Menu

Could you live with just 100 items?

I was reading this article in the NY Times yesterday-

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/business/08consume.html

and then I found this...

http://www.guynameddave.com/100-thing-challenge-faqs.html

I got off the consumer treadmill many years ago. I paid off all my credit cards (debt free for 5+ years), I use the library instead of buying books at the bookstore, I don't own a lot of clothes (:confused:), my kids are growing up and needing less, etc.

I'm going to look around today and see what 100 items I would keep and what I can get rid of.

Do legos count? We have have tens of thousands......:lol:

I also have more than 100 books.

If you include paper, I have more than 100 things just sitting on my desk as I type.

I am thinking it would be very hard for me to pare down that far.

Dawn

I don't really see that this necessarily limits buying stuff -- after all, if I already own something, it doesn't cost me anything to keep it AND isn't better for the environment if I get rid of it. I can see that someone would feel lighter with less junk, but I think it has more impact to stop buying new things. Esp since this is just a temporary thing.

I can over 500 jars of food for the winter plus dehydrate several jars of tomatoes, red peppers, and apple chips. So, unless I gave that up, which I am not willing to do, the answer is no.

We are in the process of paying off our debt and getting off the consumerism treadmill. But, we couldn't continue towards more food and energy independence on 100 items. If Ma Ingalls, had five people traveling in that covered wagon, a change of clothes for each person, cloth diapers for Carrie, pots and pans, a nightgown for each girl, sewing supplies, gardening implements, tin plates and utensils, a Bible, the family storybook, her china shepherdess, Pa's guns and ammo, plus his constructions tools, then she had well more than 100 things in that wagon.

If Ma Ingalls couldn't do it, then there "AIN'T NO WAY" I could!

Faith

I can over 500 jars of food for the winter plus dehydrate several jars of tomatoes, red peppers, and apple chips. So, unless I gave that up, which I am not willing to do, the answer is no.

We are in the process of paying off our debt and getting off the consumerism treadmill. But, we couldn't continue towards more food and energy independence on 100 items. If Ma Ingalls, had five people traveling in that covered wagon, a change of clothes for each person, cloth diapers for Carrie, pots and pans, a nightgown for each girl, sewing supplies, gardening implements, tin plates and utensils, a Bible, the family storybook, her china shepherdess, Pa's guns and ammo, plus his constructions tools, then she had well more than 100 things in that wagon.

If Ma Ingalls couldn't do it, then there "AIN'T NO WAY" I could!

Faith

:lol: Great post! I think you're right! The family about whom this article was written has the support of a big city around them. They can go out to eat if they want, they can go to the library to read, etc... I still love the idea of cutting back on consumption, and limiting future consumption, though...

Does this include food items as well? And items of clothing? If it includes food items, then I think it would be difficult. But according to that second link, it would not include food since that is shared.....or furniture.

This is very interesting to me. I think I'll go through my house and make a list of the 100 things that I would keep.

But it is obvious that those people do not have children. Children (especailly babies) seem to require more stuff.

Edited by ChristusG

I guess I could if I could combine all of my books into ONE BIG BOOK of Everything :) That is really my stumbling block to downsizing... books.

However, clothes could be simplified to 2 versatile outfits, food could be simplified to large containers :), cleaning and laundry supplies could be simplified to baking soda and vinegar, toiletries could be simplified to baking soda and vinegar.... :) Yes, I think I could do it with my big book of everything...

I don't really see that this necessarily limits buying stuff -- after all, if I already own something, it doesn't cost me anything to keep it AND isn't better for the environment if I get rid of it. I can see that someone would feel lighter with less junk, but I think it has more impact to stop buying new things. Esp since this is just a temporary thing.

:iagree: You could have a constantly rotating, different 100 things and that would do nothing for your wallet or the environment. I think having the stuff you need and use regularly, and being creative about completely using things out before replacing, makes more sense.

Only if I could include categories rather than individual items. :tongue_smilie:

I would have to include books as one category and food as another. I might be able to do it if every 50 books counted as one. If I had to go to the library for every book we needed or wanted to read in this house, the gas would be extreme and there would be a strong possibility of huge fines. :tongue_smilie:

100 items, no way. But unlike the article, we have to have a car, my dh owns a construction biz (he has over 100 drill bits, I'm sure), and we homeschool (technically another business enterprise).

However, we stepped off the consumerism track years ago. Most of my decorating comes from family pieces and sentimental items. We are intentional about bringing things into the house, it must serve a purpose.

I'm constantly on alert about overloading. If I buy an article of clothing, something must leave. I'm ahead in the getting rid of area right now.

We also keep a watchful eye on the maintenance of an item. Will it need to be serviced, does it just sit around and need dusting, am I using valuable storage space for something I don't need?

We don't live in an area that makes it feasible to cut back to that extreme, but we do live in a purposeful way.

According to his blog........

What counts as a "personal possession"?

This is a bit subjective, but I recommend that shared items are not counted. So a couch or kitchen table are not a personal possession. But a pair of pants or wedding ring are a personal possession. Basically, any thing you can say is all or mostly yours.

I think the general idea of the article is to be content with less. I don't think you really have to stick to the 100 item rule. I definitely think many folks think they need things which are truly not needs at all.

My husband and I chose to get off the proverbial hamster wheel years ago. It was so stressful! As a result we've been debt free for several years now. It's so nice not to have any of that pressure on our shoulders anymore. We don't use credit cards and we are happier for it. (Even when something major happens...a broken washer, a car repair, etc... We've always been able to find a way to make repairs or make do, without ever thinking of a credit card.)

For Christians reading this thread, there is a very interesting book out that has many thoughts to ponder on this topic. It's called Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream by David Platt. It helps us remember what Jesus taught us about how His followers would live. Very thought provoking... If we are content with live with less ourselves, we will will have more to share with those who need both material help and ultimately, the gospel.

I think this would be a good lesson for the family. See if we could each list our 100 things. What would make the cut and why? How hard or surprisingly easy would it be to get rid of the rest?

Then maybe we'd do it, at least in part. Say start with the "surprisingly easy" things we wouldn't mind getting rid of.

I'd start with the junk drawers!;)

Well, I guess we could all live with 100 items in a crisis or emergency situation, but to be honest, I think I bring more than 100 items with me on a weekend trip away from home, so I'm probably not the best candidate for this little experiment. ;)

Cat

Fascinating. Thanks for the links! I'm not sure if I want to do my own 100 thing challenge right now, but I do think I'll do an inventory to see how much stuff I actually own. I much prefer life with few posessions, but I suspect I would be surprised with how much I really do have.

But it is obvious that those people do not have children. Children (especailly babies) seem to require more stuff.

Really? My babies start with nothing except some sleepers, a couple of baby carriers, cloth diapers, one of those bouncy chairs (so we can sit across from them!) and a car seat. I've always thought that babies are so easy in this regard because they require so little stuff.

Could I? Of course. Would I ever want to? No. I need more than one hundred books. I have more than one hundred items worth of art supplies. And that's just for me. My kids probably have almost as much. I don't buy a lot of clothes, or very many electronics or anything. What I do buy in these areas, I use.

No. I couldn't live without more than 100 books! (Ok, technically I COULD live, but I feel that my life is enriched by having my books around, so I wouldn't).

But I have been trying to declutter some. DD and I really don't have a lot. We live in a 500 sq foot apt, but we do have some stuff stored with my parents. (Mostly books, who'da thunk?)

It is really nice to not be surrounded by STUFF all the time. I could see myself turning into a hoarder, because I get attached to my stuff, so I make a concerted effort to declutter every couple months.

I don't know, but I'm working toward it. I'd love to be able to fit all my belongings in a small suitcase. :001_smile:

i've also secretly wished i could fit everything i own in my car. obviously that wouldn't include furniture...but personal items.

According to his blog........

What counts as a "personal possession"?

This is a bit subjective, but I recommend that shared items are not counted. So a couch or kitchen table are not a personal possession. But a pair of pants or wedding ring are a personal possession. Basically, any thing you can say is all or mostly yours.

There's the catch!:) I was about to say that I'm sure I could live with 100 items - as in, I wouldn't die as long as I could stay warm, healthy, and fed... kinda picturing living in a hut or something... But then I noticed the above quote on the blog. I could do much better with 100 personal possessions! Still don't want to;)

I do want less, though. Rather, I want to not keep what I don't need or use regularly.