Menu

When was there no more "Tooth Fairy"

Not yet, lol. :tongue_smilie:Even though my dds12 know there's no tooth fairy, we still do it for them--or we did. dd1 just lost her last tooth. sniff, sniff. In my birth family, and now in mine, we continued traditions like Santa, the EB, and the TF long after we all knew they were imaginary; it's like a fun game to play.

I can't say when the realization dawned on ds b/c we generally have a don't ask, don't tell policy on mysterious gift-bearers. I think both dds are still believers. I can say that she stopped taking the teeth of children in double digits.

There's a good chance she will have reached her limit on our household before #4 and #5 begin losing teeth. The wo/man behind the curtain will probably retire. It's become a miserable tradition for a couple that loves its sleep, and has children that stay up too late!

:lol: I guess my kids were, maybe, 5 and 7. Five year-old asked if tooth fairy is real and I told him "No, I put the $ under your pillow." He smiled and went on his merry way. Seven year-old had a melt down. He laughs about it now, but, man! Was he upset!

We've always pretended with the tooth fairy. My kids know it isn't real. My 11yo daughter went to camp last week and had a tooth fall out while she was there. She came home, handed me the tooth, and said, "The tooth fairy couldn't find me at camp, so I hope you'll (wink) find me now." ROFLOL. Gold digger.

The tooth fairy stops coming once all teeth have fallen out :) We too have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy :lol: My mother always said that if you stop believing, you stop receiving!

Our youngest is down to 2 remaining baby teeth, as of last night. All our kids gained and lost their baby teeth early-----ds had 4 at 4 months! OUCH!

pitifully enough, this is what transpired when my youngest (10 yo) lost a tooth about 3 weeks ago:he handed it to me and i handed him a dollar and a pack of sugar-free gum. . .this will probably continue until he loses his last one. . .as youngest, he "knows" but we still pretend, kind of! i think this latest is the result of that tooth that was forgotten under the pillow for 2 or 3 nights last year. . .;)

Thanks all :) I should have worded it more along the lines of "when did your kids stop believing" rather than "when do they no longer receive visits" lol.

My daughter just lost a tooth yesterday. She'll be 10 in a month and a half. She SEEMS to still believe in the tooth fairy (I can't tell for sure if she knows and is "playing us" LOL. But she seems to still really believe). She's known for years that there's no Santa, easter bunny etc (particularly since we are not Christian anyway). But she's gotten a lot of mileage out of the Tooth Fairy. :D

We kept her going for a loooong time. I'd even have other people write the note to my dd as she always included a note to the Tooth Fairy with the tooth. She started getting suspicions that it wasn't real, and sealed the deal when she lost a tooth, didn't tell us, and put it under her pillow. The Tooth Fairy didn't show up. It must have been really important for her to know the truth, because her Tooth Fairy was usually very generous. :lol:

DD1 is the high IQ child, she wrote notes (which DH had to respond to).

She believes in everything!

DD2 is the street smart child. She figured out the TF, SC, EB and told everyone else. She's a know it all and likes to spoil all surprises,but she still wants me to slide her the cash (as if)

Lara

Tooth Fairy comes for the first tooth. Only LOL. She'd come for the younger kid's second tooth but that kid is the type like a PP's DD1 who would write notes and generally get more out of the experience than my elder ever did.

And TF doesn't leave money; she leaves a small gift (matchbox car, $5 lego kit, small stuffed animal, etc.) taken from the tub in the hall closet filled for just these types of occasions! She's a single mom who goes completely cashless, so there's never any cash around the house to leave. Any trip to the bank would rouse suspicion in the kiddies minds :D

These threads always make me feel like a bad parent. :glare:

We're probably the only family that never did Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus and Easter Bunny (that's because we don't celebrate Christian holidays, though), Saint Nicholas or Befana, whose kids never really believed in fairy tales or any kind of magical creatures and who always knew where the presents for any occasion come from.

They did, however, ruin the fun for a few of their friends each. :lol:

My eldest just lost his last tooth within the past few months (he'll be twelve in a few weeks) and he still received a visit from the tooth fairy. We don't do Santa or the Easter bunny but that kid sure milked the tooth fairy for all she was worth! :D

We have tooth fairy visits for as long as they loose baby teeth. Santa comes for kids that believe in Santa. Easter bunny fills baskets for anyone that leaves a basket out and carrots.

Way too long after ds11 stopped believing! LOL He was 8 (thanks, ps!) when he found out about santa/tooth fairy, etc. but we still did tooth fairy until this year. I told him when he turned 11, I was done.

ds almost 7 still believes and his brother has been threatened with mean bad stuff if he is the one to tell him! LOL

Edited by Tree House Academy

My almost 11-year-old son lost a tooth a couple of weeks ago. Of course, the tooth fairy made her visit. But, he did confront me very seriously and wanted me to tell me if there really was a tooth fairy. He said he didn't believe it could be so and that I had to tell him because it's not nice to fool someone and tell lies. So, of course, I had to 'fess up. Then he seemed so disappointed, and yet relieved, at the same time that I wasn't really sure I had done the right thing.

Anyway, he will still be getting visits from his tooth mommy until all those baby teeth are gone.

Lisa

OP - I hope you don't mind a slight hijack but...

What is the going rate for the tooth fairy these days? Ethan finally has his first loose tooth and I have no idea what he should get. I figured it should be something exciting for losing his first tooth. However, when I think about the four mouthfuls of teeth, I don't want to start something I'm going to regret!

Thanks,

There was no more tooth fairly for my oldest son when he made her mad by complaining about the amount of money he received.

:lol:

My oldest DS lost a tooth a couple of weeks ago. The next day he was talking to me about the money that the Tooth Fairy left. He was all excited and then suddenly stopped and said, "Are you sure that you or Dad doesn't just put money under my pillow?" It was one of those you had to be there moments but it was really funny.

These threads always make me feel like a bad parent. :glare:

We're probably the only family that never did Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus and Easter Bunny (that's because we don't celebrate Christian holidays, though), Saint Nicholas or Befana, whose kids never really believed in fairy tales or any kind of magical creatures and who always knew where the presents for any occasion come from.

They did, however, ruin the fun for a few of their friends each. :lol:

We do celebrate Christian holidays and don't do any of those. We did study who the real Saint Nicolas was and how Santa came about. We threatened our oldest with punishment if he spilled the beans to his friends.

The tooth fairy seemed especially creepy to us so our ds knows that mom and dad put $ under his pillow.

OP - I hope you don't mind a slight hijack but...

What is the going rate for the tooth fairy these days? Ethan finally has his first loose tooth and I have no idea what he should get. I figured it should be something exciting for losing his first tooth. However, when I think about the four mouthfuls of teeth, I don't want to start something I'm going to regret!

Thanks,

In our house, the first tooth gets a golden dollar. After that 4 quarters.

We do celebrate Christian holidays and don't do any of those. We did study who the real Saint Nicolas was and how Santa came about. We threatened our oldest with punishment if he spilled the beans to his friends.

The tooth fairy seemed especially creepy to us so our ds knows that mom and dad put $ under his pillow.

Nice to know we're not alone! And for tooth fairy - I totally agree, such a creepy concept indeed, a fairy that collects body parts (!) and replaces them with money (!), like, gradually selling your own former physical being. It sounds horrible - DH and I agreed in advance that we definitely wouldn't be doing that one. ;)

Regarding ruining the fun to others, we really tried to prevent our kids from doing it, but failed miserably at that. They took a whole thing way too seriously and were convinced it was their moral duty to inform their friends they had been "misled and lied to". :glare: :lol:

I find it really curious, though, that some kids figured it out so late, 9+ years old. From the scattered memories of my own childhood, pretty much nobody actually believed in any of those (i.e. they knew it was their parents doing it and they respected the custom, but everybody involved knew what was actually going on) even in lower elementary school, I think they've all grown out of it by the end of first grade, if not even before they started school. So it really surprises me what I read in this thread, kids 9+ years old figuring it out, I would have thought that by that age kids have way too much knowledge about the world around them, science, lack of existence of magical creatures from books, differing imagination and fiction from reality, etc., to keep "buying" Tooth Fairy, Santa and the rest of the crew. :confused:

(ETA: Just a personal observation, though, not that I think there's anything deeply wrong about TF, I just find it creepy.)

Edited by Ester Maria