Menu

s/o "girlie" thread. If your haircolor comes from a box, what's the name on the box?

I'm thinking of coloring my hair for the first time ever, (not counting the highlights I got *once* back in 2002 for my wedding) but I don't want to shell out the $$ doing it at a salon.

So what drugstore brands work well? I have medium hair. Not thick, but not baby-fine either, and I have medium brown hair with some natural yellow highlights on the top which I really don't like because they make my skin look yellow too. I want rich, dark brown hair with just a touch of auburn.

Nice and Easy has a lovely shade of reddish-brown that sound just like what you want. I'd stay away from Feria at first. I've been coloring my hair for years now and only had a bad experience with Feria. My hair was both purple and orange at the same time. I was going for red:glare:. Excellence and Garnier Nutrisse are pretty good too. Now, if you just want to try out a color, I'd start out with one that washes out after 28 or so washes. I think Natural Instincts is a semi-permanent color.

I've tried the expensive boxes and I still keep going back to Clairol. I get nice highlights and my hair feels soft and healthy. I've used practically every color but blonde. Hey, I like change. :) I only use the neutrals because my hair naturally pulls red highlights. I've been using Light or Medium Natural Brown. You could try Medium Auburn, but you might be surprised at how red it is. Also, remember the color progressively darkens, so do the root method at least every other time or your ends will get really dark.

Edited by Mejane

I've tried the expensive boxes and I still keep going back to Clairol. I get nice highlights and my hair feels soft and healthy. I've used practically every color but blonde. Hey, I like change. :) I only use the neutrals because my hair naturally pulls red highlights. I've been using Light or Medium Natural Brown. You could try Medium Auburn, but you might be surprised at how red it is. Also, remember the color progressively darkens, so do the root method at least every other time or your ends will get really dark.

I've never colored my hair before, so you'll have to explain what the "root method" is. :lol:

I've never colored my hair before, so you'll have to explain what the "root method" is. :lol:

She means just putting the color on the new growth at the root, every other time, so you don't overdye the ends.

I like L'Oreal, the two step kind where you color, then add what my kids call "stripes." :D I actually gave up coloring about 2.5 years ago, so I'm all natural now. I found the color I used really looked much more natural than a one color overall did. Also, be careful with reds--they fade, and look dull very quickly, imo. And, use the little tube of conditioner that comes with the color--you use some of it the first time, then every few days.

Medium reddish brown, I think (I recognize it by the girl on the box.)

It's Excellence Creme, and I love it. It's very thick, so it stays on your hair and doesn't run while you wait. I've used it for years and years. People compliment me on my hair color, not realizing it is colored. My own hair is brown and (mostly) grey, but it was red when I was a kid, and I have the coloring for it.

I am a bit tempted by the new foams, though.

I like Garnier Herbishine. It is semi-permanent and eventually washes out, which I like much better than having different colored roots (which is what happens when you have permanent color).

My biggest advice is to test with a strip first. With my hair I need to buy quite a bit lighter than what I want. I have medium to dark brown hair and need to buy dark blond to maintain the medium-dark brown color. If I buy even light brown, it turns my hair black!

I use a cap and do highlights, but my girls use a henna product called Syrya Henna Cream. You can get it for $7-$10 on prime. It's a semi-permanent but seemed to last a while. They have a bugandy color that's to die for. It's all natural.

We stay away from dyes that contain Paraphenylenediamine or PPD because one of my kids had a severe reaction to some fake black tatoos on her leg. The skin blistered and scarred in the outline of the tatoo. When we went searching for the cause (at first I thought it might be poisoned) I found out it was the PPD causing a severe contact dermatitis. It turns out that it's in most brown and black permanent and semi-perm hair dyes, including fake hennas, and can cause facial hives, choking and renal failure in sensitive individuals. It's also a known carcinogen and has been banned in some European countries.

Barb

I always use the Clairol Natural Instincts with my kids because it is supposed to wash out in 28 shampoos but actually takes about three months. Also is very slowly fades back to your orignal color which I think is good. It is an excellent place to start if you have never colored before. If you are trying to go to a lighter color, I recommend the brass-free formulas. If you know you want a permanent colors I like the creme excellence (what-ever brand that is) and beware that if you have any tendecy towards red highlights you are going to end up with reddish tones in your hair no matter waht color you pick. Finally, trying to add highlights to darker hair is best left to professionals.

I use L'Oreal Excellence in Medium Brown...its close to my natural color w/out red or gold tones. I had been using L'Oreal Superior Preference in the same shade, but was starting to get too much gold/brassiness. ;)

I color to cover white (not grey) hair. ;)

Nice and Easy has a lovely shade of reddish-brown that sound just like what you want. I'd stay away from Feria at first. I've been coloring my hair for years now and only had a bad experience with Feria. My hair was both purple and orange at the same time. I was going for red:glare:. Excellence and Garnier Nutrisse are pretty good too. Now, if you just want to try out a color, I'd start out with one that washes out after 28 or so washes. I think Natural Instincts is a semi-permanent color.

You and I had the same exp. with Feria. Purple and orange blotches. Was hideous. I had to get it professionally dyed black to fix it. Eek!! Now I use the semi-permanent and play. Currently, I'm sporting Toffee Taffy. Is a little darker than I'm used to, but I still like it.

This is what I use as well. Love it.

I got 12 boxes for $2 each about 1.5 years ago. I am almost out, have one box left and then I will have to go back to full price.....still way cheaper than the salon.

Dawn

She means just putting the color on the new growth at the root, every other time, so you don't overdye the ends.

I like L'Oreal, the two step kind where you color, then add what my kids call "stripes." :D I actually gave up coloring about 2.5 years ago, so I'm all natural now. I found the color I used really looked much more natural than a one color overall did. Also, be careful with reds--they fade, and look dull very quickly, imo. And, use the little tube of conditioner that comes with the color--you use some of it the first time, then every few days.

I love Revlon Colorsilk. I have sensitive skin and have reactions to many things, but this has never bothered me. It has no ammonia and Revlon has a "no animal testing" policy. My hair feels soft and looks natural. I found that, on me, the color tended to look a little darker and more reddish than the box photo, so I chose a shade lighter than my usu. light brown -- "dark ash blonde."

Natural Instincts: Hazelnut

I have med. brown hair with natural blond highlights, now getting silver highlights. This color seems to look the most natural. The warmer tones bring out two much brassiness, and make my hair look orange. This one is just right.

Edited by SweetBean

I've only colored my hair on my own twice...just recently discovered grays and I can't afford the salon treatments every 2 months. I used Garnier Nutrisse both times. #42 (deep burgundy/black cherry, which wasn't as fun as it sounded.

If I do it myself, I go to Sally Beauty Supply, & buy developer & Wella color.

That is what I use - I have dark brown hair and use Wella Color Charm #511 for light brown hair. Go figure their light brown color is really dark brown with a little red in it.

BTW, I have two brand new boxes of Garnier Nutrisse in shade #40 that I know I'm not going to use. I started a thread on it to give them away and nobody wanted them. If anyone wants them let me know. I'd like to see them go to someone who can use them. I don't know what else to do with them. lol

OOOH awesome! Pics Pics! :D What brand do you use?? Is it long lasting? I've heard that some of the wilder colors are really poor if you DIY as in they don't last long.

Punky color is the brand. I've had better results with this brand than Manic Panic. My natural hair color is dark brown/black and with Manic Panic it simply looks darker - not purple. It doesn't last overly long, maybe two weeks in lessening degrees. It washes out a bit each wash and I don't bleach first (bleaching strips the follicle). It will last much longer if you bleach first. You have to wear gloves, jelly your neck and forehead, protect the area where you will be dyeing. Don't wear gloves and you'll have smucker's grape jelly hands for days.

I'm OK with the wash out as if I have to go into the office (I have a corporate job but work remotely), I can wash, wash, wash and you'll only notice it's purple if the light catches it a certain way. I don't dye it this color all the time but every now and then I give myself permission to act younger than my age (people 40 and over living in 'respectable' suburbs should not dye their hair purple).

Punky color is the brand. I've had better results with this brand than Manic Panic. My natural hair color is dark brown/black and with Manic Panic it simply looks darker - not purple. It doesn't last overly long, maybe two weeks in lessening degrees. It washes out a bit each wash and I don't bleach first (bleaching strips the follicle). It will last much longer if you bleach first. You have to wear gloves, jelly your neck and forehead, protect the area where you will be dyeing. Don't wear gloves and you'll have smucker's grape jelly hands for days.

I'm OK with the wash out as if I have to go into the office (I have a corporate job but work remotely), I can wash, wash, wash and you'll only notice it's purple if the light catches it a certain way. I don't dye it this color all the time but every now and then I give myself permission to act younger than my age (people 40 and over living in 'respectable' suburbs should not dye their hair purple).

hehehehehe Awesome! :) Love the "smucker's grape jelly hands" :lol: I can totally picture that. hehe I would love to dye my hair a punky kind of color. I'll turn 40 this September so I feel like my time is running out to do something wild. Fortunately my face doesn't really show my age. I don't have any wrinkles or anything yet, but I wonder what my dh's reaction would be. :lol: He's almost 50. I'm sure my dd would be embarrassed to be seen with me, but if I didn't do it now then when, kwim?? :D