Menu

My crystal deodorant nightmare~ (a little TMI)

What a title...I finally bought one of those Himalayan crystal salt deodorant bars. I've been curious about them for years. Well, this morning, right after showering, I wet the bar and rubbed it on...apparently a little too vigorously. :crying: I was thinking *loofah sponge technique* instead of crystal salt bar. Within 30 seconds, my freshly-shaven underarms started to sting. Not just any little sting, mind you, it was the kind of stinging pain that makes you yell and suck in your breath to keep from fainting. :eek: :svengo: I was racing to the bathroom to get a cool washcloth :willy_nilly: and it was like torture just touching it...oh my gosh. I am still being tormented by the stinging memory of the experience tonight. I think my curiosity has been satisfied! So, just a warning, if you use one of these, please oh please, be gentle with it's application! :nopity:

You poor thing! I tried that for a while but I didn't have what happened to you - instead over time I developed a sensitivity to you and ended up EXTREMELY itchy for about a week until it got out of my system. It was HORRIBLE!!!! I hate that stuff!

I have a natural kind that I use now, which I absolutely love. If you're interested in a different brand, let me know!

Don't go back to the bad stuff! I've tried MANY natural products and landed on this one. This stuff is so great and you don't smell bad AT ALL. Many of the natural products wear off after a short period - this stuff is fabulous, and I'm smell-sensitive! I forget where I bought mine, but I got free shipping and it was less than $3/bottle. Do a quick search. I love the smell too.

Alvera All Natural Roll-On Deodorant Aloe & Almonds

Guest RecumbentHeart
Don't go back to the bad stuff! I've tried MANY natural products and landed on this one. This stuff is so great and you don't smell bad AT ALL. Many of the natural products wear off after a short period - this stuff is fabulous, and I'm smell-sensitive! I forget where I bought mine, but I got free shipping and it was less than $3/bottle. Do a quick search. I love the smell too.

Alvera All Natural Roll-On Deodorant Aloe & Almonds

Thank-you! I will be trying this out.

I use Arm&Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant. It is aluminum-free. I have tried Tom's of Maine and Trader Joe's, as well as a plethora of from-the-healthfood-store brands. All of the really granola-natural deodorants made the skin under my arms peel. Tom's of Maine doesn't work for me. TJ's is ok, and is what my husband uses, but I am most satisfied with A&H.

I tried a deodorant stone when I was in college. Let's just say ... epic fail.

Take my words with a grain of salt though, as I was informed in another thread that I most likely stink (and don't even know it) because I don't shower every day. ;)

Tara

What a title...I finally bought one of those Himalayan crystal salt deodorant bars. I've been curious about them for years. Well, this morning, right after showering, I wet the bar and rubbed it on...apparently a little too vigorously. :crying: I was thinking *loofah sponge technique* instead of crystal salt bar. Within 30 seconds, my freshly-shaven underarms started to sting. Not just any little sting, mind you, it was the kind of stinging pain that makes you yell and suck in your breath to keep from fainting. :eek: :svengo: I was racing to the bathroom to get a cool washcloth :willy_nilly: and it was like torture just touching it...oh my gosh. I am still being tormented by the stinging memory of the experience tonight. I think my curiosity has been satisfied! So, just a warning, if you use one of these, please oh please, be gentle with it's application! :nopity:

ow ow ow ow!!! :ohmy: I find even ordinary deodorant can sting a little after shaving so I can't imagine the pain!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I use the Crystal & have for years with no problems.

However, my dh started using it for a couple weeks & got this horrible, blistery-looking rash from it & said it burned. It got worse every time he used the crystal. Poor guy. I suppose some people must be sensitive or allergic to it! :grouphug: Oh, and I didn't even think about the shaving/salt issue. Owwwwwwwww!! I put mine on when I brush my teeth in the a.m., & I shower in the evenings, so I've never encountered that.

Edited by LittleIzumi

I make my own deodorant (coconut oil, baking soda, cornstarch). I've NEVER had problems with burning and sensitivity. :001_smile:

Thanks for reminding me about this, too. I have a jar of coconut oil I use for my no-poo'd hair, and I forgot I could use it for el pits also.

Oh, I am so sorry.... I assume your using this because of the aluminum?? I never found anything I liked, except this brand Target used to carry called Soap & Glory. Their deodorant was called One Pit Wonder :lol: Anyway, I LOVE it, it's clear, goes on soft, but they quit carrying it L( I've had it for awhile though, so when I need more I'll look online. When I am really raw after shaving though I use Secret (yes, I know aluminum). They have a formula that is supposed to be "less irritating", kind of like their "shave less often".

I apply my (all natural, aluminum free) Alvera right after shaving/showering and have NEVER had any sensitivity or pain.

I looked for this one today because it sounded so good, but it contains "Alcloxa", which is an aluminum salt. I don't know if it's the same as aluminum in regular anti-perspirants, but it was enough that I didn't want to try it.