Menu

So...What DO your kids eats??

I have one dd(10) will eat what i cook....nooo problem... but my dd(7), she eats a small group of foods: Steak, broccoli, bananas, cheerios, milk.... She has texture issues with sauce/mayo/katsup and won't eat anything with any sauce on it...

So, I am here looking for more ideas I could try while we are vacation.

Thanks

Robin

My dd6 won't eat sauces either so when I make pasta, egg noodles etc, I just pull some out for her after cooking before I add sauce. She likes them with butter and parmesan cheese. She also loves salads so that is a fall back food for us quite often. She will also eat baked chicken so that is on the menu at least once a week here.

Honestly, they eat what they are given. They have preferences and favorites, and I don't usually cook wild stuff, but they eat what they get. When they were younger they had to eat it and the only comment of dissent that was allowed was, when asked if they liked something they could say "No thank you, I didn't care for that." I never give huge portions or bribe. We always tell them "you never know if you'll be a missionary or meet the president". They are both great, adventurous eaters.

Will she eat hambuger without anything on it? DD9 hates mexican food (which we eat alot of), but will now eat tacos if I pull out some of the cooked hamburger for her and set it aside before I season it for the rest of hte family. She eats spaghetti and meatballs without the sauce. My DD is allergic to potatos (?), but loves sweet potato french fries. My DD will also eat pork and chicken if it is just grilled and served without sauces.

Well...

Dd17 eats anything she is not allergic to. That is not much.

Dd15a is very particular. She eats very little that is seasoned (other than salt and pepper). She does not like sauces with the exception of ketchup. Nothing with a puddingish texture. She does eat plain meats. She loves rice (white only). Fruits are her best friend. I can't think of a fruit she doesn't love. Veggies are a little more difficult. She does like green beans and broccoli. That is about it. If we have tacos, she will usually have chicken (plain) on a hard taco shell with cheese or make herself a chicken quesadilla with plain chicken, cheese, and a tortilla. It really isn't that difficult to make her meals alongside ours. She just likes hers to be separated (not more than two ingredients together) and not sauced or seasoned. She is also very good about cooking for herself if she doesn't like what we are having.

Dd15b eats pretty much anything.

Ds13 either eats what is available or doesn't eat. He has been known to skip quite a few meals.

Steak, broccoli, bananas, cheerios, milk....?

Honestly, that could be so much worse. You've got different food groups, even vegetables. If a kid had to pick a restricted diet, that one's not bad... though the steak probably gets pricey after awhile, huh?

I was a crazy picky eater as a kid. You can grow out of it. I did... in my early 20's. Sigh. While it is about texture and sauces and separating and all that... I think the root of it is control. Some kids will eat what they're given if you push it long enough. Others will not. And the harder you push, the more they'll push back. I can think of many times when I didn't eat enough and put myself into insanity when I couldn't get the foods I was used to.

I say just try to slowly expand. Bananas to banana sandwich. Broccoli to Chinese broccoli or broccoli and rice. or just put something on her plate several times a week with no pressure. It just has to be on the plate and encourage her to try it, but don't fight her about it. On vacation is the perfect time, actually because you're doing new things anyway. My kids often try new things in new situations that they won't try if I just serve them at home or they see them in routine places, like friends' houses.

I'd take what she eats and serve a similar thing, such as a hamburger patty instead of steak. Anyone who will eat brocolli is not too particular nor do they have too many textural issues. :tongue_smilie: Try a green bean instead. One green bean. Serve Rice Chex instead of cheerios. Offer a baby carrot - just one. Cut up an apple and give her one slice.

I have a picky eater who has sensory issues. Early on he refused to try anything "new" or weird. Now he will take a tiny bite of most things. His list of acceptable foods has expanded quite a lot. Also, if he ever deigns to eat something, it gets added to "the list" and nothing is allowed to be taken off. In other words, he is not allowed to say, "I don't like bananas anymore." when he ate them for 7 years with no issue.

My child wouldn't eat spaghetti sauce on his noodles for years, but he does now. He still tries to refuse or ask me to pick out the pieces if there are chunks of tomatoes. I have him pick out his own tomato chunks. I am not a tomato chunk picker outer.:tongue_smilie:

He tried to tell me the other day not to let anyone else eat any of the apple flavor of the 100% juice popcicles. I told him that they could all eat what they wanted and that if he wanted one once the apple ones were gone, he was welcome to have a different one.

Hope any of that random rambling was helpful.:001_smile:

Steak, broccoli, bananas, cheerios, milk....?

Honestly, that could be so much worse. You've got different food groups, even vegetables. If a kid had to pick a restricted diet, that one's not bad... though the steak probably gets pricey after awhile, huh?

the steak does get pricey after a while!!!

I tried the "this-is-what-I'm-serving-so-eat-it-or-go-hungry" ..she ate it and then threw it all up.... I figure maybe there is an allergy and her body just knows it better than I do.

she doesn't eat hamburgers.

Robin

Food jags are common and comforting to young children. I would not worry at all about it, esp if everything else is Ok with the child. Mix itup the best you can and serve whatever else you serve, making sure the new becomes familiar.

My picky child is now not. Dc will now eat pretty much anything. Food fights are not worth it. They only serve to stress and make mealtimes upsetting. It will pass, so it's best not to put too much energy into worrying.

Food jags are common and comforting to young children. I would not worry at all about it, esp if everything else is Ok with the child. Mix itup the best you can and serve whatever else you serve, making sure the new becomes familiar.

My picky child is now not. Dc will now eat pretty much anything. Food fights are not worth it. They only serve to stress and make mealtimes upsetting. It will pass, so it's best not to put too much energy into worrying.

:D

thanks

I tried the "this-is-what-I'm-serving-so-eat-it-or-go-hungry" ..she ate it and then threw it all up.... I figure maybe there is an allergy and her body just knows it better than I do.

Goodness! I suspect that you may be correct in assuming that she has an underlying allergy or other issue.:grouphug:

Honestly, they eat what they are given. They have preferences and favorites, and I don't usually cook wild stuff, but they eat what they get. When they were younger they had to eat it and the only comment of dissent that was allowed was, when asked if they liked something they could say "No thank you, I didn't care for that." I never give huge portions or bribe. They are both great, adventurous eaters.

:iagree: DS will tell anyone that asks that MaMa is not a short order cook. Here is the food. If you do not like it, another meal will come along in a few hours. DS is appalled when he has friends over, I cook a meal and then his friends do not eat it. They have actually asked me to cook something else! :001_huh: DS is a great eater, too, and can go anywhere and find something to eat.

Ds14 is the one with issues, and they are texture issues. He wont eat soup. He doesn't like anything that is "mixed up" so all casserolles are out. However...he will sit and eat a plate of raw vegetables (as longs as they are separate nad not mixed like coleslaw), so it is possible to get healthy food into him. Both my kids will eat salad...so it's a case of whatever I make, and however fussy they tend to be (dd16 is not so fussy), make sure I add salad regularly and we tend to cover most bases.

Both of my dds have different things they are picky about but they both eat a lot of different raw fruits and veggies so I really don't worry too much. I'm not a short order cook but I've figured out ways to cater each meal so that everyone has something substantial and healthy to eat. I do not want to fight about food - I just refuse. They are both healthy and I've seen both venture out quite a bit the past year and try many new things so I'm guessing they'll be just fine.:001_smile: I think food is one thing too many parents fight over - my own included (it didn't change what I would eat but it did make me feel bad).

If forced to eat something she can't tolerate dd will throw it back up. For her it is a texture issue.

I have worked with her since she started eating table food. When she ate baby food she ate everything so I know it wasn't a flavor issue.

I have a few rules and we talk about it fairly often.

She must make an honest effort. She isnt' allowed to say it is awful, nasty or whatever just because of how it looks. A very small taste is allowed. I'm talking like a 1/8 of a teaspoon. She must honestly evaluate it for texture and flavor.

If she liked it last week, last month or last year there is no reason not to like it today. So once a food is acceptable is it always acceptable.

I don't introduce new things (or old things for a retry) more than once a month. Dd knows people's taste change as they get older. For example, it took dd 5 or 6 tries over a period of 2 years to eat strawberries.

Since we talk about it things are very matter of fact. We keep it upbeat and try to make it experiment-like. I'll tell her that I'm going to buy _____ at the market. I'll let her know I'm going to prepare it on ____ day and it is time for her to try again, and maybe, just maybe, she will like it now. I'll give her her little 1/8 of a teaspoon sized portion and she tries it. Also if she likes it we jump around whooping and doing the happy booty dance.

None of this happens at meal time. I'll get her in the kitchen and let her try it there. She does now if she likes/tolerates whatever the new food happens to be she will get a small serving (like a half of a tablespoon) with dinner. She sees it fairly often (once a week) for about 6 weeks to solidify the experience.

Right now we are waiting on her to like eggs and fruit. I have gotten her to eat deviled eggs but not scrambled, poached, fried or plain hard-boiled. And the dislike of fruit kinda runs in her immediate family. She is waiting for the day she likes mango because she sees me enjoying them.

Good luck with your dd. If you decide to change how you present new foods to something similar, give your dd a week or so of her favorites without complaint and then let her in on the new system. You can even make a chart with stickers and prizes.

Edited by Parrothead

My oldest has sensory issues. She use to gag on babyfood if she got too much in her mouth. And too much wasn't much. And now, at 9, she still has food issues. No tomato stuff, no soft cheeses, no jelly, no pudding or jello and NO sauces. HAMburger with Bacon, NO cheese or sauces. Plain bread. Peanut butter sandwich, with NO jelly. She will eat salami and cooked hot dogs. No other lunch meats, and pizza without cheese, and she eats minimal amounts of the pizza sauce.

When we tried to force anything, she would gag. I'm not sure if she ever actually barfed, but the gagging is enough to make me wanna gag. It is known that she has sensory issues, so I guess that's part of it.

My kids pretty much eat whatever they are served. My oldest doesn't care for mashed potatoes, pudding, whipped cream (it's the texture), and one of my kids doesn't like peanut butter. I can deal with those dislikes and it's easy to work around them.

I do not, do not, do not cater to my kids though. I don't make separate meals. I have a friend with six children who will quite literally serve six different meals at dinner. I am not kidding. Spaghetti-Os for one, frozen pizza for another, scrambled eggs and toast, a hamburger for this one, etc. Uh...no. :001_huh:

Another mother of a sauce-hater here. I also pull things out from various stages of cooking. For example, raw tomatoes before being cooked, and plain beans before being cooked with a sauce.

Sorry I don't have much advice about travel. Chinese buffet (veges and rice and fruit)? Indian buffet (good for dry grilled chicken)? A big bag of snacks you carry with you?

Stir fry over pasta or rice is a favorite with my kids. We do celery, mushrooms, bean sprouts, red - yellow - and orange peppers, and leeks stir fried in olive oil and a little butter. Soy Sauce, limited amounts, are served on the side with a little sauted chicken. It's so yummy and it doesn't take me too long to prepare.

In my crock pot, I have chicken breasts sprinkled with salt, pepper, garlic, and a little thyme. On top are seasoned fingerling potatoes, carrots, candy onions, and asparagus. These will slow cook for several hours but not get mushy so the one that has texture issues in our house won't be grossed out.

Will your daughter eat tacos? If I cook my meat slowly, long enough, all of the sauce is absorbed.

Typical snacks: Homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, apples, yogurt, mozzarella sticks, homemade granola crumbled with milk over it, and Annie's Cheddar Bunnies for a fun cracker snack.

Faith

I have one dd(10) will eat what i cook....nooo problem... but my dd(7), she eats a small group of foods: Steak, broccoli, bananas, cheerios, milk.... She has texture issues with sauce/mayo/katsup and won't eat anything with any sauce on it...

So, I am here looking for more ideas I could try while we are vacation.

Thanks

Robin

On vacation. Are you going to be cooking or eating out? I've found that my picky can usually find something to eat. Sometimes, that is just a whole lotta dinner rolls, but they manage to fill up. At Taco Bell, she will get a chicken quesadilla with no jalapeno sauce. She makes sure she checks it before she eats it. At most restaurants, she will order an expensive steak.:glare: But, she will eat it all. Pizza places, it is a small pizza just for her with mushrooms and no sauce. Sometimes, she orders spaghetti with sauce on the side. (She only puts about a teaspoon on around 5 servings of spaghetti.) She is somewhat easy at home, because she will always eat tons of fruit, bread, and plain meats.

I used to be one of those "Eat what you are served." people. Two of mine threw up routinely until I changed my tune. It is far easier to slightly alter a meal for one than to clean up the vomit from the floor. One of my dd's did turn out to be severely allergic to MOST foods. I really wish I hadn't forced them on her. Of course, she is also allergic to most of her favorite foods... I suspect that dd2 of pickiness has intolerances/allergies to them as well, though much of hers seems to be more of a sensory issue. (ANd she loves broccoli.);)

My kids eat most things. Some favorites are sushi, salmon, orange roughy, cod, tilapia, anything pasta, roasted chicken, hamburger, meatballs, meatloaf, quiche, waffles, pancakes, most vegetables. They won't eat brussel sprouts or peppers.

The rule in our house is that you have to try it. If you truly do not like what I have made you can go and make yourself a sandwich or have a bowl of cereal.

What about those recipes for hiding foods in something else? Here is a link to the Sneaky Chef. If she likes desserts, there are brownie and doughnut recipes that have healthy foods added to them. I personally wouldn't keep it a secret because I don't want my kids to think that doughnuts and brownies out everywhere are healthy for them.

My 7 yo ds has been my pickier child, but it has improved greatly this summer. We started a small garden and have watched a lot of the Food Network shows. I think growing and trying things from home has helped. I believe watching all the shows this summer, mostly competition, has expanded his thoughts about food. He is even saying he might want to be a chef.

He is now eating onions and green peppers on pizza. He loves it when we have a green pepper come in from the garden. He wants to eat the whole thing, with a little ranch dressing. We ate at Subway last week and he ordered onions, green peppers, cucumber, and tomato on his sandwich. The employee was shocked.

I've always had to rule that they had to taste anything new, but if they don't like it I don't make them eat it when they are young. The older they get, the more I expect them to eat something just because it is good for them. He has never cared for salad or cole slaw, but now says he will eat them when I say he has to do so.

With time and maturity I think most kids can accept that they should eat stuff because it is healthy for them. My dh helps in this department. He admits to the kids that he doesn't like certain vegetables but he knows he needs them. He eats those first to get it over with.

Good luck!