Menu

What are essentials of American Culture?

We've been living outside the US for 5 of the last 7 years. And the 2 years that were in the US were in Hawaii, which has a very unique melange of a culture. My kids are woefully unaware of many of the basics of American culture, from who Elvis is to what is big band or country and western. They frequently strike others as odd because they don't know that the Oakland Raiders are a football team (that one was pretty funny to watch) or because they've never seen the Simpsons (I'm pretty ok with that one).

We're moving back to the US, at least for a while. I'm thinking of taking the first couple months and doing some intensive intro into the some of the distinctives of American culture.

So if you're an American and you had a chance to show an alien what you think the best or most representative is, what would you pick.

If you're from outside the US, what would you most want to see if you visited America. What strikes you as important or representative?

We'll be living in the DC area, but have family in Ohio, Texas and New Mexico. I'm sort of treating our time on this tour as if we might get posted outside the US for years again, because I don't know how long we'll be in the US.

Update: Also, what are your favorite American history fiction books. What should we make sure we don't miss out on.

I would do a thorough study of American history and visit all the sites you can that you will be living near. I think you will get quite a bit from just that. Most of our cultural knowledge comes from exposure over time and isn't something that is easily identified and "taught" so much as absorbed. My older children would only know who the Raiders are because we live in that general area and there are bumper stickers. We are not big into football here so I am not sure that is terribly relevant to life in America!

I would probably do a study on the Declaration of Independence though as I think that everyone should know about that. :)

Well I had always thought I was raising my kids pretty "American", but I have discovered that they are culturally illiterate in some areas. We get a lot of American tv here, and I buy books and movies, etc., when we're home each summer. Even so, last summer I bought ds a crossword puzzle book in the States, and as he's working through it now I realize how little he knows of a lot of American culture. He keeps asking me a lot of questions like about different sports teams, specific musician groups, etc. So that might be one option, to get puzzle books or games that include questions about American culture (like Trivial Pursuit?). That might at least familiarize them with some of the names?

FWIW they have similar trouble sometimes at their soccer practices, when the coaches (almost all British) have the kids choose team names and the other kids (most of them European) call out a huge number of local European teams (like Machester United, etc.) and my kids just shout "America!" lol.

I knew a guy who had grown up as a missionary kid in Indonesia. He was in his forties, but would still sometimes have to say, 'Sorry, I don't get that reference - I grew up overseas.' He was quite unworried about it. So the alternative is just to arm your children with an equivalent phrase and suggest they ask a lot of questions.

Laura

I knew a guy who had grown up as a missionary kid in Indonesia. He was in his forties, but would still sometimes have to say, 'Sorry, I don't get that reference - I grew up overseas.' He was quite unworried about it. So the alternative is just to arm your children with an equivalent phrase and suggest they ask a lot of questions.

Laura

I'm not so much worried that they won't get references as I'm thinking through what little things to revel in while we're in the US.

And I am sometimes a little surprised at what my kids don't know. Maybe they wouldn't have known who Elvis was even living in the US, since it's not like we play his music around the house. But it was pretty funny to get that question when we stopped for a night outside Memphis.

Maybe they wouldn't have known who Elvis was even living in the US, since it's not like we play his music around the house. But it was pretty funny to get that question when we stopped for a night outside Memphis.
My kids probably wouldn't have, except that now we're reading The Red Pyramid and there's part of the book that takes place at Graceland, lol.

How about some "American" foods? It's funny to me, since America is made up of such a mish-mash of other countries' cultures, yet there are things that scream "American!"

Like string cheese, McDonald's and other fast food places (Wendy's got its start in Ohio, btw), pizza (I know--you'd think it was Italian, but it's become Americanized), hot dogs, canned spagetti, Lunchables--

I'm not saying they should eat all that carp, or that it's the best of America, I'm just saying those things are eaten all the time here, and it might be good to know about.

Toys and internet culture--Facebook, Webkinz, Wii, some of the more common video game characters, Disney Channel shows, TV references

Again, not saying they should participate, just knowing the references.

Texas - The Alamo and the main participants in it, San Jacinto and Battleship Texas (great time to brush up on WW history), cowboy culture and importance and oil and energy industry. While you're in TX visit Austin. You can find some reasonable historical reasons to go, but really, it's just one of my favorite places. :) On your drive in the South, you can visit historic Civil War sites, drive the Natchez Trace, cross the Ponchatrain and hit New Orleans. Just walking through New Orleans will give your kids a cultural experience.

Ohio - Battle of Toledo, engineering and importance of Erie canal, Great Lakes (good book - Paddle to the Sea), NFL Hall of Fame. While in the midWest/Northeast, you can visit some historic Revolutionary war sites, Amish country and then Hershey, PA.

New Mexico - Native American study, Spanish Missions, Kit Carson, Los Alamos and the Manhattan Project (Green Glass Sea is a good book on this for kids - not a ton of info, but interesting personal take on life in Los Alamos during that time.)

If you're talking about sight-seeing, I'd visit some of the major cities like NY, DC, Philadelphia, Boston, or San Franciso, then do some things like national parks, the Grand Canyon, Florida or the California coast. Interweave your history lessons with visiting the actual places.

As far as culture, just because it's American doesn't mean it has to be base like reality TV. :D We have wonderful theater, ballet and other dance, symphony, etc. See a Broadway show or a performance by NYC Ballet or Joffrey in Chicago, go to a Boston Pops concert. Visit Norman Rockwell's museum in Stockbridge, MA - his paintings exemplify Americana. Go to a baseball game; it's America's sport. Eat everywhere - Americans have very distinct tastes in food regionally. Visit Disney if you haven't been there. Have fun!

Edited by Mejane

When I think of American food I think of steak, fried chicken, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes, hot dogs, hamburgers, pot roast, chili, apple pie, Thanksgiving fare (turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, etc.). For all I know most of these originated elsewhere, but they are what I think of when I think of traditional American Food.

To me a big thing would be to understand and develop a sense of pride in being American. I would do that by studying the American revolution. Not just the war, but the reasons behind the war. What was it that people were willing to die for? And then learn about how our country is different from others and what makes it special. This could extend all the way to things such as pride in out national flag, as mentioned by a previous poster. If you want to bring it into current events you could do a study on how our current government operates compared to how the founding fathers intended it to operate. (BTW - I am not saying it is being run correctly or incorrectly - just that it would be a good way to look at the current culture.)

If you are looking more towards exposing them to current pop culture, you need look no further than Disney. They seem to be involved in everything. I can't really make any recommendations though, as I spend my time trying to lessen my kids' exposure to it.

For what it's worth, my children don't know what the Oakland Raiders are, or the Cleveland Browns for that matter, and we live in Cleveland. My children don't know about the Simpsons, Hannah Montana, or any of those things.

Depending on the age of the children I would suggest some basic American History, the flag, Constitution, Presidents, and American symbols such as the Statue of Liberty, The Liberty Bell, etc. Perhaps some American Folk Tales and patriotic songs.

TCK (Third Culture Kid) jumping in here...slightly off topic, but definitely relevant.

Please read:

http://www.tckworld.com/

and

Third Culture Kids: Growing Up Among Worlds

Please do not expect your children to necessarily adjust and fit back into American culture. Some of them may, some of them may not. Culture shock is huge. It's not just about movies and music, but rather about different attitudes and social expectations. I knew about American movies, music, and history, but none of that helped me in any way upon my return. They will need guidance through it. What may seem obvious to you will not be obvious to them.

Many Blessings on your return.

To me a big thing would be to understand and develop a sense of pride in being American. I would do that by studying the American revolution. Not just the war, but the reasons behind the war. What was it that people were willing to die for? And then learn about how our country is different from others and what makes it special.

:iagree:

My parents are American, but I grew up in Asia and did not live in the U.S. until high school. It took me many years to understand what "proud to be an American" means, since "American" meant something very different to me as a third culture kid. Like, why would someone want to say a Pledge of Allegiance every day? I had learned the facts of American history, but not the cultural distinctions.

Being in DC (:seeya: neighbor!), you can do just that. I'd start at the Smithsonian's American History museum. There's something about standing there in front of that giant flag that taught me more than memorizing the names, capitals, and nicknames of all 50 states ever could have.

I'd also spend some time studying the Civil War--drive up to Gettysburg for a couple of days (if you can manage this over July 2-4 next summer, all the better), head down to Petersburg (just south of Richmond), and walk the sites yourselves. This area is stuffed to the gills with Civil War battlefields and museums.

Go to a Nationals' baseball game and eat hotdogs and popcorn. (Er, next season, that is. But don't go to a Redskins game. A few years in Texas thankfully taught me that the Dallas Cowboys are America's team. NO FLAMES PLEASE! :lol:)

Go to parades--DC has some great ones! but especially Memorial Day parades. Head into DC and watch the lighting of the national Christmas tree. Closer to Christmas, head west to Manassas and drive through the incredible lights display (http://www.nvrpa.org/park/bull_run_festival_of_lights). If you're here next summer, there's nothing like being on the National Mall for July 4 fireworks. (You will have to clone yourselves, obviously, so you can be in DC and Gettysburg at the same time.)

For me, it's that sort of thing--participating/attending in person cultural/memorial/holiday sorts of events or festivals--that has helped me better understand the feeling of what it means to be an "American."

TCK (Third Culture Kid) jumping in here...slightly off topic, but definitely relevant.

Please read:

and

Please do not expect your children to necessarily adjust and fit back into American culture. Some of them may, some of them may not. Culture shock is huge. It's not just about movies and music, but rather about different attitudes and social expectations. I knew about American movies, music, and history, but none of that helped me in any way upon my return. They will need guidance through it. What may seem obvious to you will not be obvious to them.

This too. I did not have anyone helping me, and my first experience with Americans was at a 5A Texas public high school, where they eat football for breakfast. SHOCK! I cried myself to sleep every night that first year.

It took a lot of time and patience on all our parts for me to learn not all Americans are scary. But I eventually ended up even marrying one. Who knew! :D

This too. I did not have anyone helping me, and my first experience with Americans was at a 5A Texas public high school, where they eat football for breakfast. SHOCK! I cried myself to sleep every night that first year.

It took a lot of time and patience on all our parts for me to learn not all Americans are scary. But I eventually ended up even marrying one. Who knew! :D

I spent years crying and praying we'd go back to the Pacific where I could melt back into my "safe island in the middle of nowhere" even though I was the only blonde kid in class. It was easier being the obvious outsider than being the kid that people looked at, assumed I belonged in such and such a box, and then couldn't figure out why I was so "weird". Though it was torment while I was a kid, I've had old classmates contact me on FB and their comment was "you looked at the world differently than everyone else".

Meeting my husband helped. He's the one that really got my feet back under me.

My parents are American, but I grew up in Asia and did not live in the U.S. until high school. It took me many years to understand what "proud to be an American" means, since "American" meant something very different to me as a third culture kid. Like, why would someone want to say a Pledge of Allegiance every day? I had learned the facts of American history, but not the cultural distinctions.

Being in DC (:seeya: neighbor!), you can do just that. I'd start at the Smithsonian's American History museum. There's something about standing there in front of that giant flag that taught me more than memorizing the names, capitals, and nicknames of all 50 states ever could have.

I'd also spend some time studying the Civil War--drive up to Gettysburg for a couple of days (if you can manage this over July 2-4 next summer, all the better), head down to Petersburg (just south of Richmond), and walk the sites yourselves. This area is stuffed to the gills with Civil War battlefields and museums.

Go to a Nationals' baseball game and eat hotdogs and popcorn. (Er, next season, that is. But don't go to a Redskins game. A few years in Texas thankfully taught me that the Dallas Cowboys are America's team. NO FLAMES PLEASE! :lol:)

Go to parades--DC has some great ones! but especially Memorial Day parades. Head into DC and watch the lighting of the national Christmas tree. Closer to Christmas, head west to Manassas and drive through the incredible lights display (http://www.nvrpa.org/park/bull_run_festival_of_lights). If you're here next summer, there's nothing like being on the National Mall for July 4 fireworks. (You will have to clone yourselves, obviously, so you can be in DC and Gettysburg at the same time.)

For me, it's that sort of thing--participating/attending in person cultural/memorial/holiday sorts of events or festivals--that has helped me better understand the feeling of what it means to be an "American."

These things sound so neat. I have lived in CA most of my life and have never had the opportunity to do anything on the historical east coast as an adult and wow, I would love to do these things!

Of course I'd go see all the wonderful history around the D.C. area and spend lots of time at the various Smithsonian museums. For everyday stuff I'd take them to shopping malls, restaurants, and places like big books stores (Barnes and Noble, etc.) They will quickly pick up lots of pop culture from television if you allow that, too....

Between your area and the places your family members live, you pretty much encompass most of the regions of the U.S., so visits to all those places will help you cover regional differences in the U.S.

My dd doesn't' now who the Raiders are. Or any sports team for that matter. We are not into sports here. Simpsons, again, no idea. She does know who Elvis was. She also knows what Area 51 is and who Leroy Jethro Gibbs is. So knowledge of pop culture varies from person to person, family to family.

American culture is more than that. It is about patriotism, and southern hospitality and that mid-west work ethic and the New York City attitude, and the casualness of the west coast. The American culture has to be lived to be understood. In the same way the culture of China or Australia or any other place needs to be lived to understand.

Like string cheese, McDonald's and other fast food places (Wendy's got its start in Ohio, btw), pizza (I know--you'd think it was Italian, but it's become Americanized), hot dogs, canned spagetti, Lunchables--

I'm not saying they should eat all that carp, or that it's the best of America, I'm just saying those things are eaten all the time here, and it might be good to know about.

Toys and internet culture--Facebook, Webkinz, Wii, some of the more common video game characters, Disney Channel shows, TV references

Again, not saying they should participate, just knowing the references.

These parts of American culture make me cringe, though I know you're right and it's what we've exported and what most people think of.

My dd doesn't' now who the Raiders are. Or any sports team for that matter. We are not into sports here. Simpsons, again, no idea. She does know who Elvis was. She also knows what Area 51 is and who Leroy Jethro Gibbs is. So knowledge of pop culture varies from person to person, family to family.

American culture is more than that. It is about patriotism, and southern hospitality and that mid-west work ethic and the New York City attitude, and the casualness of the west coast. The American culture has to be lived to be understood. In the same way the culture of China or Australia or any other place needs to be lived to understand.

I agree. My kids have no clue about the vast majority of America's pop culture and well, I'm glad. LOL. For what it's worth, I didn't know much about pop culture growing up either and I'm also glad.

My kids know very little about sports and nothing about specific teams. They don't know who Elvis was. They don't watch television so they don't know who Hannah Montana is or The Simpsons. They don't know cartoon characters. They don't play with electronic toys. Basically they would perform as badly on a cultural crossword puzzle as I do. Give us one about history or science or literature and we'll do better. LOL.

So if you're an American and you had a chance to show an alien what you think the best or most representative is, what would you pick.

If you're from outside the US, what would you most want to see if you visited America. What strikes you as important or representative?

Update: Also, what are your favorite American history fiction books. What should we make sure we don't miss out on.

I'd visit in Washington D.C. -- The White House, The Supreme Court, The Capitol. The Washington, Lincoln, and Jefferson Monuments. The Vietnam Memorial, WWII Memorial, and Arlington National.

and also go to New York City: The Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, the Stock Exchange, 5th Avenue, and the UN.

Fictional American History books -- Carry On, Mr. Bowditch; Little House in the Big Woods & Prairie/Farmer Boy; Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry; and To Kill a Mockingbird -- off of the top of my head.

I agree with all the others who said to tour DC and the National Parks. You really can't go wrong there. Although the boys didn't want to go, they were impressed with the Museum of American History after the fact. Lots to see and discuss there. Gettysburg was fantastic. Now, not sure where in NM you'll be, but I highly recommend Roswell.:D That was such a fun stop on our trip around the US this summer.

Food wasn't so much an issue, you can get anything out there and I've heard of some great curry/Indian places in the DC area. ;) The culture shock for us came in the HUMONGOUS size of servings when we ate out. I wouldn't worry too much. I think the kids will do fine and adjust as kids so often do.

Please read:

and

Many Blessings on your return.

Yes, this is a good book. I should re-read it as we're getting closer to moving. One thing that I realized reading it was that we had so many disconnects from "average".

Not only have we lived overseas and outside the mainland, but we're military and we're homeschoolers. I overheard my son tell a Boy Scout leader once that he'd missed the Pinewood Derby the year before because he was in Rome. And we often stick out at homeschool groups because we've actually traveled and seen many of the places that we studied. If you think it's awkward to be in a room with homeschoolers who don't value classical education, you should see the reactions when your kid starts to describe the Colosseum or the Parthenon.

Yes, this is a good book. I should re-read it as we're getting closer to moving. One thing that I realized reading it was that we had so many disconnects from "average".

Not only have we lived overseas and outside the mainland, but we're military and we're homeschoolers. I overheard my son tell a Boy Scout leader once that he'd missed the Pinewood Derby the year before because he was in Rome. And we often stick out at homeschool groups because we've actually traveled and seen many of the places that we studied. If you think it's awkward to be in a room with homeschoolers who don't value classical education, you should see the reactions when your kid starts to describe the Colosseum or the Parthenon.

Being homeschoolers is a plus to being a TCK. I just got tossed in the shark tank of public school upon re-entry, from a tiny island, private school.

Folk songs

National Parks

US Holidays, like planting geraniums on your grandparents' graves on Memorial Day and having cake with raspberry jam between the layers sprinkled with confectionary sugar on Washington's Birthday and going to the parade on Patriot's Day.

NASA

Children's books

I might discuss some things like the Puritan influence that still hovers over the US in spots, making some states not sell liquor on Sundays, nudity taboos, an emphasis on hard work and honesty, etc.

I'd probably discuss states' rights versus federal rights and which things vary from state to state and which things don't.

This would be a good time to go over the structure of your local government. If you have town meeting, then you need to go over how that works. You could go over who is responsible for what in a town and how things like water and waste disposal work.

You could watch Sat. morning cartoons and eat sweet cereal GRIN. (I don't know if that is a US thing or not, though.)

The easiest way to do all that might be to study each state for two days.

I think the hardest part is going to be to adjust to the social expectations. Between our tight, rather insular family culture, no tv, homeschooling, spending summers isolated on a boat, and traveling with an international group of people here or overseas for several months seach year from the time he was 11, my middle son has some of the characteristics of a third culture kid. His biggest problem is that he doesn't get the social part quite right with his peers. He has no trouble in an international group, or in a group of older or younger people. I'm not sure you can do much about that part, either.

-Nan

Re-entry into American culture:

Probably one of the most dominant aspects of American culture is our orientation to time. Countries which share our attitude toward time are in the minority. Americans are incredibly tuned in to the clock. In other cultures, relationships and events and going with the flow often come before the exact time the big hand and little hand of the clock dictate.

So knowing that being 5 minutes late is totally fine, but 15 minutes late is "late" and 1/2 hour late and people start to worry about you is important.

American culture is very consumeristic. Most of our friends who come from other countries like to visit the malls, etc, but on the other hand are rather overwhelmed with the choices.

If you've been divorced from our culture for a long time, the levels of sexual content in even "family" time on TV, movies, etc. might be shocking.

Things to visit : As others have said, you can certainly start in D.C. with what is there. You might want to do a year of American history and plan to visit various parts of the US as you study the history:

Precolonial & American Revolution : Jamestown and Williamsburg--right nearby;

Plimoth Plantation, Boston --there is a trail in the city itself--maybe "Freedom Trail" (?) covers Paul Revere's house and a lot of other sites. It's wonderful and you can walk it. The culture in Boston is awesome as well. The art museum is very worth visiting while you're there as well as the Aquarium. The yummy food--lobster, etc. at Quincy Market is great.

Boston Public Garden is a must-visit. Even though your kids are older, read Make Way for Ducklings first.

Maybe take in a Red Sox game?

Philadelphia: Revolution: Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, Museum of Art, Ben Franklin's house Philly cheese steaks.

Nearby: Valley Forge (not a lot to see there, but cool to be there. Great place for a picnic.)

Jersey Shore: boardwalk at Ocean City, NJ.

Civil War: Gettysburg, PA. Stunning in the fall

lots of stuff in VA. Check out Fredericksburg.

VA-NC: Drive the Blueridge Parkway in the fall.

North Carolina: Outer Banks; white water rafting (or WVA is good for that, too.) Check out state parks in NC, WVA, and Tenn for cheap cabins to stay in if you're not campers, but would like the experience of the mountains

South Carolina: Myrtle Beach (If you like crowded, commerical beaches), Hilton Head Island, Charleston (Civil War, but also a beautiful city)

Nashville, TN for country/western and other music

If you visit New Mexico, hit Santa Fe, and I would make the drive to the Grand Canyon and also up to Rocky Mountain National Park. It is SO gorgeous.

Fav. American history books:

For your kids' ages, A History of US by Hakim would be perfect. We read a lot of biographies. The Landmark books are usually quite good. Look for them on ebay. (They are usually written by famous authors but are written at a middle-school level.) Some fiction: Johnny Tremain, Ben and Me, Mr. Revere & I (the last two are by Lawson, are fiction and funny), Across Five Aprils (Civil War) , Little Women(Civil War), Farmer Boy (or Little House on the Prarie, but I see you have sons), Dragonwings (turn of century San Francisco), Little Britches (turn of the century--hysterical autobiography not fiction, but very fun), Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (I think Depression era story of an African American family in the South).

If you were an alien...

I'd do some music history.

Folk, spirituals, blues, and jazz.

I'd eat at old hole in the wall diners to eat things like a coke and a chicken pot pie. I'd take you to eat in all the awesome international restaurants so you could see how people have come from all over the world and bless us with their yummy cuisine and culture. Since you'll be in DC we'd hit Dukems on a night where there's music and dancers. We'd also find some good soul food.

I'd show you some classic movies (I'll assume you're a young alien, and only suggest family movies), like Charlie Brown, Annie, Where the Red Fern Grows, etc.

Do a lot of camping, hit the museums.

In NM we'd go see all the ruins, eat like there's no tomorrow, and hit the open markets...

I'd take you to garage sales.

I'm a California girl, so I'd take you to the Hollywood Bowl, go to the beach over and over again. Watch the sunset from every beach in Laguna and Newport, and have bonfires in Corona Del Mar. Maybe give the kids surf lessons? I'd take you to Malibu to see how beautiful the beach and the hills live together, and to eat fish tacos.

We'd drive up to the Redwoods and Yosemite.

Guest mrsjamiesouth
We've been living outside the US for 5 of the last 7 years. And the 2 years that were in the US were in Hawaii, which has a very unique melange of a culture. My kids are woefully unaware of many of the basics of American culture, from who Elvis is to what is big band or country and western. They frequently strike others as odd because they don't know that the Oakland Raiders are a football team (that one was pretty funny to watch) or because they've never seen the Simpsons (I'm pretty ok with that one).

We're moving back to the US, at least for a while. I'm thinking of taking the first couple months and doing some intensive intro into the some of the distinctives of American culture.

We'll be living in the DC area, but have family in Ohio, Texas and New Mexico. I'm sort of treating our time on this tour as if we might get posted outside the US for years again, because I don't know how long we'll be in the US.

Right in DC you must visit the White House and the Smithsonian museums. Those both contain so much American History. If you are going near Amish Country in Ohio I would stop and see how America was a place people came to so they could freely worship. The Alamo is pretty awesome in Texas. Read lots of stories about Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone, Sam Houston, and Pecos Bill.

Are you moving back from Japan? If so - these were the things that hit me when coming to this country:

It is dirty here in the city compared to Japan. And graffiti - that was a huge culture shock for me! (There is some in Japan but it does not compare).

Seeing homeless people. I guess there are some homeless now in Tokyo but you don't see them like you do here on the street corners of city streets.

It's not ok for young girls and teenage girls to hold hands for innocent friendship reasons.

No one wears uniforms! Or at least to the same degree.

If you get gas at a gas station, the attendants won't stop traffic for you so you can enter traffic (not that there is as much need for that here in the US).

You don't bow when you say hi to someone. (Though I still find myself doing it.)

Fashions for kids and teens aren't nearly as cutesy. Some would say this is a positive culture shock:001_smile:

Kids will talk back in school.:eek:

Money is not in units of 10. Those quarters really mess things up. . .

Mileage and other measurements aren't in units of ten either. Go metric!

Are you moving back from Japan? If so - these were the things that hit me when coming to this country:

It is dirty here in the city compared to Japan. And graffiti - that was a huge culture shock for me! (There is some in Japan but it does not compare).

Seeing homeless people. I guess there are some homeless now in Tokyo but you don't see them like you do here on the street corners of city streets.

It's not ok for young girls and teenage girls to hold hands for innocent friendship reasons.

If you get gas at a gas station, the attendants won't stop traffic for you so you can enter traffic (not that there is as much need for that here in the US).

You don't bow when you say hi to someone. (Though I still find myself doing it.)

Fashions for kids and teens aren't nearly as cutesy. Some would say this is a positive culture shock:001_smile:

Such a great summary! You also reminded me how fast everything is there too. That took some getting used to, driving over 40 mph. And something that struck us about DC in general, was how loud it was. All the horns honking, sirens, it was really loud.

When do we leave? :D

If you were an alien...

I'd do some music history.

Folk, spirituals, blues, and jazz.

I'd eat at old hole in the wall diners to eat things like a coke and a chicken pot pie. I'd take you to eat in all the awesome international restaurants so you could see how people have come from all over the world and bless us with their yummy cuisine and culture. Since you'll be in DC we'd hit Dukems on a night where there's music and dancers. We'd also find some good soul food.

I'd show you some classic movies (I'll assume you're a young alien, and only suggest family movies), like Charlie Brown, Annie, Where the Red Fern Grows, etc.

Do a lot of camping, hit the museums.

In NM we'd go see all the ruins, eat like there's no tomorrow, and hit the open markets...

I'd take you to garage sales.

I'm a California girl, so I'd take you to the Hollywood Bowl, go to the beach over and over again. Watch the sunset from every beach in Laguna and Newport, and have bonfires in Corona Del Mar. Maybe give the kids surf lessons? I'd take you to Malibu to see how beautiful the beach and the hills live together, and to eat fish tacos.

We'd drive up to the Redwoods and Yosemite.

I'm not sure what will hit me as odd this time back. When we came back from Germany, I was surprised at how much latent stress I'd had with reading EVERYTHING in German (like signs and billboards). I don't know if I'll be relieved to be able to read signs again or if it will seem like sensory overload after two years of ignoring most signs and advertising.

I'll miss ebi fillets at McDonalds. A lot.

I was surprised when we came back from Germany at how different things smelled. Not that I thought Germany was smelly. But our water in Berlin wasn't chlorinated, so taking a shower in the US the first few weeks was like visiting a pool that had just been chlorinated. And I would have sworn that US trash bags had some perfumy scent added to them.

The number of flags didn't surprise me, but the number of yellow ribbon and flag magnets on cars did. Though I think compared to the way Japanese cars seem to be adorned sometimes, US cars will look quite bare.

Our Japanese students have said that one of the biggest surprises is that everything in the U.S. is so big. Houses are big, food is big, cars are big, people are big. There is more space. Both students who have since returned to Japan said that everything felt small and crowded until they re-adjusted.

Cat

And sometimes even "born in America and only spent 4 years out of country" Americans don't understand the whole "daily pledge of allegiance" thing, either. :001_huh: Not trying to start a debate, but my father, brothers and husband, all Air Force only say the oath when joining and re-enlisting. It's not like they have to give a plege or oath EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. And they are the ones defending the country!

/rant

Big Bands are not exclusively American, and I don't think knowing Elvis is either, although I guess it depends on where you are coming from.

From the times we were in the US here are some of the things that we found distinctly American:

*Flying the flag EVERYWHERE

*Pumpkins all over the place at Fall, on the same note, Apple picking, pumpkin patches and rides, pumpkin fudge, corn decorations, Halloween and the way it's not just about scary stuff

*NASCAR

*Tailgateing, that's our #1 supercool thing about being in the US!

*Consumerism, yeah, probably one you don't want to emphasise, you guys have HUGE houses, big cars and a LOT of STUFF!!

*That kind of rah rah we are the best, forget about the rest thing you US folks have going on, might be hard to educate the kids on though huh.

*Those red barns, too cute. They are everywhere.

DH says polite people, extroverted people, a different way of relating. Hard to explain really.