Menu

If you suffer from fatigue but have made changes that helped...

what have you done?

Fatigue and a general feeling of blah have taken over. Not in a depression sense, as I know what that is like. This is different.

I really need/want to make some lifestyle changes. I'm talking about diet and exercise mainly. I know I need to start out slow, or I'll end up getting overwhelmed and throwing in the towel.

I go for a walk 'bout 3 times a week, but I am planning to go more. Maybe even start running. I don't eat a lot of sweets but know I should get more vegetables in my diet.

What are some things I could start doing to see some changes? Some things that have worked for you.

No more caffeine?

No more sugar?

Eliminate high fructose corn syrup?

Vitamins?

Protein smoothies?

Thanks for your insights! :001_smile:

The book When Your Body Gets the Blues had some information that I found useful: B-complex vitamins, getting outside at least 20 minutes every day, and walking at least 20 minutes every day. When I am consistent (which I am not, sadly), I notice a big difference in my energy level and overall attitude/ outlook.

I cut out sugar, flour (the white stuff), drinking more water and taking my vitamins and the lbs are coming off and I feel so much better. This week the girls and I are adding a yoga class at the Y and we're taking daily walks. I think the diet change and making myself get out has worked wonders.

If the UPS guy ever gets here with my supplements I'll let you know in a week how it is working.

• I've started an exercise program - I burn 265 calories a day.
  • I'm back on my sleep schedule - 11p to 8a
  • I'm getting out of the house more - Tai Chi class for dh and me one night a week
  • The supplements - ubiquinol, Vit D-3, Alpha Lipotic Acid, magnesium citrate, calcium citrate, glucosomine and chondroitin and Acetyl L-Carnitine for my hyperthyroid.
  • I've pretty much become vegetarian.

Unfortunately I haven't kicked the soda habit or the white sugar in my tea habit. I might find the courage to do that next year.

I noticed that my fatigue issues slowly started to ease when we started getting a CSA box. We didn't have a choice in what vegetables to buy or how much we'd get. All of a sudden we were eating a LOT more leafy greens and vegetables in general. It was really a two-fold dietary change because we increased our veggie intake by quite a bit, which decreased our overall consumption of bread and pasta and meat.

And we got a dog, so I'm walking almost every day which helps both with exercise and exposure to sunlight. I'm not saying you should get a dog, lol, though that helps with the "I don't feel like going today" issue, just that the almost daily outdoor exercise has helped.

I think it's important to remember to try to make changes you can commit to, as those are the changes that are likely to stick. I resolve to start running about every 4-5 months. Then I remember how much I HATE running. A daily walk is a better choice for me because I am more likely to stick with it and thus less likely to get discouraged.

:)

Also, I know this sounds SO obvious it's almost not worth mentioning, but make sure you're getting enough sleep on a regular schedule.

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch
typos

I'd check your 25 (OH) D level. This is the specific vitamin D test you need to accurately determine levels. It's an easy fix, extremely important to your health, and likely you are low based on your description, the time of year, and the number of people in the general population who are deficient.

No matter what the lab slip says you want a level of 50. Forty is suboptimal and below that deficient.

An alternative if you don't want to get the blood test is to just start taking 10,000 IU of D3 per day (you could do it once a week at 70,000 IU...make sure whatever you use is a D3 form). It's safe for healthy adults at that level no matter the underlying levels and will correct a deficiency as well.

The vitamin D council website has lots of good information about vitamin D.

Eliminate refined sugars, HFCS and processed foods completely out of your diet, or consume them minimally (my only weak point is an occasional Nutella crepe :D). Have a regular biorhythm (regular sleeping cycles, regular daily routine, regular meals). Drink lots of water, and some herb tisanes which calm you in the evenings, or green tea if you like it. Walk daily, or do some moderate exercise. Meditate / pray / whatever your technique for emotional/spiritual balance. Hug and kiss your kids a lot, try to have as best possible emotional atmosphere around you.

If you like or overeat carbs, try to eat meals which are 1:1:1 proteins, vegetables and carbs, that way you prevent being carb-dependent, which is also one of the sources of fatigue.

Have you thought about Chemical Sensitivities?

My DH has Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, it make shim extremely fatigued. we have found that completely clearing our house from triggers has helped enormously. he had to sleep out on the outside veranda for 4 years while we went through this process, including ripping up floors ( made out of particleboard flooring) change from natural gas to alternate sources etc. build on a special bedroom that has three sides windows for ventilation etc.

diet was not enough. he is vastly improved now.

Exercise is so huge for me. Since you're already used to walking 3 times a week, you could easily start doing Couch to 5K. It just has you start out running for one minute intervals in the first week, then you increase very gradually. I had never run before in my life, and was able to run my first race (a 10K) about 3.5 months after I started C25K.

And I can tell such a *huge* difference in my energy level and emotional outlook for about 36 hours after each time I run... I mean, I might be *tired* from the run, but that's different, you know? Getting enough vitamin D seems to play a role for me as well -- especially now that we're passed the time of year when it's possible to get enough vitamin D from the sun in North America.

Oh...I am feeling better already! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I'm going to take time to seriously consider all of your suggestions and then figure out the ones I know I'll be able to stick with and begin there.

Alright...I'm off to take a walk! :001_smile: Sunshine, fresh air, and exercise!

Exercise is so huge for me. Since you're already used to walking 3 times a week, you could easily start doing Couch to 5K. It just has you start out running for one minute intervals in the first week, then you increase very gradually. I had never run before in my life, and was able to run my first race (a 10K) about 3.5 months after I started C25K.

Wow! Congratulations on your first race! Funny you should mention the C25K. I was thinking about looking into starting it. I have lots of online friends who run and they are such an inspiration.

We are doing the GAPS diet (gaps.me) and experiencing amazing results. My dh lost 1o lbs in 3 weeks, with normal activity levels. My energy is up, the kids' eczema is subsiding, and mood swings are beginning to level. A church member commented on my glowing skin. The first weeks were hard, but now that we are over the hump we are healing in leaps and bounds!

When we are done with GAPS we'll likely do a less restricted version forever; perhaps Paleo or something similar.

If the UPS guy ever gets here with my supplements I'll let you know in a week how it is working.

• I've started an exercise program - I burn 265 calories a day.

• I'm back on my sleep schedule - 11p to 8a

• I'm getting out of the house more - Tai Chi class for dh and me one night a week

• The supplements - ubiquinol, Vit D-3, Alpha Lipotic Acid, magnesium citrate, calcium citrate, glucosomine and chondroitin and Acetyl L-Carnitine for my hyperthyroid.

• I've pretty much become vegetarian.

Unfortunately I haven't kicked the soda habit or the white sugar in my tea habit. I might find the courage to do that next year.

if you don't have milk in your tea, try a good quality Stevia. It tastes just like sugar in tea, but only if you don't add milk. I don't like stevia in anything with milk.

Also, agave nectar in tea is good and doesn't increase blood sugar.

if you don't have milk in your tea, try a good quality Stevia. It tastes just like sugar in tea, but only if you don't add milk. I don't like stevia in anything with milk.

I have started putting Stevia in my tea (I drink it daily), without milk. I'm nervous to try it in other items. :tongue_smilie: I like sweets! (But don't have them too often.)

Cr@p! I take milk in my hot tea. Probably 2-6 cups a day in the winter. I like iced in the warmer months, but it gets unsatisfying sooner rather than later.

Dh uses agave nectar in his coffee. He said tea doesn't taste right with it so I didn't even try it.

Since I can't seem to be able to get by without sugar, we've been buying the unbleached organic sugar just for tea.

I have started putting Stevia in my tea (I drink it daily), without milk. I'm nervous to try it in other items. :tongue_smilie: I like sweets! (But don't have them too often.)

there is actually a Stevia cookbook. I haven't bought it or tried anything baked or cooked with it in it.

Stevia in clear liquids is SO good!

I've tried a lot of things over the past few years.

I cut out all sugar for a while, but have slowly added that back in but keeping it minimal.

No coffee.

No chemicals as much as possible. Have switched to a shampoo bar and vinegar rinse, oils or lots of icky stuff free lotions. Toothsoap for toothpaste, vinegar/water/baking soda for house cleaning. Charlies Soap for laundry.

I never really ate much refined or overprocessed foods.

Take Vitamin D, B complex, iron, evening primrose oil, co-q 10 and a multi, daily. (These have helped TREMENDOUSLY)

I'm eating a lot less gluten, my son can't have it and I've realized I feel SO much better without it. I almost immediately get very tired after eating gluten.

Trying to pamper myself a bit has helped me to take better care of myself. I bought a couple of jeans that look good on me, got a pedicure, and make sure to use an eye cream at night, put on some lip gloss before going out. These are little things that I did more of before having kids and things I had zero energy to care about while battling fatigue. But it does help, I've started to walk a couple of miles once a week and signed up for a pilates class, things I didn't have the energy to do because I just didn't care enough about how I looked.

what have you done?

Fatigue and a general feeling of blah have taken over. Not in a depression sense, as I know what that is like. This is different.

I really need/want to make some lifestyle changes. I'm talking about diet and exercise mainly. I know I need to start out slow, or I'll end up getting overwhelmed and throwing in the towel.

I go for a walk 'bout 3 times a week, but I am planning to go more. Maybe even start running. I don't eat a lot of sweets but know I should get more vegetables in my diet.

What are some things I could start doing to see some changes? Some things that have worked for you.

No more caffeine?

No more sugar?

Eliminate high fructose corn syrup?

Vitamins?

Protein smoothies?

Thanks for your insights! :001_smile:

I have cut way back on sugar and it's really helped. I didn't think I could give up sweet tea, but I don't even miss it anymore. I check the sugar content in processed foods, so even though I haven't deliberately cut out HFCS, I'm sure I'm not consuming as much of it as I did in the past. I try to avoid processed foods in general, but sometimes they are a necessary convenience.

I changed my diet to increase veggies/salad and decrease carbs. I lost 15 lbs just by changing my diet with no counting calories and no exercise whatsoever.

I started T-Tapp a couple months ago and I feel better when I do it a few times per week. Walking does not have the same effect as T-Tapp for whatever reason.

Edited by LizzyBee

I started drinking a natural "cola" product last year, about the beginning of the school year. It's by Blue Sky and is their ginseng cola. It contains 200 mg of ginseng, along with vitamins A,C and E.

I was just trying to find a "treat" drink for myself in the afternoons that didn't include high fructose corn syrup. But by Thanksgiving both my husband and myself were noticing that the crushing fatigue that had always been my life, along with the 10-12 hours of sleep I'd always needed, were gone. Just gone. I can sleep 6-7 hours at night and am perfectly fine. I can even do that for 4-5 nights in a row (I haven't tried longer).

No more naps, which I'd always had to take in past. No more bed by 8. No more inability to get up in the morning.

Since I haven't done anything else other than this, I have to guess that it's the ginseng that has helped me so much....

I've struggled with fatigue for the past month. I've been blaming it on stress (which I know might be a factor) but I do think it is a vit D issue. We swam every day possible this summer. So, I've started a vit D supplement to go along with my vitamins, calcium/mag, and fish oil. I've also cut out completely coffee. I've cut my beloved dark chocolate back to 1/4 what it used to be. My doctor highly recommended a flexibility program to improve fatigue.

One big change I have made that I think made a quick improvement was an increase in fiber. I'm eating lentils or other legumes and combining them to make complete proteins: nuts, seeds, etc.

Exercising is a huge stress reliever. Avoiding large carb intake, or if I can't control myself, settle for a lesser carb portion. There are just times that dishes I eat need carbs for it to be just the right eating experience. Drinking two cups of hot steaming green tea also helps me a lot. Going with the mindset that it can be worse than what I'm going through at the moment. Giving thanks for the blessings instead of counting the negatives. Smiling, touching, hugging, throwing kind words at my children and husband. Finding ways to put a smile on everyone's face. Reaching out to family and friends with a phone call, email, and a visit. Start living and stop dreaming.

My dd and I have been recently seeing a doctor for this...unexplained fatigue. She was tested for food allergies and it came back with egg, wheat, soy, dairy, egg, corn and seasame. I wasn't tested, but since I was having trouble too, I decided that we would BOTH eliminate those things from our diet.

It has only been a few days, but I swear I can already feel the fog beginning to lift.

Anyway, you may want to cut some of the major allergens out of your diet, or maybe even go get tested. The more I read, the more I realize that a good portion of our immediate and extended family are suffering from fatigue due to food allergies.

me, I prioritize sleep.

When I am tired and foggy, I don't care about exercise or eating right.

I also evaluate all my commitments and see if there are things that are no longer important to me that I need to cut out. Those things are taking up time, energy and enthusiasm that I need to direct in other areas.

I learned last year that it was gluten and yeast sensitivities that were causing my fatigue, mental fogginess, irritability, etc. I am still amazed at how much better I feel eating gluten-free that it isn't even really a temptation to cheat.

Hope you can find something that helps!