Menu

Really irritated about tonight's youth group...

The germs factor is rather icky, but doesn't phase me.

I have 6 sons. The disgusting things boys are oblivious to never ceases to horrify me.:D

It's the promoting of such foolishness as imitating college frat party games by those in a position of authority and influence of the youth at a church sponsored function that would upset me. It shows a lack of maturity and ability to think of consequences.

Idk about anyone else, but my kids lack maturity and far thinking on their own. I don't need to send them to a youth group to get church sanction on those.

Giving them mostly junk and foolish games is a sad statement of what it means to live a life of faith.

I'm confused - where did the OP say this was the ONLY thing they did that night in Youth Group? How do we know they did "mostly" junk and foolish games? All we have read says that in one night they played one silly game. We do not know what lesson they had, what they studied, what they talked about before or afterward. We don't know if they hadn't just finished an amazingly in depth study and this was a way to celebrate and have goofy, fun or if this was an "intro" to another lesson.

I find it just as frustrating to have people negatively judge this youth group after reading about a single, silly game without asking any further questions.

What about churches with a common cup? They just wipe off saliva--that doesn't wipe off germs.

FWIW -

"CDC concludes that the risk of infectious disease transmission by the common communion cup is very low and that current safeguards such as wiping the rim between communicants apparently is adequate to keep risk at the undetectable level."

and

"During fermentation these antiseptic substances are split off from the sugars and in this way become active. These molecules are polyphenols, a class of substances used in hospitals to disinfect surfaces and instruments. The polyphenol of wine has been shown to be some thirty-three times more powerful than the phenol used by Lister when he pioneered antiseptic surgery." Emanuel Kolyvas, M.D.

There is also some evidence to suggest that the silver of the cup is helpful in some way too, although I can't site the research for that right now.

But for the original question - the above obviously doesn't apply, as Mountain Dew isn't wine. I wouldn't be particularly keen on such a game, I have to say.

Guest momk2000
I'd be irritated, too. I'd be irritated right from the start because of the game. Really? The youth leader thought chugging a 2-litre bottle of *anything* was a good game? Really? And chugging from the same bottle...no, that is just not ok.:glare:

:iagree:

However, the activities (even fun ones) should have a purpose, shouldn't they? Then, it's just another social outing, right?

But social outings are important for ALL people. And honestly, I'd rather my teens have social activities and form friendships from youth group (not that all the kids in youth group are angels) than going to unsurpervised parties. Yes, drinking the Mt. Dew was silly, but better than doing the beer bong. And I'd rather my kids learn how to socialize WITHOUT alcohol, sex and drugs.

I'd probably just load my kid up with echinacea, Vit C and probiotics the next day. And drum it up to teenage boys.

I don't like the idea of my kids CHUGGING anything. I'm hoping they will be college bound someday and the idea of them thinking that anything should be drunk like that disturbs me.

Now someday if my 24 year old DD approaches me with a good bottle of wine to share, I'd be all over that.

But chugging? Nope. And chugging something as non-nutritious as Mountain Dew is disgusting.

I'm thinking you would anyone who was in charge of your kiddo since this is the case. Am I wrong there?

No, quite the opposite. ;)

My intolerance is more towards those who say they do not immunize their kiddos and let them attend functions while obviously ill and contagious. Which always affects us and makes us seriously ill or hospitalized. What drives me batty are the justification they are right to go out and spread those lovely germs to folks (like us) who have a compromised immune system. Selfish behavior, IMO. In my experience, once we explain our health situation, MANY people go out of their way to accomodate our situation or call us to warn us a family member is ill. Those actions I do appreciate as a courtesy. That is thinking of others rather than yourself. But yes, due to our disease and homeschooling, we live in a bubble during cold/flu season.

I'd be curious about the object lesson from this exercise. If they bring it up next week and talk about, How did you feel after consuming so much sugared drinks at once? They could tie the lesson back into not only gluttony but moderation.

My personal irritation with this is that it's too similar to the antics played with alcohol. There is no intelligent purpose for it, unless they bring it around to a lesson like I described above. I spent the better part of my youth and young adult life drinking too much, dh did too. We partied every weekend. We have alcoholism on both sides of my family. Dh no longer drinks, I drink wine coolers on occasion. We discussed with ds at length about his probability of having an addictive personality. Yes, it may seem like a silly game, but it smacks too close to what I'm trying to help my son avoid. Our family history is private information, we don't share that with everyone. I'm even a fairly liberal christian compared to some, but moderation in drinking (anything from coffee to alcohol) is something we teach.

I'd rather see them have a mentos & diet pepsi contest, that would be fun and intelligent.

In reality I would probably roll my eyes, be upset with ds for doing something stupid and make him work harder because he didn't sleep the night before because he was on a sugar high. Then I'd probably e-mail the pastor and ask the purpose of such an event.

What about churches with a common cup? They just wipe off saliva--that doesn't wipe off germs.

Um. This would not apply to us -- our homechurch uses either individual tiny plastic cups -- or the hostess gives son and I our own cup of communion wine to drink from if there is a common cup. Our group doesn't wipe the rim after drinking. Sip and pass on. Eeeeyyyyuuuuuuwww. So, I appreciate the hostess going to the extreme and helping us avoid that scenario. :D

I'd rather my teens have social activities and form friendships from youth group (not that all the kids in youth group are angels) than going to unsurpervised parties. Yes, drinking the Mt. Dew was silly, but better than doing the beer bong. And I'd rather my kids learn how to socialize WITHOUT alcohol, sex and drugs.

It is NOT an either or situation people!

Really? Is it either or for your kids?

Either make friends while pretend/simulate a beer bong using mtn dew with church supervision (after all it isn't actually beer, so it's just silly) OR go to unsupervised orgies where there's drugs/alcohol?

Really? Those are the only two choices on the table for your teens?

My kids have been socializing for 16 years now and not once have those been our only choices for situations to make friends or grow spiritually. For that matter, dh and I have been together since we were 16 and have never felt those were our only options.

And this doesn't even address the issue that just bc it is a church event doesn't mean the kids aren't having sex or whatever.

It's a big world. I find it hard to believe these two choices are the best we as parents can offer our teens.

Dh is the youth leader at our church. It used to be me, but I am now the AWANA commander. Anyway, I totally get the whole frustrated yth ldr "thing" that has been expressed. However, I would not have youth chugging or sharing 2 liters and I asked dh if we would choose such a game. He said "eww, I guess its the germaphobe in me, NO." So we are alike in that way. Plus neither of us are keen on the chugging or stuff-as-much-as-you-can-in your-mouth-at-one-time type games.

Now, that being said, I have managed to tick off a few parents/church goers now and then over our activities. It is a hard job. You have to balance a fine line between grace and legalism, fun and reverence, ministry and fellowship, etc. It is inevitable that the workers and parents will fall on different sides of that line at times. And, may I add, that what may seem as common sense to one can seem like stupidity to another :glare:. Just calmly communicate and all should be fine.

Off topic example:

I once agonized over an out of town yth event. I prayed for months on how to best place yth in hotel rms given the # of boys, # of girls, # of moms, # of men (1 my dh) vs how many rooms we could afford. After much prayer I refused to put an unrelated man in same bed as a boy and I refused to put women in a room with boys. Seemed like common sense to me. However, I was blasted because I only had one man and 2 rooms of boys. I put the 2 "hard case" boys in a bed in the room with dh in other bed (the parents were fine with dh in same rm). 3 long standing, church going, older boys in separate rm. Well, one of those boys didn't get enough sleep :glare: because the other 2 kept talking. That family left the church because I should have put one of the adult women in the room :001_huh:. This blows my mind.

ETA: If it is something you can afford, maybe offer to purchase a game bk for the youth. I bought one through centrifuge yrs back called Games With A Purpose. But, at minimum, a conversation would be a good thing to have with the leaders. I would actually schedule a time and not do one of those let-me-grab-you-between-things type of conversation. Those are hurried and difficult. Ask the leader to share their "vision" for the ministry. In doing so, you might help the leader to see that this game did not fit into the plan as well as they may have thought.

Edited by jewellsmommy

Off topic example:

I once agonized over an out of town yth event. I prayed for months on how to best place yth in hotel rms given the # of boys, # of girls, # of moms, # of men (1 my dh) vs how many rooms we could afford. After much prayer I refused to put an unrelated man in same bed as a boy and I refused to put women in a room with boys. Seemed like common sense to me. However, I was blasted because I only had one man and 2 rooms of boys. I put the 2 "hard case" boys in a bed in the room with dh in other bed (the parents were fine with dh in same rm). 3 long standing, church going, older boys in separate rm. Well, one of those boys didn't get enough sleep :glare: because the other 2 kept talking. That family left the church because I should have put one of the adult women in the room :001_huh:. This blows my mind.

:confused: Bizarre!

This is why I have a major problem with "youth" leaders. Stupid crap. The majority of them (99.99%) are more worried about being cool than actually teaching anything remotely related to the Gospel. And then they seem to think another major function is to "relate" to the kids better than the parents are able.

Gah. Spitting out the bad taste of the vast majority of youth programs.

This is why I have a major problem with "youth" leaders. Stupid crap. The majority of them (99.99%) are more worried about being cool than actually teaching anything remotely related to the Gospel. And then they seem to think another major function is to "relate" to the kids better than the parents are able.

It is very unfortunate that this is the prevailing thought about youth leaders. I agree that probably too many think they have to be "friends" with the youth. I was once in a horrible position of cautioning another adult (a yth helper) about this. Her family was caught in a mess because of a manipulative yth. However, I have noticed that many parents would rather turn away than communicate with the leaders and that is not helpful.

If I may suggest: If any of you feel as Remudamom does, please talk to your youth leader about this book. Raising the Bar by Alvin Reid http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Bar-Ministry-Youth-Millennium/dp/082543632X.

I am not saying you have to attend every meeting and gain a whole new ministry. Encourage the ldr or church to make youth a transition into adult ministry, not just an extension of the children's ministry. Help them develop a purpose and vision. Commit to pray for the group. Encourage other parents to speak up. Most won't because they are afraid of being told to "takeover" something. But I just hate to see tons of angry posts about no-good youth leaders. I also hate to see youth potential being wasted.

Mountain Dew, in a back-of-the-envelope kind of way:

12 oz serving has 46g sugar, 170 cal

5.63 servings per 2 liters.

Total of 259g sugar in the bottle, so 130g per kid, in a few minutes.

(54 mg caffeine, 304 per bottle, 152 per kid)

That's a *huge* sugar spike. Not to mention the caffeine. It would mess my kids up for a couple days. That kind of insulin swing is just not good.

(Eggnog, which another poster mentioned, would be just as bad, as it is *very* high in calories.)

I too remember the story of the mom who died trying to win a game system for her kids at Christmas by drinking a lot of water in a radio station contest. Poor kids.

I would gently tell the leaders that there are health concerns with over-indulging in food, especially high sugar foods, and that you appreciate their efforts but would prefer that they did not do such activities in future. I would also mention that kids should not be sharing drinks, especially as we are entering flu season. Explain that a bout of flu could have a kid out of commission for a good three weeks - even a healthy kid. Use the "sandwich approach" - say something positive about their work and your child's appreciation of the group, then your concern, then end with something positive. Keep it friendly, positive, and informative.

And if it was the youth leaders who used the word "chug", I'd mention that too.

This is more my mindset about youth ministry.

http://www.exodusbooks.com/details.aspx?id=1757

My last run in with a youth minister was when one courted kids and wouldn't give parents the time of day.

Our church used to have a great program on Sunday nights when the kids studied the Westminster Shorter Catechism and had awards and prizes for memorization. Our kids loved it. No idiocy, they learned, they had fun.

Edited by Remudamom

Modeling gluttony, when there are those going to bed hungry in the world, is simply an irresponsible thing to do from any church/temple/mosque. How ill though-out!

No, we don't have youth group. But we do have church school, and I do volunteer. And YES, I've done a bit of contest drinking in certain venues. But I wouldn't teach it to youths as a skill to know! :confused:

Dang, I'm old...

My last run in with a youth minister was when one courted kids and wouldn't give parents the time of day.

Our church used to have a great program on Sunday nights when the kids studied the Westminster Shorter Catechism and had awards and prizes for memorization. Our kids loved it. No idiocy, they learned, they had fun.

That, too, looks like a wonderful tool. We have something like what you describe called AWANAs. I am a big advocate of these type of programs. They provide good guidance. I think many children and youth programs get into issues when they just try to "wing it" and have no over arching plan or program.

:iagree:There is no biblical basis for the thing called Youth Group. Parents are supposed to be the disciplers of their children. The whole Youth Group phenomenon is an outgrowth of trying to make the gospel/church "relevant" and fun so teens will want to come to church. The gospel is an offense - it always has been and always will be. Dressing it up as a big party is a deceptive way to present it. As my pastor often says, "The way you get 'em is the way you keep 'em." If it takes a horse and pony show to get people in the doors, you will need to have a horse and pony show every week. Church is not a place to be entertained - it is a place to worship God.

Some may argue that parents don't disciple their children and someone's got to do it. Well, if it's possible for parents to hand their children over to someone else then why should they bother? Just because a parent does not carry out his God-given responsibility does not mean that someone else should take it up. It means that the church leadership needs to build parents up and encourage them to do what God requires of them. The emphasis should be on training the adults to fulfill their responsiblities - not creating a situation where they don't need to.

:iagree:There is no biblical basis for the thing called Youth Group. Parents are supposed to be the disciplers of their children. The whole Youth Group phenomenon is an outgrowth of trying to make the gospel/church "relevant" and fun so teens will want to come to church. The gospel is an offense - it always has been and always will be. Dressing it up as a big party is a deceptive way to present it. As my pastor often says, "The way you get 'em is the way you keep 'em." If it takes a horse and pony show to get people in the doors, you will need to have a horse and pony show every week. Church is not a place to be entertained - it is a place to worship God.

Some may argue that parents don't disciple their children and someone's got to do it. Well, if it's possible for parents to hand their children over to someone else then why should they bother? Just because a parent does not carry out his God-given responsibility does not mean that someone else should take it up. It means that the church leadership needs to build parents up and encourage them to do what God requires of them. The emphasis should be on training the adults to fulfill their responsiblities - not creating a situation where they don't need to.

Yep. There was an AWANA group here that we took the kids to for a while, but it was worthless. Just chaotic. The thing that got me was getting the kids to convert, or say the sinner's prayer or whatever. Then the kid was SAVED and still displayed the same horrid, godless behavior as before.

Now, I know that for some kids this is all they get. And I also realize that being saved does not mean that behavior is miraculously changed. But it's also not an environment that we wanted for our children.

I think instead of babysitting children on Wednesday night the churches should target the parents.

Yes. Because obviously teens are too stupid and lazy to do more and better with their life and we wouldn't want to suggest otherwise for fear of them going off to party elsewhere.

What an insult to today's youth.

Youth group can be fun AND serve a better purpose than promoting stupidity and foolishness.

And this attitude is why my kids aren't in youth group.

Youth are usually in seeking mode. They are seeking meaning and purpose and truth. Giving them mostly junk and foolish games is a sad statement of what it means to live a life of faith.

I most fervently pray our youth is seeking more than junk food and foolishness in their lives in general and most certainly in their spiritual lives.

I wonder if so many leave when older bc they feel christianity bait and switched them. Lure them in that being Christian is all sweets and fun and then as adults they find they weren't equipped to deal with the harsh reality of spiritual struggles and moral decisions that can be very hard to make.

Where did I say this is ALL youth group was about?

I spend my Sunday evenings teaching about the gospel, the sacrements and where students see God present in their lives.

But's it's not easy with kids. You have to find an in--not to be cool or hip, but a place to connect. And I often find, playing with them (not usually chugging soda) but some kind of play, helps establish trust so we can talk about deeper faith-based stuff.

May not be the way you would do it, but I show-up every Sunday ready to teach and to listen.

I have found the content of this thread VERY offensive. I volunteer at my Parish and I am neither an idiot or a fool (thanks Rumudamom).

If you think youth group is foolish non-sense then by all means keep your kids home. But to say it inherently has no value, is just hyperbole.

Youth groups can be good. Youth groups can be not so good. Some, I'm sure, can be bad. They've been a mixed bag in our house. Right now I'm deciding if I want to try it again with my soon to be high schooler - outside of what is required for Confirmation. So much of it depends on the youth ministers. I'm not ready to issue a blanket condemnation by any means, but I'm not overly thrilled. The youth ministers at our parish work very hard, and they don't have an easy job of it. I really don't know the answer.

Chugging a liter of Mountain Dew is absolutely not okay in my book. I expect the leaders to use better sense than that. Yes, I think that shows bad judgment, but I wouldn't quit a youth group over it.

:iagree: AMEN!

Germs, caffiene, and gluttony aside (and I agree with all of those points, not to mention the safety factor), I wouldn't want my kids in a situation like that.

No matter how "fun" an activity like that is supposed to be, there are always going to be kids that don't want to participate. I can't imagine my oldest wanting to do that. She is very shy and nervous when she's in the spotlight (not to mention having a sensitive tummy). If she did end up participating it would be because she felt pressured to do so, to fit in, and I just don't think that is a healthy environment. No, they aren't physically forcing kids to participate in games like this, but sometimes kids feel like they have to or they are going to be seen as "weird" because they don't enjoy activities like that. It just seems to create a peer pressure atmosphere...and that is one of the reasons why we homeschool, to avoid situations like that. And when an adult is in charge of it, it makes it seem okay. I don't know, it just seems like there are plenty of other activities out there to do that would have a more positive effect.

We're an atheist family, so we don't go to church, but my DD has participated in youth group activities with her best friend. They've sang songs, played with squirt guns at the park, had a pizza party, and done crafts. One activity required everyone to write one positive thing about everyone in the room on a notecard. At the end of the night, the kids were allowed to take the cards home. She came home with a handful of nice things written about her. I thought that was so neat! It seems like activities like that would create more of an inclusive atmosphere. (This is my own opinion as a person who has never belonged to a church, though. :tongue_smilie:)

It tends to be a ministry that younger people run. It never hurts for them to hear from parents when there are problems. Honestly, if a youth leader wouldn't think that sharing a bottle of sugary caffeinated beverage for a public chug-a-thon is a problem, then they actually NEED to hear from parents. Not in a critical ugly way, but in a way that lets them learn. They aren't perfect. But not being willing to voice a complaint really helps no one. I love my kid's youth leaders, but they aren't parents.

He was chosen for a game where he and a friend had to "chug" a 2 liter bottle of Mountain Dew.

Students love games like this, and they're fun. If he felt forced to play; that's an entirely different matter and that should be addressed.

Notice how the OP wrote the above sentence (bolding mine).

I'm willing to bet that *many* kids would have felt forced to do something like that. And who is going to speak up? Not many, not at those ages, and not in a group setting. Yes, I've worked with teens groups in the past. So has my dh - he was even trained as a youth leader. I get the need to "connect," but games and stunts like those I've read about here are ridiculous.

it had something to do with eating an oreo, swishing their mouth, and spitting it back in the cup....the next person did the same...with the same cup. :ack2: It was the counselors who did this and maybe a few of the 12th grade guys. It was so gross, but boy did it get a reaction from the audience and was talked about for the whole next year.

So this disgusting event was talked about, but why? What in the world does shocking kids have to do with helping them develop their relationship with God and others????

Many of these kids don't have the maturity, skills or self-esteem to stand up and say, "No."

I'd love to hear more about this and similar study groups.

Ok I'll be the dissenting voice. I'm the youth minister at my church.

Students love games like this, and they're fun. If he felt forced to play; that's an entirely different matter and that should be addressed.

Bringing youth together is mostly about building and modeling Christian community. Not all the activities serve an obvious purpose.

If you were asked, how would you justify coffe hour? How are donuts about church?

Youth group should be fun. You want kids to come back.

I wholeheartedly agree. While it may not be the greatest hygiene practices, I am 100% ok w/ church youth groups being fun- even gross or weird.

Not every.single.moment of a child/teenage life must have focus & intensity. IMHO, that's not how God designed us. Its ok to be silly, tell jokes, laugh & fool around....especially @ church.

I'm always so negative about things like this because I just didn't have good experiences as a teenager. No, the above statemetn is not always true. As a teenager, I never said a direct 'no' to anyone because I didn't want them to not like me anymore.

Yeah, you're right. Just because they are old enough to say no doesn't mean they will. I was writing as a 45-year old, not a 16-year old. Sometimes it is easy to forget! Plus, I have boys that had/have no problem sitting out of an activity if they didn't want to do it. However, my daughter might be another story. She is so peer-oriented. :tongue_smilie:

Something similar happened to my dd at a recent church retreat--it was lemonade from a can and she was the only one drinking it. She was supposed to drink it and then be the first to crush the can (Chug and Crush was the name of the game). She said that she almost threw up and that she learned NOT to volunteer for things.

Totally unrelated to that I had to attend mandatory risk management training at the university where I teach. This game was given as an example of illegal hazing in the state of Texas. We were told that in Texas it is illegal to have someone do this, illegal to be the person doing it, and illegal to particpate by watching--even if it is only water because kids have died doing it with water.

I approached our youth ministry staff (as well as other parents from the group) and we found out that this is an extremely popular game--naming all types of famous campus ministries and camps that use this game. We had to repeatedly explain why this was NOT ok and bring in the director of the youth ministry. The parents have made it clear that this should not happen with our kids again. But, I am surprised at apparently how widespread this is.

It sounds to me that the group has immature leadership. I would not let my kid(s) go back.

Modelling dangerous behavior is not what fellowship is about! It seems like a blatant mimic of some beer drinking game, and that is insanely irresponsible.

I disapprove of drinking & eating games for the same reason I disapprove of gambling games: They are modelling/practicing unhealthy behaviors. Totally not oK.

Besides, I don't even allow my kids to have ANY caffeine beverages until they are 14, and from 14 & up to outofthehouse, I expect them to drink not more than one can a day in any situation.

I can't see a single redeeming characteristic about this activity. I think it is dangerous to blindly assume that just b/c something is a church sponsored activity that it is remotely healthy or safe. I think you are smart to judge carefully.

Totally unrelated to that I had to attend mandatory risk management training at the university where I teach. This game was given as an example of illegal hazing in the state of Texas. We were told that in Texas it is illegal to have someone do this, illegal to be the person doing it, and illegal to particpate by watching--even if it is only water because kids have died doing it with water.

I was told more than 20 years ago that making people eat/drink was illegal hazing. And there was no caffeine or germ sharing involved.

Where did I say this is ALL youth group was about?

I have found the content of this thread VERY offensive. I volunteer at my Parish and I am neither an idiot or a fool (thanks Rumudamom).

You're quite welcome. And I'd thank you to point out exactly where I called you either of those names.

But I will call the programs we pulled our kids out of idiotic and foolish. Let's see, once they played "hide and seek" through a neighborhood, hiding in people's yards and bushes. It's a wonder no one called the police. And another time they turned out all the lights in the HUGE church and played hide and seek. I highly recommend THAT for a bunch of teens. I was really glad my girls weren't there.

Yes, there are some decent youth leaders out there. But I haven't run into any of them in a loooong time.

Well I guess I"m blessed. We must have the whole .01% of them at our church!