Menu

Is there a healthy compromise between

What about using cocolate chips?

I make pumpkin muffins using half whole wheat flour and oatmeal, applesauce instead of oil( really reduces the fat and I can't taste a difference), & less sugar. Then we dust with powdered sugar.

The girls love them and they don't have an ultra-healthy texture to them. I think they would be good with chocolate chips or a thin layer of frosting or whipped cream, for an extra treat.

What about using cocolate chips?

I make pumpkin muffins using half whole wheat flour and oatmeal, applesauce instead of oil( really reduces the fat and I can't taste a difference), & less sugar. Then we dust with powdered sugar.

The girls love them and they don't have an ultra-healthy texture to them. I think they would be good with chocolate chips or a thin layer of frosting or whipped cream, for an extra treat.

Will you share your recipe???? Please??

:)

Anne

YES! Mix 1 tin of pumpkin puree with 1 box of devil's food cake mix. Add 2 egg whites and 1/2 cup of water and 3/4-1 C chocolate chips. Pour into muffin tins and bake at 350 F. THese muffins are the moistest, yummiest ones I have ever made and you do not taste the pumpkin at all. THe kids think they are eating double chocolate cupcakes but they are getting all the vitamins and fibre the pumpkin can give them.

You can make cupcakes with the King Arthur White Whole Wheat flour. Then they are whole grain !

I use the Crazy Cake recipe for cupcakes because I have a kid who is allergic to eggs, and Crazy Cake doesn't call for eggs.

If you don't want it to be chocolate, leave out the cocoa and use that much more flour. And it's awesome with almond extract.

If you want them to be like whole-grain hostess cupcakes, use extra-dark cocoa. Yum !

If you feel guilty about regular frosting, make a cream cheese frosting. Cream cheese is really good with chocolate !

Pumpkin Bread, altered from Better Home & Garden

Makes 2 loaves or 32 muffins. I use 2 muffin pans and a small round cake pan.

Preheat to 350 and grease pans

1 3/4 cup sugar. (was originally 3 cups, lots of flexibility to change)

1 cup applesauce

4 eggs

2 1/2 cups ww/white 50/50 mix flour

1 cup rolled oats

2 tsp baking soda

1 1/2 tsp Salt

1 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp cinnamon

2/3 cup water

1 can pumpkin puree (15 oz)

Beat sugar and applesauce. Add eggs, beat well. Set aside

In large bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Alternate adding flour mixture and water into sugar mixture until combined. Beat in pumpkin.

Bake for: 55 minutes for loaves, 15-20 minutes for muffins

Edited by snickelfritz

Here's the nutritional information including the chocolate chips. I often make them without, or with half a cup. There are 8 grams of protein. The fat content is relatively high, 14 g, but 10.5 g of this is from the peanut butter. There is 1 teaspoon of butter per muffin. From the King Arthur Whole Grain Baking book.

Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Muffins

2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour

1 t baking soda

1 t baking powder

1/2 t salt

4 T unsalted butter

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

3/4 cup peanut butter

1 1/2 t vanilla extract

2 large eggs

3/4 cup buttermilk

1 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 375º.

Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Cream together the butter and brown sugar until light. Add the peanut butter and mix until incorporated. Beat in the vanilla and eggs, one at a time. Scrape the sides of the bowl often. Add one-third of the dry ingredients and mix until moistened. Add half of the buttermilk, mix until combined. Add the remaining dry ingredients and remaining buttermilk. Scrape bowl and ensure even mixing. Add in the chocolate chips if using.

Scoop the batter into a prepared muffin pan. Bake until golden brown, 23-25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for five minutes, then turn out to complete cooling on a wire rack.

I would just give in and enjoy a decadent muffin for Valentines Day and then let it go! I have found if I try to go healthy when I am craving something decadent, it often backfires and I end up having BOTH- the healthy AND the unhealthy version. :)

:iagree:

Some treats are just meant to be enjoyed without any guilt. I figure that if we try to eat healthy 80% of the time (now I could be wrong here, so please correct me), it's okay to be a bit more flexible the other 20%. In "Food Rules", this is his last rule in the book, to "Break the Rules once in a while ... what matters is not the special occasion,but the everyday practice." :)

I make the kids Chocolate Muffins(which they call cupcakes fairly regularly) they are made w/ coconut flour and sweetened w/ honey and a bit of stevia. I usually don't even do frosting but have made one from honey and egg whites that was pretty good. That is normal in our house though and the "real" stuff isn't missed.

I would just give in and enjoy a decadent muffin for Valentines Day and then let it go!

Okay, really I would... But I'm carrying a lot of guilt. We have Christmas, two birthdays on Dec. 23rd, one on Dec. 28th, three more birthdays in January, and then another on February 14th. These are for co-op and the mamas would prefer something a little sugar-light, kwim?

So at this point the guilt is driving me to make ANYTHING even slightly lower in sugar, kwim? :D