Menu

I need new pots and pans

I tend to buy cheap-o pots and pans with teflon (or whatever the stuff is that makes them non-stick.) They last maybe a year or two and then get scratches or the black stuff starts to come off. (I never use metal spoons on them, only wood.)

I need to start replacing them with pots that will LAST. I don't know if I need the non-stick stuff or not. I remember being a kid and my mom always had to hover over the pots on the stove so the food wouldn't burn or stick to the bottom of the pot. I don't want to be hovering over the food constantly. But I'm tired of the black non-stick stuff flaking off.

Anyone have durable pots that food doesn't stick to? And preferably not too expensive?

I got rid of most of my non-stick stuff and have used my cast-iron skillet almost exclusively. Almost nothing sticks to it, even though I disregard all the rules about cleaning it (I use dish soap, as I really would rather my Dutch Babies didn't taste like fajita chicken). The only nonstick I kept was a little 8-inch pan I use for omelets, but it probably isn't necessary.

We wanted to avoid Teflon and aluminum when we bought our pots and pans 15 years ago. What we purchased was Cuisinart Everyday Stainless. It has been great and it still looks like it did the day we bought it.

Yes, stainless steel does tend to stick so we do not use it to cook things without much water content like eggs and such. We have since purchased an iron skillet, a Teflon-based skillet and a large hard-anodized aluminum skillet that covers two burners.

I have two cast iron skillets, but I need pots to boil water in or pans to stir fry in. Can you stir fry in a skillet?

Does stainless steel stick? I don't want my spaghetti stuck to the bottom of a pan.

You can. In fact, one of my cookbooks (How to Cook Everything, perhaps?) says that they're best for stirfry unless you have a special wok burner on your cooktop.

As for pots, I'm partial to the black, non-non-stick (?) Calphalon for rice and such. Anodized aluminum, according to the bottom of the pot.

We wanted to avoid Teflon and aluminum when we bought our pots and pans 15 years ago. What we purchased was Cuisinart Everyday Stainless. It has been great and it still looks like it did the day we bought it.

A few years ago we went teflonless, and I too purchased Cuisinart Stainless (very affordable). They still look and work great. I had trouble at first with things sticking, but I've finally figured ways of keeping that from happening. Sometimes it is just a matter of lowering the temperature some, or a quick spray of Pam. Found my teflonless waffle iron the other day- cooks the best waffles in the world. :)

Guest BunnyNestHideaway
I use non-stick skillets, but for general pots and pans I prefer stainless steel.

There's a nice, reasonably-priced set at Costco http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11503441&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|90608|56625&N=4047399&Mo=15&No=3&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=55004&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

I've had this set for a couple of years and love them. We also have a few le creuset stockpots for soup/stews and a few hard anodized pieces when we need serious non-stick for a few dishes.

Stainless steel can stick, but for things like eggs, there are ways to avoid sticking. The secret is hot pan, cold fat. In other words, get your pan to the cooking temperature before adding the cold fat (for eggs I use butter from the fridge, but I've used room-temp oil for things like Spanish tortilla with the same results). When I cook scrambled eggs this way, there is no sticking at all, except if I missed a spot or two on the pan with the cold butter. It works like non stick.

I have two cast iron skillets, but I need pots to boil water in or pans to stir fry in. Can you stir fry in a skillet?

Does stainless steel stick? I don't want my spaghetti stuck to the bottom of a pan.

A heavy guage stainless (All Clad is my favorite) won't leave spaghetti stuck to the bottom (just got done boiling mine for dinner!). TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Tuesday Morning, etc are often good places to get high end pots and pans at significantly reduced prices. Buy 1 piece at a time and you won't feel like you are spending a fortune. Le Creuset is my other favorite brand.

Fear of sticking delayed my switch to stainless steel pots and pans, but man I love them. You can use oil, butter, or spray and most things don't stick...And so what if they do, scrub them with a Brillo pad, green scrubby, knife, fork...You can't damage the surface. If something sticks, I fill it with hot soapy water and scrub a little and waa-la.

We love our All-Clad. DH got it at a ridiculous discount (like 80% off) when he worked for Williams-Sonoma, with his employee discount stacked on it being discounted as damaged goods because the box was damaged.

That, and our cast iron wok.

We were the same way about buying pans. We bought the cheap teflon pans until they would get scratched up and unusable. :tongue_smilie:

We finally took the plunge and bought Calphalon pans. It was only $200 for all the pans that we got. We have had them for almost 5 years and they are still going strong!

http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Simply-Stainless-Piece-Cookware/dp/B001EJMSHE

We have one more saucepan and lid, since this doesn't list the sizes, I don't know if it is larger or smaller!

I'll never go back to teflon! I would, however upgrade to better Calphalon or All Clad.... :001_wub:

ETA: You can't use metal utensils on these pans, and don't clean them with brillo pads. You are supposed to use Bar Keeper's Friend, and they stay nice and shiny every time! Unless you are like me, and don't clean the outside of your pan as good, and then the outside looks well loved, but the inside is very nonstick. :)

Edited by Tylianna

Over the years I've had a range of things from non-stick, all-clad, farberware, etc. After finding myself with just one pot when my older kids "borrowed" cookware to get started, I went to Walmart and based on reviews bought a set of Mainstay for under $40 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-10-Piece-Cookware-Set-Stainless-Steel/14915142 It was a temporary fix, but I've had them for going on 4 years and don't see any reason to replace them. I like them as much as my other, more expensive, pots and pans. I use my old, large, cast iron pan for stir-fry and a mid-price ($29) non-stick pan for eggs. It lasts about two years before it is scratched and in need of being replaced.

I have a hodge podge. I have a stainless steel set that Dh and I bought from Macy's when we were first married -we spent about 250 on them and thought to just use them till they wore out and replace with Caphalon? Well, they haven't worn out yet. :001_smile: I DO have a very large Caphalon omelet pan (that was @ 75$) that is seasoned perfectly and eggs just slide out. I also have a lot of cast iron and once seasoned well eggs should just slide out of them, too (I can make a huge pot of scrambled eggs in my cast iron and nothing sticks to mine).

We have no Teflon, we have a parrot and Teflon will kill parrots.

So if you want a good set that doesn't cost a ton, I would buy the Macy's Stainless steel starter set. It's still going strong.

If you want your stainless to remain non stick, you cannot use soap on it. Just give it a good scrub with a stainless brillo -they look like little stainless pompons? Reoil it if you have to after it's dried. Omelets should just slide out of a stainless pan.

eta eta: Check your local auctions for cast iron. I've seen huge lots of cast iron go for 10 dollars (and then the buyer took the one Griswold crepe pan out and resold it for 10 again!).

Edited by justamouse

The one nonstick pan I feel like I can't give up is a skillet. We use cast iron for lots of things, but for eggs nonstick really works best for us. We recently replaced an older one with a Tfal (Cook's Illustrated's top rated "inexpensive nonstick skillet") and have been pleased so far.

Speaking of CI, according to them nonstick cookware only emits fumes at temps over 600; not something that would normally happen to a pan with food inside, but still not worth taking a chance on if birds live near the kitchen.

We got rid of all our teflon a few years ago & got this set:

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Essentials-10-Piece-Stainless-Cookware/dp/B0001FSYQ6/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1294802116&sr=1-1

It is great & we love it. It was also highly rated by Consumer Reports in the 'uncoated' cookware category. (I think it was their #1 pick, if I remember correctly.)

You don't need non-stick for pots! Skillets, maybe, but for pots, you just need a nice heavy stainless steel. It'll last for ages. My $150 set of Macy's Tools of The Trade pots that I bought when I bought my first house 18 years ago are still going strong.

Here are some now, butI can't vouch for their current quality (or for the glass lids, mine are steel lids) since I bought mine so long ago http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=452549&CategoryID=29088#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D23

I'd suggest getting a set from Sam's or Costco. Look for heavy weight, sizes you use, and sturdy looking handles. Check online for reviews. I'd probably buy this set http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod990374&navAction=push

For skillets, I love, love, love my le crueset enamel skillets. Love. They're very expensive, but they last forever. (FWIW, I also love my le crueset dutch ovens for stews, but you don't need them for boiling pasta, etc. . . They're too heavy to bother with for quickie stove top stuff!)

Another vote for Lodge Cast Iron. We practicallly use no other pan anymore.

You should be able to get the 10-12" for under $50.00

Yes. We bought a huge double burner flat pan, like the electric griddles, for Christmas. It was the most expensive one there and it was $54. My grandchildren will be cooking on that thing. You can't kill cast iron. Plus, you'll get big muscles from lifting it from your cupboard to your stove. :D

BTW, that flaky teflon stuff? It's REALLY (insanely, horribly) bad for you. So, there. That's your motivation to never buy it again! :)

We have the Kirkland Stainless Steel set from Costco, some All Clad, a large hard annondized pot (from our old set) and Le Creuset Dutch Oven. At the cabin we have a stainless set from Revere Ware.

I really like all the pieces, and don't really have any favorites. I like the Revere Ware and Kirkland as much as the All Clad. I do try to remember to adjust the heat a bit (All Clad is thicker) or I will get a bit of sticking, but that isn't the pans fault but mine.