Menu

Zombie Preparedness?

So, I have a group of mama friends who turned out, under their well-adjusted exteriors, to be big fans of zombie movies. We have engaged in long discussions over the years about zombie preparedness. I hate, and I mean HATE horror movies. I couldn't get past the first zombie in Shaun of the Dead, and that was supposed to be a satire. These discussions have caused me to think about house shopping in terms of possible zombie exposure, and I at one point locked myself out of my house and had to climb an extension ladder to get in b/c I had locked all my windows to keep them shut at night...when I teach SAT prep, I demonstrate how one complex work of literature can be used to apply to a variety of essay prompts. One day, when a class was very stressed out and uptight about the essay, I used zombies instead of Hamlet. Last week, one of those students had a zombie preparedness poster delivered to me at work. (This class was two years ago, Hive. That's the kind of hold zombies have on people.)

There are all these threads on the WTM boards about survival, disaster preparedness, etc.. Surely there are some gems of wisdom to be had here about preparing for/defending against/surviving a zombie apocalypse. Right?

:bigear:

Read it. That's what caused the midnight window-locking incident.

After I told my dh what happened, I heard him outside taking down the ladder. I looked out the window and he started laughing at me, and said, "Just in case." I told these friends while scolding them for making me so paranoid, and you know what they said? "He's right; they'll use a ladder if it's there, but they're not smart enough to think of picking one up and putting it against the house."

As a huge fan of zombie movies, my thinking is that you have to find somewhere to hole up during the initial onslaught. When the zombie hordes invade, you have as much of a chance of being killed by a regular person who wants your stuff as you do by a zombie. Once most of the regular people have been turned into zombies, your chances get somewhat better, unless the zombies in question are the super quick mutant variety, in which case you're SoL.

After that, you have to be really hot, and/or British. Having a dog helps, and if you can, develop some sort of superpower. Head for the boonies with your flamethrower and matching dual machetes, find some abandoned house with a good stock of food and tp, and turn it into Fort Knox.

Ha!Ha! My young adult daughters are always comparing who will survive the zombie apocalypse and why. I can't listen :) Something about naming names along with the phrase, "She'll go first, because XYZ...." that I can't stomach.

It's certainly a very popular pastime!

My 14yo son and his friends are zombie-obsessed. (They're also anime-obsessed and Minecraft-obsessed.) When a group of them spent the night at our house on New Year's Eve, they got up in the morning and had a humans vs. zombies war outside with Nerf guns. I went outside to ask my son something, and saw one or two of them shuffling down the sidewalk, and a victim on the ground. I wonder what the neighbors thought?:lol:

I have gotten used to hearing a lot about the zombie apocalypse. When at the mall, ds will discuss the relative merits of the mall as a place to hide out. (There's food in the food court, weapons in the sporting goods store, etc.)

Wendi

DD4's response to zombies is to make them brownies. I asked her why, she looked at me like I was dumb and said, "zombies eat brownies, not brains."

On a side, I remember seeing a motivational poster a while ago w/kids in a playground structure defending themselves against a horde of zombies. The caption was something along the lines of public school doesn't prepare you for the zombie apocalypse, or homeschooled kids will survive the zombie apocalypse b/c they had time to prepare.

My sons (particularly the older one) could tell you a thing or two about Zombie preparedness. The older one has even had dreams about battling them. They somehow combine Zombies with with the "I am Legend" story line, as well as "The Road" story line to come up with a whole 'nother view on a post-apocalyptic world.....

We can't even have "real" discussions any more because they insist on overlayering with 'what about the Zombies' thoughts. Ugh.....