Menu

Help, please!

I just got back from the doctor's office and was told I need to cut coffee out of my diet. (no decaf either) :( She told me to give it 6 months and I would be amazed at how much better I will feel overall. I told her I'd try, but didn't think it would make much of a difference.

How do I just cut it out? All at once? Gradually?

I drink a 1/2 pot of coffee in the mornings and a 1/2 pot in the evenings everyday, sometimes more. I've been drinking it since I was 8 or 9 years old. I just don't know if it is that big of a deal to go through the headaches that come when I don't have any. :confused:

I guess I'd like advice from those who have cut it from their diets, plus stories of how much better it made them feel. Right now I am very skeptical. Or if any of you know WHY in the WORLD I would want to stop drinking coffee, please enlighten me. ;) The doctor told me I would actually have more energy, sleep better, wake up refreshed, and be in a better mood. But that seems backwards to me - I need coffee for energy and to ward off the crabbiness in the morning.

I have quit a couple of times but always come back. I have gone cold turkey and would NOT recommend that as I felt like a had a really bad case of the flu, especially the headaches. I would first cut the caffeine by about a fourth of a cup every couple of days til it is either all decaf for a while or totally quit. I don't think I felt that much better off of it. I actually crave the caffeine and always came back. Right now I am doing 2 tablespoons of caffeine coffee with the rest decaf for the pots we make here. I will eventually phase out the caffeine altogether. I was told to cut out all caffeine for health reasons and I am slowly getting there. He never said to cut out decaf so I am sticking with that!

Good luck!

But why cut down or quit? Is coffee really that bad for you?

There is some compound in coffee - even decaf - that is very bad for your stomach. I don't know if it's bad for everyone, or if it's only troublesome for those with excess acid/reflux/ulcers....but it's real.

You didn't say what doc you were seeing, but if it's for stomach issues you will see a huge improvement when you cut out coffee. Well, after you get over the withdrawal anyway. You may be able to have some after you heal, but will probably always need to watch your consumption.

This is a new doctor - we moved recently, so new place - and she seems very into doing things naturally. Not bad, just not something I normally care about. (I know, almost blasphemy to admit this here. :blush:)

The appointment was just a routine physical and thyroid check.

I told her I was feeling a bit more grumpy and moody than normal and really tired. Which normally signals to me that I need to adjust my thyroid meds, but my levels were where I normally like to be. I've been taking them long enough that I know what numbers are good for me.

So between the symptoms I told her, telling her I want to loose weight, and the cholesterol numbers coming in too high, she told me I need to start exercising, take fish oil, and cut the coffee. We'll re-evaluate in 6 months.

I know I am probably just feeling sorry for myself ... but still, adding in exercise and cutting coffee!?!!? *sigh* I'll do it, I may not like it, but I'll can do anything short term, right?

I haven't given up coffee myself, but I have a friend who did, 10 years ago, and she says it was the best thing she ever did. She felt so good after, that she then took soda out of her diet as well (about 7 years ago). She keeps trying to convince me and dh to do the same.. I could easily go without coffee for the rest of my life, but I really do think dh would shrivel up and die without his daily pot (yes, a whole pot, all by himself).

What about tea? Would your Doc be okay with you drinking tea in its stead? Depending on the type of tea, you could get just as much, if not more caffeine (although I think that would defeat the purpose of her telling you to drop coffee).

I've done that (but didn't stick to it.:tongue_smilie:) Since you are drinking 12 cups a day, you should start by drinking 2 cups in morning and maybe 1 at night. You will get terrible headaches if you cut it out all at once. You will be miserable while doing this, probably for a couple of weeks.

In another week (or 2!) try going to just 1 cup in the morning.

I love my coffee, but your doctor is right. You will sleep better and have more energy. I've been thinking of cutting back again. I had been down to only drinking green tea in the morning, but slowly the coffee has come back. First it was just 1 cup, then 2, then 3. I now drink at least 3, sometimes 4 cups a day. Every time I add more, I end up feeling more tired. Once it gets cold out it will be easier for me to switch to tea. I like keeping a pot brewed in the winter.

A friend of mine attempts to cut out the coffee every spring, but by fall she is back to it. Her husband and children don't like when she stops drinking it.

Well, I'm a coffee-drinker, so I feel your pain. Why can't you still drink decaf at least? I guess if I were going to try it, I would start making pots that have about a cup less than I normally drink, plus make it 50% caf/50% decaf & continue reducing/going decaf from there. Perhaps the caffeine is not helping you & it may make a real difference to cut it out. (I know decaf coffee still has caffeine, but maybe that's an amount you can tolerate?) I'd also up my water intake, just so you won't miss the habit of having something to drink, kwim?

I did cut out all Diet Coke for myself about a year ago (knew that was bad for me & I drank way too much of it). Now, I mostly drink either water or coffee. I guess I don't subscribe to the notion that coffee is bad for you. I think a cup or two a day is no problem (& am affirmed in that by seeing my super-healthy, spunky 75yo mil who still goes out to Starbucks twice a day for her cappuccinos -- twice daily coffee shop trips have been the norm for her most of her life).

So, I guess my rambling can be summed up as: I'd cut my consumption to about half & gradually get myself on decaf only. At that point, I'd evaulate from there, seeing if you see any improvements in going decaf & reducing your consumption some.

Personally, I do feel much better when I avoid caffeine. Caffeine is a stimulant, and that means that among other things, it stimulates your appetite. I have noticed that I cannot possibly hope to stick to the diet that I know is best for me when I am on caffeine, because it makes my sugar and carb cravings too intense.

Furthermore, while it does give me energy initially, I find that I have less overall when I drink it. I have more of an afternoon lull, sleepy time, get nothing accomplished time if I've had caffeine in the morning. I don't sleep as well either (even if I'm only drinking it in the morning) so I am guessing that is why. I don't know if this is true or not, but I have heard the argument that because caffeine is a stimulant, it over taxes your adrenal glands. So it gives you more energy initially, but with long-term use, it wears you down and makes you more lethargic.

That said, I see no reason you can't drink decaf. I love the taste of coffee, and I still have my cup of decaf every morning. It's part of a ritual that makes getting out of bed less difficult. :D I feel awakened by my decaf because of that familiar, warm, comforting taste, even sans caffeine.

I would suggest you give it a try. If she's wrong, and you don't feel better, you can always go back to drinking it! But if you don't try, you'll never know. Cut back to half the amount you're currently drinking, and stay there for a few days. Then half that for a few days, etc. Don't go cold turkey. The massive headache is just not worth it.

Good luck!

Personally, I do feel much better when I avoid caffeine. Caffeine is a stimulant, and that means that among other things, it stimulates your appetite. I have noticed that I cannot possibly hope to stick to the diet that I know is best for me when I am on caffeine, because it makes my sugar and carb cravings too intense.

Furthermore, while it does give me energy initially, I find that I have less overall when I drink it. I have more of an afternoon lull, sleepy time, get nothing accomplished time if I've had caffeine in the morning.

This describes me pretty well. I crave sugar every afternoon. I will do really well on a diet until 3pm and then I cave in on something full of sugar. Plus, if I don't get chores and errands run in the morning, it won't get done. I am so sleepy in the afternoons.

Decaf. Honestly, I just don't like decaf. I think it is bitter. I do have some in the house for guests who prefer it though. Maybe I'll try half & half while I'm weaning off from it.

Tea is okay - probably way more healthy since I put a bunch of vanilla coffee-mate in my coffee and don't put anything in tea. I'm just not as passionate about tea as I am coffee. ;)

Thank you to the couple of people who chimed in with a success story. I was loosing hope.

I feel like a big whiny baby about this. :nopity:It is so much less serious than other problems that other people have, but it seems like such a big change to me.

Edited by BramFam
Not only do I have to give up coffee, but I can't spell either!

I have given up caffeine many times and felt far better but always go back to it. :glare: If everything in life is going well I feel great w/o it, but as soon as a sleepless night or extra work hit, I go right back and can't give it up.

Coffee really upsets my stomach so I rarely drink it anymore. I am doing lots of chai tea lattes now. I would not go cold turkey. I have done that and the headache lasted for months. I would wean down over 2 weeks, then switch to black tea and then to green. I have been on 1 cup of green tea for 6 months, but if i drop it the afternoon headache comes back.

Decaf. Honestly, I just don't like decaf. I think it is bitter. I do have some in the house for guests who prefer it though. Maybe I'll try half & half while I'm weaning off from it.

Yes, I think this helps to use half of "real" coffee and half decaf while you're transitioning. And I agree, decaf does not have the full flavor of regular. But experiment with different brands, because that does make a difference. You might find one you like.

I feel like a big whiney baby about this. :nopity:It is so much less serious than other problems that other people have, but it seems like such a big change to me.

You didn't sound whiny! We all have our vices. I'd be upset if my doc told me to give mine up too! I've already had to give up everything made of wheat for health reasons. Anyone who tries to come between me and my daily square of dark chocolate, or my weekly glass of red wine is going to end up seriously hurt! :lol:

My uncle had to cut out ALL caf. due to stomach and heart issues. He only drinks water and herbal (naturally decaf) tea. He said to cut your intake of coffee in half every two days and to be sure to drink at LEAST a gallon of water every day. Long term use of caf leads to chronic dehydration, which is a lot of the symptoms you mentioned. It was totally worth it for him, he has been off al caf for over 12 years now. He said he doesn't drink decaf because it still has caf in it. He was a diehard coffee drinker who drank only coffee all day long. He said to tell you it was hard and he was sceptical at first too, but it was worth it a million times over! Good luck and HTH!

Loislane:001_smile:

when I cut it out cold turkey, I got such a killer migraine that I didn't have the strength to get to a hospital, and I literally felt like I just wanted to die. It was the WORST thing I have EVER been through.

I would cut back to half of what you drink the first week, then only one cup in the morning/evening the second week, then green tea for the third week. If you want to give up ALL caffeine, give up the tea the fourth week.

When I do give up coffee, I feel SO MUCH BETTER. But I still drink green tea. Nobody can tell me that it's not good for me. I won't listen. :001_smile:

I'm about to do this again shortly.

A friend of mine educated me on the health problems that can result from drinking coffee. She substituted her love of coffee with Dandyblend and now I am also hooked on it!

My body was lacking magnesium and calcium--no matter how many vitamins I took or how many veggies/fruit I ate!!

Here is their website!

http://www.dandyblend.com/coffee.htm

Edited by mammaruss

I would try cutting out the afternoon coffee first. When I have coffee etc in the afternoons or evenings, I do not sleep as restfully as I do with no caffeine. I know that many people say that a little coffee is not detrimental but honestly, you say that you drink a pot a day. That is more than the 1-2 cups recommended. I have gotten myself down mostly to one large cup of coffee in the morning. I try not to drink it any other times of day and honestly, I do feel better than when I drink a ton. Sometimes, the ton is necessary but I do pay for it later. :grouphug:

So between the symptoms I told her, telling her I want to loose weight, and the cholesterol numbers coming in too high, she told me I need to start exercising, take fish oil, and cut the coffee. We'll re-evaluate in 6 months.

For weight loss and lower cholesterol, I'd be focusing more on an insulin angle. That is, I'd be watching carb intake (think Zone, something along those lines). And exercise is always good advice (I'd look to do some sort of balance of strength training and aerobic).

I was off coffee for most of the last four years (pregnant/nursing), and I didn't see any benefits. I'm back on and quite addicted to my one mid-morning cup.

Personally, if I were drinking decaf, I'd still be having cream and sugar in it, so I don't know what good that would do me :tongue_smilie:

Unless you're drinking many cups (>3?), I don't understand the advice to quit.

ETA: if you're really drinking a pot per day, that does sound like an awful lot. I'd aim to get down to one or two per day, gradually of course and nothing after 3 pm, and if that doesn't work, then I can see the advice to quit altogether.

Edited by wapiti

I have quit a couple of times but always come back. I have gone cold turkey and would NOT recommend that as I felt like a had a really bad case of the flu, especially the headaches. I would first cut the caffeine by about a fourth of a cup every couple of days til it is either all decaf for a while or totally quit. I don't think I felt that much better off of it. I actually crave the caffeine and always came back.

:iagree:Caffeine withdrawal is horrific - I couldn't get out of bed for two days. Please cut back gradually. You can also get a bit of caffeine from other sources while you're cutting out the coffee.

I'm ashamed to admit that I always felt like I was in a fog without it so I'm back to about two cups per day, although I shouldn't drink any because of my hypertension and stomach issues.

That is odd that she didn't explain it. And she just mentioned coffee?

Coffee causes the body to be more acidic, but so does soda, tea, meat, dairy, etc. So if she just was encouraging you to be more alkalizing (which IS helpful for health), then you'd think she'd generally aim you that direction because if you still have a large amount of the rest, the coffee isn't likely to make that much of a difference.

And saying decaf means it wasn't the caffeine she was targeting (and again she didn't say soda, tea, etc).

I don't know. I think cutting your coffee from a pot per day would be a great idea; but I don't think I'd just take most doc recommendations without understanding why. And any reason why I can think of wouldn't make sense in this case.

Weird.

ETA: read a little more of the thread. It could be that she was suggesting cutting out coffee because it can effect the weight loss. First, though coffee can help one lose weight, it:

1) artificially helps you lose weight rather than letting the body chemistry to change so weight loss will continue/last based on that.

2) may include either sugar or artificial sweetners which both can cause issues with weight loss.

3) is acidic; the body releases fat more easily/lastingly in an alkaline environment (but then there is still the argument above about that).

Edited by 2J5M9K

Thanks everyone for the input. As much as I love coffee, I think I'll try the advice. She is a doctor afterall, and probably knows what she's doing. ;)

Eh, if after the 6 months I still feel moody and lethargic, I'll know I can go back to drinking it. Who knows, in a month or so, I may feel wonderful and talk all you ladies into quitting too! :tongue_smilie:

Dh even said he'll stop with me -- and he drinks more coffee than I do!

We can do it .... I think.

The appointment was just a routine physical and thyroid check.

I told her I was feeling a bit more grumpy and moody than normal and really tired. Which normally signals to me that I need to adjust my thyroid meds, but my levels were where I normally like to be. I've been taking them long enough that I know what numbers are good for me.

There is your answer. Caffeine can interfere with thyroid hormones. They also put a strain on your adrenals. Perhaps she is trying to help your body not need higher levels of thyroid meds. I know my doc warned me about caffeine when I went on thyroid meds. He told me that one cup of green tea was OK, but my daily diet pepsi had to go. I have never been a coffee drinker, but don't take away my morning tea (and yes, I am talking about the beverage.)

Jessica, you inspired me. I going to try and cut down on the coffee, maybe even cut it out. I know I've been drinking too much, but I also know how hard it is to cut it out. Hope you are doing well today!

:blushing: Glad I could inspire someone!

I did not drink any coffee last night - so that cut my daily consumption in half yesterday. I'll do the same today. Someone suggested cutting what I drink in half every 2 days, so that's what I plan on doing. Tomorrow and Friday I will have only 2 cups, Saturday and Sunday I'll have only 1 cup, then Monday will be my first caffeine free day.

To clarify, the doctor didn't say I couldn't do decaf - I did. I can't stand the stuff. And she didn't say tea or soda because I don't drink them. She told me to cut ALL caffeine from my diet and coffee is the only place I get it. I don't even eat chocolate all that much because the only stuff I've found I like is the expensive stuff and I refuse to spend that much money on candy. (Anyone else ever notice that Hershey's tastes like plastic? :tongue_smilie:)

Oh, and yes, I'm doing great so far. We'll see how it is come Saturday! ;)