Menu

Tea kettles

Weeeeellllllll how about a lesson on both!!

I also need a bigger kettle (to boil water and make a large pitcher of tea)

and, Bible Time in our house is a special ritual with tea, I was looking for a fairly moderately priced teapot to brew our morning tea. I've been looking and I admit I am lost. Could you educate us???

Lara

I use an electric tea kettle to boil the water.

I have several tea pots, plus some individual mugs/cups, that I brew my tea in (loose tea only, using a diffuser of some kind). I've never felt the need to check the water temp, and my tea always tastes good to me.:-)

Hmpf. Nice photos of your tea kettles, ladies.

I haven't used a tea kettle or tea pot in many years.

I forget the water is on the burner, in my little 1 qt. revere ware copper clad sauce pan. I had to look up the meanings of everything you're talking about (kettles and pots).:blush:

It boils, I pour it in my larger than 6 oz. cup with my three favorite and healthy herb teas, cover it for a half hour. I like it strong.

Now I want a tea kettle.:tongue_smilie:

I thought we were talking TEA and was wondering what the KETTLE was. :blushing:

LOL!!! Everyone jumps in when they see the TEA subject! Too funny.

No, I'm a complete novice in the regular tea arena. I too could also use some education on tea pots vs tea kettles, how to use tea leaves instead of bags (if that's better), etc. Right now, I'm just using the kettle to boil water and using tea bags (also use it to boil water for my yogurt jars, etc). I need a new kettle. I really don't even have any tea pots! Well... one I got for a wedding gift that I've never put tea in. :confused:

I have this one, I think we got it as a wedding gift. It works great. I have a thermometer if I need to check water temp. I have a mesh diffuser from Williams-Sonoma, but I apparently don't know what it's called, I can't find one on their site.

I have the same one! Almost 20 years old now - I love it. Also a wedding gift.

And I found out I can make it look brand spanking new by cleaning it with Bar Keepers Friend (I think I learned that here in the board!)

My love affair with my 1.8 qt. Chantal had lasted for years, when out of the blue I received an Aroma stainless steel electric for my birthday earlier this year. I didn't want the new kettle, and the plan was to hide it away except when the givers were over... but... first to try it (no way out of it, they were there, watching). And... I loved it with a love so pure and strong that to make my tea with any other appliance seemed nothing less than an ugly blot on the fabric of all that is good and right in this world.

Call me fickle if you will, but it's a nice kettle. :tongue_smilie: The Chantal is packed up, ready to go off to college with one of the kids in 10 years or so. :)

I have a British Simplex (for gas) with-coils tea kettle.

http://www.amazon.com/Simplex-Heritage-Gas-Kettle-Chrome/dp/B0006GMMCM%3FSubscriptionId%3D14H876SFAKFS0EHBYQ02%26tag%3Dhubpages-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB0006GMMCM

A kettle is what you boil the water in (but don't brew in) where the tea pot is the inverse.

Bill

Electric kettles are the way to go! I use mine for everything that requires boiled water. It's so quick to boil water, then pour it into a cooking pan. Also, I drink tea every morning, so I use it every day. I have a German one, but in storage in the States, I have this one. My mom has one similar to this but in stainless, and I have serious kettle envy. :D If you get an electric kettle, make sure you get one that doesn't have a coil in the bottom because they are a PITA to clean. Look for one with a flat bottom. If you get mineral build up, you can easily clean it though by boiling a little vinegar.

I have The Whistle Mate, which is a glass tea kettle. LOVE it. It is my favorite of all the kettles I've had, for a few reasons:

1) It is glass, therefore, I can SEE inside to make sure it is cleaned fully.

2) My hand can fit inside to fully wash it.

3) Since it is glass, I can see how hot the water is. If I want to stop it just before it starts to boil, or at a rolling boil, I can do that easily.

4) Because it is so easy to clean, I steep tea right in it for iced tea. All previous kettles were "water only". This has been a big help, and I no longer fret about putting hot water in a plastic pitcher to make iced tea.

Now, I also have a Hot Shot, which was the only type of electric tea kettle available in the USA when I got married. I fell in love with the electric kettles when I was in the UK with my grandmother, before I entered high school. I keep saying I will get a new electric kettle when my Hot Shot dies... but it's still going strong.:glare:

Tea pots. Well, I only have one. Given to my mother, from a dear family member who used to work at Spode. I love it, and should use it more than I do, but more often than not we all want different types of tea.

I've had mine for 15 years (it's from a Spanish company called BRA - "Oro-Inox is style, I think).

Here are some caveats to take into consideration - I'm just showing the link so that you can rule out this style. While it's really pretty, and was way too expensive to justify replacement, consider not choosing one with these features: It is SO LOUD that I have to cover my ears when it is in full whistle mode. A few times, I haven't taken it off of the stove quickly enough, and the force of the steam has blown the spout cover off. I'm glad it didn't hit a window -- it might have cracked the glass. I don't like that I have to use a hot pad hold the handle, and to take off the spout cover. I wish it had a trigger.

I've read lots of positive reviews for the OXO tea kettles.

post-8131-13535083941585_thumb.jpg

post-8131-13535083941585_thumb.jpg

Electric kettles are the way to go! I use mine for everything that requires boiled water. It's so quick to boil water, then pour it into a cooking pan. Also, I drink tea every morning, so I use it every day.

:iagree:

I have a beautimous Christma tea kettle that matches my beautimous Christmas dishes, but I never use it; I just leave it on the stove 'cuz it's cute. And I have a lovely stainless tea kettle, which I finally put away 'cuz I was tired of dusting it. :D Love my electric tea kettle.

If you get an electric kettle, make sure you get one that doesn't have a coil in the bottom because they are a PITA to clean. Look for one with a flat bottom. If you get mineral build up, you can easily clean it though by boiling a little vinegar.

:iagree:

My old copper kettle had a horrible accident which involved a sleepy me, glowing metal, and luckily, no fire. :blushing: When I got married, I received a large Le Creuset kettle with a pull-out whistle. Love it to death. Also received a small Krups electric kettle. Love it to death too, which surprised me. I can't link either one, because they appear to be discontinued.

We have this one from Chef's Choice. We've used it at least twice a day for years and years, and it still looks and acts brand new.

I love this brand. They have excellent customer service! When I was moving (and 8 months pregnant), I dropped my waffle maker (which makes the cutest little heart shaped waffles, btw). The handle broke off. Two years later, I called Chef's Choice to see if I could order a new handle. (It screws on with screws-- very well made and simple, heavy-duty style.) They just gladly sent me a new handle, at their own expense! Wow! :)

Edited by Medieval Mom

I looked and researched tea kettles for the stovetop but ended up buying a stainless steel electric Oster kettle. We use it constantly and we love it! It has more capacity than a stovetop model, and it can keep the water piping hot for a long time with the press of a button. Easy enough for even the dc to use. I wouldn't go back to a stovetop after having this! :)

Electric kettles are the way to go! I use mine for everything that requires boiled water. It's so quick to boil water, then pour it into a cooking pan. Also, I drink tea every morning, so I use it every day.

:iagree:I have this one that I love. I was hesitant at first because I also loved my stove top kettle before that (I guess I get emotionally attached to my kettles!), but after using it there was no going back. My kettle has been going strong for a few years now. I have been impressed!