Menu

A step above Legos?

Help!

I have a just-turned 8 year-old who is a Lego fanatic. We also have K'Nex and Snap Circuits that he is likewise obsessed with. During the warmer months, he spends half his life in the garage working on this-or-that creative project with his toolbox and scrap wood. In the wintertime, it's creating space stations made from recycling & Duct Tape (all through the house, ugggg!).

We buy him the large Lego kits and he is finished within a couple of hours, tops. All the Lego kits from his birthday last week have been finished for days and he's fidgety already.

What is a next step? To spend this kind of cash on these huge Lego kits for a couple hours of fun... well, we could have paid for a trip to Disney at this point, lol!! I want something that will at least slow him down some, but don't know what's available out there. :huh: I know there are some kind of robotic Legos, but are those too intricate?

My girls weren't quite this... enthusiastic. They enjoy their Lego kits, and they build them quickly, but sort of pace themselves. DS, on the other hand, once the box is opened, he is a Man On A Mission.

He also spends a lot of time building his own projects with the huge amount of miscellaneous Legos we have, but he REALLY enjoys following those instruction sheets.

Lego Mindstorms is the robotic Legos. They aren't at all intricate, but you program them. I think a sharp 8-year-old might be able to do it as long as you get him started (go through tutorial together or something).

I would think the Mindstorms would be something that might work, just because it isn't a "kit" that you follow directions to build. There are any number of types of robots you can build, so lots to do, but you have an end goal in mind. Just have to figure out how to get there.

Before you make the investment, you might check to see if there is a First Lego League team in your area that he could join. The teams compete each year - in fact, the competition is probably any week now. Maybe you could find it and go watch it. My son was on a team through a science store, and it was FREE! They met weekly for about 6 months and he learned a lot. But I know there are also FLL homeschool groups. You might try googling for something. Only bad thing is that the teams probably wouldn't start up again until at least summer.

Do you get the Lego Magazine? It is free and there are usually coupons in the sets to mail in for a subscription. There are sometimes instructions for unique projects in those magazines.

Brick Journal is a magazine for grown up lego enthusiasts, but my ds really enjoyed it when he was 12 or so. It is amazing the things they build! There are articles about Master Builders, about the special builds for tv shows and such. Very cool!

I don't know if they still make these kits, but my lego fanatic loved the kits that had instructions for several different things that could be built from the one kit. Can't remember the name of them. Also, just big boxes of miscellaneous legos are great.

Klutz Lego Contraptions was a favorite kit with both my boys. It doesn't quite have enough pieces to build the contraptions, so you have to use some of your own bricks, but WOW!! They are the coolest contraptions!

My boys were both builders and creators of STUFF. Submarines, space ships, you name it. I kept boxes, paper towel tubes, and all kinds of arts and crafts stuff and let them go to town. It is just what they did, and it sounds like your ds is the same way. Just enjoy it, and try to keep the clutter contained to a room or area of the house.

, but you have an end goal in mind. Just have to figure out how to get there.

Thanks for the ideas! Off to google some things!

I do think the whole "end goal" thing is what makes building a kit so different for him than building "whatever he wants." He doesn't see building "whatever he wants" as much of a challenge, because no matter how it turns out, it's okay! Whereas when he's building with a kit, there's a right-and-wrong and he sort of thrives off that energy.

I've tried finding pictures of Legos online and having him duplicate those himself (without instructions). The girls LOVE this & have come up with the coolest creations (usually varying from the picture once they have gotten into it creatively), but him... notsomuch. The colors were never "just right" with the pictures and that really irritated/distracted him. He wants it just. so. :glare:

My boys were both builders and creators of STUFF. Submarines, space ships, you name it. I kept boxes, paper towel tubes, and all kinds of arts and crafts stuff and let them go to town. It is just what they did, and it sounds like your ds is the same way. Just enjoy it, and try to keep the clutter contained to a room or area of the house.

lol, he constantly "rescues" things from the recycling (it's his job to take the recycling outside, so he sees it as first-dibs). We have a big Rubbermaid kept in the schoolroom with oodles of ... STUFF. It makes me crazy sometimes, but he simply must have that creative building outlet or he is just a miserable little guy. It's definitely hard-wired into his personality, lol.

Edited by orangearrow

Hmmm, that's odd. My boys rarely make the "kits" but use all the pieces to create their own things. They can spend hours in the room playing with the Legos. They've done cities, recreated ancient war machines, you name it. Doe she realize that the Legos are so much more than what they're packaged to be?

I agree that the LEgo magazines are great inspriration and DK has several books too that have inspired them. GOod luck. I'd think he'd be set for Legos for years.

First, thanks for the book instructions. I've reserved several from the library - I didn't realize there were books ('doh!! :laugh:) that weren't just "Lego Collection" and/or MindStorm books out there. He'll like going through those.

Hmmm, that's odd. My boys rarely make the "kits" but use all the pieces to create their own things. They can spend hours in the room playing with the Legos. They've done cities, recreated ancient war machines, you name it. Doe she realize that the Legos are so much more than what they're packaged to be?

Odd??? Um, okay. :001_huh:

As I said, he DOES spend hours dreaming up his own creations. We have a gazillion Legos for just that purpose & just disassembled an entire Hogsmeade village the kids created a few weeks ago. But, sometimes he wants to sit down - with an instruction "manual" - and make exactly what is in front of him and he wants it to look exactly like the finished product on the package.

Same with his wood creations. Sometimes he likes to just... create. Other times, he wants to find pre-made plans and read and follow the instructions.

And yes, he realizes that Legos are much more than they're packaged to be. And I don't think he's odd in any way. :glare:

If you or dh are willing to work with him and/or supervise a bit, why not move on to non-kit type things. This book is ds's next step (he is working on the Mindstorms right now): MAKE: Electronics. He devours every MAKE magazine (they only come out quarterly, which is sad) and asks to build everything, so we wanted to start giving him the skills to start building real things.

First, thanks for the book instructions. I've reserved several from the library - I didn't realize there were books ('doh!! :laugh:) that weren't just "Lego Collection" and/or MindStorm books out there. He'll like going through those.

Odd??? Um, okay. :001_huh:

As I said, he DOES spend hours dreaming up his own creations. We have a gazillion Legos for just that purpose & just disassembled an entire Hogsmeade village the kids created a few weeks ago. But, sometimes he wants to sit down - with an instruction "manual" - and make exactly what is in front of him and he wants it to look exactly like the finished product on the package.

Same with his wood creations. Sometimes he likes to just... create. Other times, he wants to find pre-made plans and read and follow the instructions.

And yes, he realizes that Legos are much more than they're packaged to be. And I don't think he's odd in any way. :glare:

:grouphug:--he sounds delightful :001_smile:. He might enjoy the Lego Digital Designer. He can design his own creation, and then print the instruction guides for building it. It might be a fun bridge between the "whatever comes out of his head is okay" design fun and the "this is what the manual tells me to do" design fun. Or you or your husband could create challenging models for him and print the instruction manuals.

ETA: Fischertecknics are also fun, and can be seriously upgraded over time, but they aren't cheap, either.

Edited by JudoMom

My lego fiends' current passion is to build their own version of Star Wars ships. Ds8 has a Lego Star Wars book, and Ds10 amazes me with his own versions of the things pictured in the book. Ds7 has also made some really cool looking ATAT Walkers. The book (along with not having enough money for a lot of the things pictured in it!) has definitely inspired a lot of lego creativity.

And I don't think he's odd in any way.

Your son isn't odd at all. My ds 7 sounds very much like your son. He got 3 lego sets at Christmas and had them all put together by that afternoon. He is so focused when putting together a Lego set. He won't take the sets apart either.

He does a lot of building with just general Legos but his passion is the new Lego sets and instructions. They do get expensive after a while.

As fast as he puts them together I can't justify spending $50 on a Lego set. We did find a great sale after Christmas at Walmart. All Legos were 50% off.

Kelly

how about a website with free lego instructions? There are a few. Still trying to find the one where you can save and print them out. I will post again if I can locate it.

Here is one though - seems you have to view the instructions on the screen though (better than nothing!).

Good luck! I have a new Lego lover, so I think I am going to be in the same boat as you!

:grouphug:--he sounds delightful :001_smile:. He might enjoy the Lego Digital Designer. He can design his own creation, and then print the instruction guides for building it. It might be a fun bridge between the "whatever comes out of his head is okay" design fun and the "this is what the manual tells me to do" design fun. Or you or your husband could create challenging models for him and print the instruction manuals.

My Lego-loving son has spent hours and hours with Lego Digital Designer. You can actually order the kits of the things you create if you wish. We haven't done that, but a friend's DS has.

Mine would build the kit, display it for a week or so, then take it apart to use the bricks. He didn't feel that whatever he built is okay though. He would get in his mind what he wanted to make, then start building it. He would often spend hours designing and redesigning. And he loved Lego Digital Designer.

We live about an hour from the Disney area, and I can't tell you how many trips we've made over the years to The Lego Store in Downtown Disney. He'd determine what bricks he needed, and find them on the "wall of bricks" I don't know if that's what it's actually called, but it's what he calls it.

There's also this blog. It's for homeschooled kids, and a new challenge is posted biweekly.

Thank you for all the kind suggestions! Will spend the next few days looking through links and such -there are websites and books and building toys that I've never even heard of. I knew this would be the right place to ask, lol! :D

DS will be very happy to have some new things to try. We want to continue his love for building these things - but - our funds just cannot keep up with his busy hands! LOL :lol:

Be brave and mix up the pieces for original creations. The link below has zillions of medieval and castle related goodness:

http://www.classic-castle.com/

Have fun Lego challenges: grab a handful of bricks and use them all to make something, build a fast car, a tall house, etc. Lots of websites show original creations and have ideas. No need for more shopping.

Help!

I have a just-turned 8 year-old who is a Lego fanatic. We also have K'Nex and Snap Circuits that he is likewise obsessed with. During the warmer months, he spends half his life in the garage working on this-or-that creative project with his toolbox and scrap wood. In the wintertime, it's creating space stations made from recycling & Duct Tape (all through the house, ugggg!).

We buy him the large Lego kits and he is finished within a couple of hours, tops. All the Lego kits from his birthday last week have been finished for days and he's fidgety already.

What is a next step? To spend this kind of cash on these huge Lego kits for a couple hours of fun... well, we could have paid for a trip to Disney at this point, lol!! I want something that will at least slow him down some, but don't know what's available out there. :huh: I know there are some kind of robotic Legos, but are those too intricate?

My girls weren't quite this... enthusiastic. They enjoy their Lego kits, and they build them quickly, but sort of pace themselves. DS, on the other hand, once the box is opened, he is a Man On A Mission.

He also spends a lot of time building his own projects with the huge amount of miscellaneous Legos we have, but he REALLY enjoys following those instruction sheets.

My ds, now 10, loves legos and live wise is finished with the most complicated kits in just a few hrs. He never stops there though. Normally within a week he has created numerous other creations with the kit in combination with the large bins of legos he has.

He has K-Nex also but doesn't spend nearly the time with them as legos.

My son is this way too. What keeps him going is MOC pages online where there are tons of folks who post pictures of their creations. It helped him to be a lot more creative with the stuff he already has.

Another idea is to have him set up still frame movies ...maybe a favorite scene from a book (even something from schoolbooks). My son made a 10 minute movie with his legos..one picture at a time ;) I think it was something from Lord of the Rings. He's 12 now and the passion is only stronger now than it was when he was 8!