Menu

Flower Gardeners: what is your favorite rose?

I had a wonderful rose garden at my former home. I've added a few roses at our current home and this year I want to really devote to building another rose garden. My absolute favorite rose is Constance Spry, even though it only blooms once it's gorgeous so I'll be adding that and Mr. Lincoln which is a velvety red. What is your favorite rose? Any suggestions? I usually plant lavender underneath, any other ideas?

I'm not really very good at knowing any kinds or types by name...

I don't like the small parade roses... on the littler bushes... we have some pink and whites from long ago. I just don't find them pretty at all... they are little and look "busy".

We have Joseph's Coat roses in the back that change colors a few times (each bloom!). Those are neat!

My favorite roses are the ones that have less thorns... just so long as they are pretty roses!

I have pretty red, white and peach ones... and my rose-colored (pink) ones are the "curly" roses (although I like the color, I don't find them as pretty as the traditional ones.

Did someone say roses?

I love roses, but I've become a rose snob. I want antiques, not those prissy hybrids. ;)

I have dozens on the place, but my favorites are Cramois Superieur (pardon my French spelling). Red and fragrant. A tad prone to mildew so it needs good air circulation.

Duchess de Brabant, a tea. Soft, droopy pink flowers.

Ducher, soft white with a touch of yellow. Light citrus scent. Not many thorns.

Martha Gonzales, a small tough bush, with open form dark red blooms. Needs hardly any work at all.

Old blush...kinda wild, bright pink. Tough, easy to grow. Even blooms in the middle of our Texas heat.

If you have lots of room, a Mutabilis is fantastic. But she gets huge. Mine is about eight feet wide and probably that tall. The blooms are four petaled, and open a pretty yellow...then over the next few days turn to coral. When you have a bunch on the plant, it looks like butterflies clustering around.

I have more if you want more, but these are the best of the best.

Check out Antique Rose Emporium for more info. Or/And the antique rose forum at gardenweb.com

Zepherine Drouhin - gorgeous climber that is nearly thornless. I love that the blooms start to fade from deep to lighter pink.

First Lady is a gorgeous rose, too.

Warning - Sarah Van Fleet - gorgeous but deadly. The thorns on this one are the fiercest I've ever encountered.

Oh, I have bought so many roses over the years! I've got a tough climate and a tough yard and most of them have died. So, I guess my favorites are the ones that have survived:

Day Breaker -- an unfussy bloom machine with glossy, healthy leaves and a nice, light scent

Pink Gruss an Aachen (also known as Irene Watts) -- nearly thornless, graceful shape and lovely pink blooms. I only wish it lasted longer in the vase. Gruss an Aachen (the original) is equally lovely, but more thorns.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.2228.1

Tournament of Roses -- tough as nails and blooms when other roses have given up

In pots and waiting to see how they do: Royal Sunset climber (wonderful scent!), Heritage (thornless Austin) and some unknown rose whose nametag is lost :tongue_smilie:

Of the roses that didn't make it, these are the ones I really miss:

Well-Being (gorgeous! and the scent! I tried this one twice I loved it so...)

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.39755.2

Angel's Camp Tea -- small but wonderful blooms and a graceful plant

Tamora -- a tough Austin with wicked thorns but a lovely flower.

Double Delight -- fabulous scent

Halloween -- another good smeller :001_smile:

Barcelona (aka Francis Dubreui) -- gorgeous deep red blooms and fragrant!

http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.524

Louis Phillippe (similar to Cramoisi Superieur) -- it just bloomed and bloomed. It died from trauma and I think it would have done fine otherwise. Not good for cutting, but a nice landscape rose for a harsh climate.

Numerous teas and Austins -- I think they're wonderful, but they just croak in my yard. I would LOVE to grow Pat Austin.

I would be embarrassed to tell you how many others I have tried, but suffice it to say, I don't give up easily :lol:

I wish you better rose luck!

We inherited some rose bushes when we bought this house. My husband lovingly tends them. Not that he/we necessarily know what we are doing, but they have survived.

All time favorite is the Peace rose. It looks like it will be pink when it buds, but it is actually yellow with pink edges. It pales as it blooms. Some of the blooms are the size of grapefruit!

I have to pick one?

Zephrinie Drouhin

Amazing, amazing rose, and the smell! Just gorgeous. And I had (this was in my old house) Jackmani (purple) clematis climbing up with it.

Now I have New Dawn, and I have my old Evelyn rose I took up and have my mother babysitting. But I'm going to get more.

Rosa Rugosa's for lining the walkway. I love their big red hips and they can withstand anything.

Westerland (Kordes)

Maigold (Kordes)

Christopher Marlowe (David Austin)

Winter Sunset (Buck)

I underplant with catmint and daylilies pretty often because both will grow almost anywhere, spread like crazy and I can divide every few years they just get better. There are so many daylily varieties that you can always find a color that will contrast or blend well with whatever rose color you are growing. I am drooling over South Seas this year, I'm definitely ordering a few.

Edited by drexel

It's been a long time since I had a garden where I could grow anything but vegetables, but I loved growing Austins and old garden roses. Sharifa Asma was the first Austin I ever planted and I'll always love it. Like some others here, I'm not a fan of most of the hybrids. I prefer the older flower forms and I definitely think you should be able to smell something when you stick your nose in a rose. Too many modern roses forget that.

There are some rosebushes at the house we're renting now. I'm looking forward to seeing what they look like.

I love roses. We planted several that we just bought from Wallyworld and they have survived -yay! I try to only get the ones that have a fragrance - I think roses should smell like roses, daggummit!

The only name I remember is Mr. Lincoln - really beautiful, fragrant, deep red roses. The others I have go from pale yellow to deep peach and they seem to last a long time. I'd love to plant climbing roses this summer.

We used to grow hybrid tea roses. We had several like Mr. Lincoln, Double Delight, Queen Elizabeth (climber), etc. However, we found them to be too labor intensive and decided to switch to antique roses. My absolute favorite is New Dawn. It is light pink with a beautiful scent and the blooms are suitable for cutting. They are especially pretty before the bloom opens, IMO anyway :).

Antique roses are low maintenance and tend to be a little more tolerant of drought and cold than the hybrid teas. I get mine through Antique Rose Emporium. They have a catalog and I'm assuming a website.

:lurk5: Listening and learning!

My mom has Mr. Lincoln, it's a beauty!

We used to have Mr. Lincolns encircling our patio at our last house. The smelled amazing for a hybrid tea!

Another favorite of mine is Climbing Dawn. We have two that go over an arbor in our backyard. Absolutely breathtaking in June!

Elle. Not only do I love the name, but it is a beautiful yellow/pink rose. Love it.

Nancy Reagan. Beautiful apricot rose that is an awesome bloomer.

I also have New Century (pink and white), Mr. Lincoln and something else that's white in my rose garden. Haven't found a yellow one that I like yet.

I haven't grown a lot of roses, but read up on some and planted this rose a few years after we moved into this house. I absolutely *love* this rose (it's my avatar). It's called Alchymist. One of the things I love best about it is that the blooms change in appearance and somewhat in color from the bud til it's fully blossomed - and it has a wonderful, light fragrance.

One needs to pick roses that do well in ones own climate, but some of the roses I love?:

Souvenir de la Malmaison (Bourbon shrub)

Gloire de Dijon (Tea Nosette climber)

Sombreuil (climber)

Awakening (climber)

Marichael Niel (Tea Noisette climber)

Madame Alfred Carrièr (Tea Noisette Climber)

Reve d'Or (Tea Noisette climber)

Comtesse de Rocquigny (Hybrid Noisette/Bourbon)

Madame Alfred de Rougemont (Hybrid Noisette/Bourbon)

Mademoiselle de Sombreuil (Tea/Bourbon)

Louisiana Arcadia Tea (found Tea)

Alba Maxima (Alba)

Felicity Parmentier (Alba)

Oshun (modern Paul Barden from Abe Darby x Abe Darby cross)

Plus a number of very early (and/or "found") Hybrid Teas such as La France, Lady Mary Fitzwilliam, Souvenir du Président Carnot, Captain Christy, September Morn, Madame Caroline Testout, Hoag House Cream, Snowbird, and Viscountess Folkstone.

Bill

I haven't grown a lot of roses, but read up on some and planted this rose a few years after we moved into this house. I absolutely *love* this rose (it's my avatar). It's called Alchymist. One of the things I love best about it is that the blooms change in appearance and somewhat in color from the bud til it's fully blossomed - and it has a wonderful, light fragrance.

Alchemist is a beautiful rose. I have never grown it, but she is a thing of beauty :001_smile:

Bill

Alchemist is a beautiful rose. I have never grown it, but she is a thing of beauty :001_smile:

Bill

And that's the reason why I put up with babying it through our winters. . .it only blooms on old wood and will die back to the ground most years unless I wrap it very well. And since it's a thorny rose, it's quite an ordeal - lol. But every year it blooms, I think it's all worth it :)

Barcelona (aka Francis Dubreui) -- gorgeous deep red blooms and fragrant!

http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.524

Ha ha! Try telling that truth at an ARS flower show and see the reaction. I had a lady (who'd just won a "Dowager" award) almost kick me in the shins when I said: Madame you do realize your rose is a Hybrid Tea from 1932 and not a Tea rose from the late nineteenth century?

She was so mad she could spit :D

It is a beautiful rose :001_smile:

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

And that's the reason why I put up with babying it through our winters. . .it only blooms on old wood and will die back to the ground most years unless I wrap it very well. And since it's a thorny rose, it's quite an ordeal - lol. But every year it blooms, I think it's all worth it :)

What do you grow it on?

Bill

One needs to pick roses that do well in ones own climate, but some of the roses I love?:

Souvenir de la Malmaison (Bourbon shrub)

Bill

:iagree:

I love this rose, too. I forgot I had it. Just a big, huge, moppy head and a lush scent. Like layers and layers of rumpled petticoats.

What do you grow it on?

Bill

I can't successfully wrap it any higher than 7ft or so, and because of our winters, the tips still get killed off. So I don't have to grow it on anything - it just never gets tall enough, unfortunately.

So you grow it as a shrub?

Bill

I guess - lol. I take whatever I can get with it - most of it ends up being 6ft tall or so. I would love to be able to keep it taller, but just haven't figured out how to preserve it over the winter (and I don't have the room to try to trench it in the ground - it's right in the corner of two fences and the area around it is full of daylilies and iris). One year I thought I killed it (before I knew I needed to wrap it). The garden centers were reporting that over 50% of all the roses in the area died due to the extreme weather, and it looked dead. I went out to dig up the stump and throw it away, and as I was digging, I saw tiny green shoots coming out, and was so relieved!

I guess - lol. I take whatever I can get with it - most of it ends up being 6ft tall or so. I would love to be able to keep it taller, but just haven't figured out how to preserve it over the winter (and I don't have the room to try to trench it in the ground - it's right in the corner of two fences and the area around it is full of daylilies and iris). One year I thought I killed it (before I knew I needed to wrap it). The garden centers were reporting that over 50% of all the roses in the area died due to the extreme weather, and it looked dead. I went out to dig up the stump and throw it away, and as I was digging, I saw tiny green shoots coming out, and was so relieved!

Are you very North? Being a German rose I would expect it to be cold hearty, no? I wondered if I would even get enough "chill" to grow it successfully.

Bill

Are you very North? Being a German rose I would expect it to be cold hearty, no? I wondered if I would even get enough "chill" to grow it successfully.

Bill

I'm in zone 4 (Idaho). Depending on the source, I've seen Alchymist rated for as low as zone 4, but I don't know if they're considering that it only blooms on old wood. That's one of the reasons I bought it in the first place - I thought it would be cold hardy here and easy to care for. . .and some years, it probably would not die clear back to the ground, but even so, many of the canes would die off and I wouldn't get very many blooms, if any. So I don't know if it's my particular climate here or if it's really not hardy to zone 4.

I'm in zone 4 (Idaho). Depending on the source, I've seen Alchymist rated for as low as zone 4, but I don't know if they're considering that it only blooms on old wood. That's one of the reasons I bought it in the first place - I thought it would be cold hardy here and easy to care for. . .and some years, it probably would not die clear back to the ground, but even so, many of the canes would die off and I wouldn't get very many blooms, if any. So I don't know if it's my particular climate here or if it's really not hardy to zone 4.

Have you grown any Albas? These are about my favorite roses and I am seriously zone-stretching trying to grow any these European once-bloomers here in the land-of-little-chill, but (even though they said it couldn't be done) every May we get a few blooms that are so beautiful and fragrant that we pay them special tribute.

Bill

Have you grown any Albas? These are about my favorite roses and I am seriously zone-stretching trying to grow any these European once-bloomers here in the land-of-little-chill, but (even though they said it couldn't be done) every May we get a few blooms that are so beautiful and fragrant that we pay them special tribute.

Bill

I only have one other rose now, and it may be an alba (my mom gave it to me). I would love to have more, but have been hesitant because of how much work my Alchymist has been. Everything else in my yard is survival of the fittest :tongue_smilie:

I only have one other rose now, and it may be an alba (my mom gave it to me). I would love to have more, but have been hesitant because of how much work my Alchymist has been. Everything else in my yard is survival of the fittest :tongue_smilie:

I'm no cold climate gardner (at all) but I think Albas and Gallica roses (which are beautiful once bloomers) would be good candidates for you. And then there are "Buck" roses developed for Canada and other cold spots.

Bill

I'm no cold climate gardner (at all) but I think Albas and Gallica roses (which are beautiful once bloomers) would be good candidates for you. And then there are "Buck" roses developed for Canada and other cold spots.

Bill

I may have to look into those - it's been awhile since I planted any new flowers in my yard :)

Bill

I think the Buck roses are underrated for how wonderfully they perform. I have a couple in my very humid, black spot prone Mid-Atlantic yard and they do much better than most others. I listed one Buck rose on my favs list upthread, Winter Sunset.

I think the Buck roses are underrated for how wonderfully they perform. I have a couple in my very humid, black spot prone Mid-Atlantic yard and they do much better than most others. I listed one Buck rose on my favs list upthread, Winter Sunset.

They are virtually unknown here in Southern California.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
Left out a letter

They are virtually unknown here in Souther California.

Bill

You are zone 9a or so, right? I would guess that because you have so many other great options for roses that rose growers in your area would not need the Buck roses the way those of us in much more finicky growing areas do. :) I am in a place where I am just happy to find a rose that doesn't defoliate to total nakedness due to blackspot. I'll take almost any rose if I don't have to suit up and spray the heck out of my plants to keep them clean and healthy. Around here we can pretty much do New Dawn, Belinda's Dream and Knock Outs without much headache everything else requires a lot of babying.

You are zone 9a or so, right? I would guess that because you have so many other great options for roses that rose growers in your area would not need the Buck roses the way those of us in much more finicky growing areas do. :) I am in a place where I am just happy to find a rose that doesn't defoliate to total nakedness due to blackspot. I'll take almost any rose if I don't have to suit up and spray the heck out of my plants to keep them clean and healthy. Around here we can pretty much do New Dawn, Belinda's Dream and Knock Outs without much headache everything else requires a lot of babying.

I'm actually in zone 10. Fortunately we have virtually no black-spot pressure here. Except for European once-bloomers (that need chill) this is rose paradise.

Bill

Who knew we could have a WTM Heritage Roses group?
What a lovely idea!

I absolutely love antique roses. I am (thankfully?!) within driving distance of The Antique Rose Emporium's Brenham and San Antonio locations.

I second the idea of finding out what roses do well in your location, either by contacting your local American Rose Society group or specialty garden center. (Not a 'box' garden center. :tongue_smilie:)

A few of my favorite roses (not all antiques):

Anna de Diesbach

Baroness Rothchild

Blush Noisette

Buff Beauty

Comte de Chambord

Conrad Ferdinand Meyers (though I just removed this one as it was too thorny for its location and too mean to transplant!)

Dr. Eckener

Duchese de Brabant

Felicia

Green Ice (interesting mini rose)

Jeanne d'Arc

Katharina Zeimet

Madame Berkeley

Madame Caroline Testout

Maggie

Monsieur Tillier (all time favorite!)

Mrs. RM Finch

Natchitoches Noisette

Paul Neyron

Perle d'Or

Safrano

Sombreuil

Veilchenblaue (lovely once blooming rose)

Zepherine Druihin