Menu

Conference goers, check in here!

I'm attending the Great Homeschool Conference in Greenville, SC in March! I can't wait!

Us too. Just got hotel reservations last night - and it was TOUGH. All the ones through the convention are full. We went to a different hotel & got the last room with two double beds (so at least we don't all have to sleep in a king). I want the workshop schedule with times!

I'm attending the Great Homeschool Conference in Greenville, SC in March! I can't wait!

So are we!

Us too. Just got hotel reservations last night - and it was TOUGH. All the ones through the convention are full. We went to a different hotel & got the last room with two double beds (so at least we don't all have to sleep in a king). I want the workshop schedule with times!

Glad you found a room! I want the speaker schedule,too!

That's amazing. I'm going to the one in Greenville, but I'm staying at my mom's. :D

If anyone needs some hotel recs, you can PM me and I'll try to help you find something nearby.

We are going to the MassHope convention in Worcester MA in April. We went last year as a couple. This year we are bringing the kids and making a weekend out of it. This year we are officially starting to homeschool so we are very excited to listen to some great speakers. I have heard great things about the kids programing, so I hope it is a good experience for them as well.

I am going to the HWOT course(not quite a conference but I am counting it), the Educational assistant conference(work is sending me). It is not a homeschool one but the workshops I am registered to take will benefit my homeschool as they are designed to teach about working with behaviour disabilities etc.

THe Western Catholic conference here in the city, It will be my first time at this one but it sounds great even if I am not catholic. ANd lastly, my favorite, the Alberta Home Education Association conference, that one offers a kids conference for the older 3, the littlest one will stay with auntie or gramma.

Hi guys! This is our second year homeschooling. I have an opportunity to attend a conference in March in Memphis, TN. However, I'm wondering....is it really worth my time? It kind of seems like it's a big commercial for different curriculums. I appreciate everyone's opinions!

Thanks so much!

Tracy

We are going to the MassHope convention in Worcester MA in April. We went last year as a couple. This year we are bringing the kids and making a weekend out of it. This year we are officially starting to homeschool so we are very excited to listen to some great speakers. I have heard great things about the kids programing, so I hope it is a good experience for them as well.

DH and I are going to MassHope convention even though we live in Maine! We can leave the kids with my mom and enjoy the conf!

That's amazing. I'm going to the one in Greenville, but I'm staying at my mom's. :D

If anyone needs some hotel recs, you can PM me and I'll try to help you find something nearby.

Dh and I are going to the one in Greenville, and so are another married couple that we're good friends with. We haven't made any hotel arrangements yet, and now I'm scared since they're obviously filling up quickly.

I'm going to PM you for some advice.

Thanks, in advance!

We should schedule some kind of meet-up for all of the WTM folks that will be there!

I want to go to the Great HS conference but with basketball I can't get to the Cinncinati one and if I go I want to see Tim Hawkins and I don't think he's at the Philly one...

So for now I will go shop at HEAV and NoVa ones. I think there is one in MD not to far from me sooner...who knows.

No, Tim Hawkins is not scheduled to be in Philly.

Hi guys! This is our second year homeschooling. I have an opportunity to attend a conference in March in Memphis, TN. However, I'm wondering....is it really worth my time? It kind of seems like it's a big commercial for different curriculums. I appreciate everyone's opinions!

Thanks so much!

Tracy

That depends on you. You will hear differing opinions on this one based on our personalities. I love them. I love all the curriculum, the choosing and planning, and the seminars. Some people are completely overwhelmed by the choices and don't care to hear seminars. I think everyone should go at least once and see how they like it. Convention time is one of my favorite times of the year.

I'm attending the Great HS Conv. in Greenville as well ~ at this point hubby and three children are joining me. I've never been to a large HS conference so I'm a little overwhelmed and I haven't even gotten there yet! We managed to get reservations at a hotel about 2 miles from the conf. center.

Greennville SC for our family! Very excited about the Worldview Track, Tim Hawkins and all of the excellent speakers. After 12 years of homeschooling, this is the first conference that our whole family is attending. I'm always torn between taking everyone and letting them enjoy the fun or going by myself and really getting a lot done. :001_smile:

Lisa

Thanks so much!

Tracy

Not really. Some of the vendors do workshops for their products, but that's not the majority. There will be speakers of all sorts, talking about all sorts of topics. You can usually download or request a brochure for the conference in your state or region and see who's speaking and what the topics are. Naturally the vendor hall has booths with all kinds of different curricula available, and that's one huge added benefit; you can see the materials up close and personal instead of depending on the samples you might get online. Sometimes I go to a conference JUST to visit the vendor hall and I don't attend any of the workshops. Some conferences will allow for that, only charging a small fee to visit the vendor hall only.

I'm always torn between taking everyone and letting them enjoy the fun or going by myself and really getting a lot done. :001_smile:

Lisa

I figure if there are two workshops I REALLY want to go to at the same time, I send my husband to one and go to the other :) Our son can pick which one he wants to attends.

I'll be attending the Circe Conference in Arlington this summer. It's not specifically a homeschool conference, but it's a rich, inspiring, challenging time for classical, Christian educators.
I didn't realize Circe was in the area this year. I would love to go!

I am not fond of our two local conventions. DH keeps telling me to pick one out-of-state so we can plan a vacation around attending. I am crippled, though, with an inability to make a decision. :tongue_smilie: