Menu

Poll: Will you be attending the RFWP Philadelphia Conference?

Will you be attending the RFWP Philadelphia mini-conference?  

1. 1. Will you be attending the RFWP Philadelphia mini-conference?

• Yes, I will be attending.
    • Undecided, I may be attending.

Will you be attending the RFWP Philadelphia Conference? (even if you did autos in the other thread, please vote in this one.) While not set in stone, unfortunately, here is where things stand. Dr. Kemnitz is working w/ a college to host us for two days, June 24 and 25. As it stands, we'd have one day w/ SWB and one day with MCT and two other speakers. Sadly, he could not find a venue which would accommodate more of the speakers from the Northeast Convention who wanted to come. If the college is able to find meeting room space, they will offer dorm rooms at a VERY affordable price, about $25/night. I have no further info on the dorm rooms, how many per room, etc.

To keep informed of the situation, you can check RFWP's facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Royal-Fireworks-Press/103590278683

********UPDATE*********

The meeting will be held at Valley Forge Christian College. I think this is the link. http://www.vfcc.edu/ Dorm rooms are $32/bed. Dr. K is checking but it's likely two beds/room. There will be a $30 registration fee. The auditorium holds 250 people which should cover everyone here who wanted an intimate two days with SWB and MCT!!!! Registration will open tomorrow at http://www.rfwp.com. There will be two other speakers as well.....one is our very own Kalmia talking about nature study.

Dr. K. anticipates starting Friday at 8AM therefore if you're driving/flying in, you would need to come in Thursday evening. He anticipates ending at no later than 5pm on Saturday.

Capt Uhura

Edited by Capt_Uhura

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning on coming down with two friends - how many beds in a dorm room? Would the prices be per person or per room? With three people (or perhaps four - we were thinking of talking one more friend into coming) , a hotel room isn't much more than $25 a head, and part of my pitch to my friends about coming down is that perhaps there would be a spa in the hotel. :tongue_smilie:

I voted undecided but very leaning toward yes. I have to talk to Dh and find out if he is up for dormrooms or if he would rather stay home and I will come down with my friend and my adult dd...who really wants to meet and hug SWB for helping her Mom give her such a good education!

Faithe

First I'll say that I am grateful for this. Very. But I do wonder if there was some way to add some math to the mix. I have one child who is profoundly gifted in math whose needs aren't being met, and three other children who love math. This mathiness is a great thing, and I feel like I need to build on it. (I do have/use a variety of great math resources--LoF, Singapore, Zaccarros books, etc--but I'm just looking for more conversation, expertise and resources.) We're all a little remedial in writing here, but that ground will be covered beautifully, I know.

I will most likely be unable to drive due to a surgery on my right foot. I will be in a cast up to my knee. I am not sure if I would even want to attempt the Atlanta airport that way, but I would love to attend this. It would certainly be wonderful. Maybe a bit later we can work together to rent cars and share the expense?

First I'll say that I am grateful for this. Very. But I do wonder if there was some way to add some math to the mix. I have one child who is profoundly gifted in math whose needs aren't being met, and three other children who love math. This mathiness is a great thing, and I feel like I need to build on it. (I do have/use a variety of great math resources--LoF, Singapore, Zaccarros books, etc--but I'm just looking for more conversation, expertise and resources.) We're all a little remedial in writing here, but that ground will be covered beautifully, I know.

I do know that Dr. K. was going to see if Zaccaro could attend but w/ the limited venue options, increasing the number of speakers didn't seem possible.

Perhaps those w/ mathy kids will be willing to have a brainstorming-sharing ideas session.

Announcement on Facebook

Royal Fireworks Press

We will hold a series of homeschool workshops with Susan Wise Bauer and Michael Clay Thompson and others on the 24and 25th of June at Valley Forge Christian College. Dormitory accommodation will be available at the college for $32 a night. There will be meals available for those who sign up in advance for them. Details and sign up will be available on our website on Tuesday. Space is limited.

Announcement on Facebook

Royal Fireworks Press

We will hold a series of homeschool workshops with Susan Wise Bauer and Michael Clay Thompson and others on the 24and 25th of June at Valley Forge Christian College. Dormitory accommodation will be available at the college for $32 a night. There will be meals available for those who sign up in advance for them. Details and sign up will be available on our website on Tuesday. Space is limited.

:party::party:

Who else is going to be stalking the site from now until then, just in case?

Registration opens tomorrow at http://www.rfwp.com!!!!!! THe meeting will be held at Valley Forge Christian College. http://www.vfcc.edu/

There will be a $30 registration fee for the meeting. Dr. K. will check on how many beds per room but we are assuming 2 single beds/room. the cost is $32/BED (not room) if you want linens. IF you want to bring your own linens, it is $25-30/night. If you want breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Friday, it's $25.

Ok, I confirmed w/ Dr. K. He's aiming for an 8AM start on Friday so those traveling, may want to come in Thursday evening. Also, the end time will be no later than 5pm on Saturday so those traveling can leave out late afternoon on Saturday.

I do know who the other 2 speakers are ..... One is a WTMer! She recently published a new Nature Study book with RFWP...our very own Kalmia!

The auditorium only holds 250 people so that will be the limit which should cover everyone here at WTM that was interested in going.

Edited by Capt_Uhura

Registration opens tomorrow at http://www.rfwp.com!!!!!! There will be a $30 registration fee for the meeting. Dr. K. will check on how many beds per room but we are assuming 2 single beds/room. the cost is $32/BED (not room) if you want linens. IF you want to bring your own linens, it is $25-30/night. If you want breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Friday, it's $25.

Ok, I confirmed w/ Dr. K. He's aiming for an 8AM start on Friday so those traveling, may want to come in Thursday evening. Also, the end time will be no later than 5pm on Saturday so those traveling can leave out late afternoon on Saturday.

I do know who the other 2 speakers are ..... One is a WTMer! She recently published a new Nature Study book with RFWP...our very own Kalmia!

The auditorium only holds 250 people so that will be the limit which should cover everyone here at WTM that was interested in going.

Ooh, I was considering buying that book! I guess I'll pick it up there then :D

Are we assigned a roomie or do we need to arrange that ourselves? It's an hour and fifteen minutes for me but I think I want to stay anyway. Problem is that I just joined and don't know anyone that well! Does anyone want to be my roomie? :crying: I'm pretty sure I don't snore or anything. :D

Is there ample parking? Will anyone be staying at hotels? Or are most staying there?

I'm toying with the idea of keeping my Marriott reservation. I don't really want to share a room or bathroom (sorry! I'm such a princess :D), so the cost of the room for the night wouldn't be that far off the rate I have at the Marriott, and I have gift cards that will end up making my hotel stay free. On the other hand, I hate to miss the slumber party :tongue_smilie: Who's bringing the vodka in their hairspray bottles?!

I'm toying with the idea of keeping my Marriott reservation. I don't really want to share a room or bathroom (sorry! I'm such a princess :D), so the cost of the room for the night wouldn't be that far off the rate I have at the Marriott, and I have gift cards that will end up making my hotel stay free. On the other hand, I hate to miss the slumber party :tongue_smilie: Who's bringing the vodka in their hairspray bottles?!

See, that's what I"m thinking, too. ;) I still have my reservation at the Radisson, how far is it?