Menu

Need Exterminator Advice-- FLEAS!!

Is anyone here an exterminator? Or married to one?

We rescued a stray cat a while ago. She lives in the basement because she refuses to come upstairs (thank GOD!) but our basement has become infested with fleas!! NO fleas upstairs or on any pets (all are treated) but our unfinished basement was infested.

One week ago, dh vacuumed the whole basement as best he could (again, it's an unfinished storage area but has concrete floors) moved the cat upstairs (dipped and flea treated-- she's flea free, we checked) Then we taped up all pipe holes (old hot water radiators) and all access and had a professional exterminator treat the basement. He used Precor and Evercide EC Spray. We taped up the door and have not set foot down there in one week. Dh went down tonight for literally 2 minutes and was COVERED. It was worse than before!!!

WHAT is the problem???? ARe these chemicals effective? We have NEVER, EVER had a flea issue before and this is creeping me out BIG TIME.

Dh is going to call the company in the morning, but of course we couldn't get a guarantee because we didn't have the whole house treated. It was $300 to have just the basement done, and our house is over 3,000 square feet on three floors--- plus, we had tests done and NO fleas were found on any other floor.

Did we not wait long enough to go down there? Could this be the last gasp of the last generation? What's been your experience with those chemicals and flea extermination in general?

Thanks for any advice--- I'm literally freaking out. :willy_nilly:

astrid

They are not on the pets--- pets are totally flea-free--- and on Frontline Plus. No fleas or flea dirt. No fleas on first, second or third floor--- I've done the light over the pan of water/dishwashing liquid tests everywhere.

Fleas ONLY in basement, which is completely sealed up, and devoid of all life save for the GAZILLIONS of fleas down there! $300 a week ago, and IT'S WORSE!!!

CAN YOU ALL HEAR ME SCREAMING FROM HERE?

astrid

I "think" the chemicals kill the live fleas and not the eggs/pupa/cocoon thingy. One possibility is that the extermination killed all of the fleas but not the eggs and they have since hatched.

Everything I read was to treat the pets, kill the live fleas and then continue to vacuum and vacuum and vacuum anywhere the eggs might have been laid (furniture, carpeting, etc.) and continue to kill the live fleas as they hatched.

This is only a possibility but would explain why there is more down there now than before.

Edited by Mandamom

For your basement?

molotov-cocktail-726949.jpg

:tongue_smilie:

(Have you tried FleaBusters? Not sure if it's in your area, but they also have DIY stuff.)

LOL! I'm thinking NAPALM might do the trick!

Fleabusters are not in my area-- Massachusetts but not Connecticut. It's seriously apocalyptic.

ARGH.

Is this to be expected after a treatment?

astrid

LOL! I'm thinking NAPALM might do the trick!

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.

;):D

(Ok, now I'll quit posting cheeky replies in the hopes that you get some real answers & perhaps there will be some info I can pass on to my parents too...)

Feed grade diatomaceous earth.

With an infestation as bad as you have got, I would sprinkle it liberally everywhere, especially areas the cat would lay, and let it sit for several days (since it sounds like you have the option of not using that space), vacuum then repeat until you don't have any more fleas. It may take several applications but it will be much cheaper than calling out the exterminator and much safer than the chemicals they use.

Feed grade diatomaceous earth.

With an infestation as bad as you have got, I would sprinkle it liberally everywhere, especially areas the cat would lay, and let it sit for several days (since it sounds like you have the option of not using that space), vacuum then repeat until you don't have any more fleas. It may take several applications but it will be much cheaper than calling out the exterminator and much safer than the chemicals they use.

This is what worked for us too. It took a while but it worked.

Agree with Mandamom. A week is more than enough to kill the adult fleas, but it obviously didn't kill the eggs. I think the company you used should retreat since they didn't take care of the problem.

Sorry you're going through this! I skiv bugs of any kind in the house. :tongue_smilie:

I've read that the eggs can lay dormant for up to 200 days. Then there was something about the fleas/larvae able to live without feeding for a couple of months???

I say "sacrifice" the cat. It's on frontline? So, put it back down there. They'll all bite it and die. Live bait. Yeah... that...give those fleas what they want! Bwhahahahaha!

Yes but we'd have to go down periodically to refill food and water and change litter for the poor thing!

Mejane, it was a local company out of Watertown with an excellent reputation-- we checked references! SO frustrating, but at least they're not up in the living areas!

astrid

Astrid,

We recently got rid of fleas without using chemicals (on us). I vacuumed EVERY day and we kept the dog poisonous by using K9 Advantix. It took a few weeks, but we are completely flea free.

Honestly, you'd have to go downstairs to vacuum (throw the bag away outdoors or put it in a ziploc bag in the freezer) and take care of the cat once a day, but most of the fleas would bite the cat and they'd die within 2 hours of that bite. If you don't go down other than once a day, you don't really provide a non-poisonous meal for those fleas and you're bound to be rid of them within two weeks (time for next batch of eggs to hatch, bite, and die).

I really like this plan. It worked for us (we think we picked them up at the lake and it serves us right for having let the Advantix lapse anyway). But then... I really try to avoid unnecessary chemicals altogether.

Good luck with whatever route you take!

Fleas ONLY in basement, which is completely sealed up, and devoid of all life save for the GAZILLIONS of fleas down there! $300 a week ago, and IT'S WORSE!!!

astrid

Maybe it just *seems* worse because they were starving?

• There is often a desperate need for flea control after a family has returned from a long vacation. The house has been empty with no cat or dog around for fleas to feed on. When the family and pets are gone, flea eggs hatch and larvae pupate. The adult fleas fully developed inside the pupal cocoon remains in a kind of "limbo" for a long time until a blood source is near. The family returning from vacation is immediately attacked by waiting hungry hordes of fleas. (In just 30 days, 10 female fleas under ideal conditions can multiply to over a quarter million different life stages.)

Also, this site says you might need to retreat.

It may take a couple of treatments to kill off the emerging adults as they evolve from the larvae stage within the first 4-6 weeks. For that reason, the best time to start a flea control program is in the late spring ,prior to an infestation.

To contain an infestation, fleas must be controlled: Whenever you see adult fleas crawling on your pet, it is only a symptom of a much larger problem.

Current studies indicate that adult fleas account for only 5% of the total flea population in any given situation. Eggs account for 50%, larvae account for about 35%, and the remaining 10% are the pupal cocoons. That means that for every single adult flea living on your dog or cat, there are 10 eggs, 7 larvae, and 2 cocoons.

These various life cycle stages will be found anywhere in the pet's environment, but will be most concentrated in the areas that the pet spends most of its time. Remember, when the adult flea on the pet lays an egg, it will fall off the hairs in just a few minutes....it is very similar to them sowing "seeds". So, areas where the pet sleeps or lies around will have the most eggs. If the pet usually walks through certain paths (either indoors or outdoors), t here will also be a substantial amount of eggs scattered in those areas. What this means is that environmental flea control must be spread over the pet's entire environment, focusing on the areas the pet spends the majority of his or her time.

:grouphug:

I have found fleas almost impossible to irradicate before. I have to take all the animals for a shot from the vet that was supposed to last six months plus treated them with front line. I also got an exterminator that came for once a month for at least six month plus extensive vacuuming. We eventually ended up moving and the fleas didn't go with us so I am not even sure all of that other stuff even worked. What's worse is I am extremely allergic to fleas bites so it was terrible until we got rid of them.

Due to the life cycle of the flea, you have to have it treated twice, I can't remember how many weeks apart because it's been several years since we went through this.

Anyway, 6 years ago I was dumb (in TX where nothing dies) and didn't keep my dog treated. He brought in fleas and it took us a couple of months to completely get rid of them. We vacuumed every single day and threw out the bag each time. We had flea treatments twice, maybe it was a month apart? I kept all of our animals treated with Revolution, washed the dog's bedding at least weekly, had to wash everything in the house, and had even the yard treated.

Ooooo. I know nothing about fleas, but I feel your pain. (I'm the one with the bedbugs.)

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

OH HONEY......those hugs are comin' right back at ya!!! I totally feel YOUR pain! And as I leave early in the morning to stay in a hotel for a dog show this weekend, I'll be thinking of you even more.

In my googling to find NAPALM that is available for online purchase, I found some chemicals that can be used on bedbugs---

http://www.pestmall.com/bed-bug-control-products/

in case you're interested....

HUGS!!!

astrid

Due to the life cycle of the flea, you have to have it treated twice, I can't remember how many weeks apart because it's been several years since we went through this.

Anyway, 6 years ago I was dumb (in TX where nothing dies) and didn't keep my dog treated. He brought in fleas and it took us a couple of months to completely get rid of them. We vacuumed every single day and threw out the bag each time. We had flea treatments twice, maybe it was a month apart? I kept all of our animals treated with Revolution, washed the dog's bedding at least weekly, had to wash everything in the house, and had even the yard treated.

See, the thing is, it's not really feasible to vacuum very carefully down there. It's been an unfinished, stone-foundation storage/wood shop area for years, and there are just so many nooks and crannies! it does have a wood floor, but you know those storage basements---- it's got a little bit of everything, thrown everywhere. Nothing upholstered, though--- just flat surfaces, but still.....not sure how we'd be able to vacuum as well as is possible on the living areas.

astrid

See, the thing is, it's not really feasible to vacuum very carefully down there. It's been an unfinished, stone-foundation storage/wood shop area for years, and there are just so many nooks and crannies! it does have a wood floor, but you know those storage basements---- it's got a little bit of everything, thrown everywhere. Nothing upholstered, though--- just flat surfaces, but still.....not sure how we'd be able to vacuum as well as is possible on the living areas.

astrid

Maybe that will make it easier? Will your pest control company retreat? Ours included a second treatment in the price. I think if you get it treated again, and keep your pets out of there and protected with a flea treatment in the meantime, they'll die off eventually. It's no fun in the meantime though, sorry you're dealing with that.

They are not on the pets--- pets are totally flea-free--- and on Frontline Plus. No fleas or flea dirt. No fleas on first, second or third floor--- I've done the light over the pan of water/dishwashing liquid tests everywhere.

astrid

Honey, step.away.from.the.MEGAPHONE!

Seriously- :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I've been there and I know it is frustrating and disgusting!!

There is often a desperate need for flea control after a family has returned from a long vacation. The house has been empty with no cat or dog around for fleas to feed on. When the family and pets are gone, flea eggs hatch and larvae pupate. The adult fleas fully developed inside the pupal cocoon remains in a kind of "limbo" for a long time until a blood source is near. The family returning from vacation is immediately attacked by waiting hungry hordes of fleas. (In just 30 days, 10 female fleas under ideal conditions can multiply to over a quarter million different life stages.)

This. We've had this experience. Twice our dog got fleas while being dog-sat at our MIL's house. We brought her home and discovered she had fleas and treated her. Once she no longer a hospitable host, our floors and furniture became infested big time and we humans became the feast instead. It was SO GROSS!! Plus, one of my sons was allergic to the bites and he ended up with huge awful welts. The second time this happened, we treated our dog and then left for a long weekend trip taking her with us. We returned to a house seriously infested. The fleas were biting my infant baby. I was in tears.

Both times, we found success after trying many other methods that did not work. Two words: FLEA BUSTERS. It was like a miracle cure! You can buy the powder on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Fleabusters-Rx-Fleas-Plus/dp/B000MS6Q2Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285909205&sr=8-1 and put it down yourself. One container goes a LONG way- we treated a 2500sq foot house no problem. It takes a few days to work completely, but when it does, you'll notice the difference.

In your case, I'd probably be tempted to treat both the basement and at least the first floor. That way if you have any hitchhikers on your pant legs, they won't reinfest upstairs once the basement becomes inhospitable. In fact, we moved into a new-to-us home a few months ago, with no hint of a flea problem, but we treated the floors anyway before moving in and plan to retreat yearly to prevent any future issues.

You must vacuum, as best you can, every day.

When you vacuum, the heat and vibration cause dormant eggs to hatch, so that there are *more* fleas the day after vacuuming then there were before. By letting these fleas go for a few days, you've let them multiply, big-time. So you must start again. Vacuum, daily, as well as you possibly can. You want to both suck up the fleas & eggs, and stimulate the eggs you can't vacuum to hatch, so you can vacuum the resulting fleas the next day, before they lay more eggs. Again, you must vacuum daily, because of the life cycle of the flea - you must kill them before they reproduce.

It sounds like your basement isn't easy to clean, but something is better than nothing. It might also be an opportunity to gradually declutter the area so that it can be cleaned easier. Putting things into plastic bins, for example, can help. Use one of the methods previously mentioned to kill or contain the fleas and eggs you vacuum up - put the vacuum bag in the freezer, or toss it and use a new one.

Also, if you haven't already, treat the pet with Advantage or Frontline. Do not substitute a lame imitation from the grocery store or something - they just don't work.

You might also want to take the pet to the vet, to get a sense of their general health. Sometimes, a lot of parasites can be an indicator of poor health.

In my experience, the vacuum daily treatment can be extremely effective after as little as three days. You might need to go longer, under the circumstances. I'd vacuum daily until you see no fleas for a couple of days.

The flea life cycle is two weeks long. The chemicals generally don't kill the eggs, which is the problem you are having. You can get them all gone without toxic chemicals but it takes time and diligence. I've brought home severely infested kittens before; I know this process works.

Whichever of you is the least attractive to the fleas should do the work. They have no food and will attack whatever comes down to feed them but some people aren't bothered by them. Vacuum very thoroughly and toss the bag immediately. Lay down a coating of 1 part baking soda, 1 part salt, and lemon essential oil (I use 30 drops for each 2 cups of powder) and leave it there. Coat the floor, any furniture, and any other place they could be hiding. It doesn't have to be a really heavy coat but it should thoroughly coat everywhere they might be hanging out, especially fabric items. In a few days to a week, vacuum again, toss the bag again, and recoat everything with the baking soda and salt mixture. Continue this process for a 2-3 weeks and they should be pretty much gone. How long it takes will depend on how well you got the house covered with the baking soda/salt mixture.

Personally, I would do the entire house. Use a broom to sweep the mixture into the carpet fibers. Sprinkle under couch cushions, etc. It should be heavy enough that you may notice a bit of the salt if you know it is there and look for it but not so heavy that it bothers you.

The adults will die a natural death within 2 weeks. The eggs that they lay in the meantime will never hatch because the mixture dries them out. You don't even have to treat the animals but normal animal shampoo is sufficient to get out most of the adult fleas.

This WILL work. Trust me...when I brought those kittens home they ran throughout my house for several hours before we realized they were covered in fleas. When I bathed them (and then locked them in the bathroom for a while), my bathroom was black with hundreds of them...literally. Normal cat shampoo (not the flea kind) and this treatment of the house was all I did to get rid of them.

The flea has several stages, the egg, larvae, pupae, and adult. NOTHING on the planet will kill the pupae stage. AND...the pupae can sense vibration and will molt into adults as soon as they feel it. So...everything was killed off by the exterminator that could be killed off. Then your husband walked down, the pupae felt the vibrations, and decided it was time to FEAST!

If what they used has any residual action the new adults will dies shortly and your problem will be over. Because of the life cycle issue you will never get rid of fleas in less than a few weeks. You have to wait out those pupae. Just give it a bit more time :)

Do you get it at feed stores such as Agway or Blue Seal?

I'm desperate, but first want to know why the $300 I spent on a professional with an excellent reputation didn't do the trick!

astrid

It did work. It killed what is killable. I bet the eggs, larvae, and adults were killed. But NOTHING kills pupae. So they probably used something with a residual that will kill the new adults that hatched out. As long as there is some residual action the new ones will keep dying as they hatch out. It just takes a while.

(as someone that has had to field COUNTLESS phone calls from irate pet owners asking "why didn't the flea stuff you sold me work?" let me promise you, it just takes time. It is working.)

astrid

It's worse because the pupae have been waiting to hatch until their was a food source. Your hubby became that food source and they all hatched out at once, HUNGRY. This is normal. there is no way to avoid it.

Oh that is what I was HOPING to hear!!

So we should just wait it out? The guy used Precor and Evercide EC---- I'm assuming those have residual effect?

As I said, we've quarantined the basement for now, so hopefully a few more weeks will be what it takes?

ARGH.

astrid

I would still be trying to vacuum and get rid of them, as hard as it seems, this is the real solution. We've had them this summer, wall to wall carpeting, I've had them under control with the vacuum, constantly washing the bedding and this weekend dh will be gone, I plan to shampoo the entire house and then I also was told about some stuff called Knockout that I have ordered and will spray in places that I can't vacuum everyday. Really I do not like to use chemicals and will not bomb the house. They will eventually go away if I stay on top of it. Combing the cats every day with a flea comb and checking for worms has been a must as well.

When I was a kid and our basement got fleas, if my mom had to go in the basement, she'd put on a pair of white socks that went up to her knees and then spray, spray, spray some sort of flea poison on her socks and then dash into the basement.

It doesn't get rid of the fleas, but at least you can get down into the basement and back without them all over you.

Yes! yes! yes! The pupae stage is not affected by any type of treatment(unless there is a residual affect)! Go down there every day and vaccuum as best you can. Go down twice a day and do it. The heat and vibration will cause the pupae to hatch and you can then get the fleas. I agree with those on vaccuuming and giving it time. We had an exterminator who came one time to treat and told us what I just wrote for you. It wasn't long and we were flea free after one exterminator visit. Go vaccuum and best of luck!!

The flea has several stages, the egg, larvae, pupae, and adult. NOTHING on the planet will kill the pupae stage. AND...the pupae can sense vibration and will molt into adults as soon as they feel it. So...everything was killed off by the exterminator that could be killed off. Then your husband walked down, the pupae felt the vibrations, and decided it was time to FEAST!

If what they used has any residual action the new adults will dies shortly and your problem will be over. Because of the life cycle issue you will never get rid of fleas in less than a few weeks. You have to wait out those pupae. Just give it a bit more time :)

Yes! yes! yes! The pupae stage is not affected by any type of treatment(unless there is a residual affect)! Go down there every day and vacuum as best you can. Go down twice a day and do it. The heat and vibration will cause the pupae to hatch and you can then get the fleas. I agree with those on vacuuming and giving it time. We had an exterminator who came one time to treat and told us what I just wrote for you. It wasn't long and we were flea free after one exterminator visit. Go vacuum and best of luck!!

:iagree:

Yes, vacuuming is an important key to this!! We have dealt with fleas two different times (once when we moved into a house that had fleas & once from a stray cat). You are supposed to vacuum every day for 2 weeks after the exterminator sprays. The vibrations from the vacuum make the pupae hatch. Until they hatch, they can't be killed. So, just closing the door and ignoring it is not going to get rid of them.