Menu

would you give an almost stranger your child's SS # because they babysat for them?

My dd has been babysitting for a sweet family that we only know through an acquaintance, and they would like to pay her from their Flex Spending Account. They need her social for that. My dh is really uncomfortable doing it, but doesn't know if he should be.

pros/cons?

I wouldn't want to do it. It would make me uncomfortable. The other issue would be depending upon how much she makes it would be looked upon as taxable income.

I have no experience in this type of matter, but I wouldn't feel comfortable giving it out.

My dd has been babysitting for a sweet family that we only know through an acquaintance, and they would like to pay her from their Flex Spending Account. They need her social for that. My dh is really uncomfortable doing it, but doesn't know if he should be.

pros/cons?

I would. They've no doubt set aside money in their account that they can use for childcare, but can't use it unless they can verify who it went to. It's standard to use SSN's, and I wouldn't have a problem giving it to them.

Is she babysitting for them while the parents work? Is it for a lot of hours?

If they want to claim the money they pay her as a tax deduction, they will need her SS#. And if she's working that much, she should be declaring it as income anyway.

Otherwise, I wouldn't give it out.

There are tax advantages that they will lose without the social security number. However, you should be aware that they will have to report their babysitters' names, addresses and ssns on their federal tax return, and the IRS will match it to your dd's tax return. So your dd will have to plan to report the income. Even if her income is low enough that she pays no income tax, she will be subject to self-employment tax if she earns more than $400. To calculate the s/e tax, take the amount she earns x 92.35% x 15.3%. If your dd incurs any expenses related to babysitting, she will be able to deduct them.

My understanding is that legally, those flex spending accounts are supposed to be only used for childcare while they are working. You may want to look it up on the IRS.gov website though.

I just looked it up in my plan. It reads "...your opportunity to elect to receive income tax-free reimbursement for some or all of your work-related dependent care expenses..."

I just assumed (wrongly) that if they asked for the babysitter's SSN, at least one of them was working while she was babysitting. You might check the instructions to Form 2441, which is the form used to calculate the child care tax credit. I'm almost positive that child care expenses reimbursed under a cafeteria plan or FSA cannot exceed the parameters of the expenses eligible for the child care credit.

ETA: If my dd were babysitting for someone while they were working, I would not have a problem giving them her SSN. Risky or not, it's standard practice, and the income is technically taxable income to my dd regardless of her age and whether she reports it or not.

Not without discussing it in more detail and perhaps forming a contract. I am very hesitant over who gets SSN numbers. There is also not only issue of your dd having taxable income but also of the other family crossing the line to being considered as her employer (which would require their getting an employer id number, paying the employer share of workman's comp and SSA contributions and perhaps doing SSA withholdings for the employee contribution). It can get murky very quickly.

I would be concerned about a situation where someone wanted to take advantage of using a certain type of account but wasn't willing to take on all the responsibility of the employer/employee relationship. It's not something I would say yes to right away.

I'm not sure of details, but could she apply for a TIN (tax identification number) that they could use? (I know that's what I used to report my daughter's daycare for tax credit.)

According to this information, it's for individuals who aren't eligible for SSN's. It doesn't address whether individuals with a SSN can use them. Might be looking into - it would be mutually beneficial for them to pay her out of their pre-tax money!

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96287,00.html#what

Guest Shanna

They legally cannot pay her from their flex spending unless she is babysitting while they are working. I would not give it out.

Is she babysitting for them while the parents work? Is it for a lot of hours?

If they want to claim the money they pay her as a tax deduction, they will need her SS#. And if she's working that much, she should be declaring it as income anyway.

Otherwise, I wouldn't give it out.

:iagree:

pros/cons?

Absolutely not. Nope. Nada. Never.