Menu

Do baths cause UTI's?

I've never gotten a UTI from a bath, but I have gotten numerous UTIs from tea, so I'm thinking you're safe--unless you have tea in the bath.:D

ETA: I've never used any sort of soap in the bath (showers for that) so it could be a factor that I hadn't considered.

Edited by EKS

I take a bath every night and have only had a UTI twice in my life ( 40yo) I can contribute both to time in a hot tub. The first time it happen I didn't relate the UTI to the hot tube but the second time I wised up. I now know that hot tubs need to be chlorinated properly like a pool.

I grew up taking baths in a rundown trailer. It wasn't the cleanest didn't get uti. I currently have my own personal tub no one else uses but I still clean it nightly before running my water.

I am also a nurse and worked a urinary floor years and years ago and all the urologist say the UTI is mainly caused by "tea"

Oh, thinking back to when I was a little girl, my mom would not buy Mr. Bubble bubble bath because she said would cause a UTI. It was only that one particular brand of bubble bath that she was concerned about.

I've never purchased it, just in case. But I have used both inexpensive and expensive bubble bath for me and dd with no trouble.

If it hasn't caused UTIs yet, I am thinking you're safe!!

Some folks are more prone than others. Since her 50s, my poor mom can't go in *any* pool or she'll get a UTI 100% certain (even after reconstructive surgery). 100%. She had dozens of UTIs over many years before simply giving up going in water. (She will brave the ocean when the occasion arises, but not for long, and not often.)

Even my mom can take baths w/o getting UTIs, though. :)

(I take nightly baths and have only ever gotten Tea-related UTIs, lol)

My mother, the nurse, never let me use bubble bath in the tub for that reason...and still warns me not to use bubble bath with dd.

I will add, we have a genetic disposition to those kinds of troubles. I had major UTI issues when I was young.

Yes, this is my mom as well! I never had a bubble bath that I remember because I was very prone to UTIs. As an adult, however, the last UTI I got was on my honeymoon, which was 17 years ago, LOL. I still don't ever give my daughters bubble baths or use any weird soaps at bathtime, though. None of them have had a UTI yet, but I know when I was their ages (2-4ish), I had a lot of UTIs.

I'll pass on the info my midwife gave me after the birth of my first dd (not sure if it is really fact or not :)). She said things get "stretched a bit" if one has had a catheter. She said that laying back in the tub can cause problems and to never, ever use bubble bath, gels, soaps, or creams of any kind in the tub.

I had a bad infection a summer ago and the the urologist suggested avoiding "fizzy drinks", too much tea (the drink) caffeinated or decaf, and to be careful about strawberries, tomatoes, cherries, etc. I thought that funny because that particular month, I about lived off fruit salad and fresh tomatoes!

Both dd and I love to take baths (not together;)). Dh (a nephrology nurse) is convinced that we're in dire danger of UTI's and kidney infections. Do baths cause UTI's? Is there a way to take a bath to make it safer?

It's not the bath, but what you add to the bath (soaps, gels, oils, etc.) and how sensitive you are.

It just depends on the person. I have always loved to take long, hot, bubble baths. We moved to this house four years ago and I hate the tub so have only taken one bath. I've had three UTI's in the time we've lived here ~ before this I had ZERO.:glare: It's not the baths because I'm not taking them here.

My oldest daughter (21), who was born with congenital kidney issues, and has had more than her fair share of UTIs and kidney infections, has been told by more than one doctor not to take baths.

Not to question your post specifically. Just a matter of happenstance.

I wonder if this is backed up by science or if it is the perpetuation of old wives tales.

I agree it may be an old wives tale, however, the gist of it is that bacteria cause UTIs, and that much is known. Old wives tale or further bath related research doesn't really matter. Any scenario where bacteria is introduced *can* cause a UTI, be it apres tea pea, a bath, the wrong undies, strong soaps, etc. It doesn't mean that every person who bathes will get a UTI, nor does it mean that if you've never had one that bathing does not cause a UTI. If it introduces your urethra to bacteria, it's a possibility.

Not to question your post specifically. Just a matter of happenstance.

I wonder if this is backed up by science or if it is the perpetuation of old wives tales.

Oh - I *totally* agree it could be. Absolutely.

But she already has so much internal scarring, we just didn't (and now that she is older she doesn't) want to take any chances, kwim?

I love a hot bath especially when I come home with ice cold feet. Never had a UTI. However, I never use anything in the water other than Epsom Salt occasionally. I suspect some people are more prone to it than others, the same way some have bronchitis every time they catch something while others get a terribly stuffy nose.

Oh, thinking back to when I was a little girl, my mom would not buy Mr. Bubble bubble bath because she said would cause a UTI. It was only that one particular brand of bubble bath that she was concerned about.

I've never purchased it, just in case. But I have used both inexpensive and expensive bubble bath for me and dd with no trouble.

I spent 3 weeks in the hospital when I was 9 due to a kidney infection that was so bad that it was attacking the muscles in my legs (I couldn't walk) and they thought I had leukemia. All due to Mr. Bubbles.

The only thing I ever used to make bubbles in a bath for my kids is a mild baby wash.