Menu

Can I celebrate a little?

Amy Jo

I was going through a box of papers, I found a copy of the wide range reading test I'd given my eldest in February 2010. He scored a 0.9, meaning he knew the individual sounds and only got one word correct ('cat'). So I did the test with him again tonight. He is not fast, but he still got 41 words/sounds correct. That's a 4.1 grade level. (He is a young 3rd grader.) He even managed escape, urge and collapse! I'm really :lol::D:tongue_smilie: right now. It's been a long road, but I think we just have one more hurdle: fluency.

Anyway, thanks for listening. And thanks everyone here for your help, we couldn't have done it without this board.

Yes the WRRT is a list of words (afaik reading tests are). He can read and comprehend a story, but he has to read a line, then he pauses to put it together because it takes him so long to just read it. So we are doing some repeat reads / Victory Drill style reading, starting with just words so he can gain speed. Elizabeth's lessons are doing a LOT for his confidence too. (Thanks Elizabeth!)

Last year this child could NOT blend (we started with 2 letters). And he was not comprehending what anyone read (had to work on his ability to visualize). I also discovered via SWR that he couldn't make some sounds. Now he follows stories we read, comprehends and enjoys them. He can decode words, I think (hope) all he needs now is speed and confidence.

This is the test - from Don Potter's website. (If the link doesn't work google Wide Range Reading Test.) There's also a MWIA test that Elizabeth uses because it shows progress better (more words).

As to assessment of comprehension, I used Visualizing and Verbalizing. Plus I can tell from the quality of his narrations that he is understanding. Especially when in "Trumpet of the Swan" the part about Louis sleeping in the bathtub caused 5 minutes of hysterical laughter.

This is the test - from Don Potter's website. (If the link doesn't work google Wide Range Reading Test.) There's also a MWIA test that Elizabeth uses because it shows progress better (more words).

As to assessment of comprehension, I used Visualizing and Verbalizing. Plus I can tell from the quality of his narrations that he is understanding. Especially when in "Trumpet of the Swan" the part about Louis sleeping in the bathtub caused 5 minutes of hysterical laughter.

Thank you for the link. I will be checking where DS is, as I have been wondering.