Menu

February Crafters Challenge Update!

Woe is me! What a challenge this has been! Last night I sat down to finish off the square, and my toddler grabbed the needle and ran off with it. I couldn't pick up the stitches well enough, so I had to start over. Late last night, I had cast on and knit 8 rows and the wool snapped! I couldn't fix that either, so had to start over. Very late last night, I knitted 5 rows, and went to sleep. This morning I have knitted another 5, so I have a whopping fifth of the wretched square done!

So the challenge is on. Can I get 4/5 of a square done by midnight, when it takes me about half an hour to knit each row? :lol:

In the meantime, you can gush to me about your spiffy updates :)

Rosie

Just before I sat down here I finished felting a knit bag. This is the 2nd of 2 that I am making as high school graduation gifts for twin nieces. They were quite large before felting (the bags, not the nieces), and finished up to about 9x12 as I wanted them large enough to hold notebook. I still need to find the right fabric to create a liner, into which I will sew pockets. The bag itself will have leaf-shaped cutouts through which you will see the liner, with embroidery and beads sewn between the "leaves".

I've also been working on my first knitted blanket. It is a throw-size blanket that I started a couple of years ago, lost interest in, and it sat around until I ran out of yarn for the bag-project. I picked it up while waiting for more yarn to come from knitpicks for the bags, and continued to work on it even after the bag-yarn got here. It is a jade-green color fans-and-feathers pattern, and it's coming out nicely. However, I used up the rest of the yarn for it a couple of weeks ago, but it looks too small. Fortunately knitpicks still carries the yarn I used; unfortunately it's out of stock. Hence, taking some time to finish the bag...

So, here I am feeling lost without a knitting project. Time to get down to writing the thesis - right? Welllll...

DH has been wanting knee-high wool socks, but we haven't been able to find any that work for him, AND the local yarn class is offering a fishermans' knee-sock class! I will learn socks and cabling, both skills that I've been wanting to try! The class doesn't start until next Monday, and in the meantime I'll work on a braided rug that I started at a 4-H leader training class last week. I can't do too much on it, though, without learning the next step from the instructor. And the next class for that isn't for 2 weeks. So, now that I've rambled on for a while, I guess I should use the next week to get a good chunk of that thesis written before my next crafting class starts.

:p

Woe is me! What a challenge this has been! Last night I sat down to finish off the square, and my toddler grabbed the needle and ran off with it. I couldn't pick up the stitches well enough, so I had to start over. Late last night, I had cast on and knit 8 rows and the wool snapped! I couldn't fix that either, so had to start over. Very late last night, I knitted 5 rows, and went to sleep. This morning I have knitted another 5, so I have a whopping fifth of the wretched square done!

So the challenge is on. Can I get 4/5 of a square done by midnight, when it takes me about half an hour to knit each row? :lol:

In the meantime, you can gush to me about your spiffy updates :)

Rosie

I had a similar project disaster story when my dd was a toddler. Like you I was still new to the craft and couldn't figure out how to pick up the stitches so I just started over. *sad*

Maybe this blog entry from the Yarn Harlot will bring some cheer. :D

Will post Feb projects later. Apparently I've forgotten how to add a photo.

Edited by Cinder

ARGH! The first two lines of that blog entry was enough to create physical pain! :lol:

What happened with your photos Cinder? I wanted to get a good look at the green socks, but the pic didn't blow up when I clicked on it :(

No photos Amy? The bags sound cute as. I know they're not finished, but pics of work in progress are good too!

Two responders on this thread, huh. Well that makes me feel better about my disasters, since clearly there are too many others who've piked out! (Or they live in a different time zone and aren't out of bed yet, or they are homeschooling their kids, I should be fair.)

:tongue_smilie:

Rosie

I had a similar project disaster story when my dd was a toddler. Like you I was still new to the craft and couldn't figure out how to pick up the stitches so I just started over. *sad*

Maybe this blog entry from the Yarn Harlot will bring some cheer. :D

Will post Feb projects later. Apparently I've forgotten how to add a photo.

Wow, that is seriously classic. Wow.

What happened with your photos Cinder? I wanted to get a good look at the green socks, but the pic didn't blow up when I clicked on it :(

Rosie

Hmm, not sure what the problem is. I think I need more training on how to add photos to my posts. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Cinder

picture.php?albumid=476&pictureid=1953

The misshapen bag is the one I finished today. I'm not sure why it felted funny, but I had to pull a section of the side apart (it felted together/closed near the bottom on one side). I need to rewet it and give it a good stretch.

picture.php?albumid=476&pictureid=1952

The blanket is really a lap-blanket size right now: 3'x3'. I'd really like to add a couple more feet to it.

Holy cow! I'm not sure how these ended up so big, but I have no idea how to make them smaller. Sorry!

I haven't been knitting, but I finally finished a crochet afghan I've been working on for months. Whew!

Cute!

Oh Rosie, that would be sooo frustrating.

Just to make you feel better, I haven't picked up my knitting for weeks now.

Naughty girl. :toetap05:

:tongue_smilie:

Another try.!

The blanket is really a lap-blanket size right now: 3'x3'. I'd really like to add a couple more feet to it.

Holy cow! I'm not sure how these ended up so big, but I have no idea how to make them smaller. Sorry!

Oh! I just love the lacy stuff! Maybe in ten years I'm going to be able to do that sort of thing. If the project I have in mind for in two years time doesn't kill me...

The bags are nice Amy. The colour choice is so professional looking!

Rosie- 3/5 to go...

My photos are going in funny directions. :001_smile:

I just have to switch some of the metal parts to gold filled, and I'm done!

I used vintage glass, turquoise, and a few crystals.

I'm loving all the pics.

I think I need to learn how to knit once and for all.

Amy, your blanket is beautiful!

(It's a bracelet and earrings)

Edited by helena

10.33pm and I finished it! After all my previous mishaps I ended up choosing this pattern because it looked easiest and therefore quickest to do. The pic in the book was done in dark purple wool so I couldn't really see the pattern properly, but done up for real, it's very nice. I couldn't get a photo to show it properly though.

:)

Rosie

P.S Those "plarn" (that tickles me) bags look too sexy to be plastic bags.

10.33pm and I finished it! After all my previous mishaps I ended up choosing this pattern because it looked easiest and therefore quickest to do. The pic in the book was done in dark purple wool so I couldn't really see the pattern properly, but done up for real, it's very nice. I couldn't get a photo to show it properly though.

:)

Rosie

P.S Those "plarn" (that tickles me) bags look too sexy to be plastic bags.

Wow Rosie!! You did a fantastic job on your square mama! :hurray: :party: I'm so glad you got it finished after all. :)

So far this month, I've knitted:

Booties, Pilot cap, and vest for a friends newborn.

Hat and Mittens for a niece's birthday.

And I am working on a sweater for me, oh and I started a pair of socks.

I don't know how to post pictures of them here, but they are on Ravelry. My name is "purplepickle" there. I love Ravelry.

So far this month, I've knitted:

Booties, Pilot cap, and vest for a friends newborn.

Hat and Mittens for a niece's birthday.

And I am working on a sweater for me, oh and I started a pair of socks.

I don't know how to post pictures of them here, but they are on Ravelry. My name is "purplepickle" there. I love Ravelry.

If you go to your Ravelry gallery, right click and go down to properties. Copy the "link" and past it into the "insert image" icon here. :D

I have ALMOST finished piecing together a quilt top my dd and I have been working on for over a year. it has squares of patchwork ( sewn by dd) and alternating squares of aplique. The applique done by dd have butterflies, and the ones done by me have Holy Hobbie dolls, copied form dd's wallpaper.

It will probably take me a year to hand quilt.

Can I jump in???

I"m new around here (well, been here a few months now...) and new to the craft challenge. You all have done some amazing stuff!!

I have been hand piecing squares that will be a small quilt when I'm done. I first started way back in July, then set it aside and did nothing again until last month. In January, I had 2 of the squares/blocks done.

Now, as of yesterday, I have 6 of them done! I did one in January and 3 more this month.

The blocks are a log cabin pattern; some are cream/light blue, the others are red/dark blue. The creams are printed in the other colors, not solid cream.

Here is a picture of 4 of the 6 blocks; I've not photographed the last 2 yet. These are laid out how they'll be in the top row of the quilt just to give an idea of the pattern.

IMG_0966.JPG

This will be my first actual quilt. The only other thing I've made before was a set of 4 quilted coasters for a Christmas gift. I'm loving this new-to-me craft though!

Can I jump in???

I"m new around here (well, been here a few months now...) and new to the craft challenge. You all have done some amazing stuff!!

I have been hand piecing squares that will be a small quilt when I'm done. I first started way back in July, then set it aside and did nothing again until last month. In January, I had 2 of the squares/blocks done.

Now, as of yesterday, I have 6 of them done! I did one in January and 3 more this month.

The blocks are a log cabin pattern; some are cream/light blue, the others are red/dark blue. The creams are printed in the other colors, not solid cream.

Here is a picture of 4 of the 6 blocks; I've not photographed the last 2 yet. These are laid out how they'll be in the top row of the quilt just to give an idea of the pattern.

IMG_0966.JPG

This will be my first actual quilt. The only other thing I've made before was a set of 4 quilted coasters for a Christmas gift. I'm loving this new-to-me craft though!

Beautiful!!! I'm so glad you did jump in. Looks like you have a knack for quilting. :)

Been there! I had my 1 1/2 year old become fascinated with my needles for a month or two.. during that time he pulled out the DPNS on my sock 5x, a pair of longies I was making 2x, and each time pulled to unravel for a bit.

I knit at the couch so if I got up for just a moment, he would trot right over & pull.

Thankfully, my knitting is a bit on the tight side, and I was using wool, so it wasn't too hard to pick up the longies stitches, the sock on the other hand was rather complicated with heavy cabling... :eek:

I finally switched from DPNs to a 2 circular needles method of working in the round... that way I had more time to get them away from him. :D

Can I jump in???

IMG_0966.JPG

Lovely! I do hand piecing myself! Have you considered how to set up the blocks when done... like a barn raising? I'm doing that with lights and darks.

• 2 weeks later...

All right! I know we are into March... but... I have a good excuse for my late entry!!! In Feb. my dd had her baby and each of my parents came for a visit and... and... oh, yeah, I did each of these things during February!! I just didn't get around to posting them!

The hand project was using knitting looms... one size for scarves and a very small one for flowers. The head bands are for my granddaughter, Chloe.

post-1955-1353508459041_thumb.jpg

post-1955-13535084590705_thumb.jpg

post-1955-13535084591002_thumb.jpg

post-1955-13535084591297_thumb.jpg

post-1955-1353508459041_thumb.jpg

post-1955-13535084590705_thumb.jpg

post-1955-13535084591002_thumb.jpg

post-1955-13535084591297_thumb.jpg

Lovely! I do hand piecing myself! Have you considered how to set up the blocks when done... like a barn raising? I'm doing that with lights and darks.

Just saw this note -- the pattern I'm using is for a Mosaic Star, so the cream will make a star in the end when it's all together.

Here is a link to the original pattern -- I'm using red/white/blue instead of black & brights. I had the shop owner/pattern designer help me figure out how to alter it for the colors I wanted to use, because at the time (last June) I wasn't anywhere near confident enough to figure that out by myself.

I've finished the 2nd row worth of blocks and am hoping to do the rest of the middle soon. That pieced border scares me, though!!