Menu

"Adult Reception"?

It isn't that they won't get to bed at a decent hour. It's that they will be screaming and rolling around during a wedding. At least they would if they were my kids.

Your kids must be much more easy going than mine. My younger son, 6, will just plop himself down at 8pm and start to sob "put me to beeed! Puuuut meee to beeed!" It is rather pitiful. And my older son, 11, stays pleasant but will fall asleep in mid-sentence around 9:30.

My husband wouldn't even have to wonder. The conversation would go like this:

Me: the WEDDING doesn't even START until 9pm

DH: Too bad we can't be there.

Oh, if only dh were that sane. I'd feel sorry for...well, somebody, but at least it would be over. Around here, this discussion is going to go on & ON & ON. :svengo:

Um...don't you think that's a bit much to ask?

If it's for family or good friends, no. Especially since you have the ability to be flexible with their sleep since school doesn't have to start at a certain hour.

My kids haven't ever seemed to respond to the time change: they wake up when they wake up. (Before ME, no matter how late they went to bed. But *cranky* if it was late.)

:grouphug:

But would they start adjusting and sleeping in later if you shifted them 15 minutes later each day?

Oh, sheesh. Yes, it's too much to ask to have the OP move her children's bedtime drastically later to prepare for one night. If her kids are anything like mine, they barely sleep in regardless of how late they go to bed. THEN, they're grumps all day long (esp. older DD).

Plus, am I the only mom here who gets a happy little thrill when I see the sun go down 'cause it's almost the kids' bedtime? I totally need my alone/adults-only time in the evening. I cannot imagine having a week or two of late nights with the kids. Just kill me now! We're already together all flippin' day!! I need an hour or two at night of nobody fighting or asking for a snack or fighting or .... well, fighting (they're going through a phase :tongue_smilie:)

Oh, and then the suuuuper fun time she'll have transitioning them back to a realistic sleep schedule. If they're anything like mine we're talking another full week before life gets back to normal.

Sorry - don't mean to totally go off, but this whole thing has hit a nerve, apparently. And I'm tired, because the kids' sleep schedules are out of whack.

OP: Could you wake them up really, really early on the wedding day (HOURS before their normal wake time) so they'll nap during the afternoon and then supply liberal amounts of Mountain Dew and Pixie Sticks that evening? It might not be ideal, but whatever gets you through the night (literally)..... Good luck with whatever you decide :grouphug:

If I thought that it was too late at night for my kids (and evidently you do) I'd just be saying a polite "Sorry, we can't make it. That's too late at night for our kids." and sending the couple a pretty card or something. :)

MIL doesn't like it? So what… not her kids, not her decision. *shrug*

I don't know the mother of the other child; I've only met the bride 2-3 times. I hate to disappoint anyone, but what I really hate? If we don't go & stay, mil will not be happy. Dad. gum. it. Why does it always come down to that?

Of course, there's a *chance* mil doesn't know the time of the wedding yet & will not be happy when she finds out about *that.*

*Crossing my fingers*

And goodness. I need a volunteer to explain this to dh. He says it's one night--who cares. I started to point out what time we'd get home, but he interrupted & said, "The kids aren't going to get to bed at a decent time: I know that."

But for a 1 hour wedding, it will be ending at 10--if it starts on time. (Weddings aren't an hour! he objected, but less assured than before.) I told him pictures afterward can take close to an hour, but we could estimate just 30 min. If we skip the reception & go straight home, it would be 11:30 when we walk in the door. And right now...he can't go by himself that late at night.

He's almost convinced that something's got to give. But he's an idealist, so he thinks that that something could maybe be *reality.* (No, I didn't say that to him.)

:grouphug:

Such a miserable position!

My cousin got married a few months back. We brought all of the kids, and they were good for the most part, but it was a late afternoon wedding they didn't actually *participate* in. Even still, there was the waiting for the ceremony to start, the shuffling to the cocktail hour while they converted the other room from ceremony to reception, and the shuffling back. They may not have been BAD, but they certainly weren't at their best. Mid-reception I found myself with hyped-up girls and bored, cranky boys.

I don't envy the spot you're in!

OP: Could you wake them up really, really early on the wedding day (HOURS before their normal wake time) so they'll nap during the afternoon and then supply liberal amounts of Mountain Dew and Pixie Sticks that evening? It might not be ideal, but whatever gets you through the night (literally)..... Good luck with whatever you decide :grouphug:

Well...they wake up between 6 & 7. *I* can't imagine getting up hours before that! :lol: And the little one would just put himself back to bed.

Sugar/staying up late = running in crazy train circles. I don't know how helpful that would be for the wedding, lol.

My daughter was in my sister's wedding...she was the only child allowed at the wedding...my son not invited. My sister did find a sitter for both children with the understanding that I would take my daughter back to the house after the ceremony then on the reception. While a pain I understand why she did it and she did set up and pay for the babysitter because she did want my daughter in her wedding otherwise I would not have been able to come at all.

I also know that she kind of set up a "prudes" go home time for my family (non drinkers, not really into the party scene ect) and had all the official stuff before 10 and then we went home (not forced but implied) while she and her friends had a "real" party lol. She did it because she knew we would be uncomfortable with the drinking/partying side of the reception.

ETA: of course the wedding and the location where my children where was no more than 15 mins away so it was easy to take my daughter back to the house.

Oh. my. goodness.

I just re-read the invitation.

:svengo:

It's at 9.

In the evening.

And they want 2yo & 3yo IN it.

Do you KNOW what happens to a 2yo after bedtime? He doesn't get all sweet & cuddly. He goes SUPERNOVA.

:svengo:

I'm guessing these are the people with the... extravagant registry? :D

I would be ready to tell them that my kids can't be in the wedding. I foolishly assumed they wanted the older kids because they know that toddlers/preschoolers don't make the best wedding party participants. Silly me! I am sure they would make completely adorable ring bearer & flower girl, but seriously, they cannot be IN a wedding that starts at NINE.

(Please forgive me. I have cramps this morning and am in a rather kick-a$$ mood. What is WRONG with these people? Why on earth would anyone START their wedding at 9pm?)

If you think your kids won't handle this well and might actually cause a disruption during the wedding, then I think you'll be doing everyone a favour to let the bride know that. She obviously must not understand that she's in for, so she may just breath a sigh of relief and happily excuse you from the whole thing when you explain it to her. (Hint: This is not the time to make your kids sound like the sweet little angels they are. ;))

Well...they wake up between 6 & 7. *I* can't imagine getting up hours before that! :lol: And the little one would just put himself back to bed.

Sugar/staying up late = running in crazy train circles. I don't know how helpful that would be for the wedding, lol.

Might serve her right :D

(I'm KIDDING, people!)

I don't envy your position, Aubrey! Hang in there :grouphug:

Oh my gosh--I hadn't thought of that!

Ugh. Dh has apparently known about this & just didn't think about how the kids would be. Now? His solution is to "not stay very long FOR THE RECEPTION."

We were about to watch a movie together. Now I'm back w/ you guys. Sometimes mellow makes me mad. LOL

Poor planning on her part doesn't make this an emergency on your part. She wants 2 & 3 year olds in her wedding at 9 pm? Okee-dokee. The fact she didn't consider how tired the kids might be isn't your problem :001_smile:. You get what you pay for, you reap what you sow. Now, it might be your kids behave like angels, but if not, really....she should've considered other people besides herself when she chose a 9 pm start time.

If you think your kids won't handle this well and might actually cause a disruption during the wedding, then I think you'll be doing everyone a favour to let the bride know that. She obviously must not understand that she's in for, so she may just breath a sigh of relief and happily excuse you from the whole thing when you explain it to her. (Hint: This is not the time to make your kids sound like the sweet little angels they are. ;))

:iagree:

Dear soon-to-be-SIL,

I was overjoyed (hyperbole) when you asked to have my dear sweet (sometimes) children in your parade....er, wedding. As you are young and unmarried I feel it is my duty to inform (in a bless your heart way) that you are insane. Do you understand the burden placed on the young, the elderly, and infirm by having your nuptials at such a late hour?

Apparently you have never seen small children at such a late hour (because they're usually in bed, asleep!!!!). While they are my angels and I adore them, they revolt after bedtime (look it up if you don't know the meaning. I have a nice history curriculum for sale...almost for sale), they become precocious and tired. While tired Grandpa may only slightly snore during the ceremony, person under the age of ten are not known for their patience or vocal restraint. Should you desire to record your ceremony and celebrate it for years to come...well I have thread here (searching WTM database for crying babies at convention thread) for a long discussion about the behavior of tired and crying children at a "professional" event. The best solution I might offer would be to give the ministry member officiating the ceremony a can of tennis balls. He could then lob them in the direction of the offending child or elderly person. :tongue_smilie: This might detract from the beauty of your ceremony.

As a long time member of this family, I feel it is my duty to relay what should be timely information for you. I know we will close in years to come, but please don't torture my children by forcing them to participate past their bedtime. Should you have made this information about the timing of your ceremony up front (bless your heart again) I would have politely declined. Nine p.m. might as well be three a.m. for children of this age (avoid saying through gritted teeth). I'm sure if a few years we'll be laughing over this as you stay up all night with your first newborn (insert polite, but catty laughter).

Sincerely, Aubrey

Who gets married at 9pm? Seriously? Vampires? Is there something you don't know about dh's family?

Thanks. Now I have to go change.

Into a vampire or a werewolf? :D

I vote Team Aubrey and tell the Cullen bride now that she is insane.

Maybe she set the time at such a late hour to ensure that there would be no kids at the wedding without having to explicitly say they weren't welcome? I still can't believe she didn't mention that important detail at the time she asked your kids to be in the wedding party!

Aubrey, I would honestly not care if this were my best friend and sister getting married. I would NOT take my kids to the wedding. They would NOT be in it. I would hir a sitter to stay at my house to watch m y children. Insane!

wow. I've never heard of a wedding that late. To each his own, I guess. There are so many variables as to what I would do if I had kids in such a late wedding. But rude or not, wedding party or not, I would do what was in the best interest of my family while trying to be as accomodating to the bride & groom as possible. If that meant I had to miss the reception, so be it.

If this is the case, I'd be on the phone with the bride ASAP to clarify. And, if your kids truly cannot do it that late, you need to tell her!!

:iagree: Bride may not have much experience with little children or she just didn't think it all the way through. The chances of an exhausted 2 and 3 yo melting down in the middle of her wedding are HUGE. The days leading up to the wedding are stressful and exciting and packed with activities for everyone involved. So this wouldn't even be a normal, well-rested, low-key staying up past bedtime. It would be insanity upon insanity staying up past bedtime. I'd bow out. Have you purchased their attire yet? Yikes!

Ok, you all are wonderful--EG--*brilliant*! Thanks for the laugh.

Now, who's going to volunteer to tell my dh that I'm not being unreasonable or crazy? Because I can't say no on my own. (Er...maybe I could, but, I'd rather not go there!)

Is the bride from a culture where kids stay up late? I know in Spain and Mexico we saw whole families up really late. (Spain was a struggle for me, as my brain shuts off about 8:00 and if you try to eat dinner before 9:00, assuming you can find a restaurant open, it will be echoing with emptiness.)

Now, with the cultural sensitivity out of the way ;), I agree that for my kids at that age (heck, for me, now) a formal event at 9:00 is a recipe for disaster.

We decided there are two issues:

1. OUR (& kids') inconvenience, sleep disruption, etc,

2. potential to disrupt wedding (not about US).

Dh talked to bil today. His response to the 9PM wedding time? "Come on, man! It's ONE NIGHT! The kids will be FINE." :glare:

But when dh pointed out that, whether or not they'd be fine, they could potentially be *very* disruptive to the wedding, he reconsidered & will be calling his fiancee. :glare:

I imagine they'll still be in the wedding because that's the way things go around here. I'm not *enough* against it to stop it all by myself (just mad that I wasn't told ahead of time!), & I seem to be the only one who thinks it's a bad idea at all. :confused:

THANK YOU for letting me vent & feel justified for a little bit. That goes a LONG way! ;)

*Somehow* mil ended up emailing bride instead of bil talking to her:

I just spoke with [dh]. He said they received their wedding invitation (which is beautiful by the way) and just realized the time of the wedding. Aubrey said, "uh, oh , 2yo and 3yo get kind of crazy after 8:00 p.m., we'd better check with [bride] so she knows." They don't want them to ruin the wedding if their wired up.

I told [dh] that you aren't worried about "how" they are going to act. We're hoping everyting goes well, but as little as they are the two of you understand that anything could happen. For example: 2yo could see [dh] sitting down after reading scripture and he may want to go up there and sit with him. Or [3yo] could see me sitting in the pew and want to come over where I am. So, bottom line is that [dh] and Aubrey are fine with both children being in the wedding....they are just giving you fair warning, anything could happen.... and then again, they may do just fine.

I told [dh] that the two of you would laugh and not be upset. That's the fun of it....right?

[dh] and 2yo with get their tuxes measured this week.

Sure...running to sit w/ someone is the *worst* that could happen...at a human-houred wedding.

And her summary of bride's response:

I think [bil] & [bride] want it to be a fun wedding.

As if her email actually asked the bride what she wanted *at all.* Methinks Granny wants to see grandkids in dressy clothes, at any time of day.

The truth? I don't mind A TON. (A little, though.) I just feel really...tricked, trapped, manipulated. I like feeling like I have a *choice* & that choice will be respected. I like feeling like IF someone is asking something huge & backing me into a corner about it, they at least know it's huge & respect/are grateful for the sacrifice.

None of the "likes" applies to this situation. So I might stick a pin in the littles' clothing to ensure the disruption of the wedding. Of course, nobody would say, gee, maybe we should have planned an earlier wedding. They'd just think I'm not a very good mother. :glare:

Anybody find a job for dh in another state yet? Gosh, wouldn't it be awful if we have to move before the wedding?

You have a facebook. This is what facebook is great for, passive information giving. You could just start posting random videos like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvSJgmanXQ

None of them are...well, ON FB & on my acct. And they don't get subtle. They'd think it was funny.

Besides, bride has it under control because she's not asking the kids to *stay* at the front. They just have to make it down the aisle. :smilielol5: (If your toddler *wasn't* in the wedding at all, would you take him/her--or worse: TWO of them--to a wedding this late? NO.)

What sucks about the whole thing is they are not considering how this is going to affect you. Are you going to have the two other kids as well? So you're the one that's going to be burdened with the meltdown should it come.

I think I would suddenly be sick on the wedding day, hand the recorder to dh, as he walks out the door at the break of night, tell him to make sure he takes good shots, and then go in the bathroom and get sick. YOu could put the thermometer on a heating pad and then pop in your mouth to feign a fever.

I know you're all nice and such, but I'd sure be making sure those kids spent good time bugging grandma at the wedding.

.....as I write all this I'm really very non confrontational. I discovered earlier this week my new neighbors laid their basketball goal at the back of our yard (we have an alley). I'm assuming it's theirs, it's not ours. Dh is out of town, I haven't even seen the neighbors for several days. I also have a tendency to make things sound more bi***y than I mean in real life. I don't want to have neighbor issues, we just moved to and I don't want to move again ever. Do I care about the basketball goal, no, but I'm not even sure they asked dh or not. Is it a big deal, probably not, but I don't want assumptions of how you can use my yard when it's not yours. ....

....I suppose that could relate to your issue. They are making assumptions about how to use your children without really getting your permission. Then you'll be the one to deal with the dead grass ....or the grumpy toddler.

Perhaps we need to have a monthly get together where we all take turns jumping up and down in frustration and simply scream "it's not fair", "You didn't ask", or "You simply don't have a clue do you."

Perhaps we need to have a monthly get together where we all take turns jumping up and down in frustration and simply scream "it's not fair", "You didn't ask", or "You simply don't have a clue do you."

I might make a bigger deal of it if dh had a problem w/ it or if any of you guys were REAL. ;):lol: But I'm not going to be the bad guy all by myself. Like dh said, he's only got one sib.

*However* I may see about going to the wedding slightly drunk. It doesn't show on me--I get highly analytical instead of silly. But very relaxed & unmiffed by people. Anything else I can think of for coping is illegal. :glare::lol:

Is a 9pm wedding a regional or religious choice, or is it just the time they preferred? I have never been to a wedding later than 7pm, but most of my experience is in the southeast.

If you don't mind the one night of crazy, it might turn out to be a good lesson for the bride and groom!! My oldest ds was in a wedding before he turned two and did great. If you consider barking like a dog great!!! He only barked a couple of times and then a bridesmaid held his hand. It was pretty funny.

Good luck and just be sure to laugh about anything that happens.

You know, if she doesn't have kids yet, she probably really doesn't know what is and is not reasonable at what age. I certainly didn't.

Having said that, I have never heard of trying to include a two year old, however mature, in a wedding party. My little brother was in a wedding when he was 3 1/2, and he was a sweet, self-controlled little cutie, but he barely made it through. It's pretty intimidating, standing up there facing all those strangers wearing scratchy clothes with slippery shoes on.

My DD was in a wedding when she had just turned 3, and it was pretty funny. She was another very compliant, quiet, controllable child, and this was in the afternoon, so optimum time. She was just beautiful. But she would NOT walk up the aisle in the rehearsal. Nope, would not. Finally I told the bride, a dear friend of the family, that I thought she would only do this if I sat close to the front, on the aisle, so that she could steer toward me (instead of away from all she knew and loved, LOL!). So a seat was carved out for me in the family area, not at all what our family deserved but whatever. We did the practice, it worked out just fine, I put her hair up, she wore a fancy dress she already had (familiar and, key point, NOT scratchy), and then the wedding occurred. Well.

Suddenly there were ALL THOSE PEOPLE in the chairs in between the back and where I was sitting. Making it difficult for her to see me. Someone convinced her that I was, indeed, up there in front, but the aisle curved slightly (it was an outdoor setting) and I was hard to see. I had to lean way out in the aisle and beckon furiously (not my style, I promise!), probably ruining several pictures AND the video. Finally she started up the aisle on the arm of the adorable older man (4 years old) who was the ringbearer. I turned back to the front decorously. Then I heard laughter. Then nothing. Then she finally went by me on up to the front and behaved charmingly the rest of the ceremony. I did not turn around for the laughter, but I heard the story later. Evidently the ringbearer had heard that she was going to drop flowers in the aisle. Since she was not doing so, he kept telling her to do it. Finally she stopped, dropped his arm, and yelled, "P-- (the bride) said I don't HAVE to if I don't WANT to!" This was heard by many, many people. Who laughed. Quite a bit. With that she picked up his arm and resumed her march up the aisle, flowers safely kept in the basket.

And these were, seriously, unusually quiet kids who could be absolutely relied upon to sit still in church for a whole hour and such. And they were not 2! They were 3!

A two year old in a wedding? I can't imagine!!!!!!!!!

<Boggle>

(Not even taking up the issue of the ridiculous start time.)

Edited by Carol in Cal.

None of them are...well, ON FB & on my acct. And they don't get subtle. They'd think it was funny.

Besides, bride has it under control because she's not asking the kids to *stay* at the front. They just have to make it down the aisle. :smilielol5: (If your toddler *wasn't* in the wedding at all, would you take him/her--or worse: TWO of them--to a wedding this late? NO.)

My younger two are still in bed by nine. I can't imagine trying to get littles to behave under those circumstances. I don't understand why someone would have a wedding at nine pm, that is crazy. The only wedding I have been to that late was a wiccan handfasting that was actually at midnight, but there weren't any kids there. If this was me? I would just say, "sorry, nine pm is too late to expect wedding behavior out of the kids. They are in bed by nine. They can't do it."

eta: But, this is easy for me to say, I'm the oldest child of two oldest children. The fallout wouldn't land on me, I'd make sure it landed where it belonged. If the fallout was going to land on me, I would probably cave. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Mrs Mungo

You know, if she doesn't have kids yet, she probably really doesn't know what is and is not reasonable at what age. I certainly didn't.

Having said that, I have never heard of trying to include a two year old, however mature, in a wedding party.

My sister's BIL got married last summer, and they had her 2 yo TWINS in the wedding. I thought that was quite... erm... "brave" of them considering that the boy is a wild man and the girl is such a princess, but I guess it worked out OK. Not my choice and I didn't have to go. :D

I get that it's your dh's only sib, Aub, and I'm sure you are going to end up having to do this crazy thing. I hope you are able to do the wedding and take the kids home. Let dh go to the reception. Bleah.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the "schedule" for the guys. It starts off, "First I want to say, no I'm not 'Bridezilla'...or maybe I am."

And then proceeds to tell the men in the wedding where they need to be & when for 2 days.

The ceremony is scheduled for only 30 min, but pics are scheduled for 30 min before AND 30 min after. :lol:

Dh isn't even in the wedding, but he *had* to have a tuxedo. And apparently a schedule, too.

3yo received an invitation to a luncheon "honoring" the bridesmaids & bride. I asked dh to call to decline, indicating that she doesn't drive yet. ;)

I just got the "schedule" for the guys. It starts off, "First I want to say, no I'm not 'Bridezilla'...or maybe I am."

And then proceeds to tell the men in the wedding where they need to be & when for 2 days.

The ceremony is scheduled for only 30 min, but pics are scheduled for 30 min before AND 30 min after. :lol:

Dh isn't even in the wedding, but he *had* to have a tuxedo. And apparently a schedule, too.

3yo received an invitation to a luncheon "honoring" the bridesmaids & bride. I asked dh to call to decline, indicating that she doesn't drive yet. ;)

:ack2:

I think couples these days are looking for ways to cut cost so leaving children out is a way to do that, especially if a lot of food is being served.

I think kids these days can be incredibly misbehaved, and people don't want to have to deal with unruly children at a wedding reception. It's easier to say "no children" than to say "not *your* children."

To the OP, I think it's probably fine for children in the wedding party to be at the reception. Talk directly to the bride, in a way where she feels comfortable saying no. Maybe something like,"I was about to schedule a baby-sitter for your reception, but so-and-so said my kids are probably invited to the reception, because they are in the wedding party. What would you prefer?"

I have to admit that I just can't understand *why* your *dh* would need a tuxedo... :blink:

Love the reason you gave for declining! ;)

So she's admitting to her obnoxious behavior. :D Have y'all had cameras following your around lately, surely you and your family are on a hidden camera show and all of this is just one big joke. :glare: