the first post.

Amazing! I'm continuing to pray for her and all of you. How's Meg today? You would think I would expect it by now but I'm regularly amazed at anointing and how people that are alert feel something tangible or those that don't appear to be alert respond in some way to the Holy Spirit and God at work.

Isn't it amazing!!?? She was at her best last night right after dh anointed her.

Re. hearing during a coma, I had a very rational, liberal, almost skeptical campus pastor tell me this story: When he was in the seminary, the students had to do field work in local ministries. He and a buddy visited the sick in a local hospital. There was a man who was in a coma there, and the buddy would go in every time they visited, sit with him, tell him what was going on in the world, read some Bible passages, and pray with him and then leave. No response, ever, but he kept it up for weeks or months (I forget how long). Anyway, one day they found the man's room empty, so they assumed that he had died, but a nurse ran into them and told them that 'someone' was looking for them. It was the man in the coma. He recognized the buddy from his voice only. He thanked him for visiting and told him that for a very long time he was the only one who ever talked to him. He remembered even though he had be in a coma and completely unresponsive.

Wow! What an amazing story!!! I have read to speak directly to the patient. I did that a lot. I don't know if she's still technically in a coma since she can respond to us. I didn't ask. I'm just so glad I got to see her.

I'm just now seeing this, Jennifer, but I have prayed for her. THank you for all the updates! You are a wonderful friend for staying with her and helping her family. May God continue to bless you both. :grouphug:

When I first read this I was praying she got to the hospital in time for that super clot-busting shot that they can give; if you get it in the first hour or so, it can totally reverse the stroke. Don't know if she got it, but the results, it sounds, are pretty stinking close to the same: MIRACULOUS!!!!!

Praising God for His wonderful gift of healing!!!!!!!

Thinking about you today and praying.

Thanks! I think of you when I'm feeling desperate about the situation. I bet if we compare, the times would coincide! Really - everyone's prayers are holding ME up too!

When I first read this I was praying she got to the hospital in time for that super clot-busting shot that they can give; if you get it in the first hour or so, it can totally reverse the stroke. Don't know if she got it, but the results, it sounds, are pretty stinking close to the same: MIRACULOUS!!!!!

Praising God for His wonderful gift of healing!!!!!!!

She actually didn't make it in time for those to work. I don't know the name, but she has a different type of stroke and I don't really understand it. SHe didn't present with the typical symptoms - she'd had a headache all week and was vomiting from it. But, she gets migraines. When it had lasted all week, she went to the hospital after slurring some speech to her dh. They diagnosed her with a sinus infection. :glare: That night she had the massive stroke. They think she was having mini-strokes all week.

ETA!!!!!!! 4/14: Her sister just called me! They're meeting with doctors today to discuss moving her OUT of the hospital and into a rehab facility!!!!!!! Can you believe this???? Just five days ago doctors said she needed a miracle!!!! She got it!!! I'm still in disbelief!

They are sure that the clots are breaking up enough that she'll be okay. She's still having some mini-seizures, but they think those will stop when the clots keep breaking up. (That could take months)

Yesterday in speech therapy, she said a sentence. Her daughter said, "MOM! You said a sentence!" Audora looked at her and said, "No. I said a phrase!!!" Her sense of humor is still there!!!! The sat up by herself for 5 minutes AND she took a few steps!!!!

She's still absolutely exhausted, which may be because of the seizures they said. The OB has said that the baby still looks great and he expect a healthy baby!

Her husband has asked my husband and me (and her sister) to take over the overnight vigil. He promised her he wouldn't leave her alone. So, I may be on here a lot as I stay with her!!

Jennifer this is so amazing and wonderful!!!!!!

She's pregnant too???? I had no idea!

I'm praying for her, now her baby too, you, her family and all who are caring for her. Keep up the good work!!! :)

Jennifer this is so amazing and wonderful!!!!!!

She's pregnant too???? I had no idea!

I'm praying for her' date=' now her baby too, you, her family and all who are caring for her. Keep up the good work!!! :)[/quote']

Yes! I didn't say that at first because they weren't telling ANYONE!!! My mom knew and was the ONLY one. When I heard about the blood clots, I asked my mom how long she'd been pregnant (I guessed). My mom's silence told me everything. So, I knew and was dying to tell people!!! She's 8 weeks along.

Thank you so much for your prayers. They are definitely still needed!!!

Way to go Audora!!! And look at you hanging out in the hospital ! A lovely answer to prayer. Now have they stopped any more clots from forming?

Yes! She's on blood thinners which should keep more from forming. THe ones she now has are not lift-threatening any more. They've moved a bit and broken up. She's out of the woods medically.

But, her husband just posted something on her Caringbridges site. Audora is now more fully aware of what has happened and she's fighting depression. Her husband is a therapist and he says he recognizes the "stare" that she has - she's giving in. Today she's just sitting there staring and crying silent tears. This breaks my heart.

But, her husband just posted something on her Caringbridges site. Audora is now more fully aware of what has happened and she's fighting depression. Her husband is a therapist and he says he recognizes the "stare" that she has - she's giving in. Today she's just sitting there staring and crying silent tears. This breaks my heart.

:grouphug:

Google post-stroke depression. This is very common.

Post stroke depression

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Post-stroke depression (PSD) is considered the most frequent and important neuropsychiatric consequence of stroke. Approximately one-third of stroke survivors experience major depression. Moreover this condition can have an adverse effect on cognitive function, functional recovery and survival.

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) IV categorizes post-stroke depression as “mood disorder due to a general medical condition (i.e. stroke)†with the specifiers of depressive features, major depressive-like episodes, manic features, or mixed features. Utilizing patient data from acute hospital admission, community surveys, or out patient clinics previous studies have identified two types of depressive disorders associated with cerebral ischemia: major depression, which occurs in up to 25% of patients; and minor depression, which has been defined for research purposes by DSM-IV criteria as a depressed mood or loss of interest and at least two but fewer than four symptoms of major depression. Minor depression occurs in up to 30% of patients following stroke.

Prevalence clearly varies over time with an apparent peak 3–6 months after stroke and subsequent decline in prevalence at one-year reaches about to 50% of initial rates. Robinson and colleagues characterized the natural course of major depression after stroke with spontaneous remission typically 1 to 2 years after stroke However, it was also noted that in few cases depression becomes chronic and may persist more than 3 years following stroke . On the other hand, minor depression appeared to be more variable, with both short term and long term depression occurring in these patients .

The scientific community is divided into two “camps†supporting opposing views: some propose a primary biological mechanism with stroke affecting neural circuits involved in mood regulation which in turn causes post-stroke depression , while other researchers claim that post stroke depression is caused by social and psychological stressors that emerge as a result of stroke.

While an integrated bio-psycho-social model including both biological and psychosocial aspects of post stroke depression seems warranted, a number of studies clearly suggest that biological mechanisms play a major role in the development of post stroke depression.

1. stroke patients show a higher rate of depression compared to orthopedic patients with disabilities of comparable severity.

2. Several studies proposed an association with specific lesions (left anterior and basal ganglia lesions and lesions close to frontal pole) and occurrence of post stroke depression.

3. Some studies reported an association between post-stroke mania and right orbital frontal, basotemporal, basal ganglia lesions.

4. It has been shown that patients with anosognosia who are unaware of their disability still develop post stroke depression.

Despite this evidence, the association of post-stroke depression to specific brain lesions is still vague and needs replication from various independent groups. Furthermore the cause of post stroke depression at a functional level is not clear.

The only biological model was proposed by Robinson and co-workers: They hypothesized that the depletion of monoaminergic amines occurring after stroke play a role in post stroke-depression. They point out that norepinephrinergic and serotonergic nuclei send projections to the frontal cortex and arc posteriorly, running through the deep layers of the cortex, where they arborize and send terminal projections into the superficial cortical layers. These norepinephrinergic and serotoninergic pathways are disrupted in basal ganglia and frontal lobe lesions – sites that are shown to be associated with post stroke depression.

However, this model is far from being universally accepted and there are serious objections both to their model and findings showing the association between post-stroke depression and lesion sites.

Stroke and Depression: Frequently Asked Questions

Robert Robinson, MD

Division of Psychiatry

University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Creation Date: June 2000

Last Revision Date: December 2004

Peer Review Status: Internally Peer Reviewed

Some facts: there are approximately 500,000 strokes that occur in the United States. Of those strokes, about 70 to 80 percent of patients survive the stroke. Of those patients who survive the stroke, depression occurs in approximately 40 to 50 percent of patients. Major depression occurs in about 20 percent of patients. Major depression is the most severe form of clinical depression that we recognize in neuropsychiatry. Another, about 20 percent of patients, will develop minor depression. There are some, approximately 10 to 20 percent of patients, who develop either major or minor depression some months or even a year after the onset of the stroke. Most depressions occur within the acute period after the stroke, but there are some depressions, that are delayed in onset and occur during the first year of poststroke recovery. The issue of poststroke depression has gained worldwide interest in the past 10 years. There has been a general agreement about the prevalence of both major and minor depression after stroke. Depression is one of the major impediments to full physical and mental recovery from stroke.

Do most stroke sufferers end up suffering depression?

Approximately 50 percent will become depressed at some time during the first two years after the stroke. The majority of patients, approximately 40 percent, will develop depression within the first one to two months after the stroke. There is another number of 10 to 20 percent of patients who will develop depression at some later time during the first two years.

What type of rehab can help with stroke depression?

By rehab, I assume what is meant is the usual types of rehabilitation therapy such as physical therapy, speech therapy, and occupational therapy. These do not specifically treat depression after a stroke. The treatment for poststroke depression that has received the most scientific study has been the use of antidepressant medications. Both Nortriptyline and Citalopram have been demonstrated in controlled studies to be effective in treating poststroke depression.

Is stroke patients' depression caused by the physical damage to the brain or do the individuals already have a history of depression before the stroke?

Most patients do not have a history of depression prior to the stroke. Approximately 20 percent will have a prior history, but the majority have never had a prior depression. There is a debate in the literature about the cause of depression after stroke. The debate generally centers around whether the depression is caused by biological factors provoked by the brain injury or whether the depression is a secondary psychological response to the physical, cognitive, and social impairments produced by the stroke. There is evidence in the scientific literature that supports both of these views. My own research has focused in large part on the biological mechanisms that may be involved in depression, because I believe that studying patients with poststroke depression can give us insights into the biological mechanisms causing depression in patients without brain injury.

Google post-stroke depression. This is very common.

Thank you! I'm glad to read that it's common. I just pray it doesn't affect her recovery.

She has been moved to the less medical ward (Not sure what it's called) where she can still get the medical care she needs (feeding tube and catheters right now) as well as the intense therapy.

Yes! She's on blood thinners which should keep more from forming. THe ones she now has are not lift-threatening any more. They've moved a bit and broken up. She's out of the woods medically.

:( Oh no :(

I saw the first update, but not this.

I'll pray for her some more.