Menu

Roll Call

Clearly there has been a gap between the first crawler and the second crawler. Don't you remember what happens when they start to crawl? Life as you know it is OVER.

Your proper response to all attempts to crawl or walk is "STOP IT! What are you THINKING!"

Miss Pam, you are a troublemaker.

You know, it's not so much that I've forgotten as it is that my first crawler just wasn't that bad. We didn't even need to babyproof.

But that's okay. I'm ready to be a real parent now. ;)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Virginia Dawn

I have graduated one who is now 21 and married. She was my artistic, musical, and creative writing child. She was seriously math disabled.

My 17yo ds is my most obviously gifted child who absolutely hates anything to do with art and creative writing. He is currently attending community college and made straight A's last semester, complaining that it wasn't challenging enough. He was slightly obsessive compulsive when young, alphabetizing and putting things in straight lines, and working 1000 piece puzzles. He could remember the day of the week of most significant events in his life, and had most of the globe memorized by the age of 5. He is extremely self motivated, I didn't have to do much teaching. He corrected all his own work and made lists of books for himself to read.

My 14yo Is my tinkerer, inventer, trouble shooter, and is obsessed with military history. He loves practical and wierd science, and often surprises us with the depth of his knowledge.

My 8yo is a mystery to me yet. He is now reading The Fellowship of the Ring, after having read the Hobbit, and he hates to read books that I assign as literature, so I end up reading them to him. He picks up concepts easily and speeds through his work so he can spend most of his time in imaginary play.

The 3yo is currently trying to rule the world. :)

I have been on the K-8 boards for the last 3-4 years. I love the WTM boards. I mostly post on the K-8 curriculum boards. I use to be Karen's testimony. For a long time, there were sooo many Karens on the K-8 curriculum boards. I dropped the Karen and left Testimony.

I love homeschooling. I was called by the Lord God almighty to teach these children. I have been ever since they came out of my womb. You see, my husband and I were not able to have children for years. When God blessed us to have two, we knew that they had to be raised for Him. I love teaching and they love learning. My older one is very intelligent and is above grade level at least in reading. He does well in mathematics too. He scored in the 94th percentile in his IOWA tests. He is a determined young boy.

I love reading what others are using. I have read the Well Trained Mind. I have stopped using it as my guide. I continue to follow many of its principles and my son can't get enough of Story of the World.

Blessings!

I have 3 dc:

ds 13 (nearly 14) in 8th grade; He was my early reader (age 3). He's currently doing Omnibus I, finishing NEM1, just starting Apologia Biology, and is improving his German (fluent receptive, weak in speaking) His real love, though, is piano, and that's where he likes to spend his free time.

dd11 is in 5th grade; She began reading later, but is my book devourer. She's currently using Ambleside, just starting Year 6. She's in Singapore 5A, having despised math for some time, but has sped up lately because of ds5. She's doing Rod and Staff English 6, no formal science. Has a sudden interest in horses and is now our resident expert. She's in her 4th year of piano, but only plays when required.

ds5 is in kindergarten: After trying him out in K math, he has moved forward to 2nd grade. We are using German 1st grade materials for his schooling this year, except for math, which we've changed over for Singapore.

I have been homeschooling for years now, dd in 7th gr.

We use a varity of curriculum. Dh teaches her math and some of the science since that is what he majored in in college.

We live in NE central Texas. In a small , or what used to be a small town.

I like to crochet, I sell afghans of any colors a person wants if I can find the color for 75.00 each. Large very nice afghans if anyone is interested. I make them for Christmas and birthday gifts.

Been married 19 yrs.

Been on this site just a few months.

Linda

This is my fifth anniversary of being on these boards. On the old board, I posted as Donelda. I started homeschooling my dd 5 years ago. I used this board a lot then when I didn't know what to do with a 3-yr-old who was reading. I haven't been here nearly so much lately as I grew more comfortable with homeschooling an accelerated child. We moved to another state this year, so I was here very little over the past several months. I expect to be back much more now that we have a board without all of that SPAM and my dd has gotten more challenging again--especially emotionally. Do 8/9 year old girls turn their brains off?

DD will turn 9 years old in two weeks. She still devours books--she will read them over and over again. She loves D'Aulaire's Greek Myths and Chronicles of Narnia. She is a horse fanatic. We just started horse back riding lessons this fall and she loves it. I thought it would be a phase, but I'm no longer sure of that. She is quite musical and performs in two choirs.

School has become a bit more of a challenge because she no longer loves it. She used to beg to do more school; now I get the groans. I hope it is the age and not my teaching. :( She does well in math, but doesn't like it. She is a good writer, but does not like handwriting. We're starting to hit our stride in Latin. She is typical in this group in that her input level is much higher than her output. I've slowed down in many areas to work on the output--more writing, more discussion, etc.

We use:

Singapore Math sometimes supplementing with Horizons

Latina Christiana

Classical Writing

Misc. grammar and spelling books switching to Harvey's soon.

SOTW and Guerber history

I've been Jenny in Florida since I started hanging out here a couple of years ago.

I started homeschooling when my daughter was about 4, adding in my son when he was old enough. The older one, who turned 13 in December, is now in college in another state through an early entrance program for gifted girls. But, somehow, I'm just as busy with only the one left to teach at home.

My son is now 9 and accelerated to at least some degree in all subjects. He's probably farthest ahead in math, although we've yet to find a ceiling on his reading level. We follow TWTM fairly loosely, with lots of "tweaks" to accomodate his learning style and our family's goals and budget.

In addition to "the basics," he is involved in lots of extracurricular activities, primarily dance, choir, theatre and model rocketry. He loves to read and is currently obsessed with samurai.

--Jenny

Wow! Love the new boards :) My name is Laurie and I am happily married to my DH of almost 12 years and homeschooling my two DDs, 6yo and almost 4 yo.

We figured out early on that DD#1 was well ahead of where all of the books said she should be, and once I heard about WTM we knew that it was a perfect fit for our family. DD#2 is following in big sis' footsteps and is actually 6-12 mos. ahead of where DD#1 was at this age!

I enjoy knitting and crochet (both new hobbies) and also volunteer my time at church and with our local La Leche League.

I Ka Pono (Cultivate the Goodness)

~Laurie in VA

Hi there. I only posted on the old board a couple times, but found it to be very informative as I lurked :). I am new to this and reading about it as much as I can so I can give my boys the advantage my dh and I did not have due to slippng through the cracks in ps. I am trying to find a balance between supplying them with the input they need yet, not making it too much of a challenge that they then begin to lose interest.

Ds 6.99 (7 on 1/25) came out of the womb talking. He loves to read (I think around a 4th grade level), play with playmobil, draw, and learn.

Ds 4.5 is very physical. He loves to build things with just about anything, numbers, cooking, and making up songs.

Here's to our journey!

I was MZ on the old board, though I posted only a handful of times in the 2.5 years IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve been lurking. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m working on being less shy. :) I am a childrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s author and would love advice on getting more connected with the homeschool world. Our children are quite young and we are learning as we go.

DS (4) taught himself to read at 2 and enjoys language arts, math, and geography.

DD (2.5) is showing signs of reading readiness and enjoys language and fine arts and tea parties.

DS (0.5) is working on crawling and enjoys giggling and listening to poetry and music.

I have greatly appreciated all of your insight and encouragement. Thanks for letting me participate,

MZ

http://www.BeowulfTheBook.com

I'm Peso, homeschooling two daughters, eldest (gr 4) accelerated 2 or 3 grades in LA and history, youngest (gr K) accelerated 2 grades in math and even more in science (of course, it *couldn't* be the same subjects!) - we've always homeschooled, except for a brief time in K with my eldest, who turned 10 yesterday!

We're headed the LCC way, but not necessarily with LCC recommendations - math, for example, will never be a rote/drill program for us, the more games the better! We do love SOTW, but on audio, and we do the projects but not the written stuff. My girls write copious amounts of imaginative work, so I haven't stressed it - I will look at SWB's writing program though, since it spans such a wide range of ages - I'd probably use it for prompts without the workbooks... I'm also looking into bravewriter, which might suit us better...

The youngest plays violin, the eldest piano, they both swim and goof around quite a bit :)

It's a pretty great life, all in all...

Thanks for sharing!

Penny

I'm Jennifer, homeschooling mom of two sons. My oldest is 16, as of next week, is learning how to drive and is on track to graduate next January. He works at our church a good 10-12 hours each week as a "techie", designing and running the lights for 3 services, schlepping amplifiers and hooking things up to the sound system. He is active in a local youth theater troupe, either on stage or off, and is going to pursue lighting design as a major in college. My youngest is 12, in 7th grade. He is an avid reader of all things fantasy, still loves legos, loves to draw, is on a robotics team and is your basic Dungeons and Dragons, World of Warcraft geek. We are starting our 9th year of homeschooling -- hard to believe its been so long!

I mainly hang out at the high school board, but I stop by this board on occasion as I remember what it is to have young, accelerated, non-traditional learners. We were very "unschooly" until the kids each got to be about 4th or 5th grade, with school becoming more and more formal with each year. It has worked well for us.

Well I typed up one intro, but somehow lost it. I'm homeschooling 2 boys, ages 6 1/2 and 8 (almost 9). I'm a biologist and I was working part-time at-home until last year when I lost my job. I just interviewed for another part-time at-home job, but am not sure if I'll get it. I'm not sure I want the job anyway, although we could use the money.

My oldest ds loves history and science, and is fairly good at math although he doesn't like it. He really struggles with handwriting and spelling. He has had fine motor problems and sensory issues for most of his life. He had a hard time with reading, but now reads very well and says that he loves it. He likes sports, although he is not very good at them, and loves legos and most of all loves "pretend" games.

My younger ds had no trouble with learning to read, although he claims he doesn't like to read. He has a harder time with math than his older brother and he doesn't really like history. He also loves legos, hot wheels and board games. He sometimes likes his brother's pretend games, but not often enough to please older bro.

Jean

My activation email went straight to the spam folder, so I'm late re-introducing.

I've been around here for 6 years now (wow!), since I pulled my then 2nd grader from school, then went to the library looking for what to do! Luckily, I immediately found WTM and have been happily modifying it ever since.

My dd, now 14, is profoundly gifted and loves the verbal side way more than the math (altho math is pretty strong too). She has studied French and Latin since early on, and now approaching high school, this is really paying off. Up until this year, I'd have sworn she'd end up as a classics, literature, or urban design prof, but now harp has really come on strong (due to attracting favorable comments from a harp prof at a recital). Okay, enough bragging.

Me, I never expected to homeschool, and am not sure I've made my peace with it yet. I had her at 40, expected to return to my work as a freelance writer as soon as she went to school. She was such a demanding baby/little kid that I couldn't do anything when she was little!

Anyway, I did manage to crank out First Start French for Memoria Press, am working on a second volume, and have become very interested in writing on home schooling (previously I focused on health care, architecture, real estate, and social policy issues).

My interests are legion, but include travel, Japanese and French culture, needlearts (hubby once made a list of 35 that I've at least attempted), gardening, sumi-e, our too-many pets, environmental issues and participation in our Quaker meeting.

I have learned so much from the diversity of opinions on this list, and am so grateful for the support you all give.

Danielle

http://www.memoriapress.com/descriptions/first-start-french.html

Hi all,

I'm Jill. I'm here. I am homeschooling a 6 yr old son. I'm loosely utilizing WTM in more of an unschooling way right now though we do go through the SOTW chronologically. Thank you for all the many ideas and links I have gleaned from the old archives!

Jill

Hi! I was an infrequent poster on the old boards, but I'm looking forward to using this new format!

I homeschool our 12 and 10 year old daughters. It is my younger child who is advanced. I can't quantify her abilities really in levels or years, except to say that she has a photographic memory, an insatiable curiousity, and comprehension beyond her years. Additionally, she is extremely sensitive, an independent learner, and a homebody. She gets it, whatever 'it' is, the first time she learns it, but will continue to ask questions about it, rephrasing questions days later, repeating entire conversations as she plays it over in her mind. She cannot do math silently, but will disappear into a novel with nary a peep. She can spell words she cannot define or pronounce.

My 12 year old is perfectly typical, and tolerates her sister's quirks. :p It isn't unusual to hear the elder asking her little sis for spelling help.

Thanks for letting me hang out here.

I'm cin(dy) and I'm homeschooling my 2 girls. Piper was reading at 3 1/2. She is 6 and is currently doign R&S math & reading, 2, grammar, & SOTW 1. She loves problem solving stuff, so I am working her through Primarily Creativity, Thinking and Logiv, 2 word game books that I found and Mind Benders 2. I do one page from each per week. She also loves spelling, but doesn't need it. I have spelling power, and each week we have a 'pre-test' where I go through the page having her spell words. WHen I get around 15 that she miss spelled, I have her spelling list. I've tried to discontinue spelling, but she REALLY loves it (I think it strokes her ego).

She also LOVES reading, and I've been really working hard to find books AT THE LIBRARY that are appropriate for her. She's VERY sensitive and still has night terrors/mares so we have to be somewhat careful. In addition to the fact that alot of the books are just twaddle :rolleyes: I'm goign to turn her lose on the LIttle House books soon.

If you've read this far, THANKS!!! I know she's not as far ahead as some of your kids, but it's still nice to be able to share with others who are in the same boat, and won't think I"m bragging.

Hi

I was gone all weekend and when I came back... BAM!! Different board!

I mostly lurked on the last board because, well, I have no good reason, I just really love knowing other people have similar experiences!. I will try and participate a bit more in the future.

I have a 12yo dd who used to be considered 2e when she was little, but not anymore, I think she's just a regular e now;) We have homeschooled since halfway through 3rd grade and she wants to continue through HS. She is considered accelerated by everyone but me (I think plenty of kids her age are capable of higher level work than are receiving higher level work, she is just lucky) and is also taking classes at the local CC for French and Physical Geography. She chose physical geography this semester because it had a lab and, "I thought every 7th grader took Earth science!" It has, fortunately, been a really great experience for her.

Thank you all for sharing!

Same name from old board. I actually just posting so I can be a "larvae"-LOL I posted on the accelerated board occasionally and special needs. My son has asperger's so he fits in both categories. I usually posted to find suggestions for math and science which are my son's interests. the folks on the boards were always so helpful.

It isn't as easy to read as the old board was. I like seeing the whole thing at once, which you can't do here without openning a post, and the format gives me a headache. Very sad.

Hi Nan - This is Jill as in Jill in ND which I failed to mention in my first RollCall post.

You might want to explore the User Control Panel:Subscriptions sometime. I think you can set up some options for the forums there. "email digest daily" or "weekly" or no email notification but the threads will be stored in your personal folders - I like it for keeping up with threads from multiple areas on this kind of board that has many useful areas. I don't know if there are other viewing options, sorry but I thought I'd throw this out there for you and others. You can also see all posts by one author or of your own and the search functions are good. A Thread can be "Stickied" so it's always at the top of the forum. This is great for late-comers like me to go thru old subjects and read the history of subject which was pretty tough to catch up on in the other format. But I don't throw this out to argue, I swear! I just wondered if it might help your use of it all. :) Jill

My name is Dorothy. I live in Central Texas. I have a 12 yo ds and a 8 yo ds. My 8 yo ds is the accelerated one. Although he doesn't seem to be as accelerated as many others on this board. He has never been tested for giftedness. He started reading immediately after he turned 4. He basically taught himself to read. But he really doesn't like to sit still to read. He is really more accelerated in math and science. He was doing multiple digit multiplication and long division by the end of first grade, and remembers everything he learns in science. What makes me think he may be gifted is his logic skills. He loves the mind trap game and makes up his own mind traps. He has a very advanced sense of humor and loves word puns. My 12 yo ds has learning problems (another story for another board) and my 8 yo is quickly passing him up. Glad to be here and meet y'all

Greetings, I would not call my kids gifted but they both are ahead in a number of areas for their age, especially my youngest. DD 12 loves to read and her comprehension has tested on a college level. We are already using high school level LL as the SL readers are good, but she flies through them. My youngest dd seven is the one ahead in almost everything but writing (on grade level). She is flying through math (almost done with Singapore 3), reading on a 5-6 grade level, doing middle school science :eek:. I hope I can keep up with her. So, my question always is... are they gifted or is it that in homeschooling them, they are getting exposed to resources and opportunities that they would otherwise not have in public school?

I live just north of downtown Colorado Springs -- have been here for almost 3 years now. Before that, we lived in Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana and Kansas. We homeschooled our boys using an ecletic mix based around the Well Trained Mind, but unfortunately both kids have moved on to other opportunities.

My oldest is completing his first year of a two year IB program at the United World College of the Atlantic in Wales (full scholarship for all kids accepted). He absolutely loves it -- and his unique background from homeschooling really set him apart.

My youngest is completing 8th grade at the local middle school where he is at the top of his class in a middle years IB program. Homeschooling was not a good fit for this kid (he is definitely extrinsically motivated!) but the years that we did homeschool set an excellent foundation and I would change a thing. It seems like the IB middle years program here takes quite a few kids who were homeschooled for elementary. He is applying to attend a boarding school for high school -- so we really don't know where he will be next year.

I enjoyed reading the forums and I pop in every now and then to catch up -- I am now back in school to get my elementary education degree and teaching license, so hopefully I can be one of those "homeschool friendly" teachers in the future.

Stef

I used to be Ellen in Ft. Lauderdale, and for a while I was Ellen from Ft. Lauderdale in CA, or something like that.

DD 8 is great with languages. We're doing Elementary Greek 1 this year, and Spanish with La Clase Divertida. She loves to read, play the piano, and draw.

DD 3 likes to play Barbies, or with any kind of dolls and stuffed animals. The dolls act out fairy tales and such. She's not as bothered by big bad wolves as her sister was at that age, so we can read lots of fun stories.

Hi... I was a couple of different names on the old boards, I think I tried just "Colleen" when I first joined in early 2003, but quickly realized there were already several others. Then I was "Colleen in VA" until someone else joined and took that name. I've been "Colleen in SEVA" (as in from Southeast Virginia) for a couple of years, and to my knowledge nobody else has used that name.

I first joined when my oldest was 19 months. I remember posting a question something like "what games do you play with your toddlers" and several people posted that their kids already knew their letters at that age and played letter/word games. I was astounded! As a former 1st grade teacher, it had never occurred to me to tell a 1 year old what the names of the letters were. So I tried, and he knew all 52 letters by name and sound within a couple of weeks. He started reading cvc words about a year later, and took off from there.

Blue is 6.5 and is currently working at various levels of "above grade level". I did have him tested this past summer, and while the results didn't tell me anything I didn't already know (or at least suspect), it was a real confidence boost to know that what we are doing is working for him. He enjoys math and science, he tolerates history and reading, and though he professes to hate writing, he will often create lists of rules for his younger brothers. I am still able to meet his needs at home, but I am exploring options for his future education (Davidson Young Scholars, EPGY, CFGE@WM, etc).

Green seems to have a real gift for math, he "gets" math and can sometimes answer math drills quicker than my oldest. He has known all of the letters and sounds for a long time, but tells me he doesn't want to learn to read so we haven't started officially working on it (little does he know that when he asks me how to spell a word and then writes it, he is learning to read! *evil laugh*). He is also my little computer scientist -- he can log onto his own account, go to websites, and then enter my oldest son's username and password just by having watched him type it in. It is a little scary for a soon-to-be-4-yo!

Yellow is an early and non-stop talker. He has no interest in letters, or in potty training, and has no concept of number other than "one" and "not one" (as in -- hold up one object and he can tell you it is 1, but hold up 2 or more and he might say it is 7). He is my little cuddlebug, and has these big, bright, blue eyes that can melt your heart. He wants to "do school" like his big brothers, so he cuts and glues and colors to his heart's content.

Red is newly-turned-one-year and helps us all by taking long naps so we can do schoolwork. He has his own little corner of the school room with toys that don't make noise or have small pieces. He is our last, so I am not really in a hurry for him to leave the baby phase.

Clearly there has been a gap between the first crawler and the second crawler. Don't you remember what happens when they start to crawl? Life as you know it is OVER.

Your proper response to all attempts to crawl or walk is "STOP IT! What are you THINKING!"

When my second one was born, I refused to put her down on her tummy, thinking if I didn't give her the chance to develop her muscles, I'd have more time before I had to baby-proof the house. Didn't work. She crawled even earlier than her big sister.

10 yo dd 5th gr.: is on preteam gymnastics and dance ministry at church

8 yo ds, 3rd gr.: Wolf (cubscouts), Upward basketball

6 yp dd, 1st gr.: gymnstics and loves High School musical!

3 yo dd, preK: gymnastics and loves to sing (HSM of course)

We have always used Saxon math and I love it. Studying Latin with LC.

Started Greek with Hupogrammon, CW-Aesop A & B, Memoria Press' Christian Studies, Roman History and Copywork (for the 6 yo), SOTW 4 and Vocab. Roots (5th grade). Currently reading (in order of each child): The Hobbit, C.S. Lewis Perelandia series, (starting Bridge To Terebithia with 6 yo.)

the youngest wants to learn to read so bad. Her attention span is not ready, but I expect her to learn starting in the fall. (100 Easy Lessons)

I'm a registered newbie but have been gleaning from these forums for the past 10 months or so - ever since I was beginning to seriously consider homeschooling for my (then) 3yo dd and came across WTM in the library.

We presently have two kids. Dd1 is 4 years old, happy, hyper, and talkative, cruising through OPGTR and Saxon Math K and willingly doing handwriting (ZB-K), if not enthusiastic about it. Her biggest gifts right now are vocab and reading. My husband and I used to try to talk over her head by using big words. Doesn't work anymore. ("Ha!")

Dd2 is 1 1/2 years old and exploring the basics of stripping. When does this stage end?!?!?

My outside interests are music (voice), worship, handwork, and baking. We're presently in MO, but that tends to change frequently, so don't depend on it.

Just at the beginning of the journey and appreciative of all your wisdom!! :)

and just recently started posting some. I have a 19 year old daughter who was homeschooled since fifth grade. (See my other post for more information about our situation). I am also educating myself due to a poor public school education many years ago. I have been a single mother for most of my daughter's life and have been a cashier at Wal-Mart for three years and five days now.

DS 16yo/ 10th grade grifted, dyslexic under-achiever :confused:

SL 200 Lit, Toolbook for Prose and Poetry, Journalism tutorial, Kumon LA; MUS Alg2; Apologia Marine Biology; World Geography; Latin

DS 14yo/ 9th grade lovebug, not-so-average joe :rolleyes:

McDougal Littell Lit, Fairview Comp, Steps to Good Grammar, Apples 2 Spelling; MUS Alg2; Apologia Physical Science; Holt Biology; Power Basics World History 2; Spanish Culture and Conversation tutorial; Art Classes

DS 5yo/ PK driven, motor-mouth, wiggle-worm :p

OPGTR, Bob Books; lots of math (because it is his second love right after running fast)- Kumon Level A, MUS Alpha, Singapore PM finishing 1A, Kumon Workbooks Telling Time and Money, Flash Cards, Worksheets based on What Your First Grader Needs to Know; children's books for science; social studies based on What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know; Farsi Appreciation; 1-day/ week homeschool enrichment

I lurk around the boards... but have been gone (due to heavy work load) for a couple of months. Wow! a lot can happen in that time.

We have four children:

DS8/ 3rd grade. Works 1-2 years above grade level in core subjects, at grade level in non-core. Not self motivated, easilly distracted -- but when he wants to do school, MAN can he breeze through it. He is easilly my most frustrating student only because I know what he can do, and hate it when he won't apply himself. Currently using K12, Latin for Children, Vertias Bible, Piano Lessons

DD6/K. Working 1-2 years above grade level in math & reading. Is our little artist, and we are working to encourage that as much as possilbe. Abeka Reading, Abeka Penmanship, Abeka Math, Veritas Bible, Piano)

DS4/Pre-K. Working on K-level materials easilly, and will be grouped with older sister for the next few years on history/science/latin, etc. Abeka Reading, Penmanship & Math, Veritas Bible

DD1.5/Toddlerhood. She's all about vocabulary.

I am Testimony here too.

My older son is age 10 years old. He tests well. He tested in the 94th percentile in the IOWAs. I don't know if that makes him accelerated, but he seems to breeze through his topics. We use for him Singapore Math, He reads the Plutarch, Tales from Shakespeare, and Story of the World all on his own. He does Building Thinking Skills and Mind Benders for logic. I am using the internet to teach grammar, but I must change it.

My younger son who is 8 years old struggles. So, I look here mostly for my older son.

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I have not been active on this board before but that may change. ;)

I have one daughter who is 6 1/2 and doing mostly 3rd grade work, I suppose--if I was into grade levels. She began reading at 3yo and taking piano lessons a couple of weeks after she turned 4yo. She is quite at ease in performing--in fact, performing for people is when she really shines.

She is people oriented in her studies also; she would recognize the presidents on coins before she knew the names of the coins. She also loves geography and forces of nature--well, just about anything with science really.

I don't know if she is actually an accelerated learner or just has an amazing memory and desire to connect things with people and animals. It seems the subjects that rely more on memorization and communication are the ones where she excels, so she is easily learning French, Latin, Greek and Sign Language simultaneously. Math, being more conceptual, was a bit more challenging for her last year, but now she is doing very well in it also.

We have 3dc, dd9 the artist, advanced in reading (9th grade level), ds7 has a head for math and Lego structures, and dd5 gifted in physical coordination and a deep thinker - writes really well but cannot read well yet. (opposite of other two)

We've always homeschooled. I spend most of the time on the general board as the subjects are so interesting or amusing.

I occasionally posted on the old board as Ann, however I found that there was another Ann, so now I am Kanga. I have have always homeschooled my 3 children.

Kangatwo (17) is thoughtful, imaginative, and sarcastic. She has been taking classes at the cc for 2 years and has recently been hired by the college to tutor math. She will be majoring in Biochemistry at the local university next year.

Tigger (15) is bright, entertaining, energetic, and ahead in every subject except math. My dh (who has advanced degrees in Math and Engineering) tells me not to worry about my son's math ability because he hated math until he took Calculus in college.

Roo (1) has kept his New Year's resolution to give up napping.

• 1 month later...

it never occurred to me to do a hello post & I now know I can jump into an open thread & add:)

dd is working several grades ahead in most subjects, a music nut and quite possible more clever than I

started hs formally w/WTM in '04, one dd now 8, I've gleaned info from this forum since settling on the WTM. I can not remember who has helped me (sorry). I've only posted 2 or 3 times in the last 3 or 4 years- I have no idea who I might have posted as... always forget to write down passwords & user names- --most recently posted here last fall with what I'm sure was a serious question and it was thoughtfully answered promptly--

so, HELLO & GREETINGS & Thank you for your thoughts.

hrathech on the other board.

I have a 10yo dd, whom doesn't like being in "grade 5" and thinks I should let her skip a year...I tell her she's not leaving home for college when she's 15 or 16, so what's the point? She's never been to PS, except to participate in the orchestra program.

We're using Sonlight 6 this year, she's working in Singapore 6B, using Apologia General Science, Henle Latin 1st year, Wordsmith, God's Gift of language for grammar, we do spelling from the internet (Scripp's), Vocab from Classical Roots B, and a bunch of other stuff. She's a violinist and came 2nd in the regional spelling bee this year. An avid reader (presently entranced with LOTR), and still playing with dolls, which makes me happy.

She tests really well. We've used CAT tests. I will try testing her with the grade 8 level in a month or two; grade 7 test proved to be not much of a challenge.

I'm a pharmacist, my dh is a SAHD, and between HSing and my job, I have no time. I should not be taking so much time on this board!;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest czechdrum

I'm new to these forums. Our homeschooling approach is eclectic, but includes a lot of the classical resources used in the WTM method.

DS8 has never been in school and is profoundly gifted. He works at the middle/high school level in most subjects, and was recently accepted into the Davidson Young Scholars program.

Most of our local homeschooling friends are age-peers for DS but are working on 1st-3rd grade level for lessons. It helps to have internet resources where I can research and seek opinions on various curricula and learning approaches (I just posted a question about algebra on the HS board) because my friends are using early elementary curricula.

I'm looking forward to being part of this community and learning from all of you.

Tara

Guest Christina in ME

Hi,

I am still Christina in ME. Took a break from the boards for awhile, and came back to new boards.

I have 9 children, 8 still at home. Oldest is clepping her way through college. Loves literature and history and politics.

Findurin, 17, still needs to get his license. Loves history, and Star Wars, and Star Trek, and LOTRO. He is basically figuring out what he wants to do with his life.

Oldest 2 have been tested. None of the others have.

Durfin, 15, is very V/S. Reads very slowly and doesn't do it often. Favorite books are Eragon and Eldest. He loves LOTRO and anything to do with the computer. He is doing AO/HEO Y9, MEP, and Greek. And loves sports.

Bedoc, 12 almost 13, is doing AO/HEO 7/8, and Singapore math and science. He is in CAP, and loves science fiction and LOTRO. He also takes ballet.

Aereleth, 10, is my next girl (oldest is girl, all others are boys). She is doing Singapore math, and AO Y5 for the rest of it, although she is doing Galore Park for French. Still working on Latin. Loves to sing and dance, and is taking ballet.

Thing 1 and Thing 2 are 8. They are struggling with reading, and doing AO Y3 for everything else. They love legos, playmobil, and everything their older brothers like. They do ballet and ski.

Next comes the 6 yo and he is doing AO Y1, follows his brothers around is learning to read. He also loves legos, playmobil,.....

Finally our little Noobie, who is 3 going on 4. He loves to play War with mom, and keep up with his brothers. He wants to do "school" and sometimes we sit down and do something with him. Nothing formal for him yet, but he keeps us on our toes. Spoiled rotten and loving it.

Christina

Who is very seriously considering using Thinkwell for uppper level math and science courses, since I have a hard time making those part of our reality - Dh is the science/math guy and he needs to unwind when he comes home (back to the computers....)

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I have been reading the forum messages occasionally, but I have not posted any message yet.

I have been homeschooling my 2 kids for almost 4 years. I was born in a different country and educated there until I moved to USA about 10 years ago. Please excuse any grammatic error you may find in my posting since English is my 2nd language. Yes, I took the challenge to homeschool my kids. Fortunately my husband was born here and educated here.

My older one is DS8 who loves math, history, chess, reading and any sport.

My younger one is DD6 who loves reading, playing voilin, singing, acting, and creating things with her hands.

Harmony

Hi! I have 4 kids (ages 2,4,7,9).

My 9yo is the reason I began homeschooling 3 years ago. He was in PS for K and 1st, but could not stand it any longer. The K teacher was wonderful at giving him individualized instruction - both acceleration and enrichment, but the next year the staff decided that he was far too advanced for them to make the effort, so they told me that the kids would eventually catch up and that he should try to fit in. Not acceptable, so I pulled him out. This is the first year I am hsing all of the kids (my 7yo was pulled for social reasons starting this year). I was previously a teacher in PS, so I don't know why it took me so long to realize that homeschooling was best for my kids, but now my eyes are opened and I am loving my 3rd year of hsing and hope to never stop :)

ds9 is (obviously) gifted. He is my "mathy" kid, loves chess & soccer, and is one of those "all-around" kind of kids... much cooler than Dh and I were at that age!

dd7 is artistic, verbal, and the most intuitive person I have ever known. She has the most loving heart, and loves Jesus more than anyone or anything. Dh and I believe that she will probably end up on a mission field someday like her Godparents!

ds4 is a boisterous, fun-loving, tag-along who loves attention! He loves doing "school" especially science projects... He IS "Sid the Science Kid".

ds2 is independent, self-sufficient, and very sneaky. He looks up to his big siblings and learns VERY quickly. He loves puzzles just like ds9 did... we suspect he may also be gifted.

Hi! What a nice thread to get to know everyone. I ended up over here in a cross post to another forum regarding the EPGY program. I also was learning a lot in my second year of homeschooling and decided to stay. :) I currently have five children at home, and am schooling four of them.

My oldest DD9 is my science buff. She is also very good in math and loves anything related to animals, insects, pokemon, and recently discovered fiction. She has an AS diagnosis and receives related speech and language services from the PS each morning, she homeschools all her other subjects at a middle school and high school level. Needless to say, mom is 'back in school' too, in order to keep up. :lol:

My twin DD6's are next in line and opposites in almost every way. The 'older' is a lot like her older sister and into science, reading, animals, and pokemon. She is on the spectrum, but is also young so we are just watching her. She is an avid reader and the one to question everything.

Her sister is my artist and my outside thinker. She struggles more than the others but tests just as advanced as them. Both twins have mild CP but are doing great so we are just monitoring her for any learning disabilities. She is my fine motor child as she had the most gross motor delays when younger.

My DS4 is my youngest in school and is all boy right now. :) He of course loves everything boy, dirt, cars, trains. He is also advanced academically but attends the PS for speech services each morning.

My soon to be DS2, is busy getting into everything, coloring on all his sibs school work, and otherwise talking up a storm, usually to give his sisters a piece of his mind.

What we are using is below.

Hi. I'm Jenny.

I'm homeschooling 2 girls. They've never been to school and they are both accelerated, but the oldest is a much quicker learner than her sister. I've been lurking on this board and occasionally posting for years. I've never posted in the other forums.

My oldest is 9, she is into reading, writing stories, fashion design(she is a Project Runway fan) and anything to do with science.

My youngest is 7, she loves to write and illustrate stories, anything to do with animals and dress up. She excels at math, but would skip it if I let her.

Korin here....

attempting to HS my 2 boys, obviously TaGlets, but as I am not a "tester" I will never know just how far outside the realm of normalcy they are. :tongue_smilie:

I have been HSing since the beginning and plan on doing it as long as possible.

I also am on the board of a gifted enrichment program in my town, http://www.supersaturday.org, which starts again tomorrow, so I really should be getting all my stuff together for that!

my younger is the outwardly obviously more gifted of the two, but you never know with those intense, quiet (and often, angry) ones.

I come from a long line of weird, smarties who like to do things VERY outside the norm.

I wish I had time to read through all these posts!

Hi, ,I've been a :lurk5: for the last year and have learned alot here.

We have homeschooled since the beginning. Our 4 dds are 13,12,9,and 4. We only realized about a year and a half ago how advanced our girls are - we thought what they were doing was *normal* ( I still think they're not that unusual for hslrs).

Thanks to all of you who've BTDT for the advice on testing/etc. It's been really helpful.

I hope to get to know you all more this year - I'll also be over on the high school board quite a bit :001_smile:.

-Jen

I only have one ds5-about-to-turn-6. He went to a Montessori preschool where he got so far ahead that when the owners closed the school to retire there was no way I could put him in public school. Especially since he missed the age cutoff, so he would have been put in pre k when he was doing 1st grade work. :glare:

We are now in our 2nd year of homeschooling and are currently working on keeping up with everything we want to do. :D We are also a MMA (martial arts) family - ds, dh, and I all take classes at the same dojo. I have the highest belt. :tongue_smilie:

Glad to meet everyone! I have been on this board for a little while now, but it can be hard to keep track of who is who sometimes.

Hi!

I have two gifted little girls. Well, I don't know if I'll do any official testing, but I'm mildly/moderately gifted (right on the line, lol), and from the Hoagies lists dd1 is right there, too. She's 4, loves to read, is happily learning ASL & French, loves dance and music (has perfect pitch/rhythm), and is currently addicted to anatomy study. We unschooled until she turned 4, and now we're relaxed but doing much more and she is absorbing it like a sponge, remembering and applying after the first explanation.

Her little sister is 2, and might qualify as 2E. She has "severe sensory issues" and has been in therapy almost all year, and is still speech delayed/signs a great deal. However, when she does learn it's explosive. No signs to hundreds in 4 months. No letters to all letters by name, upper and lower, in 2 weeks. No letter sounds to all letter sounds in a week. No numbers to counting 1-10 (into the teens now) in two weeks. That sort of thing. And she retains all of it. It's kind of scary. She is addicted to Starfall. If she had her way we would sit on it all. day. long. every. single. day. Or building tall block towers over and over.

And I work full-time right now so they keep me busy :D.

Hi! I have been Arch at Home forever. Arch is short for Architect. I work part-time and on a good week I work over half my time from home.

We have 3 children, dd 10, dd 8, and ds6. They all have late summer/early fall birthdays. Two out of the three technically miss the local school cutoff and the third just makes it by 3 days. We have chosen to put all three in the year ahead thus qualifying them as accellerated. We have not tested.

Dd 10 loves Shakespeare, American Girl, and Girl Scouts. She all takes ballet.

Dd 8 pursues interests similar to her sister's without the ballet. She tends to be more of a tomboy but is struggling to find her own interests.

Ds 6 likes to create. All trash and recycling put together with duct taper or glue is fair game. He also really likes vehicles.

The kids are all in a homeschool bowling league.

We are a family of visual spatial learners. It took awhile for us to hit our groove and figure out curriculum that works but things are going well now. I am on the look out for logic stage programs and am struggling with English and History in particular though Math will be a problem after we finish Singapore 6.