Menu

Children's Eye Exams & Glasses

How often do you take your children for eye exams if they wear glasses?

My son had an eye exam last December and got new glasses then. Last night, his glasses broke beyond repair. We weren't thrilled with the frames anyway (didn't fit well, bent too easily), so we plan to get different frames this time, meaning we'll have to buy new lenses too.

So now we are trying to decide whether to go ahead and have him get a new eye exam, or whether we should stick with the current prescription.

How often do children's prescriptions change? My son is 8, so no telling how long the new glasses will last, but hopefully longer than just until December, so I'm wondering how far beyond that we can safely go without a new prescription. Honestly, my opinion would be not to go for a new exam until he complains about not being able to see well with his current (which is what I do), but maybe that's not the best with children?

Also, any recommendations for a good value on children's glasses (decent quality and good price). We are on a High Deductible insurance this year and have to pay for all of this out of pocket now, so we are looking for a good deal.

I'd get a new prescription. I think for adults the recommendation is every two years, for children every year. My oldest has had glasses since she was two, and generally her prescription changed every year when she was younger. She's 14 now and it doesn't change much anymore, but we still get her eyes checked every year.

For inexpensive frames, try VisionWorks. They frequently (maybe always?) run a 2 pair/$99 deal which includes lenses and frames. We've always viewed the second pair as insurance :-)

My kid never complains about his prescription, even though there have been a few giant jumps at his annual exams :001_huh:. Which is why we do them annually, lol!

If you have an America's Best by you, they do 2 pair for $70, including an eye exam. I've used them a few times for ds and myself, and I'm taking my girls soon.

Personally, I like to have extras, even "old" prescriptions, around the house. In a pinch (breakage or misplaced... more often mine than ds's :confused:), an outdated pair is better than nothing.

I just asked my eye dr. this question this past week. His answer was if the child has no eye issues every two years is acceptable. Sometimes longer if they don't complain of any sight problems. But if the child wears glasses or has an issue, the child should have an exam every year because children's eyes change so quickly.

DD7 gets a new prescription once a year. One year she did need it earlier though, as the angle of her astigmatism changed a lot, and it made her tilt her head while reading.

Around here, the optical shops won't accept a prescription for a child that is more than a year old anyway. This year her prescription didn't actually change, but she needs new lenses anyway, because they're all scratched to heck. :D

I can't imagine not taking my child in every year.

My son never even complained he could not see the tv, computer or anything and he was seriously nearsighted.

He just went in for his yearly exam and his prescription changed yet he has never complained.

I went to Lens Crafters and I think I spent around $170 for frames/lenses.

We've always gone yearly, even before my son had glasses or we knew he had any problem.

For glasses, we had very good luck we 39dollarglasses.com . They had a large selection of frames. We spent the extra and went up a level to $79 and got him the bendable titanium ones. They've been great. And shipping was only $5 I think.

You could probably use your old prescription to order, but seeing as it is so close for him to be due again, I'd just take him to the eye doctor now.

Also, any recommendations for a good value on children's glasses (decent quality and good price). We are on a High Deductible insurance this year and have to pay for all of this out of pocket now, so we are looking for a good deal.

We've been taking ds in every year, but he's got one far sighted eye and one near sighted eye. And for glasses, I've ordered from Zenni Optical several times and have been very pleased with the glasses, service and quality. I just placed a new order last night for new glasses for me.

I take dd5 yearly. However I just get the prescription and order the glasses elsewhere. I saw someone posted on here about using Zenni Optical and I tried them and the glasses were $8 plus $5 shipping and sure enough they are the real deal. My dd5 now has a back up pair of glasses because I ordered some from Zenni Optical.

Just took my just turned 9yr old in as he said he couldn't see. He got his first pair of glasses last Dec. His perscription had doubled. We went to Walmart. $45 for exam and $38 total for lenses and frames. They also have a one year warranty on all frames for any breaks. We did not use any insurance.

I would go ahead and get an exam if I were you. My eyes changed every six months to a year when I was 8yrs to about 14 yrs.

HTH,

Kristen

Agreeing that you should go ahead and get another exam.

I just got dd13 her first pair and we paid $39.95 at BJ's Wholesale (the local equivalent of Costco). All children's glasses come with the one-year warranty and they'll replace them if she breaks them for any reason. I felt like that was a great deal!

How often do children's prescriptions change? My son is 8, so no telling how long the new glasses will last, but hopefully longer than just until December, so I'm wondering how far beyond that we can safely go without a new prescription. Honestly, my opinion would be not to go for a new exam until he complains about not being able to see well with his current (which is what I do), but maybe that's not the best with children?

It can change more frequently in the first couple of years they wear glasses. My oldest two went on a yearly schedule from the beginning, sometimes with big changes, sometimes not much change at all.

However, when my dd had had her first pair of glasses only six months, I could tell she was no longer seeing well. She never said a word by the way. I think she was eight years old. Her prescription changes have since slowed down, but she needed that new scrip mid-year. There had been a big change and I could tell just from watching her.

We're due for exams again in February, but I'm watching my youngest for signs he may need to go in earlier--and I'm seeing them. He kind of shoves his glasses closer to his eyes.

I take dd5 yearly. However I just get the prescription and order the glasses elsewhere. I saw someone posted on here about using Zenni Optical and I tried them and the glasses were $8 plus $5 shipping and sure enough they are the real deal. My dd5 now has a back up pair of glasses because I ordered some from Zenni Optical.

That's the place I was trying to remember recently. Thanks!!

My 6 yo is a bit of a glasses mangler. :glare:

I have three in glasses (two of them in contacts sometimes instead.) I take them every year at a minimum, but twice a year if they have a big growth spurt or their eyes have been changing a lot. I remember being a kid, and my mom took me twice a year. There were times I couldn't see well by the six month exam, and I can't imagine having been made to wait a year.

Like pp said, there is no way I'd go past a year. Eyesight is too important when you are learning.

:D Thanks for all the advice!! I'm not sure I've ever seen such a consensus here on the boards before!

We took him for a exam today and his prescription had changed from -1.25 to -1.5. So, good call WTM Boardies! :D New glasses are on order, and thanks to the poster who recommended the Titanium flex style. I think it's going to be just the thing for my active little man.

My son had an eye exam last December and got new glasses then. Last night, his glasses broke beyond repair. We weren't thrilled with the frames anyway (didn't fit well, bent too easily), so we plan to get different frames this time, meaning we'll have to buy new lenses too.

So now we are trying to decide whether to go ahead and have him get a new eye exam, or whether we should stick with the current prescription.

Children's eyes can change dramatically in a year, especially during growth spurts. This is not the case across the board, but it is very common.

We go every year, as a yearly eye exam is covered under the provincial health plan. Glasses are not covered, but ds and I both get our glasses at LensCrafters when they have their fall 1/2 price sale. I can easily get a complete pair (frames and lenses) for $79. I could get them as cheap as $39, but the range of frames at that price is usually ugly. I will pay more for nice looking glasses. I've worn glasses nearly all my life and I know how awful it is to have ugly dork glasses just because they were the cheapest ones available. I won't do that to my kid.

I took my (at the time) 6 yo son in last year because he was holding the book really close to his face when he read. He was actually far-sighted though :shrug He has glasses for reading, but his prescription is really mild and the doc said it's likely that he'll outgrow it. He's probably due for another exam and I was thinking the other day that I need to get my 5 yo in too.

Costco has really good deals on kids' glasses.