Menu

We'll be in the market for a new mattress next year. Do you like yours?

We will need a king size. Are the temper-pedic type mattresses worth it? Are they really that great and comfortable and last? What about the regular mattresses, which ones are good/bad? We've gone through too many cheap mattresses and it's time to get a good one, but we want it to last a long time, if possible.

Hmmm, we got ours at a local store. Parklane. I am in heaven. It has some aloe vera thing on top and you sink into it, but there is an underlying firmness if that makes any sense.

I think that for good quality, you will be looking at least $900 for a queen and $1100 for a king. I am hoping it is worth it. We paid $1200 for ours and my only complaint is finding deep enough pocketed sheets for it. Of course, we have only owned it for about 4 months.

The place we went to would not negotiate any prices. Most places it is normal to be able to talk salespeople down at least $300-400. However, I think [if my research was any good] that to get an equivalent mattress at a Sleepys, the origional price would have been at least $2000.

HTH, at least a little.

I hate our sleep number bed. We've had it 9 years. My side leaks. I go to bed with it fully inflated (hard as a rock) and wake up with it deflated. The foam surround is also worn completely out. It is still under warranty, and I really should call them. But, I spoke with someone at the store and it seems that it would actually cost me a pretty penny because the foam is expected to be replaced by this point. (That 20 years would have a few foam change outs in it.) Problem: I can get a new mattress that I might actually like for not a whole lot more. Next problem: dh loves this mattress. Oh well.

We got one that I thought was wonderful - memory foam, firm, the whole works. The warranties on them are less now than they used to be - just 10 years. And because of the pillow topper you can't flip them, just have to turn them from top to bottom. I'm guessing we're about 5 years in now and for the past year we've both been noticing a distinct dip on the edges where we each sleep, despite turning. The middle of the bed is definitely higher....

I would never do a tempur-pedic. Those things are hot. I already get really hot as soon as I lie down.

I love the mattress we have, but I haven't got a clue what it is aside from a pillow-top. We have it encased in one of those allergy cover things, so getting that off to look at the brand would be a huge pain.

It has a pillow-top on both sides. It takes two people to flip/rotate and even then it's really difficult.

We have an off brand sleep number type bed that came as a bed in a box from Walmart for $250. We bought it when we were young and broke and pregnant because we needed something bigger than our full, and we couldn't afford anything better. We assumed it would last a year if we were lucky and hoped by then we'd be able to afford a 'real' bed.

7 years later, we still sleep on the same bed and love it! The only problem we've had with it is that in the last year or so the cheap plastic platform frame it came with has started to crack. We will have to replace the platform soon, but intend to keep the bed.

We will need a king size. Are the temper-pedic type mattresses worth it? Are they really that great and comfortable and last? What about the regular mattresses, which ones are good/bad? We've gone through too many cheap mattresses and it's time to get a good one, but we want it to last a long time, if possible.

We've had our Select Comfort (now called Sleep Number) for almost 20 years. It's still in great shape, and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. I'm always so happy to get home to my own bed!

we have a sleep number here. i was told to replace our old mattress after being pregnant twice and gained over 100 lbs each time, it was time for it to go. had it for 8 years now.

we got the cheapest one at the time. no pillow top. I love it except that it is not quite hard (even at 100) for me. I like to sleep on futons or on the ground.

my hubby hates it. he got one of those foamy things for the top of his and he said it was ok, but then his side anf mine were a different height!!

Robin in NJ

Tempurpedic is definitely worth the money for us. My hubby has sciatica and a bulging L-5 disc in his back. I have arthritis in my hips. We both awaken pain free since we bought our Tempurpedic. It did take us a few weeks to get used to sleeping on this mattress. It is so unlike anything we had ever slept on before.