Menu

Netflix series recs?

I am a pain in the neck when it comes to suggestion things to watch, so forgive me before we even get started.

I need a series to watch when I ride my lifecycle after the kdis are in bed. Riding my stationary bike is odious, but having a 42 minute episode makes it bearable. Barely.

I don't like much television, but I haven't seen much either.

Here's what I've liked over the past few years:

West Wing

Grey's Anatomy

Battlestar Gallactica

24 (so violent, but fantastical and not overly misogynistic)

Alias (weirdly)

Madmen

Jericho

Kings

Deadwood

House (until I didn't. after a few seasons the formula really grated)

I also love mini-series like Pillars of the Earth

Here's what I've tried but not liked:

Stargate (so not even close to BG, canned characters)

Bones (I saw five episodes, until missing child one. enough.)(plus, enough about her missing parents as the underlying motivation)

Sixfeet Under (liked it for a while then coudn't care about the characters)

Cops shows what feature women in peril, sex crimes and the like

Dr. Who (I liked it well enough but a little slow paced for working out)

Heroes (I tried it based on a suggestion here but it got too weird and convoluted)

In general I like high-energy dramas, and dystopias and utopias and really great stories that stay true to the narrative's internal logic.

Any suggestions? Please? I can't just listen to music or a book on tape. I need to unhinge my mind to get through the workout...

Thank you!

Edited by yellowperch

we are currently watching "persons unknown". there is only one season so far, but it is really good!! we also like the BBC series "survivors". it got canceled after season 1, but we really enjoyed it just the same. anyway, those recommendations go nicely with your list of things you've liked.

Have you checked out Private Practice?

Its a spinoff from Grey's Anatomy... with Addison Montgomery ...

I havn't yet watched but have in my list to check out :

Scrubs

I also enjoyed an OLD series called Emergency! ...

its about the very first paramedics back in the 70s

Personally I found the first season of Bones a mixed bag of overdone and good ... but I have enjoyed the later seasons more (current eps are available on the Fox website ;))

In case you didn't know current eps of Grey's Anatomy & Private Practice are available on the ABC website, as are all eps from a show called Boston Med. Also there is a newer show called Off The Map (about docs in a jungle setting at a clinic) which I enjoy.

HTH,

Your likes/dislikes seem to be very similar to mine.

Here are shows that my husband and I have enjoyed:

Fringe

The 4400

Friday Night Lights

Army Wives

Lie To Me

Lost

And I TOTALLY know what you mean about having to watch a TV show while using an exercise machine. If I don't have something to watch, I literally cannot make it through my exercise time LOL.

Thank you! There are quite a few things that look good here.

Looks like firefly just has one season. Does it have a satisfying ending?

Is Red Dwarf fast-paced?

What about North and South? Does it move?

4400 looks good, but on disc, adding it to the queue

I looooooved emergency as a kid. I have to look that one up for old times sake.

I take it the BBC survivor has nothing to do with the reality show?

Again, thanks!

Edited by yellowperch

I take it the BBC survivor has nothing to do with the reality show?

no. it's a sci-fi show; it's called "survivors". it's about a flu that wiped out planet earth & the story is about the survivors that didn't die. it's pretty good. "persons unknown" is also sci-fi. it is about 7 strangers that are abducted and they wake up in an empty town they can't escape from. we just started watching it last week & we'll finish the series tonight. there are 13 episodes. season 2 isn't out yet...it's really good though.

ETA - i would watch "persons unknow" first. it's the better of the 2 imho. if you liked "lost", you will like this.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

Firefly was canceled (wrongly!) Partway into the season, so they had a few episodes to wrap it up. Doesn't end on a cliffhanger or anything, but you will probably wish there were more seasons. There was a pretty good movie that came out afterwards a couple years later called Serenity,

Looks like firefly just has one season. Does it have a satisfying ending?

Fireflu is just one season. It was cancelled and they didn't really have chance to wrap up all the loose ends and explain everything so they made a movie that was kind of the final episode. It give a satisfying conclusion. It is a good show but frustratingly short.

What about North and South? Does it move?

I enjoyed it but I enjoy watching period pieces. Recently (and I forgot to mention it) I watched Daniel Deronda that I also really enjoyed. I think it was only 4 episodes but I watched them all in a single day because they always ended on a cliff hanger and I couldn't stand waiting to see what happened next. :lol:

What I currently watch when I work out on my elliptical is NCIS - I get the disks in the mail as it is not instant streaming. Then when I don't have a disk available I watched...

Lie to Me

Psych

Legend of the Seeker (have only watched on epi though)

I have read all the Bones books and liked them - I only watched the first epi though and didn't like it...so might give it another go based on a PP.

Heroes....I was addicted to it until Season 3 - then it just got weird like you said!

I'll be watching this thread with interest as I need another "back-up" for my workouts.

Oh....and I also watched Highlander....not sure why, but I loved that show :D Season 1 is hard to get through but S2-5 are pretty good....6 got cheesy.

Firefly

Friday Night Lights (awesome show). It is a lot about teen angst and adult lives, but also the way they affect the family as a whole. Its story lines have remained pretty true to life (except one that I can think of) and the characters are real people.

Drop Dead Diva (season one is on Netflix) Similar to Ugly Betty in style. Pretty clean...pg13

Stargate Universe (SGU) pg-13. (There are a few sex scenes but they are brief and not in every episode--you need to try the first 3 episodes). I like the different characters and the paths the characters take in this one better than the origional Stargate series. It is Nothing like the first Stargate. It isn't about the places the go, as much about the characters who are thrust into a difficult situation. The only thing that gets annoying to me are all the 'last minute saves'. It reminds me of how so many cop shows, run the action all the way to the end, and then the bad guy just confesses the crime. It is a cheap way to get out the wrinting of solving a crime....but I digress...LOL.

no. it's a sci-fi show; it's called "survivors". it's about a flu that wiped out planet earth & the story is about the survivors that didn't die. it's pretty good. "persons unknown" is also sci-fi. it is about 7 strangers that are abducted and they wake up in an empty town they can't escape from. we just started watching it last week & we'll finish the series tonight. there are 13 episodes. season 2 isn't out yet...it's really good though.

ETA - i would watch "persons unknow" first. it's the better of the 2 imho. if you liked "lost", you will like this.

I just looked up Persons Unknown online and it looks like there's only one season and a second season is doubtful. Does season 1 wrap it up well? Or will it be one of those like Jericho that was really good but didn't wrap up very well?

What I currently watch when I work out on my elliptical is NCIS - I get the disks in the mail as it is not instant streaming. Then when I don't have a disk available I watched...

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I love NCIS and NCIS LA. It took me awhile to get used to LA, but by now I like it almost as well....um, maybe more.

Another good cop show is Flashpoint. Hostage rescue situations.

Other than those 2, I don't watch much TV.

I'm back to give a glowing review. I've started Survivors, the BBC mini series about a group of people living after a virus wipes out 90 percent ot the population. It sounds grim, and it is. But it is positively gripping. It's my incentive to get me through "rides" on my stationary bike, and this week I have been quite dedicated to my workouts. It's a little like Jericho but without all that awesome Mission furniture and the beautiful people actors (in true British style the supposed beauty of the group is of dubious moral character). It is violent, as you would imagine, but I manage to stomach it, possibly because it is not gratuitous. I can't wait for the kids to sleep tonight so I can hop on my bike for the next episode.

My list looks pretty similar to yours, but I ended up liking Bones. Netflix scored the first season lower than the rest for me, so I stuck with it longer than I would have otherwise. I ended up liking it.

I wanted to second Leverage and Lie to Me and also mention Castle. Dh and I like to stay up and watch this one together.

I just looked up Persons Unknown online and it looks like there's only one season and a second season is doubtful. Does season 1 wrap it up well? Or will it be one of those like Jericho that was really good but didn't wrap up very well?

yes, after we finished the series i looked up season 2 & saw that it was kaput. i was so bummed, i actually emailed NBC about it, lol. ugh. i hate that! season 1 does give you insight as to what the future holds...BUT the last epsiode was the best! it felt like the show was just really taking off! i was so bummed. having said that though, it was still worth my time. i enjoyed it a lot.

I'm back to give a glowing review. I've started Survivors, the BBC mini series about a group of people living after a virus wipes out 90 percent ot the population. It sounds grim, and it is. But it is positively gripping. It's my incentive to get me through "rides" on my stationary bike, and this week I have been quite dedicated to my workouts. It's a little like Jericho but without all that awesome Mission furniture and the beautiful people actors (in true British style the supposed beauty of the group is of dubious moral character). It is violent, as you would imagine, but I manage to stomach it, possibly because it is not gratuitous. I can't wait for the kids to sleep tonight so I can hop on my bike for the next episode.

you will like "persons unknown" too then. we liked survivors a lot as well, and it wraps up well enough to have an ending.:)

Here are some of my favorites that we have watched through Netflix:

Pushing Daisies (really cute, sweet, and smart)

Downton Abbey (awesome mini series by Masterpiece Classics)

Just finished watching season 4 of Madmen...one of my all time favorites.

HTH,

Elise in NC

I'm watching old ER episodes while I treadmill.

I've also watched:

Grey's Anatomy

Private Practice

Samantha Who (SW is hilarious)

Inspector Lynley Mysteries

Inspector Lewis

Foyle's War

Murder She Wrote

Edited by nestof3

I love Greys Anatomy, Private Practice and recently got hooked on Brothers and Sisters.

Firefly is good, but they had to wrap it up so fast, Serenity (the movie) helps a bit with the wrap up.

Other Series I've liked were

Friday Night Lights (bummed that just wrapped up forever)

One Tree Hill

Gilmore Girls (I didn't like that this one just kind of ends with lots of loose ends)

Smallville (although I liked the first 4-5 seasons better than the later ones)

NCIS

ER

Las Vegas

Army Wives

The Closer

All of the CSI shows

Make it or Break it

Oh dear, Rachel: These are not family recommendations! These are suggestions for series or a mom to watch while working out long after her children ar in bed.

I agree. I like Little House as well (we own them all), and also Waltons and Dr. Quinn.

But, my suggestions are for adults (many of them I don't even watch with dh).

Ok, I'm seriously surprised no one has mentioned Supernatural! http://www.cwtv.com/shows/supernatural LOVE Supernatural. It's funny, scary, silly, creepy, sometimes inappropriate, totally unbiblical, and just plain scary fun. :lol: Love Sam & Dean Winchester! :D

Or The X-Files!

Or The Office!

Or Parks & Recreation!

Or Doc Martin! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408381/ (BBC...very quirky)

Or Sherlock! http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t4pgh (Only one season so far, but it was really good!)

:D