Menu

Questions about Disney World with 3 kids

We are thinking of going: me, DH, DS9, DS6, DS4. We would have to go in peak time, either Christmas or in March. We would probably spend 5-10 days and probably just spend time at Disney so it would make sense to stay in the park so that we don't have to rent a car. I read that they make you stay in the more expensive hotels if you have 3 kids. Is this true? Is there a reasonable place to stay with a family of 5? Also, is it possible to stay at a hotel with a kitchen at Disney?

My other question is about the rides. We will not go on any scary rides but would like to go on all the main scenic/entertainment rides. Our children need to be with us at all times. Do all the rides let you sit in a row of 5 or a row of 3? Or do some only allow 2 people to sit side by side so we won't be able to take the whole family at once? (I don't know if I explained this clearly enough) Also, DS4 is just under 39 inches tall. Will this exclude us from many interesting rides or just the scary ones?

Many rides are 2 or 3 deep. There are a few that have long rows (like Universe of Energy and The Great Movie Ride), but most are 2 to 3 deep.

If you want to stay somewhere with a kitchen I would look at Bonnet Creek. I keep reading fantastic reviews on it. It is not a Disney owned property but just off Disney and they have transportation to the parks.

Take a look at MouseSavers.com and DisBoards.com for a ton of info!

If you are going at Christmas or March, very busy times at Disney, I strongly suggest you have a good plan. TourGuideMike.com is an excellent resource and well worth the $20.

Dawn

We are thinking of going: me, DH, DS9, DS6, DS4. We would have to go in peak time, either Christmas or in March. We would probably spend 5-10 days and probably just spend time at Disney so it would make sense to stay in the park so that we don't have to rent a car. I read that they make you stay in the more expensive hotels if you have 3 kids. Is this true? Is there a reasonable place to stay with a family of 5? Also, is it possible to stay at a hotel with a kitchen at Disney?

We have always stayed off-site. We prefer it that way. We rent from one of the time-share places that have kitchens, multiple bedrooms, multiple bathrooms, washer/dryers. So, I can't really answer about staying on site.

My other question is about the rides. We will not go on any scary rides but would like to go on all the main scenic/entertainment rides. Our children need to be with us at all times. Do all the rides let you sit in a row of 5 or a row of 3? Or do some only allow 2 people to sit side by side so we won't be able to take the whole family at once? (I don't know if I explained this clearly enough) Also, DS4 is just under 39 inches tall. Will this exclude us from many interesting rides or just the scary ones?
Height requirements:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/height.htm <--edited to fix the link

As far as how many people per ride? This varies greatly. For example, we rode 3 and 2 on the doombuggies, we all fit on one row for Small World, Goofy's Barnstorming rollercoaster puts two people in each row, but the ride holds 16 people in all. There were times DH or I rode alone in a row, one with youngest and dds rode together. Or dh and I each rode with one of the youngers and eldest rode in a row alone.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Honestly, I wouldn't bother staying on-site, although there will be many people who will tell you that's the way to go. It is SO much cheaper offsite it will make up for the rental car. We live in the Northeast so we take the autotrain (the car goes with you) and it's cheaper than flying. We stayed at and loved Windsor Hills; multiple bedrooms/kitchen/great pool/uber-close to park :) There are lots of sites you can find rentals at. PM me if you are interested in where we stayed.

Most of the rides can accommodate 2 adults and/or 1 adult/2 kids. So if you have 5 in your party, one car would take 1 adult/1child; the other would take 1 adult/2 children. As far as your little one, there are some that have a height requirement of 48", but I would say the majority are probably okay for all of you.

The height requirement will be an issue. 40 inches is their cut-off for a number of rides. We went at the very end of Feb and beginning of March and it wasn't crowded at all. But I swore I'd never go again until all my kids are over 40 inches to avoid having one child and parent left behind.

I am wondering why March would be busy? Easter is in April this year so I would think March would be way less busy than Christmas. I have heard that Christmas is by far the worst of the holidays. I disagree that staying onsite is a waste. You get extended hours if you stay on site. I would never stay off property with 3 kids. Logistically you are stuck if one kid, especially the 4 year old, needs to take a break. Leaving, driving back....so much easier to jump on a bus and then come back later if need be. We go once per year at least for the past 10 years and joined the Vacation Club so we stay in villas. We need a 2 bedroom with our kids and the option of cooking and having a washer and dryer is great! Less to pack, cheaper for food, bigger units. I can't do hotel rooms anymore!

Funny, but as we speak I am sitting in the Disney Hilton Head resort in SC. We love it here and this is our home resort. I really like Port Orleans French Quarter if you are going with regular rooms. Better price and super accomodations. If you want to stay off property go with one of the resorts on Hotel Blvd just up from Downtown Disney. You are still "on property" technically and they have several choices.

Port Orleans Riverside has rooms that sleep 5. We have stayed there a number of times and love it!!! We've also stayed off property. We liked both, but they are very different vacations. Staying off property, there wasn't anyone to clean my room or cook my food for me. And, we had to drive. Staying on property, there wasn't laundry and we only had one room, one bathroom, one tv.

I'll let others answer about the rides. Some are definitely scary and my dd was afraid the first year. So, you are smart to consider it!

We love to stay on-site. We have done both and we much prefer on-site. I have put a kid on the floor or I ask for a roll-away. These are pretty easy options for a family of 5.

I like to stay on-site for several reason:

1. The ease of travel to/from the parks.

2. If you stay on-site you can get extra-magic hours.

3. You can go back to your room for a rest during the busy time of the day and then go back when the park is not quite as busy fully rested.

4. If you stay on-site, Disney will pick you up at the airport and drop you off at your hotel and bring your bags to yoru room.

5. Pools and rooms are themed and just make it all the more magical.

I think 4 is a perfect age to go to Disney. No, they might not go on every ride but the magic of Disney is more real and therefore more magical.

December is warmer but possibly busier than March. I've done both and I do love Disney dressed up for Christmas. All the versions of Father Christmas at Epcot are amazing.

I just went to the Disney.com site and put in a 7 day stay (6 nights, 7 days)for 2 adults and 3 kids (using your kids ages) and came up with a bunch of options.

At the Fort Wilderness Resort (in the cabins) with regular tickets (7 days worth) from March 14-20, 2011 and it came up at $3800. If you add on park hopper (more than one park a day-so NOT worth the money IMO, too much trouble) and water park option it's $4800. If you add the basic meal plan, 2 quick service meals (counter service) and 2 snacks per day/per person, it's $4400. Or, if you add the regular meal plan, which is 1 sit down or buffet meal (at almost any of the restaurants in any of the parks), 1 counter service and one snack per day/per person, it's $4600. We always add the meal plan because it saves time and money. For us the last time we went, our meal plan was $75/day (total) and one meal at a nice restaurant came to over $100, and there is so much food. At the sit down, you each get an app, a drink (non-alcoholic), entree and dessert. At counter service, you get a meal and drink and dessert. On the last day, we usually had 6 or 7 snacks left over and ended up buying bags of popcorn, chips, cookies, etc to take home just so we didn't lose them. :) You also don't need to worry with money or credit cards because it's on your pass and they keep track of them automatically. And each person gets a refillable resort mug, so you can fill them up in the mornings before you leave the resort with coffee, tea, juice, etc. You can have breakfast at the cabin and eat 2 meals and snacks in the park without having to go back to your room.

This is the info on the cabin directly from their site:

Relax with all the comforts of home in a peaceful wilderness setting. Each secluded Cabin sleeps up to 6 and features a full sized bed and set of bunk beds in the bedroom, plus a Murphy-style pull-down bed (full size) in the living room. Enjoy amenities such as cable TV, DVD player, high-speed Internet access (additional fee), Pack 'n Play® playard, private patio complete with grill and picnic table and private parking. The kitchen is fully equipped Ă¢â‚¬â€œ but don't worry, we'll do the dishes for ya!

We're those people who ALWAYS stay on property. We've never stayed at Fort Wilderness (there's only 3 of us-for now anyway), but have friends who rave over how awesome it is.

If you don't want a kitchen, you can stay at the Port Orleans with 5 in a room for $2700 (incl. tickets, but not meal plan). Or, you can stay in a family suite at the All-Star Movie resort for $3300 (incl tickets, but not meal plan). This is the info from their site on these rooms:

All suites have one queen-size bed, a living room with a double-size sleeper sofa, and 2 twin-size sleeper chairs, 2 bathrooms, a mini-kitchen, vanity area with sink, and table and chairs. All rooms are non-smoking. Amenities include in-room wall safe, voice mail, high-speed Internet access (additional fee), microwave, iron and ironing board. A hairdryer and Pack 'n Play® playard are available upon request. Wheelchair-accessible rooms are available. Located close to the Main Building, these rooms offer views of the parking lot, courtyard or pool.

For the extra $100 though, I'd go with Fort Wilderness. It's much nicer than the All-Star hotels.

We're BIG on Disney and go at least once a year to either WDW, Florida, DL Paris, or on a Disney Cruise.

Best of luck in your decision making.

I read that they make you stay in the more expensive hotels if you have 3 kids. Is this true? Is there a reasonable place to stay with a family of 5? Also, is it possible to stay at a hotel with a kitchen at Disney?

Also, DS4 is just under 39 inches tall. Will this exclude us from many interesting rides or just the scary ones?

Technically the standard rooms sleep only 4. With a baby or young toddler you are allowed to squeeze in 5, but to me 5 (or even 4) people in one tiny hotel room does not equal a relaxing vacation. The value resorts (Disney's least expensive) have a limited number of rooms with a suite option, or you could go with two adjoining rooms in the values. Moving up to the moderates (next step on the cost scale), there are some options that sleep 5. I don't know about the deluxes, but I think they only sleep 4, unless you rent points with their vacation club which can get pricey.

On the other hand, you can get a fully furnished 3 BR 2 BA condo within 10 minutes of Disney property (and about the same drive time-wise as a bus trip on property) for a little more than the suite cost at the values, and less than the cost of two rooms at the values. So if cost is a consideration, definitely look into your offsite options.

40 inches is the magic number for several rides. My youngest had just hit the 40 inch mark during the last year that we had passes to Disney, and it was nice to have more options available that we could all enjoy together. Of course there's still plenty to do even without those rides, so don't let that make or break your trip. But do be prepared for the fact that there are some rides your youngest will have to miss if he doesn't have a growth spurt before your trip.

Have a great time and do your research before you go--it's hard to see it all at any time, but when it's crowded it can be very overwhelming if you don't have at least a general idea of what rides and attractions you don't want to miss.

March is usually pretty nice in FL. December can be a little chilly, you never know. I think the pricier hotels do ask you to either upgrade to a suite or charge you a cot fee for rollaway bed. I think that's what happened to us at Portofino.

I have stayed on and offsite, I'm not phased either way. I like the freedom the car gives you especially if you decide to do a nonDisney day. We're local so I prefer to eat outside of the park gates because of the cost/wait times. We've not had good experiences with waiting to eat so dh refuses to even eat inside the parks now.

If you come in December, the Christmas shows and displays bring the crowds. Mickey's Very merry Xmas party is basically walking en masse from one area to the other with the crowd moving you along. It was difficult to manage in the rented stroller. A lot of fun though!!! Totally worth the seperate fee to get into this "selected nights" event.

If you check or forrentbyowner,ebay, and of course craigslist, you'd be shocked at how cheap off-site rentals are right now. In this economy people are struggling to pay their timeshare fees and are renting them out constantly and cheaply.

FWIW my gf comes with another family ever year. They rent a huge pool home in Davie then primarily cook at the house and take snacks to the parks. They've saved tons in comparison to earlier trips.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

We went last October and loved it! We stayed at the Polynesian and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. It is magical to stay on site, and so convenient.

March is likely to be busy due to Spring break season but Christmas is packed too. Early in March would probably be a good bet. When we went, youngest ds was 3.5 and 40.5 inches. It was perfect and, yes, you will be sitting out of some truly wonderful and age-appropriate rides if you go before 40 inches...to the point where I personally would wait until that height was added (lots of broccoli between now and March could do the trick!). Mine met the 40, 44, and 48" cut-offs last year and it was so lucky because that basically allowed them to ride everything I would have let them ride anyway. They are all looking forward to our next trip, which will be booked as soon as everyone achieves 48 inches. You have never seen kids encourage younger siblings to eat their salad to the extent our kids do these days! ;)

I don't know if anyone mentioned it (sorry I didn't read all the responses) but the All Star Music resort has family suites. They took two regular rooms and made them into one suite. You'll get a bedroom with a double bed, a living area with a pull out couch, a pull out chair and a pull out ottoman. It also has 2 full bathrooms and a kitchenette with a microwave, fridge and coffee pot. It's not too badly priced either. The only problem with that is that the bus provided by Disney runs to that and the other two All Star Hotels (sports and movies) which can make them pretty crowded and sometimes a longer wait.

I will always stay onsite because I've found the convenience of being right there in the Disney area far outweighs driving in from somewhere out in town. Especially if you're only interested in the Disney parks. In the end it's all a matter of preference, when I go to Disney I like it to be "All Disney, ALL the TIME" LOL

We went the first time with kids your ages. We stayed at the Contemporary that time. It was a nice hotel, on the monorail, close the Magic Kingdom, but yes one of the expensive hotels. Decent food court, great sit-down options. Great transportation. Pool decent, but not for littles - too deep.

The next time we went, we stayed at the cabins at Ft Wilderness. The kids were in the bedroom (bunk beds and a double) and dh and I slept on the Murphy bed (still not sure if it was a double or a queen). FULL kitchen! No food court. The only dining option was sit-down buffet Really good buffet, but a sitdown place. Decent transportation. Pool ok, not for little - too deep.

The next time we went we stayed at the family suites at All Star Music. Dorm size fridge, paper plates/cups, microwave. Great food court, no sit down options. OK transportation. Great pool.

The last time we went, we stay at the Poly, expensive hotel again. Decent food court, great sit-down options. Great transportation. Great pool.

Keep in mind Contemporary visit was about 6 or 7 years ago, a lot may have changed since then. At the Poly, I think the kids were 13, 10, and 7.

No idea about rides per se, but get the book "Disney For Kids, By Kids". It's great! It will tell you which rides are scary, dark, etc. Try to get this year's edition. I've found it at the library.

We just got back from a trip with just DH and I and 4 kids- 9,6,6,and 3. We were a little nervous about having no grandparents with us but it was great. We always stay off site. We just stayed in a very nice 2 bedroom condo with 2 baths, full kitchen, nice patio, awesome kids' pools, etc. for $300 plus tax for the week. Try finding that at a Disney Resort- it might give you 1 night. It would be more expensive during peak season but still far lower than at the Disney properties. Last year we shared a 5bedroom house with a private pool with my parents for $750 for the week. We could have gotten a 3 bedroom much cheaper if we didn't need the space. Most of the condos will provide cheap or free shuttles to Disney too if that's important to you. For us, we highly value having the ability to come and go whenever we want without waiting on a bus.

I bet it doesn't take us much longer to drive to our home/condo to nap during the day than it takes people on resort to catch their bus back. It would be really nice to stay on the monorail, though...

As for the rides, a lot of the good ones require 40in. but maybe your child will grow an inch in time. My poor 3yr old is so small she couldn't ride anything that a lap baby can't. She had a few fits of being sad about being left out but there was plenty for her to do while we waited and she had a blast. At 39in, he could ride a few more rides than she did. There were a lot of rides that 2 of my kids had to ride together. I know you don't want to leave them alone but even if you aren't in the same seat as your children, the cast members will ensure that you are on the same ride so you get on and off at the same time. Most of the time we'd be placed in the seat immediately before or after the kids but with things like Dumbo or the Tea Cups there may be some distance. And with the child swap, they will let one parent take the older kids while another waits and then the other parent gets to ride again with all of the eligible children so the kids get to go 2 times in a row if you want! Also, there are very few "scary" rides at Disney. There may be fast rides, but most are cheerfully themed and meant for children. My girls did not like the Dinosaur one and one was afraid of Tower of Terror, but they loved all the other rides for kids under 44in.

Edited by Paige

I am wondering why March would be busy? Easter is in April this year so I would think March would be way less busy than Christmas. .

Spring Break for many colleges and public schools! It's a peak travel season pretty much any place you go and the rates reflect that.

To answer the OP's question:

My experience has been that the more expensive hotels can't accomodate the larger family, so they want you to get two rooms. BUT...

We are going in 30 days. We are staying onsite at Port Orleans in a room with a trundle bed. I have 3 children about the same ages. Port Orleans doesn't have a kitchen but we were able to get on with the free dinning plan.

There is also the All Star hotel on the grounds which offers a kitchenette and a suite. I orginally booked at the All Star but it saved me $1000 to switch over to Port Orleans and get the free dining plan. We could have stayed in All Star and did our own meals but honestly, I did not want to do that on vacation. I had to save for 6 more months to afford to do it the way I wanted. ;)

And I'm really excited. 30 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to recommend the "Unofficial Guide to Disney World" We found this had the best strategies and information on how to make even peak season work.

:iagree: It also has a great description of almost every ride so you will know which ones won't be appropriate for your children.

Guest Cindie2dds

We just got back tonight! Actually we've been three times this year staying on site (The Polynesian), off site (on Bronson Avenue) with a car, and near (Hotel Plaza Blvd. ~ Downtown Disney) without a car.

Our hotel room at Downtown Disney was very nice and inexpensive. The hotel was set up almost exactly the same way as the Polynesian, but it was not "on site." We got it for $54 a night. The Holiday Inn down the street sometimes includes breakfast. It had two double beds (or a king) and a fold-out couch, so it can accommodate five. We took the public bus (Lynx 111) from the airport for $2 per adult. It dropped us off right across the street from our hotel and picked us up at the end of the parking lot for the way back to the airport. It couldn't have been easier and for a fraction of the cost of staying on site.

We didn't get the dining plan because it was way too much food for us the first time and our kids like to snack and are a little picky. We walked to the grocery store down the street the first night and stocked up for the week, then packed our lunches and snacks. Sometimes we ate supper in the park, sometimes we walked to Taco Bell, or Uno's Pizza (near our hotel). The hotel buses are Disney buses that take you to all six parks running every 30 minutes until one and a half hours after the park closes.

We really enjoyed this last stay the most. We had the convenience of the buses, no hassle of a car, walking distance to grocery stores, restaurants, etc.

Good luck and have fun!

Okay, I always feel bad that I can't help anyone with Disney, in spite of the fact that we're there so much! We do Disney-not-on-a-budget.;)

However, one of the things that I love the most about the rides at Disney is the family-friendliness. Yest, there's a 40" height requirement for the Mountains, Soarin', and Test Track, and a higher requirement for the wilder rides, but *most* of Disney can be done as a family with young children and even an infant in a carrier. I love the fact that the ride attendants don't try to bully you into a specific configuration on the rides. We've been on Peter Pan's Flight as a family of 4 in one "boat," before the 2 littles came along, and we've also done it in various other ways. It's always up to us. Sometimes, our older 2 will go on something in front of us, sometimes one of them will go with me and a younger sib while the other goes with DH and the other sib, so that they can experience the fun of the ride with their little brother or sister.

And yes, The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World is required reading if this is your first time.

We'll be there Oct. 5-10, and then again Nov. 10-20. We'll cruise on the new ship next spring, which reminds me that DS needs to send a video to our waiter from our last cruise. He promised him better footage of the "flag performance" that he could send home to Romania.

I hope you grow to love Disney as much as we do!

We've done both the timeshare route and the on-site route. There are advantages for both. Even though you are on-site, it can be very helpful to have a car. Especially if you have a long walk from the bus stop to your room with sleeping kids!! Sometimes waiting for the buses can be a big time waster as well. But there is something magical about staying on-site!!

I wouldn't sweat the height requirements, unless you know that your youngest is a daredevil and will be devastated to miss Thunder Mountain Railroad and Space Mountain! If a parent has to sit out with a younger child, you can ask for a special pass that will allow you to go on after the first group of your family without waiting in line!! It's good for (4 people?) So your kids will love it - they get to go on all the good rides twice!! And the Indy Speedway - Unless they recently changed the ride drastically, the height restriction is just for the driver - the passenger can be any age. And several of the other rides are too intense for the littles anyway. There are several nearby play areas for little ones waiting for other family members to go on the rides.

Have a good time!! If I had to choose - I'd probably pick March - Unless you can go in early December instead of the week before or after Christmas.

Staying on-site is much better than staying off site.

The cabins at Ft Wilderness are reasonable. They sleep 6, have a kitchen, and seperate bedroom. The only problem with them is getting anywhere takes time. Or you can rent points from a member of the Disney Vacation club. You can get enough points to stay in a one bedroom at the Villas at Animal Kingdom Lodge (cheapest 1 bedroom that sleeps 5) for around 2500 a week (standard view) or 2700 a week (savannah view) during March. March is considered "Magic Season" and is one of the more expensive times to go. If you go anytime in December up to 12/24 you will pay less, 12/1-12/14 is considered value season and is much cheaper (about $700 less for the week.) If you stay 10 days you may consider getting and annual pass, I don't know where that makes sense now money-wise, somewhere around there.

I haven't read other people's responses, but in case it hasn't been mentioned Disney is offering free dining during select weeks from 10/1-9/29/11. They also have a code for 40% off deluxe resorts till 2/16/11, The Polynesian, our favorite, is $219 a night (during value season). The Boardwalk and Beach Club are $204 a night (during value season). They don't have kitchens, but they do have a refrigerator and a coffee maker.

Edited by Karenciavo

I just wanted to add that we loved having the convenience of the park-hopper pass. We had gone without it in the past and having it made for a much more enjoyable trip, especially if you will be there for several days. You have the option of spending one day at one park, eat dinner, and then go to whatever park is open extended hours that night (if you stay on site). My dh and ds loved that Yeti roller coaster at Animal Kingdom (can't think of the name right now). At night they could ride it over and over with no crowds. Or if you don't get to do everything you want to in a particular park you can go back for 1/2 day, or re-visit a favorite attraction. It's really not a huge hassle to change parks mid-day, or at least we didn't think so.In fact, we really enjoyed taking the ferry or the monorail, etc. between parks. Just part of the fun. We also felt like we didn't having to stay until the very last minute to get our money's worth, so we would leave before the mad rush at closing time.

This was our experience anyway.

Thanks everyone! This is great information! I am now debating on or off-site since it seems we could save a lot off-site and there are still hotels that would shuttle us to Disney. Then again, some of the on-site hotels look really fun!

If we do get a place with a kitchen, are there grocery stores at Disney that would sell everything like raw chicken or are they more like convenience stores? If I stay in a hotel just outside Disney are there grocery stores walking distance? (that way I could still go without renting a car)

Is there any healthy food at Disney that is not very expensive beyond a sandwich or wrap?

What I am understanding from your comments on the rides is that we will be able to sit three in a row for the rides and that DS4 (under 40 inches) will not be left out of anything he would want to go on anyways. All my children get somewhat scared on carousels so we would not go on things that are scary at all but I'm thinking of things like "It's a small world" and boat rides and train rides. Also, the rides at Epcot that are more scientific. I know DS9 and DS6 would find them interesting and it would be nice to go as a whole family.

If you stay off site and don't rent a car how will you get from the airport to the hotel? Many limo services make a grocery stop for free. Quicksilver is one I've heard good things about.

AllEars.net has menus for all the parks and hotels. Most places offer healthy fare, I have the most luck in EPCOT: Sunshine Seasons, Yakitori House, Tangierine Cafe. What we do to save money is eat breakfast in the room, bring snacks to the park, have a late, big lunch, healthy snack at night as needed (is a Dole Whip considered healthy :D) .

My ds8 has been going to Disney since he was 1, he has always been able to go on many rides. There are probably more rides that a small child can go on than not.

When in March would you be going? I'm asking because the free Dining is in effect still for very early March - I believe that you would have to check in by March 3rd. In that case, you could stay at Port Orleans Riverside for $2700 for a week, and all your food would be included.

I personally LOVE staying on-site. But then, I am a complete Disney-phile!!! I am a native Floridian, and lived in Orlando for 11 years - went nearly every weekend. Now we are in MI, so we try to at least make it there once a year or so, staying for 8-10 days. Our next trip is booked for the week after Thanksgiving - very quiet time in the parks, and we are getting the free Dining. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Thanks everyone! This is great information! I am now debating on or off-site since it seems we could save a lot off-site and there are still hotels that would shuttle us to Disney. Then again, some of the on-site hotels look really fun!

If we do get a place with a kitchen, are there grocery stores at Disney that would sell everything like raw chicken or are they more like convenience stores? If I stay in a hotel just outside Disney are there grocery stores walking distance? (that way I could still go without renting a car)

Is there any healthy food at Disney that is not very expensive beyond a sandwich or wrap?

I am one that sang the praises of off-site accommodations earlier on this thread. I guess I missed the part of you not having a car. If you are flying down and don't plan on renting a car, definitely stay on-site. You can get Magical Express from the airport and won't have to worry leaving WDW property until it's time to fly home. Look into the dining plan, even better if you can coordinate your trip with "free" dining, and enjoy your vacation.

For me off-site works because I love the flexibility of having my car to drive to and from the parks, off property to shop, etc. Without a car, Disney just makes it too easy to stay on-site; transportation, food, everything provided for. Off-site shuttles are often too few and too far between and they're not always free. And the really nice condo accommodations off-site that you can get for a great price are definitely not walking distance from a grocery store. So unless you want to add a rental car to your budget, just stay on-site.

A hotel (actually suites) with two rooms and a full kitchen: The Caribe Royale. They also have a FANTASTIC pool. We got it for a pretty cheap price, you might want to look into it either directly or thru Hotwire or something. My kids loved it. Not far from Disney.

We just got back from WDW last night...so I just skimmed the thread. But I have 3 kids about your kids ages (9, 7, and 4), so I'll throw my thoughts in:

We really prefer staying onsite. We did off-site one year, and it just wasn't the same. That said, many people swear by it, so YMMV. We get two connecting rooms at Pop Century, which comes out to around $170/nt in the off season (we always go in September). We request a room with a king-size bed for one of the rooms, and we've gotten it both times we've asked (one bonus of the king size rooms is that most of them are handicap accessible and those come with a fridge for no charge).

Other on property options with a family of five:

*Ft. Wilderness cabins (I believe these have a full kitchen)

*family suites at All Star Music (these have a "mini kitchen" which means, I think, a fridge and microwave)

*Port Orleans Riverside--some rooms have a "trundle bed" that pulls out for a younger kid--from the pictures I've seen, it looks basically like a crib sized mattress on the floor...and then two double beds

*any deluxe resort except Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge (which, of course, are the two cheapest deluxes)

*renting points for a DVC resort--you can rent points from a Disney timeshare owner and get a 1 or 2 bedroom

The cheapest of these is probably Port Orleans Riverside--for a week it will save you maybe $200-300 over 2 rooms at a value (your next cheapest option, I think). We considered doing this this year, but felt we'd be too cramped for a whole week.

As has been mentioned, definitely check on free dining. If you're planning to eat out most of the time, we find that free dining for the 5 of us pretty much erases the price difference between on and off site (staying onsite you also have free transportation and/or free parking).

As far as rides...there are a few where you'll have a problem is your 9 year old can't/won't ride alone or if your 9 and 6 year old won't ride together. Mostly on roller coasters and other more intense rides, though, so if you're planning to avoid those, you'd be fine. I'd say, however, that Disney's idea of a "thrill ride" is much different from, say, Six Flags. They're very heavily themed and generally are as much about the story and the theming as the actual ride experience. I.e. I wouldn't avoid thrill rides because you don't enjoy them at other parks; very few Disney rides are particularly intense by today's standards. My four year old tried and loved everything he was tall enough for (and he was tall enough for almost everything). If your youngest is 39 inches barefoot now, I'd say there's a very good chance he'll be tall enough for the 40" rides by the time of your trip. It is something to think about, though--there's still plenty of rides with no height restrictions, but if he's like my 4 year old it would be very hard on him to watch his older siblings ride things he can't.

We went a couple of years ago when we had 3 littles. I highly recommend the book The Unofficial Guide to Disney World by Bob Sehlinger. It sells for less than $15 at Amazon and it was great. I lent it to a friend who went earlier than us and she found it quite useful. I am sure there are other comparable options, but I remember my aunt using the book when we went w/ my cousins 20 years ago (we teased her mercilessly about the constant consulting of "the book"), so I was a loyal returning customer. :) My ILs are taking us again next year and I will be buying the book again for our trip next year. We don't go often, but it will be staple when we do go. Oh, and he totally breaks down the pros and cons of staying on/off site, rides and their content. Since you are going at a particularly busy time you may find the touring plans particularly useful in maximizing your time at the parks.

Happy planning! :)

We LOVE staying on-site, and LOVE the dining plan. Buying the fun extras, like Mickey Mouse ice cream ears, can really add up even if you bring in snacks and leave for meals. And what's the fun of Disney if ya can't eat Mickey ears, I ask you? :lol: And while it certainly can be cheaper to eat offsite, it's not as cheap as you might imagine; when we used to stay offsite, I remember that even the fast food joints charged more than regular prices, and they definitely did not bother with the dollar menu. Plus, it just takes soooo long to leave, eat, and come back. There are often lines in the park, of course, but it works well to have one person in line while others are going on a ride.

Are you SURE you have to go at peak time? We're doing 4 people, 7 nights at the hotel, single park each day, 2 counter service meals and 2 snacks per day, for about $1850 during free dining in November. We won't need to buy any extra food, snacks or water. You will pay more for the extra person hotel-wise, but less for kids who are not 10 at the time of the trip. I think that's an awesome deal! The only things we pay for besides that is of course transportation to and from (we drive), and we always buy some cheap Disney pins online ahead of time for trading with cast members.

The onsite hotels are really a lot of fun for the kids. My kids were 6 & 8 for their first trip, and they were SCREAMING with excitment when they explored the room: Look, towels folded into Mickey ears! Look, the border is all different Disney characters! Look, look, the SOAP has Mickey Mouse on it! They loved all the little details, plus the great lobby with TVs playing Disney shows while we checked in, and all of the oversized characters and such that are all around the pool and property. My dh loved not driving for the entire week, that may have been his favorite part. We all loved staying immersed in the Disney magic, rather than traveling back and forth from the 'real world.'

It's definitely worth going to Disney online and playing around with the reservations, putting in different dates and hotels. Your arrival date can make a BIG difference, so try really hard to arrive during a non-peak time! Mousesavers.com is worth a look, and the Unofficial Guide to Disneyworld is indispensable (I would try to get it from the library for browsing, and get the online membership rather than buying the book).

We've always found a sufficient number of healthy food choices at the resort itself; milk, juice, fresh fruit, salads with and without meat, etc. Of course, we usually go for the chocolate chip pancakes instead, lol.

You'll have a great time no matter what. We did several trips pre-kids, including our honeymoon, and this will be our 4th trip in 5 years. It's much fun, enjoy!

We just got back from Disney Friday night. We stayed off-site because we had a free place to stay. My mom and dad are FL residents, and their year round passes allow them (and us by extension) free parking. However, without the free place to stay, we would have stayed on-site. We have stayed at the Beach Club a few times and love the convenience of the great dining in Epcot.

My 3 year old couldn't go on every ride, but he could go on all the ones he wanted to go on. His favorite part was meeting Mickey and Buzz Lightyear.

I have to say the best part of it for me was the ability of the restaurants to deal with my dd's gluten-free diet. From Cinderella's Royal Table to the Sci Fi Dine In to the quick service thing in Dinoland, she had options. That made eating on-site easier than dealing with restaurants off-site.

We are not the Disney experts that many on here are. We had a great time, and are looking forward to spending amday at Magic Kingdom with my whole family at Christmas.

I'd choose March over Christmas. It may be another peak time, but not as crowded as Christmas. The weather is much nicer, too. It's so unpredictable from Dec to Feb. You my get nice weather, or you may have a hard freeze.

We got a 4-day pass one year, and spread out our visits over several months (we live about 1 1/2 hrs away). Our first visit was during Christmas break. It was a cold (below 30 degrees) windy day, and most of the lines were over an hour long. Our other visits were on weekdays in Feb, Mar, and Apr. The weather was much nicer an lines were almost non-existent.

I would agree that Christmas is NOT the best time to enjoy the parks, if you can help it. If you could go sometime during the 3 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas, you get all the wonderful fun of a "WDW Christmas", but not all the crowds. Early March is a great time - actually, anytime January thru early March is great. May (before Memorial Day weekend) is also very good, but it starts to get pretty hot.