Menu

Proactiv---does it really work?

I still have acne/skin issues at 40 and got some information in the mail today about Proactiv. I have heard of it but wondered if it really works like they say.

This deal is for $12 ($6 plus $6 S&H) for a 30 day supply and then $20/month plus $8 S&H (sent in 3 month shipments for $68). Is this even a good deal or are there better ones out there?

I use it and it works for me. I have been using it for a couple of years now and as soon as I stop my acne starts up again. I use the facewash everyday and the Repairing Treament only when I have specific areas that I need to treat. it does dry out my face if I use the Repairing Treatment for too long, but a bit of moisturizer normally fixes that. I cannot go without the face-wash though.

DH started using the Clearskin professional from Avon when I started selling it. It works for him! I can tell when he stops using it. My only problem is that it doesn't work as well for blackheads. But the other types of acne are gone. It is supposed to be comparable to Proactive, but I have heard that it is not as harsh. I have very sensitive skin, and I can't use the face pads. We have not tried Proactive.

I still have acne/skin issues at 40 and got some information in the mail today about Proactiv. I have heard of it but wondered if it really works like they say.

This deal is for $12 ($6 plus $6 S&H) for a 30 day supply and then $20/month plus $8 S&H (sent in 3 month shipments for $68). Is this even a good deal or are there better ones out there?

Antibiotics. I know it sucks but that's what works. I went to a dr. because I tried everything. The acne at our age is different.

Antibiotics. I know it sucks but that's what works. I went to a dr. because I tried everything. The acne at our age is different.

BCP worked for mine. It was absolutely a hormonal acne problem. I haven't had a breakout for 4 years. Before that it was far worse than I'd ever had as a teen -- this stuff was the cyst-like type around the jaw and chin. Ugh. :glare:

This may sound really weird but it is something cheaper to try first.

I wash my face with antibacterial Soft Soap. If I stop washing with the antibacterial Soft Soap, the lower half of my face breaks out. I never tried ProActiv but I tried a lot of different things before I started doing this. Nothing else ever worked for me. This works great.

ProActiv worked great for me. I had to use it once a day instead of twice to avoid drying my face out. But it worked, and my breakouts didn't come back even after I stopped using it.

My middle dd uses it now, and it works great for her when she actually uses it. She has SPD and is sensitive to smells, so she hates putting anything with a scent on her face or hair.

If you get it at an intro price without having to obligate yourself to buying for the next year, you could try it.

Check out acne.org.

A lot of the same products there (benzoyl peroxide) and cheaper. Also have your hormones checked. Perhaps you

are high in estrogen and low on progesterone.

BCP worked for mine. It was absolutely a hormonal acne problem. I haven't had a breakout for 4 years. Before that it was far worse than I'd ever had as a teen -- this stuff was the cyst-like type around the jaw and chin. Ugh. :glare:

Yep, the chin and jaw. It is hormonal but it responds well to antibiotics. Cleared me up.

Yep, the chin and jaw. It is hormonal but it responds well to antibiotics. Cleared me up.

I had this experience about twenty years ago - I was on an antibiotic called Minocin. It seemed to work.

What I didn't know at that time was that I have PCOS, and my acne is the result of insulin/glucose issues - ultimately my ovaries produce too much testosterone. Metformin helps the acne, probably the best of any medication I can think of, though I'm not on it right now.

The BCP that worked for me, years ago, was Demulen. I can't take it anymore due to a clotting issue. Instead, I have the Mirena, which has advantages and disadvantages in terms of the acne, but that's a whole other thread :tongue_smilie:.

Proactive is awful. Both my sister and I used it at one point, and it only marginally worked. She switched to their sensitive skin formula, and the total face breakout it caused took months to clear up.

I know this is a completely different age than you are now, but when I was both in high school and pregnant w/my first, the tea tree oil line from the Body Shop worked wonders on my face.

Personally though, I would go to a dermatologist.

For me, it only worked a little while. It was fine for about a year, and then it didn't seem to have the same effect. I also thought it was too harsh.

I've been using Liz Earle products for about 4 years now, and my skin (which has always broken out) looks better with every year.

Even though I now have Lupus, which effects my skin making it splotchy, red and painful at times, my skin still looks healthier and clearer than it ever has. (funny how things work out :001_smile:)

Her products are natural and gentle.

http://us.lizearle.com/cleanse-tone-moisturise.html

I use the hot cloth cleanser.

Have you been to a dermatologist?

I always pipe up on these acne threads because my son had such excellent results with his prescription acne treatment. He uses a topical antibiotic and retin-a. (His acne started when he was only 9...it was looking awful.) It has cost me a total of about $40 over two years.

He rarely has a real breakout anymore, and has had no side effects.

If you have insurance, a dermatologist might be able to save you money and really help you with your skin.

Good luck!

didn't help my son or myself, and it was too harsh for my skin.

I started using Purpose gentle face wash, as recommended on the acne.org site, and I have had no new breakouts. I've been using it for two weeks, so this may just be a fluke. However, I was just looking in the mirror this morning and realizing that my nose looks normal for the first time in about 5 years. I only use it once a day. It is the first thing that hasn't dried out my skin.

BTW, I'm 43 and have been having breakouts on my nose for the last 5 years.

Good luck!

I got the generic version of Proactive at the drugstore and I'll say two things: for the first month it gave me the worst break out I've ever had. But after that I've been totally clear for the last six months. It does not dry out my skin either and Proactiv did- I was flaky and red and nasty with that stuff. I was almost too afraid to try the one at the drugstore b/c of my Proactiv experience, but my neighbor told me about her experience with it and convinced me to try it. I'm so glad I did. My acne was hormonal as well but BCP raises my blood pressure too high so I can't take it.

Oh- I also use the Clinique Moisturizing GEL not lotion with the AcneFree stuff. It's in an orange box at whatever store you end up at....

It was the first thing I found that really worked for me but it stopped working after a few months. I've gone back to it a couple times and never stuck with it because the results weren't that great and it was a pain to order because I never ran out of all the components at the same time but they were really expensive to buy separately.

Two things have worked for me. There is a facewash called Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil with Awapuhi that works really well on me.

The other thing is the acne.org products. I was using the benzoyl peroxide from there with the facewash above and getting really good results. I switched to the full line from acne.org just a couple weeks ago and my skin looks and feels great. I use the cleanser, bp, and moisturizer as well as the jojoba oil for a makeup remover and the AHA. I don't use everything twice a day. I just go on how my skin feels and looks.

A friend came over last night and sent me a text later asking what I was using because my skin was so clear and glowing.

I took my son to a dermatologist a month ago and he said ds did not have regular acne but acne roseacea which is made WORSE by the usual stuff used to treat acne!

https://health.google.com/health/ref/Rosacea "Rosacea is not acne and will not improve with over-the-counter acne treatment"

He commented that it can be heredity - ds probably got it since I have it!!! And here I thought I just had a "blush of youth" going on !!!!

If ds's skin clears up on the sulfa antibiotic cream and tetracycline pill I may make myself an appointment, too.

Point it - before spending money on an acne treatment, make sure you do not really have roseacea!!!

I wrote last month about my son. We went to the derm. who gave us some topical ointment. He has used it every night for a month to no avail. On a whim I had him try the no dairy thing (miserable, because he loves dairy). He tried it for 2 days and the difference n his skin was amazing. He was feeling better about it, and had about a half cup of milk on day3. Within hours his skin was noticeably worse, almost like an allergic reaction it changed so noticeably. We are now convinced!! Worth a shot.

This may sound really weird but it is something cheaper to try first.

I wash my face with antibacterial Soft Soap. If I stop washing with the antibacterial Soft Soap, the lower half of my face breaks out.

What a clever solution. :)

You've found yourself a combination cleanser and antibacterial (triclosan). There several skin care products that are basically the same thing (like Cetaphil Antibacterial), but I bet they cost a lot more per ounce. Antibacterial Soft Soap appears to have less antibacterial agent than the products designed for this use (0.15% rather than the typical 0.25%-0.30%), so one might even consider it safer than those products.

I don't have an informed option on triclosan safety, but anyone thinking about trying this might first want to do a little reading on the topic. Topical triclosan is probably a better idea than oral antibiotics, but there may be other topical options that are safer for long term use.

I had perfect skin as a teen but I started getting acne after my children were born that got progressively worse until about age 40. At that point, I had tried everything: oral antibiotics, topical antibiotics, ever different kind of OTC treatment, Retin A, a prescription (like Retin A) that started with a D (can't remember right now), alpha hydroxy, benzoyl peroxide. I had the best luck with benzomiacin and/or salicylic acid which is a beta hydroxy but still had problems. Finally my dr. put me on BCP for endometriosis and my acne cleared up. I took the pills for a few years and then as I reached my mid 40s quit taking them. Neither of those problem have really come back but I am currently menopausal (periods are coming less and less frequently) so that may have something to do with it. When I do have a single pimple, I use benzoyl peroxide liberally on it and the surrounding area and it clears right up in a day or two.

• 2 weeks later...
I wrote last month about my son. We went to the derm. who gave us some topical ointment. He has used it every night for a month to no avail. On a whim I had him try the no dairy thing (miserable, because he loves dairy). He tried it for 2 days and the difference n his skin was amazing. He was feeling better about it, and had about a half cup of milk on day3. Within hours his skin was noticeably worse, almost like an allergic reaction it changed so noticeably. We are now convinced!! Worth a shot.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I had horrible acne on and off throughout my teens and early 20s. I used to drink milk endlessly. Once I stopped, my skin cleared up like you wouldn't believe.

Plain yogurt does not affect me at all.

When my dc have milk, they break out.

Milk for me, was the #1 culprit. I've read this time and time again. I just wish I'd known this when I was younger.