Menu

Baby Naming and Lack of Phonics Instruction

I know this is going to be a potential hot topic, so hang on to your hats ladies! I do not mean this in an unkind way, I'm just noticing a huge trend of people naming their children and spelling the name in an unusual way that makes no sense phonetically.

Examples:

Kamran = Cameron

Vyvyn = Vivian

Do you think the lack of phonics instruction in school is contributing to this? That parents really don't realize that how they want the name pronounced and how they are spelling it don't necessarily relate to one another? All I really have to do is pay attention on FB or mom forums and I spot crazily spelled names of children weekly.

Has anyone else noticed this? It is creative naming gone wild.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! I can definitely see the potential for this being a "hot topic" (be nice, WTM people).

I would say, the lack of phonics instruction could partly be to blame. I'm thinking of some names with "creative" spellings that just make me cringe. A lack of education on a whole is to blame in these circumstances, but in speaking to one parent about it, this person expressed the desire for the "variant" spelling just to be "different."

Yeah. :glare:

I agree!

There was a huge thread about this just a few days ago - you'll have to read through it. Pretty entertaining! lol

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231929

Yes, it was entertaining. Got through 9 pgs. ;) It's a long-y. :D

There is never a "right" way to spell a name. Maybe a "traditional American" way but never a "right" way. JM2C

You must remeber that people come from different backgrounds and what may be "wrong" to you is perfectly normal and acceptable for them.

Yes my child has a "different" spelling but it is correct for whom and where his name orginates from.

It depends too...

In regards to FB, are these the real names or are they spelling them that way to be cute? Are these spellings actually on the birth certificate?

I think I have a harder time with parents naming their kids Pebbles (oh yes in high school I knew one) or Bambi )again oh yes, she was on my sisters softball team... didn't the parents know Bambi was actually a buck and not a fawn? /sigh). But to each his own!

My mom got her degree in education. Was a huge proponant for phonics instruction at the height of the "whole language vs. phonics" debate. But she named me JenaMarie, with the Jena part pronounced "Jen-nah", the way it would be pronounced if spelled with a second "n" (Jenna). It is ALWAYS mispronounced "Jee-nah" and many of my grade school teachers (and smart-alecky friends) point out to me that it's "misspelled" for the way it's meant to be pronounced. I don't know WHY my phonics-expert-mom left out the second "n". I pitty the kids whose parents went kre8tive with their names. It's super annoying to be constantly having to spell your name for people and having it mispronounced (and not to mention never being able to buy any souvineer mugs or key rings with your name on them! :tongue_smilie:)

I don't know about a lack of phonics instruction impacting names, I think folks just like to make up creative spellings in that arena. However, I knew a young girl once, who gave her baby the middle name Dwayne (spelled just like that) but when I asked her she didn't know any better spelling.

On a different note though. . .perhaps lack of phonics instruction contributed to Luvs Diapers being labeled as "heavy dooty" on their latest diaper box :001_huh:

Then just yesterday my dh had a vitamin water that said "stick it in the fridge"?? When I pointed it out, he stated maybe folks no longer understand such terminology as "refrigerate after opening". ;)

Our English language and spelling are deteriorating rapidly - it's not limited to names!

Edited by *~Tina~*

I don't know about a lack of phonics instruction impacting names, I think folks just like to make up creative spellings in that arena. However, I knew a young girl once, who gave her baby the middle name Dwayne (spelled just like that) but when I asked her she didn't know any better spelling.

Dwayne is a fairly common name here in the south. I know quite a few of them actually.

Dwayne is a fairly common name here in the south. I know quite a few of them actually.

That was probably a good ten years ago, and at that point I had only seen it spelled with a "vowel" in between the D and W, i.e Dewayne.

Not a big deal on any account, but since the OP was questioning phonics instruction. . .by the rules of our language there should be at least one vowel in each syllable :)

There is never a "right" way to spell a name. Maybe a "traditional American" way but never a "right" way. JM2C

You must remeber that people come from different backgrounds and what may be "wrong" to you is perfectly normal and acceptable for them.

Yes my child has a "different" spelling but it is correct for whom and where his name orginates from.

Thank you for saying this!

We didn't go with AMerican names for our children and you wouldn't believe the crud I get from people.

Kyler is NOT Kyle with an extra letter. Kyler is NOT Tyler misspelled. We could have spelled it several other ways as well. This is an Anglo-Saxon/ Swede spelling of a name meaning "little rock". My dh's name means "rock" and isn't a "normal" American spelling either.

My daughter's name is Loralai. Yes, Americans tend to spell it Lorelie but _I_ for one don't like that spelling. I went with a different spelling. The only place I've had a problem with someone reading her name was in Hawaii... where 'lai' is a specific word.

I think there are some badly spelled names, but just because you don't recognize it doesn't make it wrong.

Kris

Thank you for saying this!

We didn't go with AMerican names for our children and you wouldn't believe the crud I get from people.

Kyler is NOT Kyle with an extra letter. Kyler is NOT Tyler misspelled. We could have spelled it several other ways as well. This is an Anglo-Saxon/ Swede spelling of a name meaning "little rock". My dh's name means "rock" and isn't a "normal" American spelling either.

My daughter's name is Loralai. Yes, Americans tend to spell it Lorelie but _I_ for one don't like that spelling. I went with a different spelling. The only place I've had a problem with someone reading her name was in Hawaii... where 'lai' is a specific word.

I think there are some badly spelled names, but just because you don't recognize it doesn't make it wrong.

Kris

LOVE the name Loralai!!! Actually that is how I would spell it, the other just doesn't "speak" to me IYKWIM. Kyler is a gorgeous name as well!

What irks me is my own MIL mispells J's name :glare:-and it is her father that he is named after. How hard can it be to spell Josef the traditional Czech way, especially since it was your own father's name?!

What irks me is my own MIL mispells J's name :glare:-and it is her father that he is named after. How hard can it be to spell Josef the traditional Czech way, especially since it was your own father's name?!

Oh my goodness, yes! We have a Josef as well. It's a family name, from my dh's side. Someone from that side of the family misspells it every. single. year!

We also have a Dylan, but his name is rarely spelled correctly by our extended family. We get lots of Dillon, Dillan, Dillian (???)...

That was probably a good ten years ago, and at that point I had only seen it spelled with a "vowel" in between the D and W, i.e Dewayne.

Not a big deal on any account, but since the OP was questioning phonics instruction. . .by the rules of our language there should be at least one vowel in each syllable :)

I've never heard it as a two syllable name, so Dewayne would look "wrong" to me.

To me there's a difference between a creative variant of a name or an invented name and a name where the spelling simply doesn't make sense. In the OP's post, the name Vyvyn really does not seem like it should be pronounced Vivian... but if the name is supposed to be Vivin, then, um, okay?

It's really complicated by the fact that we are a melting pot of people from different backgrounds, bringing with us ancestral names that may have unusual spellings by English standards. And I like that people are creative with names... I mean, if it's pronounced Vivin, then why shouldn't that be a name? It's kind of pretty. I just think it's confusing if it's supposed to be pronounced Vivian. And probably, indeed, caused at least in part by a lack of belief in phonics, if not a lack of understanding thereof.

You must remember that people come from different backgrounds and what may be "wrong" to you is perfectly normal and acceptable for them.

There's a big difference IMHO between an ethnic variation and a completely made-up one. Zofia and Sofija don't bother me but Sohfeeyah does. KWIM? If you want your kid to have an unusual name, pick one- don't just randomly start changing letters of a common name.

I'm pretty sure that "Dwayne" is the original spelling.

It's only one syllable and it has been spelled that way since I was a child.

Yeah, I knew I should have listened to that little voice in my head that said, "do not post this!".

I tried to make clear examples of names that I've seen that have no real phonetical connection via spelling with how the names are pronounced. Vivienne and Kyler do not meet that criteria. I wasn't suggesting that people shouldn't give children unusual or unique names or names from a different ethnic/cultural background.

As for Kamran - that reads Kam-Ran. It does not read Kam-Run or Cameron (which does have three syllables in my world!) so yes, I think the parents spelled the name creatively and are now expecting the pronunciation to be other than how it is actually spelled.

Never mind. ;)

Yeah, I knew I should have listened to that little voice in my head that said, "do not post this!".

I tried to make clear examples of names that I've seen that have no real phonetical connection via spelling with how the names are pronounced. Vivienne and Kyler do not meet that criteria. I wasn't suggesting that people shouldn't give children unusual or unique names or names from a different ethnic/cultural background.

As for Kamran - that reads Kam-Ran. It does not read Kam-Run or Cameron (which does have three syllables in my world!) so yes, I think the parents spelled the name creatively and are now expecting the pronunciation to be other than how it is actually spelled.

Never mind. ;)

I get Kam-Ran from the above Kamran. In my world also Cameron has three syllables. I'm in the camp that one can name one's child whatever one wants to, but please don't get angry at the general populace when it is mispronounced and misspelled on a regular basis. Also, IMHO naming one's child "Wyndow" or "Automobyle" or "Purpel Grape" is the height of idiocy.

I get names that are inspired by other languages. I had a girl who worked for me who had a foreign spelling of what was basically pronounced Tara, and it was about 10 letters long and no one could figure it out. I can't even remember it. But she had a reason!

I agree with you OP; it's the plain old American parents who just don't know what vowels say, or what double consonants do, who bug me. :glare:

I know this is going to be a potential hot topic, so hang on to your hats ladies! I do not mean this in an unkind way, I'm just noticing a huge trend of people naming their children and spelling the name in an unusual way that makes no sense phonetically.

Examples:

Kamran = Cameron

Vyvyn = Vivian

Do you think the lack of phonics instruction in school is contributing to this? That parents really don't realize that how they want the name pronounced and how they are spelling it don't necessarily relate to one another? All I really have to do is pay attention on FB or mom forums and I spot crazily spelled names of children weekly.

It seems to me that these names are inspired by vanity license plates and text messaging.

Never mind. ;)

Ditto here! And fwiw, it really makes no difference to me how Dwayne, Dewayne, Dawain, DDwrain, Duhwane- is spelled, it was just a personal example from my little corner of the world where it's pronounced with two syllables ;)

No, I think it comes from a play on the word doody, which means poop.

I got the gist of the diaper word play, but still thought it was "stoopid" :tongue_smilie:

signing off this one. . .

This really isn't a new problem. My grandmother is the youngest of 9, that lived. The first as born in 1903. I think there were 16 total born. Not a single name made sense that her parents came up with. Either the speilling was crazy or the gender was wrong (even for the time period). My Great Aunt Genevive was spelled Jernaveve. My other great aunt Ouida was spelled Weedsa. And then Aunt Eugene. And Uncle Shirmen (pronounced Sherman). Then we have Uncle Danyile instead of Daniel. Maybe it was because my great grandma had little formal education, but when asked about the odd spellings she would always say that she just didn't want anyone to forget her children and how special each one was.

My dd has an unusual spelling of her first name and I am a former reading teacher as well. I added an extra letter in the beginning just because I liked the way it looked. My dh has the first name Douglass - the second 's' is there because his mom likes double letters. Each of her children has a name with a double letter - including Pattrick, Karren, Kathee, and Debbie. Honestly, most letters of the alphabet have more than one sound so substituting a J for a G, for example, seems to make sense for some folks and just looks plain weird for others. In some cultures, odd spellings have existed since slave days when masters would give odd names or use odd spellings because the proper names were too good for the slaves.

I find it frustrating as a person with a 'normal'name when people can't pronounce it correctly. I am Laura - rhymes with car-uh, not lore-uh. And I have had people from different regions tell me I am pronouncing it and spelling it wrong. Whatever.

I always thought it was spelled Duane and had one syllable. :confused:

How hard can it be to spell Josef the traditional Czech way, especially since it was your own father's name?!

I have found that spelling with f vs. ph is confusing for Americans. One of my dds has a name that is spelled with an f in place of the more common ph. She is named for her great-grandmother who was from "the old country" and used the "f" spelling. When people write her name I usually say "with an f." I've had people look confused. I've also had people spell it the regular way, keeping the ph in the middle, but replacing the FIRST letter with an F. :001_huh: Honestly, I didn't think it was that difficult.

Never mind. ;)

Oh no!! I'm glad you posted!! Honestly, most of the time these threads make me laugh out loud.... this time is no different.

Don't be shy to post!

*You* might not consider Kyler to fall under the "wrong spelling" rules, but you wouldn't believe how many people I know who do!!! Then we went and had Lori and OMWord!!!

The other thing is.... you are posting here on a message board and not singling anyone out specific. This is a general "gripe". We all have our idiosyncrasies! :D:D

Kris

Examples:

Kamran = Cameron

Vyvyn = Vivian

I don't think so. I have a feeling it has to do with parents being parents.

I taught as a schoolteacher for 15 years -- the latter part of my teaching career at a academically (classical) rigorous Charter K-8 School. We had intensive phonics instruction for all grade levels. The pet peeve I had were the NAMES of (some) students when the beginning of the year hit and I got the name roster for the first time. ;)

Some memorable names...

Asleigh = I was always corrected by this poor Kindergartener I was pronouncing it wrong. It is not "A-sleigh" but "ASH-LEE". Oy vey.

Lady Ashley = The poor first grader wanted to be called, "Ashley". But her mother insisted on having every label, cubbie, worksheet, report card... labeled, "LADY Ashley". :lol:

Edited by tex-mex

Examples:

Kamran = Cameron

Vyvyn = Vivian

No, I do not think it's lack of phonics instruction. A lot of it is due to cultural differences favoring creativity in naming/spelling rather than uniformity.

On a different note though. . .perhaps lack of phonics instruction contributed to Luvs Diapers being labeled as "heavy dooty" on their latest diaper box :001_huh:

Probably they meant "heavy DOODIE."

Vyvyn! You should at least have a name that doesn't look like you're choking on something.

Okay, I will trot out my ignorance. :lol: How else do you spell Dwayne? I had several elderly Dwaynes in my family, and a couple of Dwights is there another another spelling for that?

Is this a regional thing? These were Kansas farming folks who lived through the dust bowl (so it can't be a newfangled spelling).

Okay, I will trot out my ignorance. :lol: How else do you spell Dwayne? I had several elderly Dwaynes in my family, and a couple of Dwights is there another another spelling for that?

Is this a regional thing? These were Kansas farming folks who lived through the dust bowl (so it can't be a newfangled spelling).

I agree. I would spell it Dwayne, also.

Tara (TAR-ah, not TARE-uh)

We almost named my dd Tara, but I would have spelled it Terra so people would pronounce it the way we wanted it. So others would have pronounced it right, but they wouldn't have been able to spell it.

I always have to clarify, "Kristine, with a K," when someone is writing my name. My last name is not unusual, but because people don't understand phonics, it's mispronounced more than 50% of the time. That drives me crazy. They really should know better.