Menu

Is All About Spelling really the best in spelling?

mrshomework

I have look into AAS and there are lots of blogs out there supporting the use but the company has a payment program for people who share their experience about it. I was just wondering if anyone had a difference of opinion? I just want to be sure I do my research. I have wasted my fair share on not-that-great curriculum. Thank for your input.

This is our first year using AAS and we love it!!! Oh, and I'm not included in their program where I'd benefit from promoting them. We use to use SWR and it just wasn't working for ds and it was stressing me out. My ds has had a dramatic improvement in his spelling and understanding. He's always been a Math and Science guy and he told me the other day that Spelling (and English) are now his favorites. He even asked if we could set our timer longer.

AAS wasn't a good fit for my older kids. They could already spell the words in AAS even if they didn't know the rule. Scripted programs aren't my favorite. I will try it w/my youngest though, since I already own it and spent a lot of time setting it up (cutting the letter magnets, etc) Personally, I'd try something less teacher intensive and less expensive before trying AAS. There are other programs that teach the spelling rules w/o having to buy years worth of product.

AAS is, in my opinion, the best spelling program available if your student needs intensive work in spelling. I have one kid that uses AAS because she absolutely, 100% needs that intensive work with spelling, the one-on-one teaching, and all the extra helps. I have another one that uses a workbook approach to spelling (Spelling Workout) because that's all he needs. I will have him memorize the rules from AAS (Key Cards) by 3rd or 4th grade and the Sound Cards by the end of 1st or 2nd grade (he's already in the process of memorizing the Phonogram Cards). I will probably incorporate some of the teaching about syllabification at some point. But he doesn't need the whole program, so we don't use it.

AAS is, in my opinion, the best spelling program available if your student needs intensive work in spelling.

This. It is too much and too expensive unless you have a struggling speller, imho. I tried it with youngest ds, and it was too time-consuming and expensive for a child who doesn't struggle greatly with spelling in the first place. I thought it would be fun to try, and I have a bigger budget for homeschooling now than when dd were little, so I tried it. (Although a friend of mine had tried everything, including AAS, and it was Sequential Spelling that finally did it for her son.)

I agree to do your research on any homeschool curriculum. There are great programs and programs which are greatly marketed. :D There is overlap, of course, but you want to make sure which you are getting. :001_smile:

I love it for my DS, who needs a lot of review and explicit teaching of the spelling rules. It would be overkill for my DD, who is a "natural" speller. She did no formal spelling until this year (3rd) as has been zipping through Spelling Power.

I have no affiliation with AAS except as a satisfied customer.

AAS is, in my opinion, the best spelling program available if your student needs intensive work in spelling.

:iagree:

It has been a great fit for my wiggly, social daughter who really struggles with spelling (and reading).

When I tried it with my oldest, it was overkill. He is one that can look at a word and then remember how to spell it. Just plain and basic spelling lists work great for him.

Well someone owes me a nickle cause I love it. :D And I haven't gotten a cent.

We love AAS, not just for spelling but for reading. The phonics rules just clicked and his reading and spelling abilities keep growing. I don't think by any stretch that it is the only spelling program that works, or the best for every child. But for my child it works and it worked quickly an easily. It is worth twice the cost for that reason alone. I don't know if we will use all 7 levels, or whether once he has a strong foundation he will need something else, but for now I am a fan and I wish I had found it before I wasted time and money on other programs that didn't work for us.

Or phonics.

We switched from Spelling Workout to AAS because my son wasn't retaining any spelling and was self-taught for reading. His spelling and pronunciation has improved due to AAS. Never been paid for recommending AAS ;)

I just got it so I'm in no way being paid to endorse it. :)

I've been working on set up this week and I went back and ordered and extra student packet today.

My oldest has dyslexia and his tutor is using Wilson with him but the other two are not natural spellers and I needed something to use with them. I do not remember learning to read or spell so I needed a scripted program that would help me teach them.

I love it. I love the way it is auditory, visual and hands on in the same lesson. It is laid out in a way that makes sense to me and I believe it will work very well for my younger two kids.

And the shipping is so fast it will literally make your head spin. I ordered Fri afternoon last week and had it on Monday.

Here is a list of other spelling programs that I have bought and tried before using AAS:

Abeka

Spell to Write and Read (I bought this program twice and sold it both times)

Phonetic Zoo

Bob Jones

Sonlight

Spelling Power

Spelling Workout

Nothing worked with my daughter. She was 13 and spelling at a very very low level even though she was an above grade reader. It was so frustrating. Finally, I found AAS through this forum. After all the money I had spent it didn't seem to matter if I spent a few more. Immediately I began to see improvement. We started at Level 3 and she is now on Level 4. She has improved grade levels since this fall. I could not be happier. I also don't believe that it was just a matter of my daughter finally maturing and it just happened that we were using AAS when it all finally clicked. It really is that good.

I have never been paid a dime by them either. I recommend it to everyone.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

No. The best for spelling is the one that works for your dc.

:iagree:

Now I use AAS (and am not paid by them) and absolutely love it, but my son isn't what I would call a struggling speller. He actually did very well with spelling lists in school - always got 100% on tests without studying during the week. He just needed to write the words and learn the phonics rules for them (they were usually phonetic lists with a few sight words mixed in), and he'd remember how to spell them. So because of that, I thought I would just go with R&S Spelling, being cheap and easy. Well, we tried the grade 2 one (he's in grade 1), and the words were too easy, and in that grade level, there didn't seem to be a lot of phonics rules taught? I think at that point, they're still relying on phonics being taught in their phonics program. My son needed the phonics instruction, as he'd taught himself to read and didn't have a good phonics foundation. So I switched to Sequential Spelling (I had both) for harder words. It was ok, but my son would ask "why" a lot... "Why do we double the 'n' in 'pinning'?" Since I'm not well versed in spelling rules, I needed more hand holding with that kind of question (I know that particular answer, but other questions would have had me stumped).

So I bought AAS. We did level 1 in 3 weeks. We're working through level 2 now, much slower. He enjoys it. *I* enjoy it. It's not busywork. Everything we're doing is teaching him something. It's telling him "why", which is what he wanted to know. And best of all? Within the first couple weeks, I saw him applying what he was learning to other subjects when he had to write or when reading (he was at that 4th grade reading stage where you have to start sounding out words - the phonics instruction is helping him get over that hump).

My son might have done fine with Spelling Workout. That was one I didn't try. I had looked at it though, and I thought the workbook type thing would likely end up being busywork for him, like R&S Spelling turned out to be. With AAS, he's more engaged, and I know he's learning something. Of course, the downside to that is that it's teacher-intensive. I'm ok with that right now. I'm only full time schooling one, and part time schooling a preK'er (when he wants to ;) ), plus chasing a toddler. I doubt I'll need to use AAS for all 3 at one time, as my oldest will certainly be done with all the levels before the 3rd even starts school.

IMHO, Spalding and its look-alikes are more comprehensive than AAS, but still, the one that is "best" is the one that works for you.

Can you explain this further? What is missing from AAS that Spalding has? Or are you talking about the handwriting and reading things? I'm just curious. :lurk5:

IMHO, Spalding and its look-alikes are more comprehensive than AAS, but still, the one that is "best" is the one that works for you.

:iagree:Phonics Road is working well for us... we switched from AAS.

Some kids have switched from AAS to Apples and Pears and did much better.

Some kids have gone through AAS and still need a phonics program.

:iagree: And I have a struggling speller for whom AAS did not work. I still keep it around in case it works for my youngest though.

I probably wouldn't use AAS if I had a natural speller, not with several children to teach. There are less expensive, even free, programs that move faster and require less time for the parent.

And even though I do use AAS, I'll probably have to use something else afterward, though I haven't seen what is in level 7, yet. If you read the boards, many people talk about what program to use after AAS, implying it is not complete. Megawords, Phonetic Zoo, these are programs that have more advanced words than AAS.

What does someone WITH a natural speller who WANTS the AAS "way" do? What workbook approaches mirror the AAS approach?

I think AAS is wonderful (bordering on the best :D) but it has been overkill for my guy SO FAR. I'm tempted to work out my own acceleration plan and just do AAS anyway . . . picking and choosing, skipping as needed. :D

What does someone WITH a natural speller who WANTS the AAS "way" do? What workbook approaches mirror the AAS approach?

Is it the rules he wants? (my son is that one) Or does he just want to spell with the tiles on the whiteboard? Maybe if you used a workbook program with rules and also used the tiles, that might work? Just thinking out loud.

I obviously went the AAS route with my son. *I* needed the handholding. Once we get through all the levels, we'd probably switch to dictation like Spelling Wisdom or Simply Spelling. Not sure yet though. I'm fine with sticking with AAS for now. I have 2 more kids below him that can use it, so that knocks the cost down significantly (figuring most workbooks run about $10-12/year, so $30-$36/year for 3 kids... AAS is about $40/year, so about $13 and some change/kid/year). I'm not even factoring in resale value, since by time I'm done with it, there will probably be updated versions.

:iagree: As pp's noted, that isn't a guarantee it will work for all struggling spellers but it is where I would start.

It was overkill (and confusing) for my natural speller dd. My ds seems to be a natural speller too but I will start him out with AAS and see where it goes. He is not a workbook type so I am hoping it will be a good fit for him.

I think AAS is wonderful (bordering on the best :D) but it has been overkill for my guy SO FAR. I'm tempted to work out my own acceleration plan and just do AAS anyway . . . picking and choosing, skipping as needed. :D

I have heard that EPS' How to Teach Spelling is similar to AAS but in a workbook format and with fewer levels. It looks good but I have no personal experience with it.

My perspective is a bit different. Even though my children are young, I have tutored older students (mostly boys, 4th-6th grades) for a long time (I don't any more, though). But when I was tutoring these boys, I noticed that their spelling programs from school ALWAYS contained exercises like this:

Gloves and mittens hav a different feeling

2. Gloves feel like a second sken

3. Mittens fitt over the fingers like a sock

Notice the intentional spelling errors and lack of punctuation. These exercises are meant to improve spelling and mechanics, but it has been my experience that they DESTROY the young child's sense of order. I worked with one boy who repeatedly saw "hav" in his spelling book, and three years later, was STILL spelling it "hav" -- and when you see it again and again, you realize, "Hey, it's the SPELLING book that's creating all these spelling failures." Duh.

I have worked with boy after boy who has been fed a steady diet of "proofreading" or "editing" exercises -- without enough copywork of PERFECT models -- and the results are sometimes disastrous. These kids just IMPRINT whatever they see. IOW, the "error sentences" become the MODELS for these boys. I shudder.

There are students, of course, who roll right over these exercises with no problems, but for others, they are DESTRUCTIVE. In my opinion, any so-called "Spelling Program" with these types of exercises should be lined up against a wall and shot. :banghead:

You can see samples of this problem at http://www.learningthings.com/items.asp?Cc=PESPL02 Click on Samples, then scroll down to Page 3. It's right there, page after page after exasperating page.

AAS is wonderful from my point of view, because it does begin at the beginning (even my spelling genius finally admitted to having some gaps on her vowel sounds) ;) AND it does not enter into the child's visual memory so many ERRORS before the child has really had the time to grasp what a PERFECT model looks like.

I am off my rant now. :rant: But, when you look at the other programs, think about what those "proofreading exercises" -- for SECOND graders! -- really end up doing to the brain.

I have heard that EPS' How to Teach Spelling is similar to AAS but in a workbook format and with fewer levels. It looks good but I have no personal experience with it.

Yes, we switched from AAS to HTTS. HTTS covers the spelling rules, in several grade level workbooks and a TM that covers k-12, so you can also choose words and sentences for dictation from the TM that match your child's level. FWIW we don't find the rules complicated at all. YMMV etc. :)

I know some people really like AAS and have great success w/their students, so are enthusiastic. But I dislike the links in their blogs to AAS and it's affiliate program when they DO NOT DISCLOSE that they will receive money from AAS through their link, AND they rave about AAS on this board.

Yes, we switched from AAS to HTTS. HTTS covers the spelling rules, in several grade level workbooks and a TM that covers k-12, so you can also choose words and sentences for dictation from the TM that match your child's level. FWIW we don't find the rules complicated at all. YMMV etc. :)

I know some people really like AAS and have great success w/their students, so are enthusiastic. But I dislike the links in their blogs to AAS and it's affiliate program when they DO NOT DISCLOSE that they will receive money from AAS through their link, AND they rave about AAS on this board.

But if their affiliate link is in their blog, and someone is getting AAS due to talk about it on this board, I don't see how they are benefitting. :confused: Wouldn't they have to tell you that they are an affiliate in order to get you to click on the link in their blog?

I did find that the rules are stated in a less complicated manner in the workbooks. When we started HTTS I was trying to use the TM without the workbooks. So... if I were to try it again, it might work. We love singing our rules though. :D

I'm just curious about the last part, I will say upfront, that I do participate in AAS's affiliate program, but I rave about the program because I do think it works. I've had my ups and downs with it and have stated as much. Sometimes it seemed too teacher intensive so I tried other things but always came back to AAS so I'd say that.

Anyway, on to my question. Do you feel that if someone is part of an affiliate program that they aren't as honest about the program?

Just wanted to add I'm not asking to be snarky, just want to clarify and make sure I don't offend anyone with any posts I may put up.

I'm just curious about the last part, I will say upfront, that I do participate in AAS's affiliate program, but I rave about the program because I do think it works. I've had my ups and downs with it and have stated as much. Sometimes it seemed too teacher intensive so I tried other things but always came back to AAS so I'd say that.

Anyway, on to my question. Do you feel that if someone is part of an affiliate program that they aren't as honest about the program?

So Kel, if I buy AAR how do I give you credit?

I have look into AAS and there are lots of blogs out there supporting the use but the company has a payment program for people who share their experience about it. I was just wondering if anyone had a difference of opinion? I just want to be sure I do my research. I have wasted my fair share on not-that-great curriculum. Thank for your input.

I think it's good. But nothing is the "best" unless it works for your child.

I don't get any money or discounts from AAS. I'm kind of sorry since I can think of several people who started using AAS on my suggestion. :lol:

Anyhow, the program has worked well for us. My oldest dd was an excellent reader (probably at the 4th-6th grade level) and still couldn't spell words like the (hte). It blew my mind. Our original spelling program used word families. She could instantly see the pattern and copy it, but still couldn't remember how to spell 'the'. She has been very successful with AAS. As others have mentioned, there were HUGE breakthroughs in the first level, which we finished in only a couple of weeks. There was something about the tiles and method that just clicked for her. Certainly, there are times we can cover 3-4 units in a week. Other times she gets bogged down for a while on a rule. She is 9, in third grade, and halfway through level 5. My younger dd is 6, in first grade, and just finished level 2.

Both of my dds consider AAS to be one of their favorite subjects. I think it has to do with working 1:1 with Mommy, markers and a white board. :D I usually don't follow the script exactly, but sometimes it is nice to just read the script introducing a new rule. :tongue_smilie:

I have friends who swear by the Spalding method. Honestly, it was just too complex for me. AAS is open and go, and appeals greatly to my girls. I feel the sentence dictation is beneficial, and have never viewed any part of AAS as busy work.

Just wanted to add I'm not asking to be snarky, just want to clarify and make sure I don't offend anyone with any posts I may put up.

Not necessarily. But how do I know? Especially when I see stuff like this on the AAS website-

We’ll work closely with you to help you be successful. As a team member, you’ll receive our exclusive newsletter, “Making Money with All About Spelling” with tips on how to make money on and offline. We’ll feature one team member a month so you can learn from them. You’ll receive advanced notice of All About Spelling news and be part of the “inside circle” of new developments.

I do appreciate when blogs/websites have a short statement that if you click on their link to a product, they will receive some payment. Full disclosure. (And this can work for your benefit also, right? See Carmen's post above)

Edited by Jen3boys
added quote from website

:iagree: AAS was the BEST program for my ds, but that doesn't mean it works for everyone. You have to find what is right for your child's needs. :)

Not necessarily. But how do I know?

I do appreciate when blogs/websites have a short statement that if you click on their link to a product, they will receive some payment. Full disclosure. (And this can work for your benefit also, right? See Carmen's post above)

Thanks for clarifying, I'm only asking questions because I don't want to turn people away from a program that could work for them just because I get a little money if they use my blog links. I do have something on the bottom of my blog under the AAS links that says I'm a paid AAS affiliate. Is that what you're looking for or would you want to see it in any posts I make on AAS/AAR products.

Again I'm asking so that I can improve my blog and not offend those that may read it.

Thanks for clarifying, I'm only asking questions because I don't want to turn people away from a program that could work for them just because I get a little money if they use my blog links. I do have something on the bottom of my blog under the AAS links that says I'm a paid AAS affiliate. Is that what you're looking for or would you want to see it in any posts I make on AAS/AAR products.

Again I'm asking so that I can improve my blog and not offend those that may read it.

Oh, yes! I didn't scroll down to the bottom of your blog. I don't have any problem with it because you do acknowlege your affiliation there...it's my responsibility to look more closely at someone's blog. (Nice blog btw :))

I also realize that this is just my opinion on the topic...I don't necessarily think other people would care on way or the other.

We’ll work closely with you to help you be successful. As a team member, you’ll receive our exclusive newsletter, “Making Money with All About Spelling†with tips on how to make money on and offline. We’ll feature one team member a month so you can learn from them. You’ll receive advanced notice of All About Spelling news and be part of the “inside circle†of new developments.

Yikes!

Honestly, anymore, it is easiest to just assume that all homeschool curriculum is being virally marketed both on homeschool boards and blogs. Take everything with a grain of salt.

Personally, I do think people who are affiliates should say so on their posts.

While I realize someone probably likes a program if they are an affiliate, I like to know where they are coming from in giving advice. :001_smile:

I realize that by posting advice without the affiliate link you actually aren't earning anything, but I'd still like to know. Also, it would keep it in the front of my mind that something like AAS does have an affiliate program. I've always bought my products directly from AAS. If I had remembered the affiliate program, I would have sought out one of your blogs and linked through there. I'm happy to help someone out and let them earn money off my purchase, I've just never remembered! :tongue_smilie:

Hopefully that all made sense and didn't sound offensive. :confused:

Not necessarily. But how do I know? Especially when I see stuff like this on the AAS website-

We’ll work closely with you to help you be successful. As a team member, you’ll receive our exclusive newsletter, “Making Money with All About Spelling” with tips on how to make money on and offline. We’ll feature one team member a month so you can learn from them. You’ll receive advanced notice of All About Spelling news and be part of the “inside circle” of new developments.

I was offered the affiliate deal and turned it down... I used levels 1 and 2 and still use the tiles and CD ROM. I think that if someone isn't absolutely thrilled with AAS they don't become an affiliate. ::shrug::

I know some have the link in their sig and that is fine because they have stated over and over that they are an affiliate and have made it quite obvious.

It is like me being a Jehovah's Witness, but part of the Orthodox social group. I have stated that I am a Jehovah's Witness in lots and lots of posts, I don't feel that belonging to the Orthodox social group is dishonest.

I came to AAS through the Riggs Institute. I have a friend, from India whose daughter is in a charter school. Her daughter is a natural speller, I would not be surprised if she was at the Scrips spelling bee within the next few years. She is in 4th grade and just won the school spelling bee (against 8th graders)

She loves the Riggs programs and was just raving to me about it. I looked into it and it looks amazing. NOT packaged for do it yourself homeschool. Look at the site though, it really explains the theory in much more detail.

I went to our local Homeschool supply Exodus books. The owner there is really knowledgeable about the programs there. I told him what I was looking for. What our current problems in spelling were etc... I asked if there was anything similar to the Riggs program. I also wanted to look at spelling workout (WTM rec?) at the same time. He introduced and explained AAS to me. He gave me such a strong recommendation for it, combined with my friends love of the Riggs program (AAS is pretty close), so I took a leap and went for it. We went from "I hate spelling" to "spelling is my favorite subject" overnight. It has been such a joy. My son is 8, he gets such a happy look on his face when I tell him that it is time for spelling. I love it so much that I just bought AAR for my daughter.

The company is also great, check out their return policy. You can buy it, try it for a year and if it doesn't work for you, return it. This is copied from her site

My Unconditional One Year Guarantee:

If, for any reason, you are unhappy with your purchase, simply return it within one year - no questions asked - and I'll give you a complete refund of the purchase price.

I refuse to accept money from anyone who is not 100% completely satisfied with both the product purchased and our service.

Download?Id=209403

I get nothing from this company, other than lots of really positive experiences with my dc

Nicole

My perspective is a bit different. Even though my children are young, I have tutored older students (mostly boys, 4th-6th grades) for a long time (I don't any more, though). But when I was tutoring these boys, I noticed that their spelling programs from school ALWAYS contained exercises like this:

Gloves and mittens hav a different feeling

2. Gloves feel like a second sken

3. Mittens fitt over the fingers like a sock

Notice the intentional spelling errors and lack of punctuation. These exercises are meant to improve spelling and mechanics, but it has been my experience that they DESTROY the young child's sense of order. I worked with one boy who repeatedly saw "hav" in his spelling book, and three years later, was STILL spelling it "hav" -- and when you see it again and again, you realize, "Hey, it's the SPELLING book that's creating all these spelling failures." Duh.

I have worked with boy after boy who has been fed a steady diet of "proofreading" or "editing" exercises -- without enough copywork of PERFECT models -- and the results are sometimes disastrous. These kids just IMPRINT whatever they see. IOW, the "error sentences" become the MODELS for these boys. I shudder.

There are students, of course, who roll right over these exercises with no problems, but for others, they are DESTRUCTIVE. In my opinion, any so-called "Spelling Program" with these types of exercises should be lined up against a wall and shot. :banghead:

You can see samples of this problem at http://www.learningthings.com/items.asp?Cc=PESPL02 Click on Samples, then scroll down to Page 3. It's right there, page after page after exasperating page.

AAS is wonderful from my point of view, because it does begin at the beginning (even my spelling genius finally admitted to having some gaps on her vowel sounds) ;) AND it does not enter into the child's visual memory so many ERRORS before the child has really had the time to grasp what a PERFECT model looks like.

I agree. I had the editing books recommended to me and decided it was not a good idea to have my child look at incorrect spellings over and over. It is bad enough he has to look at his own misspellings.

However, IMO, AAS is not avoiding this problem completely. Unlike some other programs, it often has the children attempting to spell words "blindly" without seeing them first. This is easy to modify as a parent, if you feel the child needs to have the visual model before trying it himself. This is one minor thing I dislike about the program, though.

...but it has been my experience that they DESTROY the young child's sense of order. I worked with one boy who repeatedly saw "hav" in his spelling book, and three years later, was STILL spelling it "hav" -- and when you see it again and again, you realize, "Hey, it's the SPELLING book that's creating all these spelling failures." Duh.

... In my opinion, any so-called "Spelling Program" with these types of exercises should be lined up against a wall and shot. :banghead:

:lol: and :iagree::iagree::iagree: Studied dictation avoids this! :D

I LOVE how All About Spelling approaches spelling from several different angles - teaching rules, multi sensory work, prefixes/suffixes, syllables, visualization, dictation . . .

I'm having a terrible time letting it go for my "natural speller". Though he is a "natural" there is so much meat to AAS. :001_smile:Besides that, I am learning so much by teaching it. There is value to that as well.

Love it!

However, IMO, AAS is not avoiding this problem completely. Unlike some other programs, it often has the children attempting to spell words "blindly" without seeing them first. This is easy to modify as a parent, if you feel the child needs to have the visual model before trying it himself. This is one minor thing I dislike about the program, though.

Is this a situation in which AAS is asking the student to apply a rule to a new word? To see if they can sort it out? Just curious. I haven't run into this issue but I may have overlooked it. :001_smile:

Yikes!

Honestly, anymore, it is easiest to just assume that all homeschool curriculum is being virally marketed both on homeschool boards and blogs. Take everything with a grain of salt.

:iagree: It makes decisions harder for us newbie HSers...

fwiw - I decided against AAS b/c SWR was such a flop for us and they are too much alike for my liking. ds8 needed something absolutely *different.* That, and the cost is prohibitive 3x dc, for me.

I had some affiliate links in our blog (not for AAS). What you stated is the feeling I got from some on these forums. My decision? If people are going to look at what I say and do this :rolleyes:, I would rather not have them. I took my blog out of my signature and removed all the affiliates before putting it back. I can now speak about what I like without feeling that people think I am pushing something. For me it has been very freeing.

Edited by Guest

fwiw - I decided against AAS b/c SWR was such a flop for us and they are too much alike for my liking. ds8 needed something absolutely *different.* That, and the cost is prohibitive 3x dc, for me.

If your kids were using the program at different times, you'd only need one set of materials for each level since the materials are nonconsumable.

Sounds like you had other good reasons for going with a different program - just wanted to pass along the cost info for anyone on the fence.

I loved the idea of it, but it was too slow for my oldest son. He made progress with it, don't get me wrong, but he could always spell all the spelling words used to demonstrate the spelling rule. We switched to Spell to Write and Read. Certainly not as pick-up-and-go easy as AAS, but I'm finding it much better for all my spellers and soon-to-be spellers. Cheaper, too, in the long run.