Menu

Illinois representative needs some education on homeschooling

He is um...quite interesting.

Does IL not have any HS requirements? Here in OH we send a letter to our superintendent about our intent to homeschool with a brief outline of our curricula and send that with a signed statement from a certified teacher or standardized test scores showing that the kid(s) are working to the level they should be.

He is um...quite interesting.

Does IL not have any HS requirements? Here in OH we send a letter to our superintendent about our intent to homeschool with a brief outline of our curricula and send that with a signed statement from a certified teacher or standardized test scores showing that the kid(s) are working to the level they should be.

Homeschoolers in IL are considered private schoolers. There are absolutely requirements other than the children must be receiving some kind of basic education. No notice, etc...you do not exist to the state.

His definition of "truant" is most likely equal to "not receiving an education, but simply being kept home under the guise of homeschooling".

"We're not going for the private school students, we're going to change that [in the proposal]. What we want to know is where the homeschoolers are. It's as simple as that," Maloney said from his Springfield office.

Yes, he needs some educating. In Illinois, homeschools ARE private schools. You can't go after one without going after the other.

There are some great comments under the article. Yay for smart mamas!

Yep, loved the comments. The schools there are a nightmare. Education is in the crapper, some schools have to worry about r@pes in the hallway, etc. Teachers are pulling their own children out to homeschool them. It's a mess all around. The only good I could see in giving notice as a homeschooler, is that it may make it more acceptable to those unfamiliar with homeschooling. The attitude I've seen rampant in IL is that when they find out there are no regulations for it, then they become suspicious of it...and then you have a nice target on your back and might find trouble at your door (but a lot of this has to do with the views of people in the midwest where doing things "differently" doesn't seem to be well accepted, at least not in the areas I'm familiar).

I'll help you find them, sir.

Look for homes with children out playing at 1pm. Ask them what they are doing, and when they tell you they are building a wooden horse so they can play "Trojan War"...you probably found some homeschoolers. If the 5yo calls the little patch of trees in his backyard "The Hundred Acre Woods"...homeschoolers. If they are reading a book snuggled up in a tree branch in the middle of an April afternoon...definitely a HSer, sir.

If the parents, by chance, invite you into their home and it looks like a mini library met a mini science lab...those are homeschoolers. If the 4yo jumps up and asks you to look at the picture he drew and tells you it's a "mitochondria"...they are homeschoolers. If the teenager can hold an adult conversation with you, sir....that is a homeschooler.

And, I agree with the sentiment; "You should fix the public schools in IL before destroying the good thing going with the HSers in your lovely state."

Paula (born and raised in IL...graduated from one of the best high schools in IL...and that experience certainly played into my decision to homeschool my own dc.):001_smile:

Illinois has enough problems to fix without taking on the unnecessary "problem" of dealing with homeschoolers. Illinois is a disaster, and he is looking for a scapegoat.

I pray for my friends still homeschooling there. This guy and those like him are just plain idiots.

Illinois has enough problems to fix without taking on the unnecessary "problem" of dealing with homeschoolers. Illinois is a disaster, and he is looking for a scapegoat.

I live in IL. The schools here are terrible. In our school district, the budget was so bad that they cut band, most special ed workers, teacher aides, and 90 people in our tiny town of less than 8000. So you can imagine what the schools are like right now. But somehow my kids are a threat. :glare:

When a representative from Flint tried to introduce a bill for making homeschoolers register and report results to school superintendents, another rep - a homeschooling parent - brought forth hand outs detailing the standardized test scores, college acceptance rates, community volunteerism rates, socialization studies, you name it of homeschooelrs. This guy had really done his research. He let everyone take a moment to peruse the material and then made the comment that the State of Michigan has no business telling those that are doing their jobs correctly how to do that job. Instead, just possibly, the State of Michigan should hire homeschool consultants to help it fix it's own broken, failing, mess.

There was silence on the House floor. The bill died without much discussion.

Since the state is failing miserably on all counts, it has no business calling the homeschooling community into question for it's few failures, when it's own house is in a collosal state of chaos and decay!

It is very difficult for me to imagine that Illinois could possibly be worse than Michigan! It is absolutely disgusting the level of political posturing done in this nation on both state and federal levels over trifles. HELLO YOU NUTSY CUCKOO POLITICIANS!!! DO YOU SEE THE STATE OF THINGS! WHY DON'T YOU ACTUALLY PICK A VITAL ISSUE AND ADDRESS THAT???

Faith

When we lived in NM, not a state known for great education, we first had a mandatory testing rule for certain grades. While we lived there (four years) the legislature decided it didn't need to do that anymore. Why? Because the homeschoolers consistently outtested the public school kids and the state was wasting 40,000+ (I am sure it was more since while the worker got 40K, he/she also got medical, life, and pension which increased the cost) just to hire one person to deal with the testing and reporting paperwork. It was felt that it would be a better use of the money to have it go towards educating the kids that are in the public schools. I suggest the representative in Illinois think about this some more.

There are absolutely requirements other than the children must be receiving some kind of basic education. No notice, etc...you do not exist to the state.

This is somewhat incorrect. We have two requirements in IL: 1) teach in the English language and 2) teach subjects equivalent to those taught in public school AND if you are approached (by the district, super, etc.) you are required to prove that you are doing so.

I don't know any who has been approached, but I also don't know all 60,000+ IL homeschoolers.

This is somewhat incorrect. We have two requirements in IL: 1) teach in the English language and 2) teach subjects equivalent to those taught in public school AND if you are approached (by the district, super, etc.) you are required to prove that you are doing so.

I don't know any who has been approached, but I also don't know all 60,000+ IL homeschoolers.

I homeschooled there for many years, but then I've been out of that state for five years. We were never required to prove anything. I merely remember that we were supposed to teach the same basic subjects as the schools (I don't even remember the insistence that it be IN English, but then, that wasn't an issue).

I homeschooled there for many years, but then I've been out of that state for five years. We were never required to prove anything. I merely remember that we were supposed to teach the same basic subjects as the schools (I don't even remember the insistence that it be IN English, but then, that wasn't an issue).

Teaching in english is actually a requirement now, if you can believe it. Our system works well for homeschoolers in that the burden of proof is totally on the parents while avoiding beaurocratic intrusions. The state can ask you whenever they want to to prove what you're doing complies with their requirements. They've just historically been busy with other things. It's been ten years since this has come up. In 1999 a Senator wanted not just registration; she wanted curriculum review and a few other intrusive things.

We are fighting it tooth and nail. We feel it is an intrusion into parental rights. We also feel the language in the bill is so vague, they could require anything they want to.

The scariest part of the entire bill (which I scanned) is "...the educational development of every school student serves the public purposes of the State."

Actually, the educational development of every school student should serve their own interests. They're not going to bring me down without a fight.

AND if you are approached (by the district, super, etc.) you are required to prove that you are doing so.

I had a brief stint working for DuPage County's ESR in the 90's, truant division.

A family was referred to me for being truant~turns out they were homeschoolers and my boss told me to leave them alone and we had no authority to question them.

Of course, back then I wondered if it was legal, lol, but I've often thought that's the way it should be everywhere.

Teaching in english is actually a requirement now, if you can believe it. Our system works well for homeschoolers in that the burden of proof is totally on the parents while avoiding beaurocratic intrusions. The state can ask you whenever they want to to prove what you're doing complies with their requirements. They've just historically been busy with other things. It's been ten years since this has come up. In 1999 a Senator wanted not just registration; she wanted curriculum review and a few other intrusive things.

We are fighting it tooth and nail. We feel it is an intrusion into parental rights. We also feel the language in the bill is so vague, they could require anything they want to.

The scariest part of the entire bill (which I scanned) is "...the educational development of every school student serves the public purposes of the State."

Actually, the educational development of every school student should serve their own interests. They're not going to bring me down without a fight.

I agree, the vagueness is insane. PA is bad enough in that we are simply burdened with paperwork and appts, but at least we know what to expect.

Here is another article with some great rebuttal.

Yeah, we love our freedoms here in IL, most of which stem from the fact that we are de facto private schools. The school code does not mention homeschoolers - we are non-public schools. This bill is dangerous for two very important reasons. First of all, it is intentionally vague, which leaves too much room for our power hungry education lobby to create some onerous requirements. Second, it removed our protections as private schools, which can pave the way for more intrusive legislation.

I don't live in IL, but grew up in the boarding state of WI. I'm sure knowing what I know of IL, it's mostly a play for money they believe they are losing out on.

As to the truancy of a homeschooler, if a homeschooler were truly truant (meaning not in classes at their homeschool) I think I'd be calling the police to report them as being kidnapped, because I find it hard to believe my kids would get "lost" on the way downstairs to school.

I don't live in IL, but grew up in the boarding state of WI. I'm sure knowing what I know of IL, it's mostly a play for money they believe they are losing out on.

As to the truancy of a homeschooler, if a homeschooler were truly truant (meaning not in classes at their homeschool) I think I'd be calling the police to report them as being kidnapped, because I find it hard to believe my kids would get "lost" on the way downstairs to school.

What money? They wouldn't gain any money from this. In fact, they would either spend more or simply overstressed the already overstressed workers in their district.

Nukeswife, you are correct. The law as written leaves no room for misunderstanding. Maloney is either stupid or lying. Having lived in Illinois this long, I tend to believe the latter. There is no moral argument for this, it is meant purely as a distraction from the root cause of this proposed legislation, and that is "how can we get some money out of this?"

Where I live in IL, the schools are considered excellent. They should be for the property taxes we pay! However, our state, owes the local districts millions of dollars for the 2009-2010 school year. Since it doesn't look like they will ever see that money, they had to cut tons of programs and extra curriculars in order to pay their own bills. The local mail was awash in pink slips last summer. Like they can really afford to add another expensive mandate!!

I don't homeschool because our local districts are "bad" (they are highly rated) but more of a reaction to institutional school in general. I like that we can tailor their academics to their individual needs. I can provide a rigorous education without the pressure of the gifted and AP classes in our local schools - the pressure driven by all the "tiger mothers" (of all ethnic backgrounds) who live here. I worry about the negative socialization - bullying is rampant, especially between the middle class "have-somes" and the very wealthy "have-too-muches". But mostly, I love the fact that we can develop close family bonds, parental and sibling bonds.

I live in IL. The schools here are terrible. In our school district, the budget was so bad that they cut band, most special ed workers, teacher aides, and 90 people in our tiny town of less than 8000. So you can imagine what the schools are like right now. But somehow my kids are a threat. :glare:

Same here. I live downstate, outside of Carbondale. The town in which I live has a population of 10,000. Our schools here are horrid. You'd think they'd have bigger fish to fry than worry about the education I am giving my girls.

Nukeswife, you are correct. The law as written leaves no room for misunderstanding. Maloney is either stupid or lying. Having lived in Illinois this long, I tend to believe the latter. There is no moral argument for this, it is meant purely as a distraction from the root cause of this proposed legislation, and that is "how can we get some money out of this?"

:iagree:

What money? They wouldn't gain any money from this. In fact, they would either spend more or simply overstressed the already overstressed workers in their district.

Oh I don't think they'll get money, I was saying that somewhere in Maloney's crazy mind he thinks they are losing out on money because homeschoolers aren't counted. Apparently he doesn't realize there is no money to be had by counting homeschoolers.

I'm not sure that's true, I don't think we are required to show anything to anybody.

Oh I don't think they'll get money, I was saying that somewhere in Maloney's crazy mind he thinks they are losing out on money because homeschoolers aren't counted. Apparently he doesn't realize there is no money to be had by counting homeschoolers.

I think THEY think that knowing how many homeschoolers there are will give lawmakers a mandate to DO something to get them back in public schools and be counted somehow there. Regulations always seem to intimidate people, and there will be people who will put the kids back into school rather than be harassed -- and there will be districts choosing to use whatever regulation there is to demand other things and harass homeschoolers.

A few years back, the local superintendent where I was from was calling homeschool groups and demanding lists of their members to get a count of homeschoolers in the district and telling homeschoolers that they needed to register with him. He didn't just want numbers. He wanted names and addresses too. When that didn't work, he asked a local librarian to do the same thing (in the name of "helping" us choose curriculum for the library) and then he asked people he knew to pretend to be homeschoolers so they could join the groups and get the lists for him. He backed off when a local leader talked to HSLDA and then reminded him how illegal and intrusive this is. And this is without any legislation to back him.

Edited by Asenik

Well, if this guy's thought processes are like the thoughts of the previous superintendent of our local school district, then he thinks that by hassling homeschoolers, they'll enroll in p.s. instead of putting up with the hassle which will increase each district's per head funding and the parents will be spending money on the fundraisers the school foists on the community. Seriously, that is what this guy said at a school board meeting. He wanted to make homeschoolers miserable thinking this would make us all cave and enroll our kids. He also told the school board he figured that every homeschool family that enrolled in the public school represented $500.00 in additional fundraising money! (Apparently we are all a bunch of bleeding heart, gullible, twits who will instantly have a burning desire to buy candy bards for far more than we can get them at the store, copious amounts of high priced junk, and magazines we don't want). At this particular board meeting, a non-homeschooling parent attending the meeting called him a MORON in front of everyone.

So, it is entirely possible that the above man's stupidity is not an isolated incident of illogical thinking but has spread, like a communicable disease, to Maloney.

Faith

Well, if this guy's thought processes are like the thoughts of the previous superintendent of our local school district, then he thinks that by hassling homeschoolers, they'll enroll in p.s. instead of putting up with the hassle which will increase each district's per head funding and the parents will be spending money on the fundraisers the school foists on the community. Seriously, that is what this guy said at a school board meeting. He wanted to make homeschoolers miserable thinking this would make us all cave and enroll our kids. He also told the school board he figured that every homeschool family that enrolled in the public school represented $500.00 in additional fundraising money! (Apparently we are all a bunch of bleeding heart, gullible, twits who will instantly have a burning desire to buy candy bards for far more than we can get them at the store, copious amounts of high priced junk, and magazines we don't want). At this particular board meeting, a non-homeschooling parent attending the meeting called him a MORON in front of everyone.

So, it is entirely possible that the above man's stupidity is not an isolated incident of illogical thinking but has spread, like a communicable disease, to Maloney.

Faith

:lol: They don't know homeschoolers too well. Look at highly restricted states...plenty of homeschoolers here and the school districts wish they didn't have to deal with us. With as "rebellious" as we are, I doubt most of us would go for all the fundraising carp they want to sell.

I think $ is part of it...I think the comparison is painful. One way to make public education in IL look better is to stifle the competition. How dare you yank your kids from the ps (unless you are wealthy and can afford the private schools ...like many-a-politician btw)...and out-do us! We can find all sorts of excuses for why private schools out-do us, but in your home...with $600 per student per year average...what an outrage! This makes people *question* what we are doing with the ps's!!!

Generally speaking, the more control and influence parents have over the educations of their children, the better the outcomes. This flies in the face of politicians who wish to have control over the ps's (on both sides...and for multiple reasons).

Let's turn the table...Let's hold the ps's accountable to parents. It's the PS's who are failing!

Faith

Dh and I discussed this earlier in the week. If HSing laws in IL became too restrictive, ultimately we would leave the state, taking our tax dollars with us.

Dh and I discussed this earlier in the week. If HSing laws in IL became too restrictive, ultimately we would leave the state, taking our tax dollars with us.

We are in a spot where we are open to moving to IL soon...a highly restrictive law would keep our taxes far far away from IL...too bad...I'd kinda like to be closer to family.

When a representative from Flint tried to introduce a bill for making homeschoolers register and report results to school superintendents, another rep - a homeschooling parent - brought forth hand outs detailing the standardized test scores, college acceptance rates, community volunteerism rates, socialization studies, you name it of homeschooelrs. This guy had really done his research. He let everyone take a moment to peruse the material and then made the comment that the State of Michigan has no business telling those that are doing their jobs correctly how to do that job. Instead, just possibly, the State of Michigan should hire homeschool consultants to help it fix it's own broken, failing, mess.

Since the state is failing miserably on all counts, it has no business calling the homeschooling community into question for it's few failures, when it's own house is in a collosal state of chaos and decay!

It is very difficult for me to imagine that Illinois could possibly be worse than Michigan! It is absolutely disgusting the level of political posturing done in this nation on both state and federal levels over trifles. HELLO YOU NUTSY CUCKOO POLITICIANS!!! DO YOU SEE THE STATE OF THINGS! WHY DON'T YOU ACTUALLY PICK A VITAL ISSUE AND ADDRESS THAT???

Faith

Faith, that is awesome. I completely agree -- it makes no sense to have those who are not succeeding at educating children placed in a position of authority over those are are.

The IL bill was also discussed in another thread recently: SB 136

This happens every 10 years or so in this state. If we, as citizens of this state, do our job of participating in the political process by writing our legislators, educating them on the issues, making sure they know we are a force to be reckoned with, this will not become a problem. However, if we all bury our heads in the sand or expect a "savior" come and make this problem go away, we get what the laws we deserve.

I heard from a relative of a legislator that Sen. Maloney is considering tabling his bill. Keep the pressure up. It is working.

This happens every 10 years or so in this state. If we, as citizens of this state, do our job of participating in the political process by writing our legislators, educating them on the issues, making sure they know we are a force to be reckoned with, this will not become a problem. However, if we all bury our heads in the sand or expect a "savior" come and make this problem go away, we get what the laws we deserve.

:iagree:

I've already written to our state representatives, and I'm spreading the word about this proposed legislation to other homeschooling families so they can get involved as well. I appreciate the individuals and the organizations in IL who work tirelessly to defend our right to educate our children at home.

It was more of a "worse case scenario conversation" - taking the recent tax increases and overall financial picture in IL into account, as well as the fact that our 50+ year old house is sorely in need of remodeling.

I heard from a relative of a legislator that Sen. Maloney is considering tabling his bill. Keep the pressure up. It is working.

Well, so much for him tabling the legislation. A committee hearing is scheduled for Tuesday, February 15th. I so wish I could go to Springfield that day. If it were Wednesday, I could blow some stuff off and have a real life civics lesson, but not on Tuesday.

======================================================================

From the HSLDA E-lert Service...

Illinois: Help Needed Immediately

to Stop Registration of Homeschool Children

Dear HSLDA Members and Friends,

SB 136, Senator Maloney's bill that would require all homeschooled

children to be registered with the government, will have a hearing

before the Senate Education Committee this Tuesday, February 15, at

10:45 a.m.

This is our first meaningful opportunity to stop a bill that would put

every homeschooled child directly under the authority of the Illinois

education bureaucracy.

How much power would the Illinois Department of Education have over

your children? As much as it wants.

SB 136 as written gives the Department unlimited power to mandate what

families submit when they register their children.

You--the individual homeschool families of Illinois--are now a vital,

powerful, line of defense protecting the freedom to homeschool in

Illinois!

ACTION REQUESTED

1. Please attend the hearing on February 15 at 10:45 a.m. in Room 212

in the state Capitol, Springfield, Ill. Feel free to bring

well-behaved children. Please consider taking a day of vacation from

work to protect your freedom. A big crowd will send a powerful

message. Fill out a witness slip as you enter the room if you wish to

speak. We are hoping for a very big crowd! Could you car pool and

bring more people?

2. Prior to the hearing, call your senator if he or she is a committee

member (see list below). Use our Legislative Toolbox at

to find out who your senator is. Even

senators whom you think already oppose the bill need to hear from you!

3. If your senator is not on the committee, call the chairperson, the

vice chairperson and the minority spokesman (see below).

4. Your message can be as simple as: "Please vote NO on SB 136.

Studies show that homeschooling prepares students for college better

than other types of education. There is no need for government to

expand into an area that is already so successful. A new registration

mandate will require taxes to go up to pay for it."

5. Attend the rally before the hearing! ICHE is holding a rally in

the auditorium of the Howlett Building, 501 South 2d St., Springfield,

Il before the hearing. Details will follow!

6. Pass this message on to others!

CONTACT INFORMATION

Chairperson : James T. Meeks

Springfield Office: (217) 782-8066

District Office: (708) 862-1515

Vice-Chairperson : Kimberly A. Lightford

Springfield Office: (217) 782-8505

District Office: (708) 343-7444

Member: Gary Forby

Springfield Office: (217) 782-5509

District Office: (618) 439-2504

Member: Susan Garrett

Springfield Office: (217) 782-3650

District Office: (847) 433-2002

Member: Iris Y. Martinez

Springfield Office: (217) 782-8191

District Office: (773) 463-0720

Member: John G. Mulroe

Springfield Office: (217) 782-1035

District Office: (773) 763-3810

Minority Spokesperson : David Luechtefeld

Springfield Office: (217) 782-8137

District Office: (618) 243-9014

Member: J. Bradley Burzynski

Springfield Office: (217) 782-1977

District Office: (815) 895-6318

Member: Kyle McCarter

Springfield Office: (217) 782-5755

District Office: (217) 428-4068

Member: Suzi Schmidt

Springfield Office: (217) 782-7353

District Office: (224) 372-7465

BACKGROUND

Homeschool leaders met with Sen. Maloney recently, but he has refused

to withdraw his bill. In fact, he plans to amend it so children in

institutional private schools are exempt from registering--so it would

impact only homeschoolers.

He also plans to amend the bill to require families to register with

the regional office of education rather than the state Department of

Education. Obviously, this makes no meaningful difference.

On Feb. 8, the Illinois Review quoted Sen. Maloney as admitting "he

doesn't understand" why homeschoolers are so opposed to SB 136. A big

crowd at the hearing this Tuesday may help him understand!

The Illinois Christian Home Educators Association and HSLDA are united

in opposing this bill.

Thank you for standing with us for freedom!

Sincerely,

Scott Woodruff

HSLDA Senior Counsel

----------------------------------------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER: This is considered a private and confidential message

from HSLDA to its bonafide HSLDA E-lert Service subscribers.

HSLDA cannot attest to the authenticity of copies posted, forwarded,

or sent by any party other than HSLDA.

Freedom in Illinois Threatened!

cid:image_0002

Scott Woodruff Dear HSLDA Members and Friends,

Homeschooling freedom in Illinois is in danger!

Join HSLDA Staff Attorney Scott Woodruff, tomorrow night (Friday, February 11) at 9:00 p.m. ET for an exclusive and urgent @home e-vent dealing with the present danger in the Prairie State.

Invite your friends, family, homeschool groups, and private school acquaintances to this free, open-to-the-public, webinar and discover why Senator Edward Maloney’s proposed Illinois bill SB 136t threatens all private school and homeschooling families with unprecedented state regulation.

Don’t miss this vital resource regarding your freedom—go to HSLDA’s @home e-vents webpage to register.

Until tomorrow night,

Scott Woodruff

HSLDA Senior Counsel

Senator Maloney claims he doesn't understand what the big deal is. We're going to show him. Most homeschoolers I know will be at the hearing in Springfield Tuesday at 10:45. ICHE is also holding a rally before the hearing. Please take a moment to call or e-mail the senators on the committee, as well as the author of the bill. If you go to Illinois Family Institute's website, the link to blast e-mailing all of them is on the front page.

Thank you.

Senator Maloney claims he doesn't understand what the big deal is. We're going to show him. Most homeschoolers I know will be at the hearing in Springfield Tuesday at 10:45.

Great. I wish I could be there!

Please take a moment to call or e-mail the senators on the committee, as well as the author of the bill. If you go to Illinois Family Institute's website, the link to blast e-mailing all of them is on the front page.

Thank you.

It is very important that they hear from homeschoolers. The HOUSE Ad Hoc committee (a group of people who watch legislation for issues affecting homeschoolers) tells us that individual emails are more effective than blast emails from an organization's site. They also encourage us to not be emotional in our tone ... be short, sweet and to the point ... why the bill is bad.

Faith

I love this! Can we compile this for the hearing?

What I find interesting is the list of subjects mentioned in the IL law that permits private and homeschooling is no longer being followed by public schools near us. It states something like "shall be permitted as long as education is similar to what is being taught in the public school in areas such as science, social studies, math, LA, physical education, and the arts". (I.know this wording is far from exact. I'll try to find the law later today to give this some credibility...but it's time to start school and we have a field trip this afternoon to the Shanghai acrobatic circus! We've been studying the Chinese new year.)

Last thing, Cary district next to us had emergency cut backs so they have no recess, shortened the school day, no more art or music and I'm not sure what else. It's very sad. But that means even some public schools are not in compliance.

I agree that IL should be putting their time and money into the schools that are broken. I wonder if Maloney heard about the unschooling idea and didn't understand and thought that's what all homeschooling looks like...I am not an unschooler but this concept is hard for most not familiar with it. Also when I talk to those in my community, including local college profs, they have said they've encountered hsers who are not respectful and expect all learning to be fun but that the majority are leagues ahead in academics and people skills.

Let's keep our contact with the government professional and kind but specific and direct so we represent strong, upstanding members of society.

Great. I wish I could be there!

It is very important that they hear from homeschoolers. The HOUSE Ad Hoc committee (a group of people who watch legislation for issues affecting homeschoolers) tells us that individual emails are more effective than blast emails from an organization's site. They also encourage us to not be emotional in our tone ... be short, sweet and to the point ... why the bill is bad.

Ellen,

Do you have email addresses for the committee members?

I faxed all of them late last night (both in Springfield and at their district offices) and I plan to make phone calls today but I don't have individual email addresses.