Menu

I did something today that I never thought I'd do

Quiver0f10

Staples is great!:D I love getting the bindings taken off to 3 hole punch, put in page protectors or get a SPIRAL binding:lol: Only a homeschool Mom would get excited about such things.:tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Puts a little hop in your step doesn't it?! I just got another WWE done this way!

I haven't paid to do it but have pulled the pages out of most of my paperback 81/2 X 11 books too, especially all the SOTW activity books and tests. I felt the same way the first time, but it is much easier. :)

It's EASY to do this with Peace Hill Press products. I open it flat about in the middle, bend it until you can just see the glue of the binding and start pulling about a dozen or so pages at a time until I have it done. It takes me less time than driving there would (The nearest Staples or Office Max is about an hour from here and Office Depot would not do it.).

It was a little tougher with the parent manual for Apologia Physical Science though (which I put in a 2" binder with the answer key for Algebra 1).

I don't file, and don't plan to, but I've been ripping books apart for years.

I just had the binding cut off a thick book of blank maps, so I can coordinate them for our world geography study.

It cost $1.09 at Office Max. I was soooo scared when I handed over the book, as I had never had a binding cut off before. But -- I love it!!! Now I'm searching around for other books to have cut. :lol:

(DS is left-handed and struggles with thick bound books.)

I just had the binding cut off a thick book of blank maps, so I can coordinate them for our world geography study.

It cost $1.09 at Office Max. I was soooo scared when I handed over the book, as I had never had a binding cut off before. But -- I love it!!! Now I'm searching around for other books to have cut. :lol:

(DS is left-handed and struggles with thick bound books.)

It's addicting! LOL

Why do we love this so much!?!

I did it myself to our Phonics Pathways years ago and put the pages in page protectors and a large 3-ring binder. This year I'm using it with homeschooled children #s 5 and 6 and the whole thing is still intact and a vision of loveliness!

SOTW activity books I also tear up myself but love to take other books to Kinko's to get cut apart. I'm always looking for schoolbooks I can mutilate!!!

I had a moment there when I couldn't breath. I almost said, "Wait a minute, I changed my mind!" :lol: My pretty new books......But now they're filed and yes, I also am looking for more books to do this too. I called around and went to Office Max too. Same price--$1.06 actually. I guess our sales tax is a bit less?

I wonder if I should do this to our MUS books. They have just come out with a new format that is bound and hole punched. I could put them in the boys notebooks, and we could travel with math. Since these are workbooks there is no resale value. I'm guessing that isn't a consideration in the books you are cutting?

What do you mean when you say you are filing your books?

Awhile back I bought a used WS book that had been cut and I thought it was great. If i'd needed it for more than one child, I could have made photo copies easily and then sold it again. As it was, we just put it in dd's writing notebook where she wrote on the pages and we were really happy.

I have no doubt that books can be re-sold after being cut, drilled, etc. In fact, it may be a great selling point!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I wonder if I should do this to our MUS books. They have just come out with a new format that is bound and hole punched. I could put them in the boys notebooks, and we could travel with math. Since these are workbooks there is no resale value. I'm guessing that isn't a consideration in the books you are cutting?

What do you mean when you say you are filing your books?

I made copies/printed all the papers/worksheets we will need for the year and have them filed by the week.

I'm bringing in OPGTR tomorrow. We'll be using it for another 1.5 years at least, and it's so awkward!

I was thinking of doing the same with AAS. Not as bulky, but it would be nice to just be able to lay it down when dictating(and baking..lol) and not have it close on me.

My older girls each have a couple workbooks that they don't want me to file, but they are already fighting with them for righting close to the binding, so I'll just bite the bullet and do it.

Guest Cindie2dds
I had Staples cut the binding off a book so I could file the pages. :svengo::D

That's the first thing I do when I get my school books in, but I spiral bind everything! :D

Guest TheBugsMom

I like to get my books spiral bound after cutting the spine off. Keeps everything together and does not interfere with copying single pages. I do however have the printers make a copy of certain pages if there are multiple copies I need to make. He will do this before binding. For me it works great. I also have the spines cut off of workbooks and have them spiral bound. Makes working all the pages simpler and gets neater handwriting results too.

I've done AAS and OPGTTR and then filed them. It's so nice to be able to have my whole week's worth of needed teacher's guides in just one binder.

I'm bringing in OPGTR tomorrow. We'll be using it for another 1.5 years at least, and it's so awkward!

I was thinking of doing the same with AAS. Not as bulky, but it would be nice to just be able to lay it down when dictating(and baking..lol) and not have it close on me.

My older girls each have a couple workbooks that they don't want me to file, but they are already fighting with them for righting close to the binding, so I'll just bite the bullet and do it.