Menu

How can a nursing mother increase her milk supply?

I didn't know where else to ask! :) I really need help on behalf of a friend.

She just had her fifth child a couple of weeks ago. The doctors insisted on inducing even though she was a couple weeks short of her due date, because according to the ultrasound, the baby had stopped growing, and they were concerned that the placenta was degrading. She was born at about 5-1/2 pounds.

Because she is so tiny, the doctors instructed my friend to feed her every two hours. That means friend is getting an hour of sleep at a time, at most. And she has four other children and an aging mother to care for. Her husband did get some time off of work, and friends have been bringing meals, but still. She is utterly exhausted.

The baby had an appointment with the ped yesterday, and her weight has actually gone down to just 5 pounds 2 ounces -- less than birth weight. Now I know it's normal for newborns to lose a little weight, but she's more than two weeks old now, so I would think she would be past that point and gaining again. Plus, an 8 pound baby losing a few ounces is just not the same as a 5 pound baby doing so! So now she is not only exhausted, but also frustrated and worried.

The doctor told her she should either get out of her house and go stay with a friend for a few days, or hire a full-time nanny. I offered to let her stay with me, but then I got sick, so that's not an option. Luckily, a retired friend from out of state is going to come and stay with her for awhile! Yay!

This is a very long-winded explanation, but basically she is also wondering about particular foods or anything else she can do to increase her milk supply. The doc instructed her to pump after each feeding, and add formula if needed, to get two ounces. Then she's to bottle feed that in addition to what the baby is able to get from nursing. But she really wants to be able to produce enough milk that she doesn't need to use the formula.

Any thoughts about increasing her milk supply? I read in Nourishing Traditions that quinoa was used for this purpose. I know that largely it's a matter of simply getting enough calories, but I've also heard that certain foods are known to help, and others to hinder, milk production. Can you let me know what she should avoid as well? I've heard that the herb sage should really be avoided by b/f mothers. Is this true? ANY other advice or words of wisdom are appreciated! And if you pray, prayers are appreciated as well.

Thank you!

Greta

On my way out the door - but wanted to ask quickly - do you know the baby's lowest weight? Yes, babe was born at 88 ounces and is now 82 ounces. BUT, if the lowest weight was 5 pounds, then, babe IS gaining weight. KWIM?

My youngest did not regain birth weight until she was nearly a month old. Nobody worried too much (thank God - I can't imagine the stress!). As long as she had a steady weight gain, they were okay. My dd continued to gain slowly. Now, at 5, she's a TINY thing.

More to say, but I've got to run!!!

Kellymom is a great place to look. Starch foods... Real potatoes.... Oatmeal... and protein. If she is into herbs, there are some to try for milk, too. Did she have a midwife? They might suggest some herbs. (so you have a proper dosage...etc..) There is a tea called "mother's milk" that you could get some for her. I met someone who told me about their milk problem.... I took over a bag of quality oats, potatoes, teas... etc.... :) A mother's helper for the helpers would be good... Also, suggest putting baby in sling.... keep next to n*pple, which allows the baby to "suckle" all the time, even while sleeping..... helping to suckle. I birthed a 10lb 3 oz baby... which at all day long...and had a paci.... so.. it's tiring... but it seems like really big... and really little... just need to "suckle at the br**st" Lots of liquids for mom, too. At our hospital they offer a really big 32oz cup, so you can realize when you're drinking enough.

Oh... and regardless of what you think about sleeping in bed... those relaxing times of baby nursing on mom all night.... it's part of putting on the weight :)

Edited by NayfiesMama
OH yes, agree with the beer thing. Dark is best... Good Quality, of course ;) (Yuck... but it helps :)

Oatmeal and mother's milk tea (herbal) both are lactogenic. She should also be drinking a ton of water.

Have her contact the La Leche League in her area. She really does need to breast feed on demand, or offering every 2-3 hours if baby isn't demanding, and LLL can give her the support & encouragement she needs.

I'm more concerned, based on what you've shared, that she's not having a supply issue so much as a teeny baby issue.

On my way out the door - but wanted to ask quickly - do you know the baby's lowest weight? Yes, babe was born at 88 ounces and is now 82 ounces. BUT, if the lowest weight was 5 pounds, then, babe IS gaining weight. KWIM?

Her current weight is the lowest she's been since birth. Sorry, I didn't explain that clearly!

Bless her heart. I was in a very similar situation about 4 years ago with my little 7th and was completely sleep deprived. :tongue_smilie: My sole purpose was to feed that little girl and get her to nurse!

*Oatmeal every morning for breakfast (and sometimes lunch or snack.) It's easy to make and quick to eat.

*fenugreek -- completely natural, widely recommended to help increase milk supply. It will make her breath, ur*ne and armpits smell like maple syrup. ;)

*lots of water

The ladies on this board recommended http://www.kellymom.com. It was a lifesaver! Lots of information that she could read while she's nursing the little one.

Does she have folks bringing in meals, paper plates and ready-to-eat lunch food for her other dc? That would be a huge help.

Lisa

P.S. Just remembered something about blackstrap molasses. I never took this though.

Kellymom is a great place to look. Starch foods... Real potatoes.... Oatmeal... and protein. If she is into herbs, there are some to try for milk, too. Did she have a midwife? They might suggest some herbs. (so you have a proper dosage...etc..) There is a tea called "mother's milk" that you could get some for her. I met someone who told me about their milk problem.... I took over a bag of quality oats, potatoes, teas... etc.... :) A mother's helper for the helpers would be good... Also, suggest putting baby in sling.... keep next to n*pple, which allows the baby to "suckle" all the time, even while sleeping..... helping to suckle. I birthed a 10lb 3 oz baby... which at all day long...and had a paci.... so.. it's tiring... but it seems like really big... and really little... just need to "suckle at the br**st" Lots of liquids for mom, too. At our hospital they offer a really big 32oz cup, so you can realize when you're drinking enough.

Oh... and regardless of what you think about sleeping in bed... those relaxing times of baby nursing on mom all night.... it's part of putting on the weight :)

Thanks for this information! She did not have a midwife. She does co-sleep, but I'm not sure if she uses a sling - I will ask her about that. I am doing her grocery shopping for her, so I will load her up with mother's milk tea and starchy foods!

The best advice I was given is to nurse almost constantly and for a long time at each session. The baby will stimulate milk production and get the fattier milk if they get a second let down cycle. Pumping never helped me much. Staying hydrated is a must.

A nursing mother cannot and should not try to get a certain number of ounces in. For one thing, there is no way to measure this with a baby at your breast. For another thing the composition and calories of breast milk changes drastically as the feeding progresses.

This mother needs to see a lactation consultant, not a pediatrician. Most pediatricians are abysmally ignorant about breast feeding, those that are not still don't know enough to replace a lactation consultant.

This could help too. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/weight-gain.html

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Does she have folks bringing in meals, paper plates and ready-to-eat lunch food for her other dc? That would be a huge help.

What a great idea! People have been bringing meals for the dinner hour, but a little daytime help might actually be better. Hubby is home in the evenings after all, so it's probably lunch when she needs the help the most.

Thanks for this, and for the rest of your post too!

A good way to get the oatmeal in is to make a big batch of baked oatmeal to keep in the fridge. You can scoop it out and microwave it with one hand while holding the baby with the other. If you're really desperate, it tastes fine cold with a spoon straight from the pan. I would make it with coconut oil and put in a healthy amount of walnuts to get some good fat and more calories.

Maybe someone could bake her a pan. It must be so hard for her to get so little sleep with all of those kiddos to be taken care of.

Mother's Milk Tea worked great for me. I drank it every two hours during the day. It has no caffiene.

Getting more actual sleep is crucial.

If possible, she should sleep whenever the baby does, around the clock, and have someone else in charge of everything else for a while. I know that's hard to arrange, but this is really crucial to supply. If she could just do this for a couple of days she would probably catch right up.

Avoid decongestants and antihistimines.

Get a double pump, and pump one side while nursing at the other in addition to pumping both sides at once afterwards. This fools your body into thinking that you have twins and increasing production. It takes a couple of days, though. I don't know what kinds of double pumps are on the market now, but the Medela was the gold standard when I was involved with this some years back.

A good way to get the oatmeal in is to make a big batch of baked oatmeal to keep in the fridge. You can scoop it out and microwave it with one hand while holding the baby with the other. If you're really desperate, it tastes fine cold with a spoon straight from the pan. I would make it with coconut oil and put in a healthy amount of walnuts to get some good fat and more calories.

Maybe someone could bake her a pan. It must be so hard for her to get so little sleep with all of those kiddos to be taken care of.

I could do this! I'm going to do her grocery shopping for her today, so I could bring her this as well. Thanks for the great idea! I've heard of baked oatmeal before, but never made it since I can't eat oats. I'll google - there's got to be recipes out there for it. I also have some really good organic virgin coconut oil on hand, so I will use that in it.

Mother's Milk Tea worked great for me. I drank it every two hours during the day. It has no caffiene.

Getting more actual sleep is crucial.

If possible, she should sleep whenever the baby does, around the clock, and have someone else in charge of everything else for a while. I know that's hard to arrange, but this is really crucial to supply. If she could just do this for a couple of days she would probably catch right up.

Avoid decongestants and antihistimines.

Get a double pump, and pump one side while nursing at the other in addition to pumping both sides at once afterwards. This fools your body into thinking that you have twins and increasing production. It takes a couple of days, though. I don't know what kinds of double pumps are on the market now, but the Medela was the gold standard when I was involved with this some years back.

I will tell her all of this. Thanks so much!

pump one side while nursing at the other in
This works well, but I wouldn't do it everytime. I wouldn't pump afterwards every time either. If we are talking about being exhausted... pumping is very very exhausting. Keeping the baby latched on as much as possible works better (if the baby is an efficient nurser with a good latch).

I could do this! I'm going to do her grocery shopping for her today, so I could bring her this as well. Thanks for the great idea! I've heard of baked oatmeal before, but never made it since I can't eat oats. I'll google - there's got to be recipes out there for it. I also have some really good organic virgin coconut oil on hand, so I will use that in it.

This is the one I make. I usually reduce the sugar a bit, but I might leave it in in this case so it's extra yummy. :) If you want to, I've had success using honey or maple syrup in place of the brown sugar. I love it with the dried cranberries, but it's also great with diced apples and some nutmeg. Yum!

This is the one I make. I usually reduce the sugar a bit, but I might leave it in in this case so it's extra yummy. :) If you want to, I've had success using honey or maple syrup in place of the brown sugar. I love it with the dried cranberries, but it's also great with diced apples and some nutmeg. Yum!

Thanks!

I have slow gainers. My 6wk old was at his lowest around 2.5 weeks and didn't regain until about 4 weeks (born 8lb5oz). #4 did the same. Nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse!!!! Demand and supply.

My biggest challenge is getting the calories in. Easy, one-handed snacks and meals are top priority, whatever they may be!

Nursing, nursing, nursing. Sleep with the baby. Nurse at night. No pacifier, no bouncey seat, no supplements of any kind, nursing, nursing, nursing. Drink at least a gallon of liquid a day, eat at least 1000 calories extra, nurse, nurse, nurse. If she can get any help with the other dc or household duties, that would be great, because it will give her more time to nurse.

Did I say nurse? That's the best way to increase a mother's milk.

-Feed the baby on the same breast for every feeding, even if it's short, within about 3-4 hours. Then use the next breast for the next 3-4 hour block. This gets more of the hindmilk into the baby, which can help the baby gain weight. (If the unused breast is uncomfortable, Mom can express a bit, with pump or by hand, just enough to ease any discomfort.)

-Slow weight gain is a concern, but not necessarily a problem (though for an early, small baby, I think it's more of a concern). Is the baby's output good? Can Mom hear a good suck-swallow pattern? Is baby lethargic, or very fussy, or anything like that? Any sign of reflux or other digestive issues?

-Is Baby nursing at least 8, more like 12 or more, times a day, and for a good period at each feeding? Mom should be putting Baby to breast very frequently and not limiting the feeding times.

-Baby should probably be evaluated by a professional, preferably an IBCLC, not just a pediatrician or hospital LC. A chiropractor may help too. A small, early baby may need some special help with latch and positioning. It doesn't matter how much milk supply Mom has, if Baby can't transfer it effectively. A professional may be able to help Mom find some positioning techniques.

Also, if the placenta was degrading, are they sure it all came out? If a piece is retained inside Mom, that can contribute to low supply.

I agree with lovedtodeath and happypamama. She should also keep in mind that not all breastpumps are created equal. She needs a hospital-grade double electric (I think Medela's is called the Lactina?). Many hospitals rent them for $1/day. If she can't get that, she needs something like a Medela Pump-In-Style, which is a double electric meant for working moms. Getting in touch with an IBCLC is critical. Many hospital "Lactation Consultants" are not well-trained in evaluating these sorts of issues.

She could also try posting at nursingmom.net . I know there are LOTS of knowledgeable mamas (and some IBCLCs) there. Good luck to her!

http://www.nursingmom.net/

I haven't read all of the replies yet, so this may have already been offered.

lowmilksupply.org is a great online resource. There is information not only on building supply, but also on supplementing in a way that supports BFing. Also, she would probably find the support and encouragement of a LLL Leader and/or a board certified lactation consultant helpful. They could help her evaluate how efficiently the baby is drinking. Sometimes mom has enough milk and baby cannot take all of it. Then starts the decrease in supply b/c baby is not demanding enough.

((hugs)) to your friend. I have been there and it is rough.

Ok, first off she needs to see a board certified lactation consultant. An IBCLE who will come to the house and evaluate. If mom hasnt had problems in the past it may be that the baby is not sucking properly. Also, they will bring a scale to do before and after weight checks. They weight the baby before nursing and after, to see how much she is actually getting. That's the important thing to know, because mom could be making all the milk in the world but if the baby isn't sucking properly she isn't going to get it. Also, a Lact Aid would let her supplement if need be without using a bottle. That would let her breasts get the extra stimulation. Finally, how much does the doctor think a baby that age should be eating??? My daughter has NEVER had more than 2 1/2 oz at a bottle feeding when I'm gone. I can't imagine trying to get that much into her after nursing!

As for increasing supply the biggest factor is to nurse as often as possible, and to get skin to skin contact. She needs to get in bed with the baby and stay there, and let someone else take care of everything else. My newborns nurse constantly, I mean it seems like they nurse 24/7 for the first few weeks. But, I also get tons of milk that way.