Menu

Bread Pudding? And a Recipe Sharing Question

My son was served bread pudding at a friend's home. He immediately fell in love with it, and asked me to make some. This isn't anything I'm remotely familiar with (never heard of it) so I called the mom compliment her and to ask for her recipe.

She said it was a family recipe, and she "just couldn't" share it with me. :001_huh: She's not in the professional cooking business, and we don't travel in the same social circle so it's not like I'd ever show up to a BBQ with an identical dish! But okay, I kind of get that. Not really, but I'm trying to. She seemed put off that I'd ask :blush:.

Do you safely guard a recipe? I always took it as a compliment that someone liked my food enough to ask; the only time I didn't share was when we had a restaurant, but even then I always shared what the basic ingredients were LOL (just not the amounts!)

I googled "bread pudding" and got seventeen bazillion different recipes. I'm overwhelmed. I rarely stray from my usual foods so I don't even have a blog, book, or go-to source that I trust. Do you have a tried-and-true recipe, or a reliable go-to source for new recipes?

TIA ...

My son was served bread pudding at a friend's home. He immediately fell in love with it, and asked me to make some. This isn't anything I'm remotely familiar with (never heard of it) so I called the mom compliment her and to ask for her recipe.

She said it was a family recipe, and she "just couldn't" share it with me. :001_huh: She's not in the professional cooking business, and we don't travel in the same social circle so it's not like I'd ever show up to a BBQ with an identical dish! But okay, I kind of get that. Not really, but I'm trying to. She seemed put off that I'd ask :blush:.

Do you safely guard a recipe? I always took it as a compliment that someone liked my food enough to ask; the only time I didn't share was when we had a restaurant, but even then I always shared what the basic ingredients were LOL (just not the amounts!)

I googled "bread pudding" and got seventeen bazillion different recipes. I'm overwhelmed. I rarely stray from my usual foods so I don't even have a blog, book, or go-to source that I trust. Do you have a tried-and-true recipe, or a reliable go-to source for new recipes?

TIA ...

Don't blush. You didn't do anything wrong.

You were complimenting her. Her "put off" reaction wasn't very gracious, IMO.

Here's a very basic one:

bread pudding on allrecipes

Yes I have ONE recipe I guard, fortunately, no one has asked for it, but if they did, I could honestly say I don't have it written down and really just put in the ingredients until it "looks good". I've never taken the time to write down the amounts and the recipe is so expensive and time consuming I only make it once every couple of years.

Lara

Yes I have ONE recipe I guard, fortunately, no one has asked for it, but if they did, I could honestly say I don't have it written down and really just put in the ingredients until it "looks good". I've never taken the time to write down the amounts and the recipe is so expensive and time consuming I only make it once every couple of years.

Lara

This is kind of what I was thinking. I don't have recipes that I jealously guard. However, there are a few things that you would have to come to my house and make it with me, because I don't have a real recipe. I have taught a couple of people to make salsa this way. If I just handed them a recipe it would not be the same.

I think this is reasonable. You never know...she might have been given the recipe based on a promise not to give the recipe to anyone outside the family. I have received a few recipes with the agreement not to share...these are dear women that are not related...I feel touched that they consider me 'family'.

eta: I'm surprised everyone thinks this is rude. I'm just not reading "just couldn't" as rude. It isn't rude to say 'no'. If she said 'no, get away from me' then yeah, that's rude but if she just said 'no' that's her right.

Edited by happi duck

Nope, that would go against our family rule of "People before things." Recipes are things and you are people, so guarding a recipe could never trump not hurting your feelings. :D Don't feel bad about it at all; you did nothing wrong.

I always go to allrecipes.com and sort the recipes from a search by ratings. At the point when 1500 people have given something 5 stars, you know it's going to be good. :001_smile:

I think the Pioneer Woman's recipe would be truly scrumptious, but just for fun, here's Paula Deen's recipe, which uses Krispy Kreme doughnuts and sweetened condensed milk. Makes my teeth hurt just reading it, but it does look tasty.

I don't guard my recipes. Sheesh.

Oh my! This looks absolutely sinful. I might have to try it. 2 DOZEN doughnuts!!!

I'm glad to share recipes, too. But I don't have one for bread pudding.

I was rebuffed once when I asked a woman what was in her chocolate balls. Her first response was, "I don't share recipes." :001_huh: I didn't want her recipe. I just wanted to know if there was coconut in the middle because I can't stand coconut. Ha--it was just peanut butter. Like buckeyes but completely dipped. FWIW, this woman was proud of her domestic diva-ness.

Good grief!

Cinder

I think this is reasonable. You never know...she might have been given the recipe based on a promise not to give the recipe to anyone outside the family. I have received a few recipes with the agreement not to share...these are dear women that are not related...I feel touched that they consider me 'family'.

eta: I'm surprised everyone thinks this is rude. I'm just not reading "just couldn't" as rude. It isn't rude to say 'no'. If she said 'no, get away from me' then yeah, that's rude but if she just said 'no' that's her right.

The part that I thought was rude was when the OP wrote in her post that the woman seemed put off because she was asked.

Based on the OP's words, the woman's attitude was rude, not her answer.

HTH clear up why I thought it was rude.

This thread made me hungry, so guess what we had for dessert last night? I used a recipe from allrecipes and made rum sauce to go with it. Omigosh, it was soooo good!

PioneerWoman's recipe uses 2 1/2 cups of sugar for something that is made in a 9" pie plate. I don't think I could eat it. The recipes I used had 1 1/4 cups total between the pudding and sauce, and it was plenty sweet.

I'm not sure I understand why people need to have *secret* recipes, either, but I suppose it's their right if they don't want to share. My grandma had recipes she refused to pass on to anyone, and my husband still laments the fact that his Grandma took her molasses cookie recipe to her grave. I've tried various recipes, and he always gives me this sad little disappointed look, and says, "They're good, but they're not Grandma's." :glare: Oh, well.

To me, good food is about sharing, warmth and hospitality, and giving someone a recipe is just an extension of that concept. Then they can share good food with their loved ones.

My extended family loves this recipe that was served in the department store "Lazarus" cafe for years until it was closed down. It calls for whiskey, but my Mom always used rum extract.

http://www.recipesource.com/side-dishes/puddings/01/rec0107.html

There are a variety of bread puddings. You might want to question your son for more info. Did it have raisins? Apple? Nuts? Was there some kind of sauce? Did it taste like caramel? What did he like about it?

HTH,

Joy

:grouphug: Y'all are so great to chime in. I printed out each of the recipes, and I think the kids and I will try a few different ones. I had no idea how many different ways there were to make bread pudding, and I'll definitely ask my son what he remembers of his friend's mom's when we're sorting through the suggestions we got here. Thanks for taking the time; it's been raining all day long, and we're in the baking mood. Hopefully we'll have our first tester made for dessert tonight!

The mom acted miffed. The conversation was cut awkwardly short and I'm kind of "eh" about the next time I have to talk to her because I'm embarassed that I asked and inadvertently offended her. I didn't know if it was some major social faux pas that I committed (because I tend to do that, having grown up in a very different ethnic culture) and am reassured to read that it wasn't a total dumb action on my end. So thanks for that, too, Ladies!