Menu

Any other mystery readers here? Suggestions needed

I love to read mysteries. I am currently on a few series- Donna Leon, Laura Childs but need more. I just found out today that two series I really liked won't have any more because the authors are dead. Add to that some more that I already knew had died and I am running out of authors. I read very fast and I mostly read mysteries though I also read non fiction too. You can already guess that I have read all the Agatha Christie books (started at 11, finished by early 20:s), am caught up with Sue Grafton, Susan Wittig Albert, Ruth Rendell, and have finished others like Tony Hillerman, Rabbi books, and the few I mentioned who I just found out were dead- Ann George, and Magdalen Nabb. I also have read all of Robert Parker who died this year. Okay, I need more recommendations for series, please.

Chris, have you tried Elizabeth Peters? She has several series, one is the Amelia Peabody series. Also Anne Perry - her fiction mysteries are set in Victorian England, very good. Thomas Pitt & William Monk Series are by Perry. Also, just thought of Ngaio Marsh, a good author.

Someone on this board recommended Colleen Coble (Christian, don't know if that makes a difference for you) and I am trying out a book by her right now - so far so good.

Edited by Liz CA

Do you like historical mysteries? If so I have enjoyed Susanna Gregory's Mathew Bartholomew books (17-18 books at present). Also the Mistress of the Art of Death Series by Arianna Franklin (4 Books) and C.J. Sansom's, Mathew Shardlake series that is about a hunchbacked lawyer during the reign of Henry VIII who always get thrown into situations where he has no choice but to solve mysteries (5 books).

I agree with the suggestion of Anne Perry. She has 2 series that I really love and there are a lot of books in each series.

Laurie King has a great series staring Marry Russell and Sherlock Holmes. They are very well written and you don't have to know everything about Holmes to enjoy them.

Martha Grimes has a series of mysteries all named after and set in English pubs. There are a lot of books in the series and it's fun to watch the characters evolve.

Hope this helps.

I second the suggestions to try Reginald Hill and Tana French. I really enjoy Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus novels, but they are a bit grittier than most of what you mentioned. Have you read the novels Ruth Rendell wrote under the pseudonym Barbara Vine? They are more on the psychological thriller end of the mystery spectrum.

Nancy Atherton (Aunt Dimity)

Linwood Barclay

M. C. Beaton

Emily Brightwell

Lee Child

Catherine Coulter (FBI Series)

Diane Mott Davidson

Jeffrey Deaver

Dick Francis (my all time favorite)

Joanne Fluke

Lisa Gardner

Charlaine Harris (many series)

Tami Hoag

J. A. Jance

Iris Johansen

John Lescroart

John D. MacDonald (Travis McGee series)

Karen MacInerney

Charlotte MacLeod (dead)

Sharyn McCrumb

Leslie Meier

Barbara Parker (dead)

James Patterson (Alex Cross; Women's Murder Club)

Ridley Pearson

Marta Perry (Three Sisters Inn series)

Thomas Perry (Jane Whitefield series)

Nancy Pickard

Robert K. Tanenbaum

William G. Tapply (Brady Coyne series)

Stephen White

Jacqueline Winspear

Stuart Woods

Edited by RoughCollie

You may be interested in

http://www.crimethrutime.com/

Historical whodunnit organised by time period. How classical !

They list thousands of books. I've enjoyed most of those I read based on their suggestions.

It seems the website is undergoing problems. It crashed and they're rebuilding it, I guess.

Now that is just cool! Thanks!

I suggest:

the Dame Frevisse Medieval Mysteries series by Margaret Frazer

Inspector Sejer series by Karin Fossum

the Grace Fergusson series by Julia Spencer-Fleming

Have you tried P.D. James?

Aurora Teagarden series by Charlaine Harris

Harlen Coben's stand-alone novels (not the Myron Bolitar ones, IMO)

Matthew Scudder mysteries by Lawrence Block

Peter Tremayne's Sister Fedelma series

C.J. Box? Michael Connelly? (His are more police procedural, but I love them)

The Inspector Ghote series by H.R.F. Keating is an older one that I've discovered, after reading the more recent Inspector Ghote's First Case

Matthew Scudder mysteries by Lawrence Block

especially if you are drawn to 12 Steps/recovery - a bit on the gritty side

Joan Hess - Maggody, Arkansas series - hysterical

Bill Crider - Sheriff Dan Rhodes series - set in small TX town - can't think of the right word, but a bit tongue-in-cheek

Dana Stabenow - Kate Shugak series - set in Alaska

Alexander McCall Smith - No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series - set in Botswana - light on the mystery - heavy on relationships/wisdom/beauty

Edited by Sue in St Pete

I devour mysteries, too. You might like to try browsing this site for new authors to try: Cozy Mystery. It is primarily cozy mysteries, but it is well organized by topic, author, setting and other features to help you choose books you'd like. It will also list all the books in an author's series, so you can go in order, if you prefer.

My recent fave authors (that are not cozies) are Christopher Fowler (Peculiar Crimes Unit series), Reginald Hill (Dalziel and Pascoe -- but his stand alones are best), Stephen Booth, and Giles Blunt.