Menu

I'm curious... those that aren't LDS do you still observe the Sabbath?

Having known no other religions in my life, I am curious how other religions handle the Sabbath. I know that some celebrate the Sabbath on Saturday- 7th Day Adventists, and Jewish. But what about others... Jehovah Witnesses, Baptists, Lutheran, Protestants, Methodists...?? I think I remembered most of them, but I am sure I forgot a few, if I did... my apologies in advance :blushing:

I think it depends on your definition of 'observe'. Most Protestants believe that it's legalistic to only go to church on the Sabbath and spend time with friends family. For instance, it's okay in such circles if you go shopping on the Sabbath. In my circle of friends, the observation of the Sabbath is out of love for the command and so they rest in various ways but they don't hold to it out of following rules. Nobody I know is going to scoff at them because they chose to get some work done or decide to stay home from church.

eta: our next door neighbors are LDS and typically observe the Sabbath by going to church and only fellowship on a Sunday. However, we woke up one Sunday morning to see the husband using his tractor in the yard and thought that a bit odd. It was very unlike them to do so and knowing some of their rules, we would be shocked if they were seen by a fellow LDS Member and NOT reprimanded in some way.

Edited by Alenee

By "observe the Sabbath" do you mean have a different set of rules for what is acceptable on that day than on other days? (For example, not shopping on Sunday?)

When I left Mormonism, I moved to a liberal mainline church. I've attended two congregations in two different states, and I would say that in my denomination "keeping the Sabbath" is held up as an ideal, but the specific rules vary widely from person to person. (For example, some people might view going out to eat or going to a movie as breaking the Sabbath and others might see those as acceptable Sabbath activities.) And it doesn't receive nearly the focus in church that it did in sacrament meeting.

Most denominations are more conservative than mine.

eta: our next door neighbors are LDS and typically observe the Sabbath by going to church and only fellowship on a Sunday. However, we woke up one Sunday morning to see the husband using his tractor in the yard and thought that a bit odd. It was very unlike them to do so and knowing some of their rules, we would be shocked if they were seen by a fellow LDS Member and NOT reprimanded in some way.

I would be shocked if they were reprimanded.

We are Protestant and have come to the place in our lives regarding the Sabbath that if we aren't rested at the end of the Sabbath day, we have not observed the Sabbath. That's it for us...

It removed a lot of the mystery and legalism for me...you know, don't shop or do anything that supports other people having to work, etc..

We're Roman Catholic, the Sabbath is observed on Sunday, although most parishes offer a Saturday evening Mass that fulfills Sunday obligation. All Catholics of age are required to attend Sunday Mass, unless they have a good reason (like being sick). We're not supposed to do any unnecessary work, either.

Here are a couple of links- http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13287b.htm

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14335a.htm

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c1a3.htm

My family and I are Christians; we do not 'belong' to any 'denomination'.

We believe Christ is our Sabbath rest. We don't view any day (either day of the week or 'special' days like holidays) as any different than any other day. We also do not judge those that do see certain days as 'different' than others, based on the directions in Romans 14:5:

"One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind."

By "observe the Sabbath" do you mean have a different set of rules for what is acceptable on that day than on other days? (For example, not shopping on Sunday?)

When I left Mormonism, I moved to a liberal mainline church. I've attended two congregations in two different states, and I would say that in my denomination "keeping the Sabbath" is held up as an ideal, but the specific rules vary widely from person to person. (For example, some people might view going out to eat or going to a movie as breaking the Sabbath and others might see those as acceptable Sabbath activities.) And it doesn't receive nearly the focus in church that it did in sacrament meeting.

Most denominations are more conservative than mine.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I am curious as to what other religions do in terms of the Sabbath. From the way I understand it, we are commanded not to work... so going out to eat or shopping on the Sabbath (whether it be Saturday or Sunday) would be a "no-no". I also understood it to mean resting... but I am trying to learn a bit more about how that would fluctuate between religions, and their interpretations on such :)

Thank you...

We do not observe the sabbath. We go to a Christian Church. We do know that sabbath is on a Saturday not a Sunday. We believe that things changed in regards to the sabbath once Jesus was resurrected and after the day of pentecost.

So whether it is a Saturday or a Sunday, we carry on as usual and we do work around the house or shop on both days.

Holly

I would be shocked if they were reprimanded.

:iagree:It might be frowned upon. If a member were to drive by or come over, I am sure they'd be thinking things in their head, or maybe even shaking their head if it was just driving by. But I seriously doubt anyone would say anything, even a Bishop. While we/they are supposed to observe the Sabbath, it's still isn't something that would take away a temple recommend, so it is not one's place to judge or make comment. Sabbath, and acceptable Sabbath day activities vary from one family to the next. I actually just spent over a day researching this, printing out pages and pages of info in preparation for a Family Home Evening. It is seen more as a *strong* suggestion. It is known that is is supposed to be observed, but it is really up to the one person how or if they follow or enforce it.

All Catholics of age are required to attend Sunday Mass, unless they have a good reason (like being sick). We're not supposed to do any unnecessary work, either.

The RC churches in our area aren't that strict about attendance, and I'd never even heard the "no unnecessary work" idea until I read your post.

That's very interesting. Thanks for posting! :001_smile:

Cat

I'm not currently active (for a variety of reasons), but I was born and raised LDS, and it would never cross my mind for someone to be reprimanded in any way for doing some yard work. Honestly, it's so far from my experience of reality that can't even imagine what that sort of "reprimand" would look like. I can't imagine that many bishops are sitting around and talking to people (that's the only sort of "reprimand" I can think of) about mowing the lawn. If another member drove by, I would probably just expect them to wave.

For me, Sunday is the sabbath, and it's a day spent in church, or at home resting, or fellowshipping with others. A typical Sunday for us is attending morning service and Sunday school, home for lunch and either a nap or an afternoon doing quiet things like reading or maybe watching a movie, attending Sunday evening service and then home. We might go out to lunch, but not often. I like my quiet Sunday afternoons!

We go to a Baptist Church, and pretty much always have. Our family observes the Sabbath much differently than 90% of the congregation.

We choose to not shop or eat out at restaurants on Sunday. We also try not to do any 'work' per say. I cook, and occasionally do a load of laundry, but for the most part we try to make it a day of rest. My dh will not work (as in at his job) on Sunday. If it were abolutely necessary, he would work, but would make sure to choose another day of the week to observe as his Sabbath.

I think each family should reflect on what God means for the Sabbath day to entail, and follow that for their family.

I am Methodist. Sabbath is Sunday like most denominations, and we go to church and fellowship. In my family we do usually try to rest and spend the rest of the day at home or resting in our way (might include going to the park or taking a bike ride or something..) Dh and I love our Sun. naps. It is the only day we ever get them.

We do not always observe as well as we should, unfortunately. Here is a blog by a United Methodist pastor. It is similar to things I have heard from our pastor. http://hillsborofumc.com/?p=1131

My family and I are Christians; we do not 'belong' to any 'denomination'.

We believe Christ is our Sabbath rest. We don't view any day (either day of the week or 'special' days like holidays) as any different than any other day. We also do not judge those that do see certain days as 'different' than others, based on the directions in Romans 14:5:

"One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind."

:iagree:

It's interesting to me that the only one of the 10 commandments that Jesus does not verbally restate as necessary is the observation of the Sabbath, which was the 7th day of the week, not the first. He did say that the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. (Mark 2:27)

The first day of the week is when Christians traditionally met to celebrate the resurrection, because it happened on the first day, not because it was commanded anywhere. There are no biblical restrictions associated with that day.

It's interesting to me that the only one of the 10 commandments that Jesus does not verbally restate as necessary is the observation of the Sabbath, which was the 7th day of the week, not the first. He did say that the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. (Mark 2:27)

The first day of the week is when Christians traditionally met to celebrate the resurrection, because it happened on the first day, not because it was commanded anywhere. There are no biblical restrictions associated with that day.

Interesting... thank you for sharing that.

The RC churches in our area aren't that strict about attendance, and I'd never even heard the "no unnecessary work" idea until I read your post.

That's very interesting. Thanks for posting! :001_smile:

Cat

Individual Catholic parishes do not set the regulations regarding Mass attendance. The first precept of the church is "You shall attend Mass on Sundays and holy days of obligations". This is not something individual parishes can decide whether it applies to them or not.

Individual Catholic parishes do not set the regulations regarding Mass attendance. The first precept of the church is "You shall attend Mass on Sundays and holy days of obligations". This is not something individual parishes can decide whether it applies to them or not.

The Sabbath is still Saturday. We go to church on the Lord's Day, which is Sunday. :-)

Agree with this. God has never changed the Sabbath, but we go to church on Sunday, as was tradition in the early church, because it is seen as the Lord's Day (when he rose from the dead).

Here is an educational video for you regarding Sunday and the Sabbath:

I think you misunderstood me.

I know "the rule;" I'm just saying that in our local churches, there are no repercussions for not attending every week. It's not like anyone is taking attendance, or that anyone is called out for not showing up. (There are thousands of parishioners, so it would be virtually impossible for the priests to keep track of who does and does not attend regularly.) I think they treat it as more of an honor system. ;)

Things may be much different in smaller parishes -- I know my mom used to say that when she was a girl, no one missed mass unless they had a good reason.

Cat

I used to attend a church where Saturday Sabbath was held in such high regard that it rather than Christ seemed to be the focus and to some extent the means of salvation. I now attend a more mainstream church that understands its' foundation to be Christ. And I still keep the Sabbath on Saturday. Sabbath is good thing but Christ is central.

What I have found is that the Sabbath helps me to get away from the day to day and reset my focus on Christ. Without it, I think would be easy for me to get my priorities messed up.

Too many people to quote because of my 'reprimand' comment.

From our view of our neighbors and their life, and what they share with us, we have just spent two years watching the wife be reprimanded by the church for various things. Things, in our opinion, that she should've been loved back into fellowship for, not punished. We've also recently watched her come under the thumb of a very hardline bishop. So, from our point of view in watching this in action, it isn't outside the realm of what could happen with *them*. These are folks who are in what sounds like very important positions within their church so maybe that makes a difference? idk

And throwing in an :iagree: to Bethany's quote from Romans. This is where we stand as a family and as a church.

I think you misunderstood me.

I know "the rule;" I'm just saying that in our local churches, there are no repercussions for not attending every week. It's not like anyone is taking attendance, or that anyone is called out for not showing up. (There are thousands of parishioners, so it would be virtually impossible for the priests to keep track of who does and does not attend regularly.) I think they treat it as more of an honor system. ;)

Things may be much different in smaller parishes -- I know my mom used to say that when she was a girl, no one missed mass unless they had a good reason.

Cat

I'm not sure what the repercussions would be? That would be between the penitent and the priest in Confession. Of course it's on the honor system, however, the 'personal' obligation cannot be lessened in any way regardless of parish size. If I laze around on Sunday and miss Mass, whether in a small parish where everyone knows me or in a mega parish where I'm not even noticed, does not alter the fact that I have failed my Sunday obligation. I know it, and God knows it. I'm not trying to argue :001_smile:, it just sounded like if no one was watching you, it wasn't a big deal. The onus is on me!

Our church is conservative, evangelical Protestant.

Exactly how the Sabbath is observed is left up to the individual Christian in our church. We look to the New Testament to interpret the Old Testament and the command to take a Sabbath is not repeated in the New Testament. Rather, Rom. 14:5 says: "One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind." Jesus said, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." So to partake of a Sabbath rest is a good thing, but the way it is observed is not rigid. For example, a Christian might reason that a portion of each day would be devoted to "Sabbath rest" (the one who considers "every day alike") while another Christian might dedicate Sunday to church, rest, fellowship, etc. There is freedom. Most importantly, in Christ, we have entered rest from trying to earn salvation by our works. I will say that too few Protestants take advantage of a Sabbath of any kind. That is just a loss to them of something healthy and restorative. I've copied a couple of relevant passages below. You'll see from both that the person with the most scruples is not necessarily the most mature spiritually.

1 Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. 2 One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. 4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. 8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.

10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister[a]? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11 It is written:

“‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,

‘every knee will bow before me;

every tongue will acknowledge God.’”

12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.

13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. 14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. 15 If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval.

19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall.

22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23 But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.[c] Rom 14

13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you[d] alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14 having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. 15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.[e]

Freedom From Human Rules

16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. 18 Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you. Such a person also goes into great detail about what they have seen; they are puffed up with idle notions by their unspiritual mind. 19 They have lost connection with the head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.

20 Since you died with Christ to the elemental spiritual forces of this world, why, as though you still belonged to the world, do you submit to its rules: 21 “Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!”? 22 These rules, which have to do with things that are all destined to perish with use, are based on merely human commands and teachings. 23 Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

From Col. 2

Edited by Laurie4b

I think it depends on your definition of 'observe'. Most Protestants believe that it's legalistic to only go to church on the Sabbath and spend time with friends family. For instance, it's okay in such circles if you go shopping on the Sabbath. In my circle of friends, the observation of the Sabbath is out of love for the command and so they rest in various ways but they don't hold to it out of following rules. Nobody I know is going to scoff at them because they chose to get some work done or decide to stay home from church.

I would be shocked if they were reprimanded. :001_huh: I've even heard it announced over the pulpit that so-and-so in the Bishopric (head of the congregation) wouldn't be available for appointments after the Sunday meetings because he'd recieved a page calling him into work (he was an anasthesiologist). The LDS faith isn't nearly as legalistic as some people seem to think. (now some of it's members... but most people ignore them and do their thing)

I grew up VERY legalistic. Sundays were the most boring day in the world for me. No TV, no shopping, no games of any kind (even roller skating or playing with the neighbor kids), no work, no major travel.....although I finally was able to bake and read, but overall, B-O-R-I-N-G!

My dad would sometimes have to work on Sunday, but he is a surgeon and back in the day before they had specific ER doctors, he often was on call in the ER on Sundays. I liked it when he was called in because my mom was a little more lax in her legalism and would let me watch TV or go play with friends.

Overall, I hated Sundays.

Now, I am so much more relaxed. I do whatever I do the rest of the week, although we do go to church.

Too many people to quote because of my 'reprimand' comment.

From our view of our neighbors and their life, and what they share with us, we have just spent two years watching the wife be reprimanded by the church for various things. Things, in our opinion, that she should've been loved back into fellowship for, not punished. We've also recently watched her come under the thumb of a very hardline bishop. So, from our point of view in watching this in action, it isn't outside the realm of what could happen with *them*. These are folks who are in what sounds like very important positions within their church so maybe that makes a difference? idk

Honestly, it shouldn't matter what calling she has in the church, without perhaps the exception of a General Authority or a Prophet.

However, I get what you saying, and I have been there... am there, I am really not sure :confused: So in that feel for her... I do. I can only imagine to an outsider looking in what it all looks like. I am sure it is not very good, and this is exactly one of my points with the church :glare: I am curious though, since I too have been in shoes, what she was being reprimanded for. Feel free to PM me you if you want.

I grew up VERY legalistic. Sundays were the most boring day in the world for me. No TV, no shopping, no games of any kind (even roller skating or playing with the neighbor kids), no work, no major travel.....although I finally was able to bake and read, but overall, B-O-R-I-N-G!

My dad would sometimes have to work on Sunday, but he is a surgeon and back in the day before they had specific ER doctors, he often was on call in the ER on Sundays. I liked it when he was called in because my mom was a little more lax in her legalism and would let me watch TV or go play with friends.

Now, I am so much more relaxed. I do whatever I do the rest of the week, although we do go to church.

I am curious... what religion are you or was your family growing up?

Our church is conservative, evangelical Protestant.

Exactly how the Sabbath is observed is left up to the individual Christian in our church. We look to the New Testament to interpret the Old Testament and the command to take a Sabbath is not repeated in the New Testament. Rather, Rom. 14:5 says: "One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind." Jesus said, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." So to partake of a Sabbath rest is a good thing, but the way it is observed is not rigid. For example, a Christian might reason that a portion of each day would be devoted to "Sabbath rest" (the one who considers "every day alike") while another Christian might dedicate Sunday to church, rest, fellowship, etc. There is freedom. Most importantly, in Christ, we have entered rest from trying to earn salvation by our works. I will say that too few Protestants take advantage of a Sabbath of any kind. That is just a loss to them of something healthy and restorative. I've copied a couple of relevant passages below. You'll see from both that the person with the most scruples is not necessarily the most mature spiritually.

^This^ makes *perfect* sense!! Thank you for that!! Basically your saying one can chose to dedicate a day to rest and of the Lord, and one may chose to dedicate time each day to these very same things... I read that quote before but was a little confused in deciphering it's exact intent and meaning.

As for the rest, what are you quoting? I followed some of it, but it doesn't sound like my KJ Bible, so that was a little confusing and distracting. Especially because I think you c&p'd it, so it made it (for me) a little hard to follow...

I'm not sure what the repercussions would be? That would be between the penitent and the priest in Confession. Of course it's on the honor system, however, the 'personal' obligation cannot be lessened in any way regardless of parish size. If I laze around on Sunday and miss Mass, whether in a small parish where everyone knows me or in a mega parish where I'm not even noticed, does not alter the fact that I have failed my Sunday obligation. I know it, and God knows it. I'm not trying to argue :001_smile:, it just sounded like if no one was watching you, it wasn't a big deal. The onus is on me!

Thanks for pointing that out -- I didn't mean to make it seem like it didn't matter, or that you were getting away with anything if no one noticed (although when I re-read my post, it definitely sounded that way. :blush:)

It's definitely a personal responsibility issue, but after reading threads about how some (individual) non-RC church leaders seem to try to control the lives of their members, and how there seems to be real consequences for disobeying (or not raising your kids a certain way, etc.) I think Catholics have it pretty easy. ;) I've never attended a church where the priests told parishioners specifically how to lead their daily lives, to vote for a certain candidate, or anything like that. Sure, they stressed honesty, decency, and morality, and expected you to be a good person (and attend church ;)) but I never sensed any real "commands," like your kids can't date until a certain age, or you can't do this-or-that on a Sunday.

I'm sure the majority of churches stress Christian principles without being overtly controlling, but it seems so foreign to me when I hear about the super-intrusive stuff, and I didn't want anyone to think that something awful would happen to a Catholic for missing mass. Yes, we're supposed to be there, but if we're not, no one is going to tell us we're no longer welcome at church, and no one will yell at us for it. As you said, it's between us and God, and if we confess it to a priest and are genuinely sorry, he's not going to be mean to us about it.

Cat

Edited by Catwoman

I have friends from a lot of different churches. I can't speak on every religion, but all of my friends still "observe" the Sabbath somehow. Now, they don't avoid shopping on the Sabbath. But they go to church, or try to spend at least part of the day fellowshipping with friends/family.

Before we joined the LDS church, two years ago, Sunday was just another weekend day to us. Sometimes we went to church (I was raised RLDS, or Community of Christ, but we went to the Free Methodist church for awhile).

I would be shocked if they were reprimanded. :001_huh: I've even heard it announced over the pulpit that so-and-so in the Bishopric (head of the congregation) wouldn't be available for appointments after the Sunday meetings because he'd recieved a page calling him into work (he was an anasthesiologist). The LDS faith isn't nearly as legalistic as some people seem to think. (now some of it's members... but most people ignore them and do their thing)

Yeah, again, I've only been in the church for two years...but I've seen a wide array of what is the "norm" for Sabbath day activities in the church so far. Definitely no one has been reprimanded at all for doing something on the Sabbath. Its a personal family decision.

My husband mows the lawn all the time on the Sabbath. He probably shouldn't, but we have very busy weeks and even busier Saturdays. If he wants the lawn mowed, he's got to do on Sundays sometimes.

How bizarre. And sad.

Are they by any chance employed by the church?

How bizarre. And sad.

Are they by any chance employed by the church?

No, they aren't employed by the church. A lot of the 'reprimand' has been social pressure as well as actual physical reprimands in the church. I have tons of friends who are LDS and I feel so sad for them because of the social pressure they put on each other and in their own words, because of the 'image' they want to project. One is judged without grace and then throws out that same graceless judgement at another... So again, *ime* with how they treat each other, I would not be surprised with a reprimand for working in their yard on a Sabbath day.

The Sabbath is still Saturday. We go to church on the Lord's Day, which is Sunday. :-)

:iagree:We go to church to worship God, and fellowship with other believers. Each family treats the Lord's Day a bit differently, but here we don't do unnecessary work, and minimize shopping. Resting with a bunch of boys seems a bit of a stretch though. :tongue_smilie:

This was me too, although I would say we were moderate legalists :tongue_smilie: But, I did dread many Sundays because of this. I remember watching neighbor friends walking to the swimming pool on Sunday afternoons and longing to go with them but we couldn't.

However, my dad would take me and my brothers on hikes in the forest or other outdoor adventure things whenever the weather was good...I loved those excursions and have great memories of those Sundays.

It was because of that dread, though, that we have adopted the "if we aren't rested at the end of the day, we didn't observe the Sabbath" because I don't want my kids dreading Sundays. I want it to be the grace of God that attracts them to Him.

There are times I will run a load of laundry, but I try to get it done on Saturdays. There are times I will go to the store but I try not to. There are times we will pay to do something fun on Sundays but we try to find alternatives.

I just won't be rigid about it because, well, sometimes getting my laundry done before Monday starts makes me feel VERY rested :001_smile:.

No, they aren't employed by the church. A lot of the 'reprimand' has been social pressure as well as actual physical reprimands in the church. I have tons of friends who are LDS and I feel so sad for them because of the social pressure they put on each other and in their own words, because of the 'image' they want to project. One is judged without grace and then throws out that same graceless judgement at another... So again, *ime* with how they treat each other, I would not be surprised with a reprimand for working in their yard on a Sabbath day.

I'm sorry to hear that that's been your experience. :( I notice your in SW Washington. (I am too :) ) What Stake are your friends in? (if you know). I'm up in Longview, and our Stake is very easy going and I've hardly felt (or witnessed) the kind of judging you're talking about in anything other than isolated incidences (typically within cliques. we aren't free of cliques, unfortunately :glare: ). But I *have* felt it in some of the congregations I've been a member of in Utah, and one congregation in California had some particularly vocally judgmental members (but they were a minority -abeit a vocal one). I sometimes wonder if these kinds of situations start small in a congregation or Stake (which is a geographical cluster of congregations), and then just feeds on itself as children grow up emulating their parents and becoming another judgmental voice in the congregation, and people also follow their example so that they can be friends with these judgemental people. It's so terribly sad. :(

Edited by Xuzi

Totally agree. I'm a baptist, but just because we worship with other believers on Sun. (as was the custom of the early church, btw), doesn't mean that those that worship on other days are in any way breaking any "rules". I think the Rom 14:5 verse coupled with the admonition in Hebrews to not forsake assembling together are my rule of thumb. So in a nutshell: Early church met on the first day of the week, BUT we are not bound by the sabbath anymore (book of Hebrews, Christ's example, Rom 14:5), BUT we still need to be with other believers in a local church, following the example of the early church, so we can exercise our gifts in concert with one another (per Hebrews), even though which day we do it on is not an issue.

Thanks for pointing that out -- I didn't mean to make it seem like it didn't matter, or that you were getting away with anything if no one noticed (although when I re-read my post, it definitely sounded that way. :blush:)

It's definitely a personal responsibility issue, but after reading threads about how some (individual) non-RC church leaders seem to try to control the lives of their members, and how there seems to be real consequences for disobeying (or not raising your kids a certain way, etc.) I think Catholics have it pretty easy. ;) I've never attended a church where the priests told parishioners specifically how to lead their daily lives, to vote for a certain candidate, or anything like that. Sure, they stressed honesty, decency, and morality, and expected you to be a good person (and attend church ;)) but I never sensed any real "commands," like your kids can't date until a certain age, or you can't do this-or-that on a Sunday.

I'm sure the majority of churches stress Christian principles without being overtly controlling, but it seems so foreign to me when I hear about the super-intrusive stuff, and I didn't want anyone to think that something awful would happen to a Catholic for missing mass. Yes, we're supposed to be there, but if we're not, no one is going to tell us we're no longer welcome at church, and no one will yell at us for it. As you said, it's between us and God, and if we confess it to a priest and are genuinely sorry, he's not going to be mean to us about it.

Cat

And I agree. If my priest tried to tell me how to raise my children (unless I was a totally awful mother that needed a good slap) or how to vote, I would be finding myself another parish mighty quick. In the end, it's between God and us. Of course, good direction and guidance is always appreciated, but I also reserve the right to disregard it. ;)

We are eastern Orthodox and in our tradition (which is fully Christian) there is no more sabbath -- there is now the Lord's Day. The "Lord's Day" isn't the sabbath (with it's "no work" rules) moved from the 7th day to the 1st day, it's an entirely new thing because of the entirely new thing Christ did/does for us. Christ is our Sabbath Rest, and the Lord's Day is devoted to celebrating His resurrection which opened the door for all to the eternal Kingdom of God. So, with that background stated, on the Lord's Day we gather as a local parish for the purpose of meeting in the Divine Liturgy and receiving the Eucharist. At our parish, we then share a meal together and many parishes (not ours) has an evening service. HTH!